Nine

I Loved You First
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Unnie, I heard Seulgi kissed you two times on the lips and once on the cheek.” Seungwan greets the older woman. For some reason this meetup is different from the other ones they had before. It seems like it’s lighter because of Seulgi’s progress.

“Correction. I kissed her on the lips once. I initiated the one by the elevator. You know, she kisses like a high schooler.” Joohyun admits it. There’s no point in denying when Seulgi already gave her part of the story. She remembers how she had to initiate biting Seulgi’s lip when they were in front of the elevator. It was like teaching a teenager to kiss.

“What? Like smooching?” Seungwan says. “Let’s count out that Monday kiss. She did that to stop you from crying. Now, that one by the elevator, that’s her first kiss! Imagine, all her kisses starting from high school were erased from her memories. I mean after the accident, that’s the first kiss she would remember. Not until she regains her memories.” She defends her best friend. She knows how Seulgi must have felt.

“It’s better than nothing, right?” Joohyun concedes defeat. “At least after two years, I finally exist to her.” She recalls how much time and effort she gave when Seulgi was in coma. She thinks it was all worth it. The pain, the endless crying. It was all worth it. It was worth not giving up on Seulgi, her love.

“Are you back together now?” Seungwan tries to pry. This one question is more personal than what she asked Seulgi. She is here as Joohyun’s friend so she does not need to add bull questions asking about the details of what happened because Seulgi already covered that in her sessions. She wants to know what her unnie feels at this moment.

“I don’t know. I don’t want to lead her on. I want her to do what she wants and in her own pace. I want it to be out of her own free will. I don’t want to force her to do things we used to do. I’m trying my hardest to differentiate the old Seulgi from the current one. I don’t want to lose her again.” Joohyun is determined this time.

----

Mondays are supposed to be busy and lethargic for Joohyun. But for some reason, not seeing Seulgi in the office makes her uneasy. She hasn’t called the web developer yet. She thinks Seulgi is getting revenge for what she did before they were even together. She looks at Seulgi’s resume. Those cat eyes are really something. She never thought monolid eyes would this be attractive for a woman.

After considering it for a long time, she finally decides to call. She hopes Seulgi would not pick up. What if she inputted the wrong number? She asks herself in worry. They already kissed so what’s a call to be afraid of?  After a ring, Seulgi answers.

All Joohyun can hear is panting. Those short, quick breaths resemble how Seulgi is in when they are doing something adults in a relationship would do. She doesn’t want to jump into conclusions but it was getting hot in her office. “Hello?” She tries to break her dirty thoughts and gets into action.

“Oh, hi! Sorry, I was jogging.” Seulgi says. She didn’t notice that the music in her earphones has stopped. Her phone must have been set answering calls automatically. She stops to run and tries to catch her breath. “You finally called.” She tries to hide her grin but she just couldn’t help it. Hearing Joohyun’s voice is soothing to her ears.

“Save my number, okay?” Joohyun tries to sound nonchalantly. She hopes it works well.

“When are you free? My shrink told me to hang out with you because I might trigger more memories.”  Seulgi is quick to divert that she’s asking Joohyun for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter