19/21 • Love is not an illusion

Joo Hyun & Dong Hae [pt.1]: Stand By Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

UNEDITED

Thank Ji Soo later aaaand this is the longest chapter I wrote x3

And I'm saying thank you to all of you guys commenting on each chapter. I know who you are, you keep this story going 🤗

only two chapters left for the final chapter :o

----

Dong Hae walked with a heavy heart to the beach since the rain wasn’t pouring hard as before. He was shouting to the sea to relieve stress. He didn’t want to force Joo Hyun or anything, but he couldn’t deny that he wanted clarity. He wanted to know how she really feels or what she wants, so in order he can act regarding her decision. Otherwise, he feels like he is wasting their precious time where instead they could have a good time together.

After taking a walk for few minutes and clearing his mind, he went back to the hotel. Yun Ho waited for him in the lobby and went to Dong Hae as soon as he saw him. “Ya, what was that earlier?” He said in a low tone, standing right in front of him. Dong Hae let out a tired breath “Yun Ho, it not fun for me to act like this, but you somehow have to know what kind of a person Sung Li is.” He said truthfully. Yun Ho furrowed his eyebrows. Dong Hae sighed “She is acting innocent, Yun Ho-yah. Think about it, why would I like earlier, if I didn’t have a reason. She won’t be honest to you? Then you have to trust me and dig into the game.” He asked, tapping his shoulder. Yun Ho lowered his gaze and thought about his words. Yun Ho realized himself that Sung Li was strange sometimes and it’s not the first time he’s hearing weird things about her. He somehow knew that there was something behind but didn’t want to admit it since he truly loved her.

After talking to Yun Ho, Dong Hae walked up to his room. Passing Joo Hyun’s door, he once glared at it and sighed. He gave her time until the night, that means, until then he won’t disturb her. Unless, she wants to disturb him for a good reason.

Joo Hyun was sadly sitting on her bed with bended knees to her chest. “What will I do now?” She asked Ji Soo who was leaning on her right hand on the bed opposite of her. “Unnie, it seems like he really loves you and I can understand him that he wants to know your feelings, too. I mean, every person in love would wish that.” She said with a smile. Joo Hyun kept staring at her front. “Do you love him?” Ji Soo carefully asked. Joo Hyun moved her gaze to her direction “What do you think?” She said quietly. “Would I sit here with a gloomy face, if I didn’t love him?” She asked, her eyes tearing a little. “Then, why don’t you just go to him and say yes?” Ji Soo asked, crossing her legs. “You are making a great couple. You really suit each other. I don’t understand it, what is the problem if the feelings are mutual. Just go and say yes.” She said with a questioning expression. Joo Hyun sighed hard “What then Ji Soo, huh? I will say yes, and we’ll probably start dating. I- I am not sure, if I can be in a serious relationship with someone from Rokpyu. I already mentioned how scary my hometown and its people are.” She said. Ji Soo glared at her. “I can comprehend all of your Rokpyu logic, but in life you learn and see by trying. You can’t just sit here and think ‘Hmm…I have a feeling that something bad will happen, so I can’t be together with him.’ Can you guarantee that thought? What if it’s not the case? What if you’re missing the chance of your life to be with the love of your life? What if everything will be fine and you’ll be together happily ever after?” Joo Hyun closely listened to her and slightly smirked “You can’t guarantee it, too.” She said in a low tone. Ji Soo rolled her eyes “Yeah, true but no one can. Do you really think the great couples had sort of a guarantee contract beforehand? They just went for it. They let themselves go.” She said with a convinced expression. Joo Hyun smiled under her breath “He said it, too.” She said. Ji Soo furrowed “What did he say?” Joo Hyun tilted her head “That I should let myself go and enjoy the journey.” Ji Soo snapped which made Joo Hyun slightly flinch “And he is right!” She said with a bright expression. “Look.” Ji Soo continued “I have the feeling that Dong Hae oppa is a really nice guy. Don’t you think so, too?” She looked at Joo Hyun who nodded without looking at her. “I don’t know his story, but I partly know yours and I truly admire it. I admire you. You have experienced so many things in life, and you endured all of them. Look at you, you are sitting right in front of me on a college trip. You are studying biomedicine and you’re gorgeously beautiful, despite of your past. You are a true fighter unnie. Didn’t you show everyone the opposite? The Bae Joo Hyun, I know so far shouldn’t think of consequences but just live the moment. Isn’t that so? And aren’t you in love with him?” She asked. Joo Hyun chuckled and dropped some tears “Ya! What is this biasing all of a sudden?” She asked. Ji Soo chuckled “I’m just stating the truth.” She said. Joo Hyun whipped her tears away “You’re right, Ji Soo.” She sniffed once. “I was always some kind of a rebel. If everyone would go left, I’d go right.” She chuckled. “And to your last question…. This is exactly what is scaring me the most, Ji Soo. I never felt this way before towards any other person in my life. I actually never believed in love relationships. Everyone I knew around me who were in love always ended bad. I thought they’re just harming their selves and don’t have self-respect at all. That’s why I settled my mind that I’ll live my live for me and my own rules. It was just me and myself whenever I planned anything. But now, I think…I think of me…but I also think of him…” She said and creased her forehead. She shook her head slightly “Even with Doo Joon.” She coldly chuckled “I was dating him and thought we make a great couple because we study the same branch and we suit each other. Those were in fact the thoughts of my mother. She said that I shouldn’t lose him because he’d represent me and my family well, so I never further thought about it but the time he started changing and leaving me, I kind of lost my interest in him because he didn’t fit into the ‘position of being my boyfriend’.” She looked at her with teary eyes. “I always lived with a plan and always had a plan for everything. Now, everything is just happening so fast which truly overwhelms me and my soul.” She dropped tears. “I’m scared that I’ll lose myself too much into him. And I’m also scared that I’ll harm him by this. Believe me Ji Soo, if it’s not me then anything Rokpyu-related will come between us. That’s why I think, it’ll be better to leave things like they are for now. I can love him even if we’re not together.” She said and forced a smile. Ji Soo looked at her with a creased forehead and a sad expression.

Dong Hae was sitting at the edge of his bed and covered his head with his hands. Seok Jin came out of the bathroom “Everything fine?” He asked, which made Dong Hae look at him. He nodded lightly. “Hyung, when did you write this?” He asked with an amazed, smiling expression. He was holding a sheet of paper in his hand. Dong Hae looked at the paper and sighed “A few hours ago, when we came back because of the rain.” He said, scratching his jaw. “One More Chance…” Seok Jin mumbled and read the lyrics. “Will the clear image of you be forgotten? Will that time ever come? Will the happy memories get all erased? Is that love even love?” Dong Hae just stared at his front. “Woah, so sentimental.” Seok Jin commented and continued “Endless sighs become this song. And without knowing it, I’m coloured by you again. Don’t live like the rain. Again today, I’m drenched. And in the wet traces, I’m looking for you. Will I be able to erase? If only could do this once more. Just one more chance, so I could see you.” Seok Jin read the rest internal with a concentrated face. Dong Hae exhaled deep and got up. He took his phone and saw another six missed calls from Si Won. He frowned. “Seok Jin-ah, do you know why we don’t have any connection here?” He asked him. Seok Jin raised his eyebrows and looked up “Huh? Oh, yeah, downstairs in the lobby, you’ll have connection.” He said. Dong Hae walked out with his phone, still frowning deeply. Why was Si Won trying to reach him so badly? He was getting nervous about the thought that something bad might happened.

He walked to the lobby and held his phone up to search for a connection. The man at the reception observed him and narrowed his eyes “Excuse me, sir.” He said. Dong Hae turned to him. “Are you Mr. Lee Dong Hae?” He asked politely. Dong Hae nodded and blinked. “Mr. Choi Si Won has left this note for you.” He said smiling and handed him a small note. Dong Hae went to him and took the note. “Thanks.” He mumbled. On the note, there was a place written. “Shall I probably go here?” He asked the man with furrowed eyebrows. “That’s what he wished.” The man answered. Dong Hae nodded and made his way to the place which was written on the note.

Ji Soo was Joo Hyun’s arm while she leaned on her. She exhaled deeply “Unnie!” She said and leaned back to face her. “You know what I believe?” Joo Hyun blinked. “That you should still go for it.” Joo Hyun shook her head “Ji Soo, you- “Ji Soo interrupted her “No, listen to me. A person can never forget his past, that’s totally normal. I can understand that you’re trying to avoid past traces, but you will still carry them, and you will carry them regardless, if they are small or big. I know that these can’t be erased easily. Sometimes we feel like, we got over it, that we forgot our past. But…” She chuckled “There is always a small piece of the past, which will remind us of old times. A person shouldn’t regret their past and they shouldn’t fear their future. They should just accept and own both. You know which past I am talking here about?” She asked with a small smile. Joo Hyun blinked at her. “The past which will be Dong Hae in the future, if you reject him.” She said in a low tone which made Joo Hyun widen her eyes. “I already told you before and I’m telling you again. I kind of believe that your relationship is fate-related. You grew up in the same environment but you both were not aware of it. You experienced different stages in life and yet you met him somehow. You can’t escape fate. If he’s meant for you, he’ll appear in front of you in what situation ever in your life. The question here is, are you honestly ready to forget and reject him?” Joo Hyun lowered her head and exhaled deeply “Ji Soo-yah, why are you making me confused right now? A few minutes ago, I was ready to say no to him but now…” She said which made Ji Soo chuckle. “All right, you little cry-baby.” She said and kneeled in front of her. She looked her in the eyes “Now. Leave everything behind. All your logical reasons, your philosophy, your strategies, your calculations, whatever. Don’t overthink, okay? Just blend everything out and focus yourself on this question; ‘What do I really want?’” She smiled and curiously waited for her response. “I…I…I do really want to see him right now and be embraced in his arms.” Joo Hyun slowly said, looking down. Ji Soo closed her eyes out of relief, let out a breath and smiled. “You see. Was it so difficult to admit this only reality that matters? You are so freakin’ in love with him, unnie. Don’t miss your chance, don’t let him go.” Ji Soo almost whispered. Joo Hyun was still staring in front of her. “Oh god!” Ji Soo groaned “How can you overthink so much in that kind of a situation? Isn’t he waiting for your response till tonight?” Joo Hyun slowly nodded “Ji Soo everything you say is sounding so pinky and beautiful but isn’t love an illusion of the brain in reality?” She said unsurely which made Ji Soo roll her eyes and chuckle “Hey, little scientist. Push those thoughts aside for two minutes. Damn, you’re fiercely stubborn, aren’t you? I wonder how Dong Hae oppa can still fight for you despite your stubbornness. Are you still looking for excuses??? The saying is a complete lie. Love is not an illusion of the brain but a burning of the heart. The moment it burns your heart, you can’t do anything against the flame and the only medicine if your lover.” Joo Hyun parted her lips. Ji Soo groaned hard and stood up “Come on! Enough whining, enough thinking. Now we’re doing!” She said and clapped her hands. Joo Hyun was startled and looked around “I’ll- I’ll go then…” She said, got up and walked to the door. Ji Soo creased her forehead “Unnie! You can’t appear like this in front of him.” Joo Hyun turned around, blinked and looked at herself in the mirror. “You’re right.” She said. Ji Soo smiled and pulled her to the bathroom.

Dong Hae went to the place written on the note. It was a place a little far away from the beach. There were tables, stools and a bench to sit on. He wondered why Si Won wanted him to be there. He neared the edge of the place and looked at the sea which could be seen from there. After a few seconds, he could hear footsteps behind him. He turned around and frowned at the person entering the place. It was Hyuk Jae. He walked to him with a worried and shameful expression. Dong Hae laughed out of confusion “No, what- what is this right now?” He mumbled. “Dong Hae, listen…” Hyuk Jae started, now standing right in front of him. Dong Hae looked at his face and noticed some eyebags, he looked very tired. “What are you doing here?” He asked in a serious tone. “Si Won tried to reach you but failed several times and I had no other choice than meet and tell you this in person, so Si Won kind of helped me.” He said. Dong Hae rolled his tongue “Are you kidding me right now? I am on a trip.” He said. “After you listen to what I say, this trip won’t be important anymore.” He said. Dong Hae curiously looked at him but he also had a furious expression. “I found out so many disastrous things, it’s unbelievable. Things get out of hand Dong Hae. Really bad things will happen. You, you either have to come back, or if you won’t, I don’t know leave the country or something. It’s too dangerous for you to do nothing at all.” He seriously said. Dong Hae coldly laughed “I’m not joking. Joo Hyun is also involve-“ Dong Hae interrupted him “Okay, you left for your dad although you knew he ruined your whole life and the lives of others and regardless of it went back to the slum, to him, leaving me here behind in a depressive situation. And now, when I’m starting to rule a normal life, come back again and tell me to leave? What kind of an absurd comedy is this? I d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter