01/21 • The Past

Joo Hyun & Dong Hae [pt.1]: Stand By Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She loved the feeling how her body became one with her environment. She is literally becoming a missing part with the air, which forms a complete new, wholesome object. As if she was a missing chemical molecule. She feels her blood pouring through her veins, her clothes sticking to her sweaty body, her adrenaline level increases, her vision gets blurry. She is the rhythm, the rhythm is her. One step to another. Jump! Turn around and slide to the side. The music is coming to an end and so are her movements. With her last move,pating hard, she watches herself in the large mirror in the dancing hall. Her friends are also at her state. Some are getting up of the ground while others are still lying on the floor and few are clapping proudly. She turns her head to her right side and gives her best friend a thumbs up. Her best friend is also looking at her, smiles and throws herself on the floor. Now, she prepares to get up slowly to reach the bank on the posterior side of the dance hall, where her water bottle is and also her friends' bags. 

Bae Joo Hyun was a dancer since she opened her eyes as a baby. She was always dancing. As a child. As a primary student. As a teenager. And even now as a college student. She was dancing, is dancing and will always be dancing. It's her own kind of drug to deal with world's stupidness. But she wasn't always dancing in a dance studio, though - or rather professionally. Her other (male) best friend, Kim Tae Hyung gave her the idea to join one. She was very indecisive those times because of her parents. But nowadays, she decided to focus more on her own needs. To join a dacing class satisfied her needs! She made two friends here, Momo and Ho Seok. 

She hears Tae Hyung bursting into laughter behind her back. He was still lying on the floor and telling a story she couldn't clearly understand. Joo Hyun was drinking from her water bottle and couldn't stop herself giggling about his silliness. His laughter is really catching to her. He laughs about everything and anything. Behind her back, she also realizes Seul Gi's voice too, who is coming closer to her site. Seul Gi takes her bag and pulls her mobile phone. Joo Hyun notices how her smile is slowly fading from her beautiful face. She sits down and asks:"He still didn't call, did he?". Seul Gi shakes her head and pouts a little. "Don't worry, he will!" Joo Hyun cheers her up while smiling brightly. "I know!" Seul Gi smirks. "He has no other choice. He will miss me sooner or later." Then she looks at Joo Hyun and they smile at each other. "Ya, Joo-Hyun-ah, Seul Gi-ah! Come over here, we're discussing what to eat later." Ho Seok shouts to them both. "I'd say Pizza." Momo suggests. "Noo.. we had pizza two days ago and also last week. I'm getting fed up with pizza." Tae Hyung looks at Joo Hyun with a slightly shocked expression. "Ya! How can someone get fed up with pizza? I can have pizza three squares a day. I really can, you know?" He says enthusiastically to Momo. "No doubt!" Momo answers and stands up to join the girls. While the boys are continuing to discuss their dinner, Momo and Joo Hyun talk about todays class and how refreshing it was. Meanwhile, Seul Gi's phone rings. She leaves the dance hall, closes its door and walks into the hallway as she answers her phone.

- "It's about time, Hyuk Jae-ya!"
+ "Why, is something wrong?"
- "No.. no.. everything's fine. It's just--" She scratches her neck. "I was really worried and I missed you."

She can sense him smirking on the other line.

- "Stop smirking, will you."

Hyuk Jae chuckles.

+ "You know me too well."
- "True. I also knew you would come back. You are, right?"
+ "Of course, I am. You're mine, remember? How can I leave you?"
- Seul Gi smiles and watches outside of the window. "You better not. You owe me some explanation."
+ "It's nothing serious this time, really."
- "Why did you leave when it was nothing serious? And how can you talk about it so relaxed, Lee Hyuk Jae? You-- you--" She looks around if someone could hear her and lowers her voice. "You could-- you could get killed." Her voice breaks at the last word. "You should.." She immediately puts her phone aside after hearing voices in the hallway. When she sees that the others are getting out of the studio, she puts her phone back on her ear again. "Listen, we'll talk later, okay ? I love you."

She turns towards to the group. "So, what is your final decision?" 

"It's pizza, pizza~!" Ho Seok and Tae Hyung answer her happily. Seul Gi looks at Joo Hyun, who is pounting and looks like she would burst into tears any moment. Seul Gi conforts her with a side hug. "Come on girls. We trained really hard and surely deserve a high calorie meal." Momo tells them. Joo Hyun whines while the others laugh.

.

Joo Hyun feels really blessed having such good friends. She knows Seul Gi since elementary school. Besides they raised up in the same area. They went through ups and downs and describe their relationship as sisters. Joo Hyun and Seul Gi are currently living together in a small apartmentz. Joo Hyun is going to college while Seul Gi works as a nurse in a doctor's office.

While Seul Gi is her number one best friend, Tae Hyung comes second. Tae Hyung was also born and raised in the same city as Joo Hyun and Seul Gi, but he was in another area. An area, where normally rich people lived. Nevertheless, he went to the same school as them. Seul Gi was in another class, while Tae Hyung and Joo Hyun attended the same class in high school. Even today, they are attending the same college but unluckily not the same class - Joo Hyun studies biomedicine, Tae Hyung english literature - they always make time meeting at the campus or in the cafeteria. In their old days, Tae Hyung would always protect and stuck around her - not much different from now. Other students would always make up rumours about them dating regarding their closeness. But they always ignored such news. They never felt romantically towards each other. In theri case, it was always a dongsaeng relationship.

.

Joo Hyun is studying in her room for the upcoming exams. She sighs while texting to one of her good friends in her class - Kim Ji Soo. Her room looks really messy. Clothes and books are lying in every corner. She rubs her temple and walks into the kitchen to have a glass of water. While walking inside, she notices Seul Gi in their small living room, sitting on the couch and watching out of the window. After pouring some water in her glass, she walks towards her best friend. 

"Not sleepy?" She asks her. Seul Gi winces a little. She was too distracted in her thoughts, that she didn't notice Joo Hyun coming into the living room. "You scared me." She positions her body more comfortably. "No, I really am not sleepy at all." Joo Hyun gulps her water. "Care to tell, what keeps you awake at around 1 AM?" Seul Gi lowers her gaze; looks at Joo Hyun and back to the floor. "It's Hyuk Jae. He is planning to kill me. I just talked to him on the phone. He seems to be okay but I can't just understand, how he can't see the wrong thing in this whole situation. Why is he putting himself in danger?" She looks at her. "Why is he STILL putting himself in danger is the correct question." Joo Hyun remarks. Seul Gi shakes her head. "Still.. after everything. After promising countlessly that night." Joo Hyun cringes her face. "You mean.. THAT night, where--" Seul Gi interrupts her. "God stop! Please.. yeah.. THAT night." Joo Hyun laughs awkwardly. "It's somehow weird but also sweet at the same time. You two did it after being in a relationship for 5 years." Seul Gi pulls up her blanket. "Weird because you're a and won't understand. And so? What about it? Hyuk Jae waited for me. And anyways, if he won't strive to live a better life, we probably won't ever be able to do it again." Joo Hyun looks disgusted and closes with her hand. "Yuck, Seul Gi! Are you really that desperate? Oh God!" She scoffs as she gets up and leaves the room. "Ya, you know what I mean, Hyun!" Seul Gi shouts after her. "Listen to me.. come back and hear me out, will you? Hyun!!" Joo Hyun goes back to her room without answering and shuts the door. 

.

The next day, the girls wake up to a loud bell sound on their door. Seul Gi slept in the living room. She frowns as she tries to realize what day it is and get her senses back. Joo Hyun already went sleepily to the door and peaks through the hole. Behind the door, there is a man with black jeans, a hoodie and a cap. Joo Hyun turns back to Seul Gi "Ya, get up. It's your bad boy!" and goes to the bathroom. Seul Gi immediately opens her eyes and runs after Joo Hyun to catch the bathroom "Stooop! I have to wash my face.." But Joo Hyun was way faster than her. After losing the bathroom against her bestfriend, she goes into the kitchen and quickly washes her face from the faucet. After checking herself twice in the mirror she rushes to door and opens it. Hyuk Jae smiles seeing his girlfriend in pijamas, bare face and messy morning hair. "What's wrong? Did you guys had a fight in there? You look like you just left the army." Seul Gi glares at him. "You serious?" She frowns. Hyuk Jae smiles brighter. "I'm sorry, you just look so adorable. May I come in?" Seul Gi moves to the side to let him inside their apartment and closes the door. The two stare deeply into each others eyes. Hyuk Jae's smile fades, he takes one step closer "I missed you so much.." He whispers. Seul Gi touches his face with both her hands and pulls him down to give him a big kiss on his lips. Hyuk Jae immediately responds, by pulling her closer as grabing her waist. Their kiss get deeper, they break their kiss when Joo Hyun comes out of the bathroom. "Eww.. get a room!" She cringes. "Good Morning, witchy!" Hyuk Jae greets her smiling, still clinging to Seul Gi. Seul Gi faces him and hits slightly his shoulder. "Don't be mean!" Hyuk Jae mouths her "What ? What ? What ?" as he tries to close the little gap between them. Seul Gi frees herself from his arms while giggling. She walks quickly into the bathroom. "I'll be back in a minute." She shouts back. Hyuk Jae, having his hands inside his pockets, walks into the kitchen, where Joo Hyun prepares breakfast for herself and Seul Gi. As she notices him, she asks if he wants to stay eating with them, without looking at his face. Hyuk Jae declines her offer, telling her he'll leave after seeing and talking to Seul Gi. Joo Hyun nods. "How are you?" She asks him, still not facing him. One can hear the coldness in her tone, uncertain if she really cared or not. Hyuk Jae looks surprised but smiled frostily after. "Me? How should I be?" He sits down on a free chair. "Don't know, you tell me." Joo Hyun comments while she puts some marmalade on her toast. "You sure you don't want to drink?" She asks him again, after pouring coffee to herself. "I just had breakfast at home." Hyuk Jae lies. Anyone could feel the strange atmosphere in the room. The cold distance between those two people.. "Did Seul Gi tell you something?" Hyuk Jae carefully asks, playing with his cap on the table. Joo Hyun takes a bite from her toast, starring at her coffee mug she answers "She doesn't have to tell me. I know you very well. What you are capable of vica versa. If you honestly want to know, she didn't." Finally, she looks at him. She has a mixed expression of disgust, anger and disappointment. Hyuk Jae faces her too and clenches his teeth while nodding. He also has a deep frown on his face. "You will never understand, won't you?" He asks, smiling bitter. Joo Hyun also forces herself to smile. "Understanding things won't change reality. If it wasn't for Seul Gi, I wouldn't even let you inside of my apartment. But as you can see, the more I try to distance myself from you, the more destiny plays its games by letting my bestfriend fall in love with you." Hyuk Jae coldly laughs and lowers his gaze back to his cap. "You are indeed a witch.." Joo Hyun turns her head to the other side and rolls her eyes while munching her toast. Now, she has inner battles no

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter