Cotton Candy

Four Ways
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I can't believe you didn't tell me." Lisa hissed, her voice an angry whisper. "It's like I don't even know who you are anymore."

 

I rolled my eyes, handing a couple of dollar bills over to the vendor in front of us.

 

"I'm sorry, I just don't like cotton candy. I never really got a chance to try it as a kid, and as an adult, it has way too much sugar." I passed her the bag of pink and blue fluff, watching her eyes light up. I felt a flutter of affection as she grinned at me, taking the bag and stuffing a piece into .

 

"But it's so good." She closed her eyes, emphasising her words. I found my face lifting into a smile as she ate. She looked so young.

 

"I take it you didn't get the chance to eat that stuff as a kid." I pointed out, wondering exactly how different Lisa's childhood had been to my own. Her eyes opened, and for a second, I could see a hint of hesitation in them. Then it's gone, and she's smiling again. 

 

"I didn't. But as an adult, it's delicious." Lisa replied, mocking me. She held the bag out, and I reluctantly pinched off a piece of the confection, popping it into my mouth. It melted on my tongue, pure sugar. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't particularly pleasant either. 

 

"It tastes like sweet nothing," I told her, shrugging. 

 

"A bit like your cooking," Lisa retorted. 

 

I raised my eyebrow.

 

Excuse me? 

 

Her laugh burbles out automatically, and her eyes do that weirdly endearing sparkly thing they always do when she laughs. 

 

"Come on." She held out her arm for me. "The beluga show starts in five minutes." She lead me through the winding pathway that separated the massive tanks housing the whales and dolphins. 

 

I'm still not entirely sure how Lisa persuaded me to come here with her today. The Thai girl claimed it was to distract me from all that had happened with Jennie in the last few days, but I wasn't sure I believed her. Things were still slightly awkward between us since the Nancy incident, and I hadn't spent much one on one time with her. Maybe today was her way of changing this. 

 

Lisa managed to find them a seat that wasn't wet, and I quickly realised that she'd already finished half the bag of cotton candy.

 

"You need to slow down," I warned. "You're going to make yourself sick."

 

She rolled her eyes. "I'm a grown woman, okay, and a dancer. I think I can figure out how much cotton candy is too much."

 

"Any cotton candy is too much." I retorted, eyeing the pink fluff suspiciously. "And why did you eat all the blue first? Too manly for pink?"

 

Oh . 

 

She's got that 'hold my bag imma bout to tell you everything about this' look on her face. 

 

"Well, like every sane human who's eaten cotton candy, I sometimes end up with a blue tongue. But if you eat the blue first and save the pink for last, your tongue ends up looking more or less normal." She looked so proud of herself that I almost burst out laughing. 

 

It's just so Lisa, something small and unimportant and yet it manages to take hold, one more thing that I didn't understand but would never change.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter