Hyunjin

They Call Me Villain

Hyunjin had spent his life trying to hide, to avoid people noticing him. He didn’t mind it when he was younger, didn’t understand why his mother would cry over it. She would apologize over and over for making him live like that and he always told her it was fine, he was happy just being with her. That always made her smile, but as he got older he came to understand that it was a forced smile. That his words actually hurt her more.

Hyunjin only found out why he had to hide and avoid others when his mother died. He was in his early teens by then, old enough to understand everything but young enough to be unable to do anything. With his mother dead, he was put into the system, just another orphan in the eyes of society. Except he wasn’t just another orphan. His power, dubbed medusa in his paperwork, was deemed too dangerous by everyone and he was hated and shunned for it.

He hated it, hated the other kids, more than anything. They beat him until he couldn’t move. They told him horrible things, said he was something evil and should die. It wasn’t right! It wasn’t fair! He didn’t do anything wrong! So one day he did something horrible and e of his attackers to stone. The other teen had been in the middle of beating him, had already broken his arm and bruised him so badly that the wounds took ages to heal. It wasn’t the first time either, not even close.

All Hyunjin did was open his eyes.

Honestly, he was just defending himself.

He realized afterwards that no one would see things his way, that he was going to get into so much trouble. So he ran. He got up and just ran as fast and as far as his legs could take him. Eventually he stopped running and decided to do what his mother had taught him; hide. He found something to cover his eyes and took to living on the streets. It wasn’t easy and he lost count of how many times he almost died, mostly due to weather since he could turn anyone who attacked him to stone, but he survived.

He just……survived.

 

--

 

“Jisung,” Felix huffed, trying to keep up with the young flame villain, “slow down!”

“No way,” Jisung laughed, charging on ahead.

Felix cursed to himself. Normally he could keep up with his friend, but that was when he was at one hundred percent. A few days prior, Felix and Taekwoon had gone on a little job for Sanghyuk. It wasn’t anything too intense, but Felix did get roughed up a bit. He’d refused Woojin’s healing, insisting that he was alright. He really wasn’t, he figured that something had been done to his ribs, but Woojin had just looked so tired. Felix could make him drain his energy more.

Turned out he really should have gotten Woojin’s help because his ribs really hurt.

Felix paused, trying to catch his breath. That was when he noticed the homeless guy stumbling along the sidewalk ahead of him. He had a cloth or something covering his eyes and Felix wondered if he was blind. His heart hurt for the man and he didn’t hesitate to go help him.

“Hello,” Felix smiled slightly, “are you alright?”

“W-who?” the man startled and Felix froze for a moment, taken a bit off-guard at how young the man sounded. Looking at him closely, Felix was very surprised and saddened to realize the man was about his age. He hated seeing someone so young on the streets. He knew from personal experience and from Wonsik how horrible living like that was.

“I wanted to know if you needed any help,” Felix said.

Before the man could say anything, Jisung came running back. The slightly older ‘villain’ cursed as he saw Felix talking to a stranger. Felix was just too kind hearted sometimes. They couldn’t trust everyone, not when the fake heroes were starting to drop some serious coin for tips on where to find the Twin Flames and their allies. The homeless guy Felix was talking to could easily turn on them and Jisung refused to let his best friend get hurt.

“Felix,” he snapped, putting himself between the two, “what do you think you’re doing?”

“I’m just trying to help,” Felix pouted, “he can’t see, Sunggie.”

“How do you know?” Jisung challenged, “It could be an act.”

“Hey!” the homeless man snapped, clearly not liking Jisung’s tone or what he was implying, “I’ve done nothing wrong here!”

“Stay out of this,” Jisung growled.

“Jisung,” Felix scowled, “stop it.”

“No way,” Jisung turned his glare to Felix, “you’re too trusting, Lix. It’s going to get you hurt.”

Before Felix could argue back, someone else showed up. Multiple someones.

“It’s one of the Twin Flames!” one of them shouted, “and Ash!”

“Get them!” another said, “the heroes will pay big for even one of them.”

“,” Jisung hissed, pushing Felix behind him and getting ready to burn the group down to nothing.

But before he could do anything the homeless guy had yanked down the cloth covering his eyes and turned the group to stone. He quickly covered his eyes back up and tried to get away, but the ‘villain’ pair had already seen what he’d done.

“You’re like me,” Felix said, causing the homeless man, Hyunjin, to freeze.

“W-what do you mean?” he asked, turning to face Felix as best he could with his impaired vision.

“I turn whatever I touch to ash,” Felix said, taking a careful step towards Hyunjin, “I….you……” He paused, trying to find the right Korean words, “did they call you a villain growing up, too?”

“Felix,” Jisung snapped before Hyunjin could respond, “I can here sirens, heroes are gonna be here soon. We’ve got to go!”

“Wait just a second,” Felix said before returning his attention to Hyunjin, “come with us?”

He grabbed Hyunjin’s hand in a loose hold. If the other boy wanted to come with them, he only needed to tighten his grip. If he wanted to go, to never see them again……Felix would let him go. He wanted Hyunjin to come with them. Their family was always ready to welcome others who’d been wronged by heroes and society, but if that wasn’t what the other wanted……

“Felix!” Jisung yelled, clearly pleading with his friend to start moving.

Hyunjin hesitated for a second longer before tightening his hold on Felix’s hand and letting the other boy take him wherever he wanted. He didn’t know exactly why he’d accepted the other’s offer, but he just…..he was sick of being alone. He missed human contact. Even if it was all a lie and he was being taken somewhere to be killed…….at least he had a few minutes of physical contact with another human.

 

--

 

When they’d arrived at the group’s apartment building, Felix had taken Hyunjin straight to Sanghyuk. After explaining the situation, Sanghyuk had asked for details about Hyunjin’s power. The leader had offered Hyunjin a bed, a place to stay for as long as he wanted, and he’d taken the offer. Just like when he’d taken Felix’s hand, he decided that he was sick of being alone and just went with it. He didn’t regret it, especially when Sanghyuk surprised him with something wonderful the next morning.

“Open your eyes,” Sanghyuk instructed and Hyunjin did as told, “like them?”

“They’re nice,” Hyunjin nodded, smiling slightly.

He’d never had glasses like this. Well, they were more goggles then glasses, but the point remained; this was a first. As a child he’d had to do with whatever crappy pair of shades his mother dug up. After she’d died he’d only had one or two pairs and the other kids had been quick to break them, limiting his mobility to just his little room. When he was homeless, all he had was his cloth. Sometime he could find some sunglasses, but they never lasted very long.

But these goggles that Sanghyuk had gotten him……they were something else. He could see everything clearly and the band made sure that they wouldn’t fall off. This was good because if he didn’t have the band then they would have fallen off seconds later when Felix rushed to hug him from behind.

“You look good,” Felix complemented him, moving to stand in front of him and Hyunjin took in the other’s appearance for the first time. Felix was cute, adorable really. A bit shorter then him with freckles spread across his face. His smiled was bright, like sunshine. Honestly, Felix was like sunshine.

“They shouldn’t break easily,” Sanghyuk said, “but you should still be careful.” That last part was directed more at Felix than Hyunjin and the younger pouted slightly.

“Come on,” Felix smiled, offering Hyunjin his hand, “let’s show everyone.”

“Ok,” Hyunjin smiled slightly, taking Felix’s hand. He had a funny feeling that this wouldn’t be the last time he took Felix’s hand and let the younger do as he pleased.

But that was fine, he liked the warmth of Felix’s hand in his.

 

--

 

“You alright?” Woojin asked, startling the younger boy who was curled up in his lap.

“What are you talking about?” Hyunjin questioned, trying to pretend he hadn’t been sulking for the last ten minutes.

“You’ve been quiet and moody the last couple of days,” Woojin replied, “did something happen on your mission? Did you and Felix have a fight or something?”

“No,” Hyunjin sighed, “everything went fine on the mission, Felix and I worked together perfectly. Like we always do.”

He didn’t really like going on missions, preferring to stay home with his family, but since Sanghyuk always sent him out with Felix…….it wasn’t so bad. He liked spending time with Felix and it didn’t really matter what they spent their time doing. Hyunjin liked spending time with the others, like Chan who acted like his dad and Woojin who he felt the most relaxed around, but spending time with Felix was always special. Felix was his angel who’d saved him from his lonely existence after all.

“Then what’s the problem?” Woojin frowned, pulling the younger from his thoughts.

Hyunjin considered not telling the healer about what he was feeling, but in the end he just had to spill his guts. This was Woojin after all. He told his friend everything.

“Jisung and Felix are really close,” Hyunjin said.

“They’re best friends,” the older boy nodded, laughing slightly, “They were born less than twenty four hours apart, so I guess they were made for each other in a way.”

“They act like they’re dating,” Hyunjin sulked, snuggling into Woojin even more.

He didn’t used to get so bothered by how close Jisung and Felix were. He swears he used to be much more ok with it. But then…….then he started having feelings for Felix that went beyond friendship. He wanted to hold Felix’s hand and lace their fingers together. He wanted to kiss Felix and be kissed back. He wanted to wake up with Felix sleeping next to him every day for the rest of his life. He wanted to be the one who made Felix laugh the most, made him feel the happiest. He wanted to be the one who made Felix feel special and loved and wanted.

He wanted…….he wanted Felix; mind, body, and soul.

But he was scared.

Felix was so important to him and he didn’t want to ruin everything by sharing his feelings. He knew Felix wouldn’t end their friendship, he was too kind for that, but if Hyunjin confessed and Felix didn’t return his affections…….well, it would be impossible to go back to how things were. Hyunjin didn’t want to lose what he had, he couldn’t lose what he had. So keeping his mouth shut, even if all he wanted to do was scream his love from the rooftops, was his only option.

Besides, Felix deserved someone better.

Someone who could look at him without any help.

“Ah,” Woojin hummed, “I think I see the problem now.”

“Please don’t tell him,” Hyunjin begged, “please, I don’t want anything to change.”

“Alright,” Woojin agreed after a long moment.

Woojin might have promised not to tell Felix, but he didn’t promise not to tell anyone.

You see, Woojin knew that Felix returned Hyunjin’s feelings, he just wasn’t sure if Hyunjin actually liked him or what. Felix……well, he had some pretty nasty self-esteem issues. It came from a whole life of being told he was evil and from his power limiting his ability to connect people. When he’d joined the family, it had taken him a few months before he truly believed that they all loved him as a brother. That anyone other than Chan could love him like a brother. Believing that anyone could love him like Hyunjin did…….

So, Woojin had to help. For the sakes of two of the most important people in his life, he couldn’t just sit around and watch them hurt thinking that their love wasn’t returned.

 

--

 

“Why are they doing this?” Felix wondered, playing with the sleeve of his shirt.

“Because they’re dumb,” Hyunjin replied.

They pair had been locked in a closet, one so small that Felix couldn’t just take off his gloves and destroy the door without risking Hyunjin’s safety. Felix didn’t have a clue as to why this was happening, but Hyunjin had a suspicion. He glared darkly at the door, planning out Woojin’s death in his mind. He was never going to tell the other boy anything ever again.

“Are you alright?” Felix asked after several minutes of silence, “you’ve been acting off the past few days, so…..I was worried that something happened.”

“I’m alright,” Hyunjin was quick to assure his friend, feeling horrible that he’d made sweet Felix worry, “I just felt a little sick is all.”

“Woojin fixed you up, right?” Felix pressed, struggling to move his arms so that he could check Hyunjin’s forehead. He didn’t know why he even tried; it wasn’t like he’d be able to feel much with his gloves.

“Yeah,” Hyunjin smiled slightly, “I’m good now.”

“Good,” Felix smiled in return before moving to rest his head against Hyunjin’s shoulder and wrapping his arms around the other’s waist. If they were going to be there for a while, he might as well enjoy it. Hyunjin decided to enjoy it as well, wrapping his arms around Felix. He felt himself relaxing with Felix’s warmth pressed up against him, his breath against his skin, and his scent invading his nose. He allowed himself to relax so much that his mind started to wander, to daydream.

It wasn’t long before his mind was pulling up one of his favorite daydreams, one involving himself and Felix.

It also wasn’t long before Hyunjin couldn’t hide his feelings. When Felix looked up at him, looking so incredibly adorable with that confused expression on his face, he couldn’t help but give in to the urge to kiss him. When Felix kissed back, it was like a dam broke. Everything Hyunjin had been feeling for months poured out of him in the form of messy kisses and wandering hands. Felix met every kiss with one of his own, every brush of Hyunjin’s hands were echoed by Felix’s.

“I love you,” Hyunjin panted against Felix’s throat.

“You love me?” Felix asked, pulling away slightly so he could look Hyunjin in the eye, “really?”

“Yes,” Hyunjin nodded, “you deserve so much, Lix. So much better than me, but I just…….I need to tell you.”

“Why?” Felix asked after a moment, “Why would you love me? I….I can’t even touch people without gloves. I believe people too easily. I’m too dangerous. I—.“

“Don’t talk about yourself like that!” Hyunjin snapped, hating Felix’s words more than he could describe, “You’re wonderful! You’re perfect! I love seeing your smile because it always makes me feel better. I love hearing your deep voice because it’s so calming. I love how you believe in people, even when they’re too blind to see why you would. Even when they’re too stupid to see how wonderful you are. I love how you try to help people even when they’d rather turn you in for the reward money. I love you so much and I hate that you can’t see everything I see. You’re so amazing, I can’t even—.”

Felix cut him off with a kiss.

“I….I love you, too,” Felix said when he pulled away, “you…..you’re so perfect. You’ve got so much passion, so much love in your heart. You always know when someone’s having a bad day and you never hesitate to comfort them, do try to make them feel better. I feel so special when you pick me to cuddle with. It’s the best feeling in the world to know you feel that comfortable around me. That you trust me enough to fall asleep on my shoulder. I know you hate your eyes, but I think they’re wonderful. There’s so much emotion and love in them that it takes my breath away. There’s so many things I love about you, too many to count.”

Hyunjin was crying by the end of Felix’s speech and so was Felix. The pair hugged, whispered confessions filling the space around them. That was how the other’s found them and Hyunjin couldn’t be bothered to be angry at them for interfering, at Woojin for telling people his secret. He just led Felix to his room where they spent the rest of the night cuddling and pledging to love each other forever.

In the morning, they told the others that they were dating and everyone congratulated them. Hyunjin felt so warm, so happy and accepted and loved, that he started to cry a little. Felix cried, too. As he watched Chan try to stop the tears, he silently thanked Felix once again for offering his hand that day. Because of his angel, he had everything he always wanted; a home, a family, and love.

A/N: so when it came to Hyunjin’s power, I just knew it had to be something related to looks somehow. It also had to be something that would have an effect on our little cuddle monster’s ability to be, well, his cuddle loving self (seriously, that kid is always attached to someone, it’s the sweetest thing ever). Since I’d already given Felix a ‘death touch’ power, I knew it couldn’t be that. And that’s when the idea for Medusa struck. It seemed perfect! Thus I went with it. Now, Felix and Hyunjin getting together……that was just something that happened. Like, I was writing and…….that’s what I wrote.