03/21 • Something New

Joo Hyun & Dong Hae [pt.1]: Stand By Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

+ "Sweetheart, why didn't you pick up earlier?"
- "I was in class mum."
+ "Oh, really? How is your college life going?"
- Joo Hyun was wrinkling her forehead "Good, it's going pretty well. I have two exams coming up the next days."
+ "Oh, god. Good luck my dear!"
- Joo Hyun didn't answer. Silence.
+ "Did--"
- "No, he didn't." Joo Hyun interrupted.
+ "Okay, but have you?"
- "Mum, please. I don't want to talk about it right now. I knew you would bring this topic up. As I told you, I have to study for my exams."
+ "You shouldn't ignore him, Bae Joo Hyun. The more you don't talk things out the more you'll be stressed."
Joo Hyun was really annoyed from the conversation. She sighed and sat on the corner of her bed. "What should I do? I don't even know why he is not talking to me anymore. I tried to break the ice between us but he was ignoring me all the time."
- "Don't think about it too much. Just make the first move."
+ Joo Hyun was rolling her eyes. "Yea, yea. Do you want to say anything else? Otherwise I'm hanging up, because I seriously have to study."
- "Alright, dear. Let's hear again someday! Good luck on your exams."
Joo Hyun hung up. 'Make the first move, my .' She was saying under her breath. She checked her phone, if he gave her a shout. There was not a single call or text message from him. Joo Hyun dropped her back against her bed and tried to relax for a moment. After a few minutes, her phone rang. She got a text message. She flinched by the sound and immediately grabbed her phone. She was innerly hoping that it would be a message from him but it was from Ji Soo telling her that their application got accepted and that they could start their first lesson tomorrow. She sighed and throw her phone away. 'It's not like I have tons of other things to do..' She complained. 

After her dad died five years ago, her mother changed slightly. She was ignoring all bad situations and acted as if everything was fine. When she knew that her daughter was dating someone, she already made wedding plans. Actually, it was like they would get married regarding how their relationship was but somehow two years ago everything changed - he changed - and Joo Hyun didn't know why. Before he enlisted for military service, they had a quarell, afterwards they didn't talk to eachother. Since then, they never talked to each other even once. Joo Hyun doesn't even know, if they are still in a relationship or if they unknowingly broke up. Her mother was still waiting for a wedding announcement, which is so annoying to her. Her mother thinks that Joo Hyun wouldn't get along in life without him, she believes that a woman should rely on a man to be happy, which Joo Hyun can absolutely not agree with. Her mother didn't know how he was treating her before he got enlisted. Like she was a ghost or something. Despite the fact, he was behaving strangely the last she saw him, that they couldn't properly bid goodbyes and didn't hear anything from him within those two years, she believed they still would be together. That's why she is waiting for a message from him. She wants clarity. 

Joo Hyun was absolutely not in a mood to study. So she got up and walked around. Seul Gi's absent made her feel lonely, she wanted to talk with somebody right now but didn't want to disturb her time with her boyfriend. She sighed, grabbed her jacket and went out. Tae Hyung wasn't living too far away, so she decided to visit him. After walking for 15 minutes, she reached his apartment and rang the bell. She rang thrice and waited for someone to open. She frowned by a familiar voice which was not belonging to a person living in that apartment. Ho Seok was the one opening the door and greeting her welcome. She walked into the apartment and was still confused because of the voice. After taking off her jacket and hanging it up, she slowly walked into the living room. There she saw Seok Jin and Tae Hyung talking with a boy she knew very well. It was Yong Jun Hyung. "Joo Hyun-ah!" Tae Hyung was the first recognizing her. Jun Hyung turned his head towards her and smiled with the corner of his lips. Joo Hyun was still frowning and sat on a free spot on the couch. "I'll be right back." Seok Jin said and left. Tae Hyung was startled and searched for words. Jun Hyung turned to Tae Hyung "I better get going before it's getting late." They both got up and were ready to leave. Before leaving, Jun Hyung looked at Joo Hyun's face and was nodding at her once for saying good bye. Joo Hyun's respond was induistinguishable. After a few seconds, Tae Hyung came back to the living room and closed the door. He sat next to Joo Hyun. "What up, baechu? I thought you wanted to study till night." 

Joo Hyun's face was still frowning and slightly emotionless. She just starred at him. Tae Hyung narrowed his eyes "What's with that face?" He smiled. "Did you saw a ghost?" Joo Hyun closed her eyes and shook her head. "You know, Tae.." She started and opened her eyes, forcing a smile "I got a call from my mum. She asked me about Doo Joon." Tae Hyung gulped and nodded slowly. "I got so annoyed, that I decided to visit you and distract myself with your stupidness." She chuckled coldly. "Seems like it was a bad decision." She bit her lips and looked elsewhere. Tae Hyung just listened to her and looked at her face. "Were you seeing them secretly?" She returned to him. "Were you in touch with them and never told me? Do you maybe talk to Doo Joon too ?" Her frown came back. Tae Hyung was startled "What are you talking about?" Then he smiled "Before you freak out, just listen to me, okay?" Joo Hyun sighed "Talk."

"Ouf, so demanding!" He joked. Joo Hyun glared at him. "I'm sorry. The reason he was here was to tell us about--" He stopped. "About what?" Joo Hyun impatiently asked. "About.." Tae Hyung continued. "ABOUT WHAT TAE?" Tae Hyung sighed. "About Doo Joon. He's coming back next week." Joo Hyun's heart dropped. "He.. he.. he's coming back?" Tae Hyung sighed. Joo Hyun had mixed feelings. Should she be happy that her boyfriend will be back after so long? Is he even still her boyfriend? Why didn't she know about this? "Wait." She started. "Why.. why wasn't Jun Hyung telling you all this and not me?" She asked with a questioning face. "He was unsure about the status between you two that he decided to tell me." Joo Hyun nodded. "And he is a bit scared of you." He chuckled. Joo Hyun rolled her eyes. "I wonder why." She sarcastically said. "How are you feeling about this?" Tae Hyung asked in a soft tone. Joo Hyung shrugged and forced a smile "I really don't know! I'm might be slightly scared." Tae Hyung frowned "You shouldn't be scared! Regardless of the occasions, I will always be by your side."

The next day

Joo Hyun, Tae Hyung, Ji Soo and Seok Jin were standing in front of the musical room. "I wonder how many students will show up. Only us four would be awkward." Seok Jin said. Ji Soo watched at the time on her phone "We still have 20 minutes. I'm sure there will be others, too." Tae Hyung was leaning against a pillar. "I can't believe I'm going ahead with you guys." He complained. "I already had musical courses last year." Now, he slightly whined. "Ya! Stop complaining you can still try new things out." Seok Jin scolded him. Ji Soo smiled at his comment and rolled her eyes to Tae Hyung. "Tae Hyung your complaining really lowers my mood. It's only 40 minutes! So, don't say anything negative for the next 60 minutes, alright? Otherwise, I'm going to strangle you." Joo Hyun warned. Tae Hyung looked at her smirking "Looks like you don't enjoy this situation neither." Ji Soo disappointently looked at Joo Hyun. "Ya! What rubbish are you talking about? I'm really motivated for this course. I honestly want to learn about guitars and music in general." She tried to defend herself. Tae Hyung laughed "Sure, you are." Seok Jin noticed a student "There comes our classmate." Everyone turned, looked and smiled at him. The student had all black clothes and very long hair which he tied up. He looked like a rock singer. "See, those kind of people are here." Tae Hyung whispered at Joo Hyun. Seok Jin walked to Tae Hyung and hit his head "Will you stop now? What a baby!" He said. This made the girls laugh. "Why do you hit me?" Tae Hyung whined. 

As time passed by eight other students came. They were all waiting for Dong Hae to arrive. "I don't think those girls really want to learn how to play the guitar. I shouldn't judge quickly but my gut says they're not." Tae Hyung referred to a group of 3 girls sitting on a bank. "You talking nonsense again. Why should they be here then? What person visits courses because of another purpose than wanting to learn something? Say something that is making sense." Seok Jin answered. Ji Soo and Joo Hyun were eyeing each other and pretented not to heard Seok Jin's comment. Dong Hae finally arrived, his hands full with utensils for the class. The group of girls immediately stood up and one of them ran to Dong Hae "Let me help you." She said cutely. Dong Hae denied her offer and continued walking to open the door. "See, they're here for the teacher. Those girls, really.." Tae Hyung said. After Dong Hae opened the door, everyone sat down and waited for his instruction. Joo Hyun saw how the girls were chuckling as they were observing Dong Hae and just rolled her eyes. 

Dong Hae turned to the calls and smiled. "Welcome and thank you for joining my course. I'm your teacher for this occasion. You can call me Mr. Lee. Since it's the first lesson, how about everyone is introducing themselves ?" The class unhappilly declined his offer, which made Dong Hae laugh. "I get it. But I still have to check your attendance, though. I would suggest that you just sign the attendance list and create a name tag for me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter