12/21 • Run Dong Hae

Joo Hyun & Dong Hae [pt.1]: Stand By Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I really enjoyed writing this chapter..you'll definetely like it 😁💜

------

 

“You called me playboy?” He blankly asked. Joo Hyun looked at him “No, but I was referring to it… I’m so sorry…” She said. Dong Hae chuckled “It’s not a big deal.” He immediately said. Joo Hyun nodded and smiled. Suddenly, she heard her name being called and turned her head over to see Doo Joon angrily standing in front of his car and looking to Dong Hae and back to her again. Doo Joon neared his steps to them “So, this is how you spend your break time, isn’t it?” He directly asked Joo Hyun who sighed out of annoyance. “Doo Joon please, don’t cause a scene, we’re working here.” She told without looking at him. Her ignorance made him even angrier that he tried to pull her away by grabbing her elbow. Dong Hae immediately stopped him. Doo Joon shot death glares at him “What the-” Seeing Dong Hae’s action, Joo Hyun quickly stood up and tried taking Doo Joon with her but failed since he was taller and stronger than her. Doo Joon grabbed her wrist to which Joo Hyun squalled a bit “Ya, you’re hurting me, Doo Joon!!” She raised her voice a little. Seeing her in pain made Doo Joon realize his own behaviour to which he widened his eyes and softened his grip. “I’m sorry, baby…” He said and tried to hug her but Joo Hyun took steps backwards “No, go away!” She shouted and massaged her wrist. Doo Joon parted his lips to say something, Joo Hyun raised her head to him and repeated the words again “What are you waiting for? Go away!!!” She shouted. Doo Joon turned around, shot death glares at Dong Hae and walked away. As he walked to his car, Lee Teuk, Hee Chul and Si Won passed him. They were walking towards Joo Hyun and Dong Hae. “You okay?” Dong Hae asked and slowly walked to her. Joo Hyun nodded. Dong Hae took her wrist and put lightly pressure on it “Does it hurt?” He asked to which Joo Hyun shook her head “I think it’s better for me to go home right now.” She told him. “Where are you going without greeting your oppa, huh?” Hee Chul called from behind. Joo Hyun immediately turned around. Her face brightened seeing Hee Chul after so many years. They hugged each other “Our Joo Hyunnie didn’t grow a bit since then, how cuuuutee is she…” Hee Chul laughed while hugging her. Joo Hyun leaned back with a frown and hit him slightly on his chest “Ya! I’m 24 now!” She told him to which Hee Chul chuckled. “She’s got real brains, Hee Chul-ah. She’ll become a biomedical scientist, can you imagine?” Lee Teuk told him to which Hee Chul took few steps behind and bowed at her “I’m very sorry, professor!” Joo Hyun and the others laughed at him. “Oh, Dong Hae-ah!” Hee Chul called. Dong Hae smilingly walked towards him and gave him a hug “How have you been, hyung?” He asked. “Was feeling fine until I saw your melancholy face. Have you written too much poetry again?” Dong Hae first frowned then laughed at him “What are you talking about? Ya, our Hee Chul hyung is indeed back, isn’t he?” He remarked. Hee Chul grinned and threw his arms around him and Joo Hyun so he was standing in the middle “All jokes aside, I sincerely missed you guys. Seeing you here together makes me happy. But how come Hyuk Jae and Seul Gi left exactly where I plan to move? Those punks really…” He nagged. Dong Hae and Joo Hyuk shared one glance over his comment than looked at different points. “That’s how life is.” Si Won remarked. “Anyways, I heard that Tae Hyung is also in the city, isn’t he?” Hee Chul asked Joo Hyun who overwhelmingly looked at him and forced a smile “Yes, yes, he is.” Dong Hae glanced at her from corner of his eyes. “Then, let’s give him a visit.” Hee Chul said and took his arms away from their shoulders. “Yeah, right. Even I didn’t see him until today.” Lee Teuk smiled. Si Won looked unbothered. Everyone looked at Joo Hyun to react “Ah, I’m afraid he is at school right now…” She said in a low tone. As soon as she said those words, there were voices at the background nearing their spot. Joo Hyun recognized them and turned around with a frown. Tae Hyung, Ji Soo, Seok Jin, Ho Seok, Chae Young and Nam Joon walked towards their direction ‘You’ve got to be kidding me…’ Joo Hyun whispered looking at them. “School my foot…” Hee Chul said and passed her. Tae Hyung’s expression froze as soon as he saw the group Joo Hyun was standing with. He even froze more after seeing Hee Chul, so he ran away to everyone’s surprise. Hee Chul didn’t give up, so he ran after to catch him.

 

After Hee Chul ran a few meters to catch Tae Hyung’s speed, he finally managed to catch and greet him. Afterwards everyone, yes EVERYONE, entered Joo Hyun’s place. They were all sitting in the living room “Did you thought you can escape me?” Hee Chul excitedly shouted at Tae Hyung and laughed. Tae Hyung whined “I can’t believe you found me after so many years…” He said to which Hee Chul laughed even more “I tell you, Tae Hyung-ah! No one can walk away from me. I’ll find them sooner or later.” He commented to which Tae Hyung scoffed. Joo Hyun looked at him and mimicked that he should behave. Tae Hyung shrugged to her comment. “Woaah, I know Joo Hyung for so long but never ever visited her neat place. You have really good taste, Joo Hyun-ah!” Ho Seok said with a bright smiley face, he raised his thumb up at her. Joo Hyun smiled and thanked him. Tae Hyung threw a pillow at him “Why would you visit her place, are you stupid?” He said and glared at him. Joo Hyun sensed a scene coming and breathed deeply. Ho Seok widened his eyes at Tae Hyung “Why would you throw a pillow at me? I just said it because you were here lots of times and I wasn’t.” He commented. Hearing his words, Dong Hae tilted his head and looked at Joo Hyun. Tae Hyung blinked at him “It’s still not the same!” He said. Lee Teuk poked Si Won with his elbow “Ya, aren’t they somehow like our group of friends?” He asked him, Si Won nodded “Indeed.” Nam Joon blankly stared around “Joo Hyun.” He called. “Yes?” Joo Hyun answered and turned to him “Would you maybe introduce the round?” He requested. Joo Hyun parted her lips and nodded “Sure.” She said. She was about to say something, but Tae Hyung interrupted her “In short. These people are from our home town. We literally spend our whole childhood together with them. And these people are friends from college.” He shortly said. “Why are you being rude? We have names, you punk!” Hee Chul nagged. Joo Hyun mentally facepalmed herself. “Wait, wait…” Ji Soo suddenly spoke with a confused face. “All of them were your childhood friends? Like aaaall of them?” She asked Tae Hyung with wide eyes to which he simply nodded. Then, Ji Soo slowly glanced at Joo Hyun who forced a smile at her. Trying to be not so obvious whom Ji Soo is referring to. “So, does it mean that Mr. Lee is also from your hometown?” Seok Jin asked which made everyone silently look at him except Hee Chul who tried to prevent himself from laughing over Dong Hae’s title. In his eyes, he was still the little brother Dong Hae from the past. “Of course!” Lee Teuk smilingly said. Tae Hyung got shocked hearing Lee Teuk’s answer and frowned deep. “Wait, wait-“Nam Joon wanted to say something before Joo Hyun interrupted him. She tapped once on her lap and shouted slightly to change the topic “Who wants cake?” Ho Seok brightly answered “Yes! Me!” Joo Hyun nodded at him and stood up “I’ll get some then.” She went into the kitchen. “I’ll help you then.” Ji Soo called and followed. Now, the boys were all alone in the living room. Tae Hyung kept glaring at Dong Hae who looked back at him, not quite understanding his motives behind those glares.

 

Joo Hyun cut the cake in slides, while Ji Soo took plates “Why didn’t you tell me that he was your childhood friend?” Ji Soo whispered to her. “Because he is not.” Joo Hyun answered. Ji Soo frowned “But they just- “Joo Hyun interrupted her “I know what they just said. But it’s more complicated than you think. I’ll probably- “Suddenly Tae Hyung went in “What is complicated?” He asked. Ji Soo and Joo Hyun nervously laughed “Ji Soo-ah, you can take those plates for now…” She told her to which Ji Soo smilingly nodded and passed Tae Hyung. Joo Hyun kept preparing other slices of the cake. Tae Hyung glared at her “Did you know that he’s from Rokpyu?” He leaned his hands on the table as he asked her. Joo Hyun put a piece of cake into his mouth “Eat. It’s delicious!” She ignored his question. Tae Hyung lightly pushed her arm “I asked you something.” He remembered her. “I also found out recently. It was shocking for me, too.” She answered and sighed. Tae Hyung shook his head. Suddenly Lee Teuk peeked in “Ya, Joo Hyun-ah! Thanks for the cake but we’re leaving now. Hee Chul wants to catch some air.” Joo Hyun frowned “So soon?” She walked over to him and accompanied them to the door. Hee Chul ruffled her hair and bid his goodbye. Before Dong Hae also left, Joo Hyun called after him and closed the door slightly, so the others wouldn’t notice “I’m sorry for what happened earlier. We have still time to practice…” She looked up and told him. Dong Hae smiled “Okay, I’ll call you later.” He told her. Joo Hyun smiled back and frowned after “You- you don’t have my telephone number” Dong Hae lifted the corner of his lips “Right, I don’t.” He laughed. Joo Hyun chuckled “Give me your phone.” She said to him. Dong Hae handed her his phone. While she tapped her number in, Dong Hae observed her face again. The mini frown between her eyebrows as she was concentrating made her look cute. He noticed that she does this every time either she is thinking of something or tried to focus. “Here you are.” She smilingly handed the phone back to him. Dong Hae nodded and took steps back “Then, I’ll call you.” He said. Joo Hyun slowly went back in and smiled back at him “Yeah, call me.” She said. They waved their goodbyes and Joo Hyun closed the door behind her. She went back in to the living room with a grinning face.

 

“So, what are we doing now?” Hee Chul asked the others as they were walking outside. “Well, I have to go back to work.” Si Won said and left. “I have to meet So Ra, sorry guys.” Lee Teuk said and walked away also. “What the hell? I thought we’d go out together.” Hee Chul shouted after them, then he looked at Dong Hae and grinned. “Oh! No, I- I have to- I must- “Dong Hae thought of excuses but couldn’t create one. From the moment, he realized it was useless to speak against him, he sighed and dropped his shoulders.

 

After saying goodbye to her friends, Joo Hyun was home alone again and laid on her couch. She thought of Doo Joon and his behaviour. The thought of him made her stress levels go up again. Now, she clearly made her mind up to break up with him. She thought too much about it and it’s probably the healthiest choice, she can take now. Breaking up with him on the phone or via text message would be too respectful. For the sake of their relationship they shared before he went off, he deserved a more proper breaking off scenario. That’s why she messaged him to meet her at the café. Joo Hyun was now sitting at the local’s café and waiting for Doo Joon to arrive. From today on, she would finally break up with him. She hoped and prayed for Doo Joon to accept her decision and to have a satisfying result without any regrets also. After a few minutes Doo Joon arrived and gave her a hug, then he sat opposite of her. The atmosphere was awkward. For both sides. “Let me see your wrist.” Doo Joon started speaking. “Hm?” Joo Hyun blinked at her and understood seconds later what he was referring to. She shook her head slowly “It’s okay.” She said. Doo Joon closed his eyes and opened them again “I’m sorry, Joo Hyun-ah.” He whispered. Joo Hyun looked at his face. He looked hurt and like he was about to cry at any moment. Joo Hyun creased her forehead. “Doo Joon, the reason I called you here is because- “Joo Hyun started and got immediately interrupted “Stop. Please. I know what you want to say.” Doo Joon said, his voice shaking. Joo Hyun frowned and parted her lips “I want to break up.” She said in a low tone. Hearing this clear statement made Doo Joon shred few tears. He put his elbows on the table and tried to hide his face behind his fists. Joo Hyun let him have his moment and patiently waited for a response. After a few minutes Doo Joon lowered his hands, sniffed and nodded. “Okay, but I want to hear the reason. Why Joo Hyun-ah?” He asked her. Joo Hyun looked at the table. Not quite sure to tell him the reason. He would just hurt much more. “Are you able to hear me out?” She asked carefully. Doo Joon nodded once and waited for her answer. Joo Hyun looked out of the window next to her and slightly shook her head “The decision is not made from yesterday, Doo Joon. I want you to know that. From my point of view, our relationship or the love between us started changing from the moment you prepared to leave for military. The last weeks you have immensely changed. Back then, I tried to ignore these things. I tried to build the broken pieces together, but you didn’t let me. I called you, written to you the last two years but you never responded me. Your ignorance made me feel anger and disappointment towards you. Then again, you came back. I ignored everything. Again. But I have the feeling that the person I fell in love with years ago is not standing in front of me. I don’t know if you have changed or if my expectation has changed over the years. One thing I can clearly say is… that I… that I don’t feel anything romantically towards you anymore. I can’t force myself to be in this relationship. It harms me and I harm you too. You wouldn’t want to be in love with someone you don’t love anymore.” She paused and looked at him. Doo Joon listened to her with full focus

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter