20/21 • Bad Timing

Joo Hyun & Dong Hae [pt.1]: Stand By Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

UNEDITED

 

First, I want to apologize for this :(( But this is the original thought I had when I started righting this story !

But happy news right after: I think I didn't express myself clearly before since a few of you asked in the comments, if I'll make other stories after this. I mean, I probably would write different haerene stories buuuuut This story on its whole won't end so soon. Only the first part but there will definetely be a sequel. There are lots of things to happen in the future lifes of the characters and Joo Hyun & Dong Hae's love story has to witness lots of situations, too. So, keep in mind that we're not nearing the final for the whole story to end. 

 

-----

 

 

After their cinema date, Dong Hae and Joo Hyun went to the café near the sea and then Dong Hae drove Joo Hyun home. “Today was really beautiful.” Joo Hyun smilingly said. Dong Hae watched her with loving eyes. Before Joo Hyun opened the door, she noticed Dong Hae turning off the engine. She furrowed and looked to him “Why did you park?” She asked. “Let me walk you home.” Dong Hae said and opened the door to get out. Joo Hyun laughed “What? No, there is no need. I’m already-“But Dong Hae was outside before she could finish her sentence. She dropped herself back and watched him smilingly walking around the front side of the car to open her door. Dong Hae opened her door and gestured her to get out. Joo Hyun giggled “Thank you.” She stood in front of him and Dong Hae pushed the door close. “And also thank you for the awesome day and this.” She laughed happily, holding the plush bunny (this one) in front of her which Dong Hae bought for her in the café. “Exact the same!” Dong Hae said, holding the bunny next to her head with furrowed eyebrows as if he’d analyse the similarity. Joo Hyun playfully hit his chest “Ya!” She said. Dong Hae laughed, his lips and looked into her eyes “Then?” He said, handing her the plush animal. Joo Hyun also looking into his, took the bunny “Then?” She said “Bye.” She smiled. Dong Hae pouted slightly, grabbed her waist with his left hand and pulled her to him. “I don’t want to.” He whined which made Joo Hyun giggle. When she realized that Dong Hae pulled her even closer, she widened her eyes and leaned back. She turned back and then to him again “Ya, they’ll see us.” She whispered. Dong Hae sighed and let her waist go. “How about you-“Dong Hae stopped after seeing Joo Hyun’s expression change from happy to shocked. It was as if she saw a ghost or something. Dong Hae frowned and followed her gaze. He turned around and saw a woman standing in front of her apartment. Her body was facing the door and she tapped with her foot in impatience. “Mum…” Joo Hyun uneasily said. She immediately walked to her, passing Dong Hae who observed her actions with a confused expression. He locked the car and slowly walked behind her. “Mum, why didn’t you leave?” Joo Hyun asked. Her voice made Mrs. Bae turn around with a smile. She frowned right after seeing Dong Hae behind her and a plush animal in her hand. She raised her gaze to Joo Hyun, who didn’t look pleased at all. Mrs. Bae smiled fakely “Joo Hyun, my daughter. What kind of a question is that? Do you want me to leave so soon?” She said and looked to Dong Hae who slightly smiled and bowed to her. Mrs. Bae nodded as a response. Joo Hyun clenched her jaw and looked at her with annoyance in her face. “Who is this dear?” Her mother asked Joo Hyun, observing Dong Hae from head to toe. Dong Hae walked closer with a smile on his face and gave his hand “Hello, Mrs. Bae, I’m-“ He was ready to introduce himself but Joo Hyun interrupted him “A friend. A friend of mine.” Joo Hyun said, glancing sideways to Dong Hae. She mentally slapped herself, but this was the only thing to act in front of her mother. Dong Hae glanced at her in a surprised expression but then turned his head back to Mrs. Bae “Lee Dong Hae is my name.” He smiled. Mrs. Bae shook his hand and narrowed her eyes “Dong Hae…” She mumbled “This name seems familiar tho.” She thought. Joo Hyun bit the sides of her tongue. “Where are your parents from, Dong Hae?” She asked. Joo Hyun rolled her eyes “What does it matter mum? You still didn’t answer my question.” She crossed her arms. Mrs. Bae corrected her facial expression and smirked at her “Your dad and me are attending the last meeting of the Choi’s today. I came to invite you.” Joo Hyun bit her under lip and clenched her fist, after hearing her say ‘your dad’. She pursed her lips “Okay.” Dong Hae listened to the whole conversation, staring at the floor with furrowed eyebrows. “Is that all?” She asked. Mrs. Bae sighed “You can’t be longer than five minutes with me, can you?” She said in a straight expression and raised her eyebrows. “I wonder why…” Joo Hyun mumbled under her breath. “Whatever. Do you think I enjoy visiting you in this, this, slum?” She looked around with a cringed face. Joo Hyun chuckled out of annoyance and shook her head. “I wait for the day you realize, you’re only wasting your time by living on your own choices. You better listen to me…” She raised her eyebrow and wore her sun glasses. She waved to them both and left in a black luxurious car.

 

Joo Hyun looked after her in an angry expression. “Hey.” Dong Hae called, his hands in his pockets. Joo Hyun flinched a little from the sudden sound. She was too deep in thoughts of the scenario of her mother. “Oh.” She said and turned around, tugging her hair behind her ear. She had her gazed lowered “I’m sorry for not being able to introduce you as my boyfriend.” She said in a low tone. “It’s okay.” Dong Hae said, smiling slightly. Joo Hyun raised her gaze “It’s pretty new, just tell her when you feel ready.” He said smiling lovingly. Joo Hyun smiled back “Thank you, I…” She looked into his eyes “I…” Dong Hae raised an eyebrow slightly “I…” Then, she shook her head. Why wasn’t she able to tell him that she loved him? She exhaled deeply. “I…thank you.” She said which made Dong Hae chuckled “You already said this. Come here baby girl.” He said pulled her into a hug. Joo Hyun widened her eyes and tried to escape “Ya, we’ll get caught.” She whispered. Dong Hae shrugged “I don’t care.” He mumbled into her hair. “Every second with you is precious to me. I can’t waste it by thinking of others.” He said which made Joo Hyun’s heart pound faster. Dong Hae her head and gave a kiss on her forehead. He leaned back to take a look to her face and chuckled. “My girlfriend is so beautiful.” He said smirking. Joo Hyun bit her lip and blushed a little. “Dong Hae…” She said and wiped side to side. She hit him playfully “I get shy.” She pouted. Dong Hae laughed and caressed her cheek, he leaned in to kiss her but Joo Hyun leaned back “Okay, this is too much.” She said. Dong Hae was still in a leaned position and raised his gaze to her “Why?” He creased his eyebrows “We already experienced it, remember?” He asked smirking which made Joo Hyun think of their first kiss and blush. “Yeah, but not in a public place like this. This is my street.” She said and turned her head to the side. Dong Hae narrowed his eyes “Chicken.” He almost said in a whisper. Joo Hyun widened her eyes and raised her brows “Excuse me?” She said which made Dong Hae laugh a little. Joo Hyun turned her head to the side again, this time in an offended expression. Dong Hae leaned into her ear “But…” He whispered. Joo Hyun turned back her head and listened to him “I prefer it private, too. That way we can probably experience new things.” He said and smirking leaned back, not facing her. Joo Hyun widened her eyes and furrowed. Totally overwhelmed of the situation. Dong Hae faced her and smiled. He caressed her jaw and slowly kissed her cheek which made Joo Hyun’s eyes turn to him. They held the eye contact, then Dong Hae winked and walked away. Joo Hyun was just standing there with a crazy pounding heart, slightly furrowed brows and just observed him. She could see a smirk when Dong Hae got into his car. ‘He’ll give me a heart attack one day…’ She thought and looked at the bunny in her hands. She smiled and squeezed it. “Aaaahh…” She sighed lovingly, looking up to the sky and closing her eyes. She was so in love, it felt almost unreal. Her sunbath got interrupted by her phone ringing.

