07/21 • Clarity

Joo Hyun & Dong Hae [pt.1]: Stand By Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joo Hyun took her bag and walked to Lee Teuk's house. She breathed once before ringing the bell and waited for him to open the door. After the second bell the door got opened. Joo Hyun smilingly raised her head from the ground to face Lee Teuk but to her surprise she saw a person she wanted to see the last at this moment. "Dong Hae-ah, who is it ?" Lee Teuk shouted from inside and walked beside him. He smiled brightly when he saw Joo Hyun standing there "Oh, so you decided to join ? Come in!". Joo Hyun stood there for a few seconds, she was like frozen and kept starring at Dong Hae and back to Lee Teuk. She saw them two also the night before together, so what were their relationship and why do things always go against her ? Dong Hae also blinked several times at the guest in front of the door. "Joo Hyun-ah, it would be more productive if you'd come inside to eat. I don't think you'll enjoy your meal in the front yard." Lee Teuk jokingly remarked. This caught Joo Hyun's attention, she turned to Lee Teuk "Ah, yeah, right." and took a few steps closer to the door. Lee Teuk smiled and turned inside while Dong Hae took few steps back to make space for her. When Joo Hyun was finally inside of the house, Dong Hae closed the door behind her. "Shall..shall I take my shoes off ?" She asked him. "I'd suggest. Lee Teuk hyung has a little cleanliness syndrome." Dong Hae smiled, Joo Hyun smiled back and took her shoes off. "There's nothing wrong being so." Joo Hyun sweetly commented. "How do you know each other ?" / "You know Lee Teuk oppa ?" They asked at the same time which made them chuckle awkwardly. Joo Hyun brushed a strain of her behind her ear and was about to say something when Lee Teuk appeared with a tablet full with warm dishes. "Are you going to stand there forever ? Joo Hyun go in, I have another surprise for you." Joo Hyun frowned at his statement and wondered what kind of a surprise it could be since she thought there couldn't be anything bigger surprising than the man standing in front of her. She bowed to Dong Hae and walked to the living room. There was only one person typing something on a notebook and his back facing her direction. Joo Hyun couldn't quickly recognize the figure in front of her, she frowned and slowly walked closer. She looked back, if somebody was following behind her but it seemed like Dong Hae and Lee Teuk might be in another room. Joo Hyun felt awkwardness filling her inside and coughed once to gain the person's attention. The man turned around and it was none other than Choi Si Won. Joo Hyun was very surprised seeing him again after so many years and so was Si Won. He immediately smiled the moment he saw her and stood up. "Bae Joo Hyun!" He said and walked over to hug her. First, Joo Hyun didn't know how to respond but hugged him back anyways "Oppa!". Meanwhile in the kitchen, Lee Teuk was setting the table "So, she is one of your students ? Daebak! What a small world we live in." Lee Teuk shockingly commented. Dong Hae nodded "Yeah, but you still didn't answer to my questions. One, how do you know her ? Two, what is she doing here ? Three, I thought this would be boys dinner, that's why you didn't invite So Ra noona, right ? So why her ? She could feel uncomfortable." Dong Hae leaned in and whispered to him in a nagging tone. "Okay, I think you need to calm down a little. I already told you that you don't know her as much as me and Si Won know her, so it won't be a problem and if somebody is comfortable here then it seems like it's definetely you." Lee Teuk said while pouring in some water. Dong Hae looked back to check if somebody is coming and turned back to Lee Teuk. He continued whispering in the same tone "Maybe because I am her teacher and she is my student ? This whole situation here is indeed very awkward." Lee Teuk smirked "A little action in life wouldn't harm you." and left the kitchen. Dong Hae sighed, he didn't know how to deal with this situation after he had a mini, meaningless discussion with Tae Hyung. Moreover, he wanted to be alone with his hyungs. He quickly drank a sip of water and joined them in the living room. Si Won and Joo Hyun were sitting next to each other on a couch while Lee Teuk was sitting opposite of them on the other couch. Joo Hyun awkwardly smiled and looked at the ground at Lee Teuk's comment that she grew up healthily and beautifully. "Si Won, isn't it kind of funny that they don't know each other ?" Lee Teuk said while putting his right hand around Dong Hae's shoulder. Si Won had a shocked expression and closed his mouth "They don't right ? Right ? Daeeeebak!" Joo Hyun frowned at their reactions and looked at Dong Hae. "What are you guys talking about ? We surely know each other. She is my student from the guitar course." Dong Hae said. Joo Hyun nodded "And that makes him my guitar teacher. Mr. Lee. We know each other." Si Won laughed "Mr. Lee ?" Lee Teuk also chuckled but tried to control his laughter. "That's so messed up." Si Won said while rubbing his forehead, still laughing a little. Dong Hae sighed and turned to Lee Teuk "Hyung, you got worse than Hee Chul hyung by exaggerating situations. When are we going to eat because that's why we all are here, right ?" He looked at Joo Hyun. Hee Chul hyung ? So, he knows him too ? Joo Hyun thought. Just about when Lee Teuk was going to say something, her phone rang. Everyone looked at her, she excused herself and got up. It was Tae Hyung.

+ Hello ? (Joo Hyun was whispering)
- Ya, where are you ? I'm in front of your house ?
+ What ? What are you doing there ?
- Why ? I wanted to see you and also apologize but why are you whispering and where are you actually ?
+ Tae Hyung, look, let's talk about it later, okay ? I'm in the mids of.. nevermind I'll tell you later. No need to wait for me.
- Are you sure ? Then tell me where you at only ?
+ I'm- Wait, no why ? Are you my dad ? I'm hanging up. Let's talk later, bye..

The dinner was the most awkward occasion Joo Hyun had in her life. Si Won and Lee Teuk were the only ones who talked and laughed all the time. Dong Hae was surprisingly very quiet, he didn't talk much. Joo Hyun smiled and chuckled from time to time. Later she helped Lee Teuk with cleaning the dishes and prepared for leaving. "It was good seeing you again, Bae Joo. If you need something don't bother to ask, you have my number, right ?" Si Won asked. Joo Hyun smiled "Yes, oppa, I have. Thank you. Thank you Lee Teuk oppa for the dinner, it was delicious." Lee Teuk smiled back "Thank you for coming and helping afterwards." Joo Hyun heard Dong Hae's voice while she took her shoes "Wait, I'll leave, too." Dong Hae said and took his jacket. "What, so early ?" Si Won asked. They actually planned to say a little longer, having drinks and playing games but Dong Hae just nodded and bid his goodbye. He waited for Joo Hyun to come in front of the yard. When the door closed behind her, Dong Hae was the only person she could see under the moonlight. He was standing there and waiting..? For her..? Dong Hae turned around and looked at her, so she walked the stairs in small steps down. She finally stood in front of him and saw him smiling to her. Joo Hyun could swear that it was the most beautiful smile she saw in her whole quarter life. "Do you want me to drive you home ?" Dong Hae asked. There it was again. Those ing heart beats. She blinked few times and tried to form logical words. "I actually live over there." She pointed at her house. Dong Hae looked across her hand and remembered it was the same point he saw Tae Hyung the night before. He nodded. "Then, let me walk you till  over there." Joo Hyun smiled What a gentleman! They started walking to the direction of her house. Joo Hyun tried to ignore her heart beats and the figure walking next to her but it was nearly impossible. She could smell his parfume which smelled magnificently and made her mind go crazy. "Soo.. about what happened earlier..." Dong Hae started. "Just ignore it. I don't want you to get a different image of me." Joo Hyun frowned He didn't do something wrong, though. "I don't know what you are referring to, Mr. Lee." She stated. Dong Hae stopped and turned to her which made her stop her steps, too. Dong Hae rubbed his temple. "I don't know about you but I stick strictly to the roles of being a teacher and a student and meeting outside the college in a friend's house seems a little bit..." He wrinkled his nose. "...weird maybe ?" Joo Hyun amplified. Dong Hae snipped his finger "Right, weird." Joo Hyun scratched her eyebrows, she felt a little disappointed. Maybe he is uncomfortable because his girlfriend. Maybe she is a jealous maniac. Joo Hyun thought. "And your not-boyfriend-bestfriend doesn't seem like he would've like it either." Dong Hae marked and directly into her eyes. Joo Hyun was frowning and didn't know who he meant. "Tae Hyung ?" She asked "What makes you think like this ?" Dong Hae shrugged his shoulders and smiled "Just a feeling." Joo Hyun was confused and smirked "Okay. I guess you're right Mr. Lee. It wouldn't suit me neither to be seen with a teacher outside of college who even supposedly is in a relationship. So, this kind of night - won't happen again." She continued her smirking. Something inside of her pushed her to be fierce and pissed off about this situation. She was dying to see him and here he stands lecturing her how wrong it would be. Dong Hae frowned "I don't have a relationship." Joo Hyun shook her head "Right, then goodnight Mr.Lee" She fixed her bag on her shoulder and stepped forward. "Wait, what ?" She returned and looked at him with a shocked expression "You- you don't have what ? You're not- What ?" Dong Hae couldn't stop himself smiling at her confusion. "I have no idea what makes you guys so interested about my private life but since you care about it, care in a proper way. I am not in a relationship with someone." Joo Hyun formed her lips in a thin line and bit her underlip from being too obvious about her happiness hearing his answer. Dong Hae looked into her eyes again "And I don't plan to be in one. Good night." He said in a cold tone and walked away.  

The next day Joo Hyun was in the cafeteria, her notebook and sheets in front of her and her cafe latte next to her. She was preparing a presantation for next week - which is the last week of the semester. She was also listening to music and got distracted by a certain line in Rihanna's Stay music that she had to think of him;

Not really sure how to feel about it
Something in the way you move
Makes me feel like I can't live without you
It takes me all the way
I want you to stay

She froze in her tracks and focused on the lyrics;

It's not much of a life you're living
It's not just something you take it's given

Round and around and around and around we go
Oh now, tell me now, tell me now, tell me now you know

Joo Hyun cringed her face and played the next song out of annoyance;

Blue jeans, white shirt

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter