Chapter 20: Sooyoung and Yunho’s small date and Key and Jessica’s dinner with Minjae

When In Seoul...

 

---Sooyoung’s POV---

   “I’m glad that you finally have a boyfriend, Sooyoung.” The ahjumma blurted as she watched Yunho and I eat.

   “Ahjumma, please stop saying that!” I said, blushing. “You’re embarrassing me. And I don’t have time for guys right now. I have to keep both my eyes on Jaejoong.”

   The ahjumma just laughed and said, “If you don’t have time for guys right now, then how did you manage to go out with him?”

   “Oh, gosh.” I whispered to myself. I heard Yunho chuckle, and I just smiled sheepishly in return.

---Key’s POV---

   To be honest, these cameramen are really bugging me. They kept asking me when Jessica was coming. Before I replied ‘I don’t know’ for the fifth time, the doorbell rang and they started filming. I opened the door and it was Jessica, doing a big smile while holding Minjae’s petite hand.

   “Annyeonghaseyo!” Jessica said to the cameramen with a big smile as she entered my house. She also greeted my mom who was cooking dinner. “Good evening, Mrs. Kim.” She bowed.

   “Good evening!” Umma shouted from the kitchen.

   “Um…Jess, can I talk to you for a second?” I asked and pulled her to my room. The cameramen followed us. “Can you pretend that…”

   “Pretend that what?” Jessica asked curiously.

   I didn’t know how to say it to her because the cameramen were there, so I just whispered to her. “Please?” I begged after whispering.

   “What?! No, why?!” Jessica shouted.

   “Yah, you’re not the only one who’s disgusted by the idea.” I said. “Didn’t I tell you earlier that umma hates my rivals?”

   “Well, yeah, but that doesn’t mean that we have to pretend to be…together!” Jessica said.

   The cameramen gasped when they heard that. I glanced at Mr. Song and saw him gesturing me that I was doing a great job.

   I rolled my eyes in annoyance and pulled Jessica to whisper another thing. “If umms finds out that we’re not even close to being friends, you won’t get home alive!”

   Jessica’s eyes widened and she just nodded.

---Yunho’s POV---

   Sooyoung and I were talking about Jaejoong and his (annoying) attitude while walking home, which was quite disturbing because every time I think of that name, a monster pops out of my head, a scary one.

   “You know, if Jaejoong decides to go back to his old self, you’ll love to be friends with him,” Sooyoung said. “When we moved out of the city, his personality was the total opposite.”

   “I’d love to see that,” I sounded like I was joking, but, really, I wasn’t. “What was he like back then?”

   Sooyoung laughed a little before answering, “He looked kind of geeky. Not a lot of people know this, but he used to wear glasses. He only stopped using them when our father finally gave him his first credit card and bought a pair of contact lenses.”

   So that’s why his eye color was weird.

   “Oh, and he was very, very kind…and shy.” Sooyoung added.

   The clouds suddenly became dark and it started to drizzle. Sooyoung let out a swear word and ran to the nearest shade, which was the bus station. She sighed and smacked her head.

   “This is the worst time for the rain to come…” Sooyoung said. “My house is still a little far! I’m really sorry, Yunho!”

   Sooyoung seemed really down and exhausted until she looked at her right side, where she saw a few houses.

   “I know! We can go to Taeyeon’s house and stay there until the rain’s over!” She added.

   I wasn’t paying any attention to what Sooyoung just said. I was worried about what she was wearing. It was cold and she was just wearing a scarf around her neck, a sweater, and a skirt, which was just until above knees. Her socks were too short, too, so I gave her my jacket.

   “Don’t blame yourself.” I said. “My house is just a few hundred steps away from here. You can return my jacket tomorrow and I’ll just run as fast as I can.”

   “You know I can’t let you do that,” Sooyoung said, giving back the jacket. “My brother has cost you enough trouble. I don’t want to add another one by letting you get a cold.”

   I sighed and stood beside her.

   “Your brother will beat me up if I let you go home with a cold. My mom doesn’t care about my health, so I win.” I said while putting the jacket on her. “Go to Taeyeon’s house and stay there until the rain stops, ‘kay?” I grinned and ruffled her hair.

---Sooyoung’s POV---

   “Are you sure your house is near?” I asked Yunho as he prepared to run. He just nodded and ran really fast.

   I watched him disappear in the misty road as I sighed and looked down. I inserted my hands on the jacket’s pockets and felt something cold inside. I got it and saw an old picture of Yunho and Tiffany and a beautiful necklace.

---Key’s POV---

   I’ve been trying to tame Minjae for almost an hour now, but he still won’t listen to me, so I scanned his bag and saw 5 square lollipops with different flavors.

   “What is that?” One cameraman said while going near the lollipop.

   “It’s a lollipop, dummy.” Another one of them answered.

   “I thought lollipops were supposed to be round.”

   “APPAAA!” The two cameramen turned their attentions to Minjae.

   “Key, you’re a genius!” Jessica ecstatically shouted when she saw me looking at the lollipops. “We can give this to Minjae and he’ll calm down—“ She covered her ears.

   “UMMAAA!” Minjae screamed again. When I looked at him at the back, I saw him turning nonstop, like a crazy person.

   “Wait,” I said, holding the lollipop. “Where did this come from?”

   I felt the camera zoom in at the lollipop. I looked at the lens and I was right.

   Jessica took the lollipop from me and answered, “It came from Jaejoong. He gave it to Minjae when Minjae won’t stop crying because he tripped.”

   “Oh, okay—“ The PD stared me down. I remembered what he said to me at the school. He told me that I should at least pretend to be jealous so the viewers would want to know what happens to our story. “I—I mean…what were you doing with Jaejoong…?!”

   “Huh? Why are you so upset?” Jessica chuckled nervously. She called Minjae, then focused again on our conversation. “You weren’t there, so I asked Jaejoong to help me with Minjae for little time.”

   I glanced at the PD and, again, he stared me down.

   “But…isn’t Jaejoong your…old crush?” I hated doing this. I just don’t care about these two, I just don’t!

   “Yeah, so?” Minjae finally went to us and jumped at Jessica to snatch the lollipop. “Key, are you kind of…jealous?”

   I didn’t know what to answer, so I just stared at her and blinked a few times before hearing my mom call us for dinner.

   The PD told the cameramen to take a break, which, I thought, was silly because only 1 out of 5 cameramen held their cameras for an hour. The other four only placed their cameras in different spots.

   “So, why does Minjae act like that?” Umma asked me and Jessica while we were eating dinner.

   I glanced at Jessica, while Jessica glanced at Minjae.

---Jessica’s POV---

   I was just staring at Minjae while wondering…how did become like that? Since that time, when Jaejoong gave Minjae the lollipop, Minjae started shouting ‘appa’ everyday, even when Key was just beside him.

   Oh, my gosh! Could it be that every time Minjae shouts the word ‘appa’, he’s calling Jaejoong? I have to find out. Maybe I’m just inventing a stupid theory. But if my stupid theory is true, then I really cannot go home alive.

   “He’s just being hyperactive, that’s all.” I said, laughing a little.

   “Really?” Mrs. Kim said while looking weirdly at Minjae. “When Kibum was his age, he rarely says anything…until Music Bank happened. He kept saying, ‘I’m gonna be a star’ to everyone—“

   “Umma!” Key said loudly with embarrassment.

   I surprisingly found it adorable that Key was so ambitious.

   “I didn’t know that you wanted to be a star so badly,” I said to Key while he smacks his forehead in terror.

   “How about you, Jessica?” Mrs. Kim turned her head to my direction. “When did you become eager to be a star?”

   “Uh…”

   I was hesitating to tell it to Key’s family because of two things. First is that it’s because of my deceased mother. I don’t talk much about her. Second is that I’m going to talk about it to Kim Kibum’s family, and in case you’ve forgotten, Kim Kibum is my rival.

   “Don’t be shy; you’re a friend of ours. We won’t bite.” Mrs. Kim smiled.

   “Yeah, right.” Taemin said while chuckling.

   I glanced at Taemin, signaling him to shut up before telling the story.

   “Well…I’m not like Key, who had that dream from the very start.” I started. “I only started wanting to become a star when I was 12. My mother always convinced me to become one because she always thought that I was born to become that way, but I always went against her, so...”

   I started to feel teary because a bunch of flashbacks came back haunting in my mind, like the time that I shouted at my mother because she got me the wrong hairstyle, or the night before she died.

   “L-let’s just drop the story,” Key said. “It’s not our bus—“

   “Where’s your mother now?” Mrs, Kim asked, pushing Key aside.

   “She’s…not here.” I said.

   I don’t really use other words, like the ‘d’ word, when it comes to umma. It doesn’t fit her because she’s always so alive. Figuratively.

   “APPAAAA~!” Minjae shouted again.

   Oh, right. I almost forgot about that. Mission to know why Minjae keeps shouting the same word: START!

 

I'm really, Really, REALLY sorry for not updating often anymore! It's not that I'm abandoning this fanfic (no way). It's just that I've been having a lot of troubles with almost anything (that includes my PC restarting again, the exams, etc.) , and because of that I cannot concentrate on writing about what's going to happen next in the story.

Maybe I won't be updating next week, I dunno.

Anyway, please leave some comments! :)

 

[And tell me if there's a typographical error. :DD I saw one on the previous chapter. On one of the POVs, it was supposed to be 5:30 pm, but I accidentally typed 5:30 am, which completely ruined the sense of the sentence. xD]