+ Yes?

-Unnie! Did it go out well?

+ *smiles brightly*

-Ya! Hello?

+ *shrieks suddenly and laughs* It went fabulous, Ji Soo.

-Omg! Details!

+ Not on the phone.

-Alright, then come here. I’m at Seok Jin’s.

+ Alright, I’ll be there in 5.

Dong Hae drove home with a smile on his face. He had his left hand leaned on the left door and bit the tip of his ring finger. Thinking of Joo Hyun’s several facial expressions. He was so distracted that he missed the red light in front of him and almost passed it. He slowed down too late which made the cars behind him honk. He gestured a hand sign that he’s sorry and sighed. He lightly slapped his cheek “Concentrate.” He mumbled, tilted his head and noticed the red envelope on the back seat.

Dong Hae was confronted with the red envelope when he arrived back from the trip.

Si Won waited in front of Dong Hae’s apartment for him to arrive. He didn’t want to miss his arrival, so he went in person and almost waited for 2 hours. When Dong Hae finally arrived with his luggage, he straightforward went to him and asked him, if he received any red envelope which made Dong Hae totally confused. He told him, he didn’t, afterwards Si Won warned him, if he would that he shouldn’t open it.

“Never, you hear me? It doesn’t matter which situation it is. Just ignore it completely!” Si Won told him with wide eyes, Dong Hae frowned and nodded slightly. He wasn’t sure of his request and didn’t understand the situation either, but he decided to trust him. And besides, he was too tired to discuss about it. Dong Hae went inside and his apartment and exactly as Si Won told, he found a red envelope on the floor. Someone had to slide it in under the door. He took the red envelope, analysed but didn’t open it – as Si Won told. Since he forgot something in the car, he went back and unconsciously took the envelope with him and put it at the back seat.

Dong Hae turned his gaze back to the street and drove away after the light was showing a green colour. It wasn’t a lie that he was curious what it could be but at the same time he didn’t want to be involved in any mess.

After a few minutes he arrived home and got out of his car. Walking to the door, he noticed Yun Ho sitting on the stairway. Yun Ho immediately got up after seeing Dong Hae in front of him. “Hey, sorry for disturbing.” He forced a smile. “Is something wrong?” Dong Hae creased his forehead. Yun Ho sighed deeply “You were right. She was indeed a .” He said, Dong Hae raised his eyebrows, looked down and back to him. “Want to come inside?” He asked and opened the door. In Yun Ho’s expression was sadness and fury. “Suit yourself. I’ll be back in a minute.” Dong Hae said and went into his bedroom, closing the door. Yun Ho took this as a chance and looked around his apartment. Dong Hae came out of his bedroom, which made Yun Ho flinch a little out of shock. He awkwardly smiled at him “You know Dong Hae…” He scratched his temple “I don’t want to disturb you right now. I just remembered that I have to visit mum in an hour. I just wanted to tell you, you were right and I broke up with her.” Dong Hae blinked and tilted his head “Are you sure? I mean, you still have an hour. If you want to talk-“Yun Ho smiled and shook his head “Thank you, bro. But I’m good.” He said which made Dong Hae nod “Okay.” He said. Yun Ho turned around and closed the door. ‘Where did he place it?’ He mumbled under his breath. He clenched his jaw and had an unreadable expression on his face. He rubbed his chin and went out. Seeing Dong Hae’s car in front of the house, he unobtrusive walked beside it and peeked inside. He smirked after seeing the red envelope and walked away.

 

 

 

 

Joo Hyun and Tae Hyung couldn’t properly talk since his brother arrived and Joo Hyun left to the summer trip, so it was a good possibility to meet everyone at their apartment. “Our Joo Hyun got more and more beautiful as she grew up, huh?” Chang Wook said to Tae Hyung. Joo Hyun smiled “Forget me, what did happen to you? You look like a movie star.” She praised which made Chang Wook chuckle. “But I’m sincerely disappointed at your little brother. He always forgets me, when he sees you. This is so unfair!” She said and pouted. Tae Hyung playfully rolled his eyes “Sorry, baechu, but hyung is not always reachable.” Joo Hyun smiled “I know. I was just joking.” Joo Hyun furrowed and looked around “It’s very silent here, which is totally suspicious. Where are the others?” She asked. Tae Hyung sighed “Everyone seem to have their bad day today. They’re probably sulking anywhere.” He said. Joo Hyun raised her eyebrows “Ji Soo is here, right? We wanted to meet here.” Tae Hyung gestured to the top “Yes, she’s upstairs with Seok Jin.” Joo Hyun nodded and bid her goodbye.

On her way to the stairs, she noticed Ho Seok frowning hard in the kitchen as he nagged about something. This caught Joo Hyun’s eyes because, she never ever saw Ho Seok in such a mood. He was always spreading happiness, regardless of how bad a situation is. He would just interpret it in a positive way and get along with it, but today he looked extra pissed off.

Joo Hyun wondered what might have happened to him but shrugged the thought off, because she didn’t want to disturb him.

She went upstairs to look for Ji Soo but she was no where to be seen. How can she not be here, when they had a talk and set up to meet there? Joo Hyun sighed and went down. “Tae Hyung!” She called which made Tae Hyung walk to her “Where is Ji Soo?” She asked. Tae Hyung blinked and shrugged “Aren’t they upstairs?” Joo Hyun shook her head “Anyways, I think I’ll better go now, don’t want to disturb your quality time with your brother.” She smiled. Tae Hyung apological smiled at her “I’m sorry.” Joo Hyun glared at him “Ya, it’s okay.” She smiled and opened the door. “Ah, baechu! There is a huge gathering of the parents tomorrow in the noon time. I also don’t want to go, but it’ll be the last meeting for this year. So, hyung insisted to go. Maybe you should too. I can pick you up, if you wish.” Tae Hyung explained. Joo Hyun cringed her face “Do I really have to?” She asked. Tae Hyung winced his face and nodded “Only this time.” He said. Joo Hyun sighed and agreed.

 

 

 

The next morning Dong Hae arranged to meet Joo Hyun to have breakfast together. They decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather and breakfast in a picnic style at the park. Dong Hae especially brought a picnic basket and two large pillows to lean on, he put everything in front of a large tree, so they were sitting at a shadowed place. He put the groceries on a blanket and was waiting for her to arrive. He stood up and analysed, if everything was ready. Then, he opened the picnic basket and took cutlery out of it. He rubbed his hands and was feeling kind of nervous. He turned around and saw Joo Hyun smilingly walking to him with something to eat in her hands. He gasped over her beauty and smiled, totally captivated of her appearance. Dong Hae turned around and took the bouquet on the blanket and went to her. They smiled at each other, now standing parallel to each other. “Good morning.” Dong Hae smiled. “Good morning.” Joo Hyun smilingly answered. “They’re not as beautiful as you, but I got you this.” Dong Hae said and handed her the flowers. Joo Hyun’s expression brightened, and she thanked him, happily chuckling. She took the flower with her right hand and handed him the cake with her left hand. “I didn’t know which flavour you liked, but I made you this orange flavoured chocolate cake.” She sweetly said. Dong Hae smiled brightly and scratched his neck out of shyness “Really?” He took the cake away and smelled it “Mhmhmhm… smells and looks delicious. Thank you.” He smiled. Happiness could be read from both of Joo Hyun’s eyes and also from Dong Hae’s. They were shining bright like the sun. “Thank you for the flowers.” Jo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter