21/21 • Turning Tables [EPILOGUE]

Joo Hyun & Dong Hae [pt.1]: Stand By Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Almost a month passed since Dong Hae has broken up with Joo Hyun and since then they haven’t seen each other. Not much has changed till then, only that Ji Soo officially moved into Joo Hyun’s apartment and all the other couples figured out their problems and even Ho Seok, who was about to lose his dance studio managed to keep it. Everyone was happy and satisfied. Well, besides Joo Hyun and Dong Hae.

Ji Soo and Joo Hyun were in the living room, watching an animated movie called ‘Storks’. The girls were laying on the couch with blankets on their bodies. Ji Soo was munching popcorns and laughed from time to time at different scenes, while Joo Hyun blankly stared ahead. When Ji Soo noticed that Joo Hyun wasn’t fully into the movie, she paused it and turned her head to her. “Why did you stop it?” Joo Hyun emotionless asked. “Because you’re not focusing. You still think about him, don’t you?” Ji Soo glared at her. Joo Hyun rolled her eyes and tugged herself deeper in her blanket. “This can’t go forever like this, unnie. Almost a month has passed, and he still didn’t call, nor didn’t he come over, did he?” Joo Hyun didn’t look into her face and felt her eyes tearing again. “Oh my god” She almost whispered and looked up to fight back her tears. She hated the fact that she still had feelings for him and was even crying. He broke up with her, instead of hearing to her pride and hate him, she did exact the opposite. “He disappointed all of us. I’d never thought he’d make a decision like that.” Ji Soo said, looking to the floor. “You have no other choice than to erase him, unnie.” Joo Hyun’s lips were trembling, and she shook her head. “It’s not that easy.” She said in a shaky voice. “I know.” Ji Soo said and walked to her to her back. Joo Hyun burst into tears, her shoulders were shaking due she was crying hard. “I miss him, Ji Soo-yah…” She said in between her tears. Ji Soo had a pitiful and sad expression and couldn’t do much than comfort her sufferings.

 

Dong Hae was in the garden of Si Won’s house and was playing with his niece. Si Won and Lee Teuk observed him from the kitchen. Si Won sighed “This situation is really ed up.” He said. “He’ll find out sooner or later anyway, why don’t we tell him already?” Lee Teuk asked him with furrowed eyebrows. Si Won glared at him “How will you do that? You can’t go and tell him ‘Dong Hae you and another baby were replaced at your birth and originally you are the son of the leader of Rokpyu’s criminal organisation and he wants you to replace his place which is why he controls your life and even killed your supposed to be father and your fiancé. Oh, and besides he was also the one, who killed the father of the woman you love right now.’ Can you do that?” He whispered with an angry expression. Lee Teuk sighed hard “Out of everyone…” He said and looked at Dong Hae who was happily playing with the little girl. “Why did it have to be him?” He mumbled, staring at him. Si Won softened his expression and sighed hard. “My father is doing everything to find that bastard. He controls everything but no one knows where he resides except one of his most trusted man who professionally hides his identity.” He said and played with his mug. Lee Teuk saw Dong Hae walking to their direction and tried to control his expression. “Your niece is a real cutie.” He said smilingly. Si Won pursed his lips. Dong Hae went over to the washing sink and washed his hands. Lee Teuk and Si Won glanced at each other. “I have to go home for a while, I’ll be back right after.” He said and turned around to leave. Si Won stood up “Wait, Dong Hae.” He said and tried to catch him. Dong Hae stopped and turned around with creased eyebrows “Are you feeling fine?” He softly, carefully asked. Dong Hae clenched his jaw and lowered his gaze “Does it matter anyway?” He coldly asked. Si Won closed his eyes and exhaled deeply “I don’t want you to hate me, Dong Hae. You might think, it’s all because of me but all I try to do, is to save your and Joo Hyun’s life. Don’t-“ Dong Hae put his hand on his shoulder and forced a smile “I know, Si Won. If it’s supposed to be like this, then it’ll be. I can’t do anything against it. And besides…” He coldly chuckled and lowered his head “I don’t think she’ll ever accept me again. She must hate me too much right now.” He said with a shaky voice. He sniffed once after feeling his tears coming up and gave him a small nod as a goodbye. Si Won bit his inner cheeks and watched him go.

 

 

Ji Soo let Joo Hyun sleep a little on the couch while she talked with Seok Jin on the phone. They talked about her state and thought of possible activities to cheer her up. Ji Soo knew Joo Hyun loved parks and even more theme parks. So, she thought of the idea to spontaneously visit one near their city. She carefully sat on the couch next to her and quietly called her “Unnie!” After her fifth call, Joo Hyun moved under the blanked and slowly turned to her. She then sat upright and rubbed her eyes “How long did I sleep?” She mumbled. “Not too long, 20 minutes.” She said. Joo Hyun yawned and stretched. “Unnie!” Ji Soo called with an excited expression “How about we go to the theme park?” She asked. Joo Hyun furrowed at her and shook her head. “Oh, come on!” Ji Soo protested. “Let’s do something. Anything!” She said. Joo Hyun sighed “I don’t want to, Ji Soo-yah.” She said and stood up to go to the bathroom. Ji Soo stared at the floor and thought of other things. “Then, how about a simple café meeting with the others?” She asked with puppy eyes. Joo Hyun looked at her blankly, then agreed anyway which made Ji Soo smile brightly. “But only for your sake…” Joo Hyun mumbled.

 

On his way home, Dong Hae noticed a female figure standing in front of his apartment. He frowned and slowly walked closer to her. “Excuse me?” He called which made the girl turn around. Dong Hae almost gasped of her appearance. She reminded him too much of Joo Hyun, the resemblance was crazy. Or was it just his observation? “Dong Hae?” The girl asked with raised eyebrows. Dong Hae slowly nodded. The girl smiled brightly and stretched her hand “Hi, I’m Shuhua.” She said. Dong Hae looked at her hand and then back to her, raising one eyebrow. Shuhua awkwardly smiled and pulled her arm back. “I’m from Rokpyu. Your mum sent me here.” She said which made Dong Hae’s eyes widen, he almost his breath. “My- my- my mum?” He asked. Shuhua nodded “She wants me to get to know you.” She shyly said. Dong Hae felt too overwhelmed with the situation and frowned “Why?” He carefully asked. “Is she alright?” Dong Hae asked her with worried eyes. Shuhua smiled brightly “Don’t worry, oppa.” She said and held his hands “She’s very fine. I lost my parents a few years ago and your mum took good care of me. I don’t want to swagger but she likes me very much. She always told me that she wished someone like me for his son, so I decided to get to know you since I couldn’t hear it any longer from her.” She chuckled and looked into his eyes. Dong Hae forced a smile and slowly freed his hands from her grip. “Shuhua, huh?” He asked to which she nodded. “Interesting name.” He said with a smile.” Have you already eaten, Shuhua?” He asked. Shuhua pouted and shook her head “I was too tired.” Dong Hae nodded “Then, let’s go to the café nearby. If you say you’re a guest of my mother, then I have to take care of you, don’t I?” He sighed and smiled. Shuhua pursed her lips “Yes, oppa.” Dong Hae led the way. He decided to bring her to the café at the sea.

 

Shuhua was eating with lots of happiness while Dong Hae stared out of the huge window to look at the sea. Shuhua noticed his absence and asked if everything was fine. Dong Hae turned his head to her side and nodded, rubbing his temple. Shuhua smirked and made him a toast with strawberry jam. “Here, oppa. Eat it. It’s your favourite.” She sat and bit her own toast. Dong Hae frowned and raised his gaze to her “How do you know it’s my favourite?” She asked. Shuhua chuckled “I know lots of things about you. How can I not when your mum told me thousands of details every day about you?” Dong Hae’s corner of his lips raised up “And you memorized it?” He asked. Shuhua smiled “Of course. I waited for the day, I meet you in person and cook you your favourite dishes.” She said. Dong Hae observed her face and smiled. He couldn’t deny the fact that she was cute and beautiful, but no beauty of this world could replace Joo Hyun in his eyes. He shook his head and sighed “Shuhua. You seem very cute and nice, but I have to tell you something.” He said and leaned his elbows on the table. “I don’t see my mum in years and that Dong Hae from the past might not exist today. You seem to have high expectations of me, but I must disappoint you because I already have a girlfriend and I love her more than anything in this world.” He said. Shuhua lowered her gaze and smirked “A girlfriend, huh? Then, where is she now?” She asked which made Dong Hae frown “Excuse me?” Shuhua raised her gaze “I can’t see her around, can you? And besides, I believe, you wouldn’t invite me to have breakfast, if you’d love her more than anything. I mean, wouldn’t she get uncomfortable to know her boyfriend is having breakfast with a girl who was chosen by his mum for him?” She asked with a raised eyebrow. Dong Hae lowered his gaze “We’re- we’re not in good terms nowadays but that doesn’t change the fact that I still love her. I’m only trying to be polite here, don’t misinterpret things.” He said with a serious expression and leaned back.

 

 

Seok Jin and Tae Hyung drove to the girls to pick them up. They decided to go to the café at the sea, since the weather was very nice. They got out of the car and were walking to the direction of the sea. Shuhua noticed out of the window that a group of people walked to the sea and recognize Joo Hyun out of them. She smirked and turned to Dong Hae “Can we walk to the sea? I want to take a picture as a memory.” She said which made Dong Hae nod “But after that I have to go to Lee Teuk’s.” He said as he walked next to her. “Of course” Shuhua said.

Seok Jin and Tae Hyung started a little water splash battle with her feet which made the girls totally annoyed. “You’re like kids, I swear!” Ji Soo nagged. “We want to eat later, what are you doing?” She continued nagging. She shook her head and looked to Joo Hy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter