Twenty

I Loved You First
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun has been racking her head of what to do in this situation. She knew that eventually this time would come. And seeing Jennie again for the first time in two years is bringing back the memories of the ghosts of her sins before.

Now that she thinks of it, she never realized she would need Seungwan’s help as a shrink. She reckons, that maybe it’s the time she needs to open up that box that kept her depressed since Seulgi’s comatose accident.

“Well, you can tell me what’s worrying you.” Seungwan starts. This is her job. She thinks it would be awkward for Joohyun because they’ve been very close. After all, they’ve been close since their high school years. She pretty much revered the older lady. But with Seulgi’s revelation that Joohyun cheated, she’s up to take the side she doesn’t know. Though she hasn’t even talked with Seulgi yet, apart from just knowing the latter had gotten her memories back and that Joohyun had cheated, she is certain. She must stand between the lines and find out herself. After this, she’s planning on talking with Seulgi too.

“It feels awkward having you know these things. Like tell them.” Joohyun said. “After all these years, I’ve been trying to hide from my demons. I know I can trust you well and that you would be fair with my judgement.”

“I’m not here to judge. People can be triggered for the things they do, conscious or unconscious.” Seungwan reassured her sunbae.

“Remember that night Seulgi proposed to me?” Joohyun looked at Seungwan’s expressive orbs. It was nice not giving someone all the background to the story because it would be wasting time.

“Apart from you said no to her and she went to coma because she got into an accident?” Seungwan said as a matter-of-factly.

“I said no to her because I cheated on her.” Joohyun confessed. “It was the only way for me that time to save Seulgi from everything I’ve done.” She said in worry. Maybe this is a bad idea after all.

“And you cheated because?” Seungwan asked in a deadpanned expression. She has mastered this craft when having sessions with Seulgi before. She’s never thought it would come in handy like this.

“You’re not mad at me?” Joohyun inquired with a shocked expression. She could have asked someone else as her shrink but here she is, trying to make things worse for her.

“I’m not here as your friend. I’m here as your psychiatrist.” Seungwan had said, her tone was kind of caring. “But you need to tell me how it started. As I said, the human brain is unfathomable most of the time. We’re still figuring out things at this point. One case is different from another like a thumbprint.” She tries to give Joohyun a smile to help ease the latter’s nerves.

--

It was one rainy morning, and law school is nothing but endless readings to Joohyun. The pressure is there, of course. Being heir to a law firm and flunking would be a total disgrace to the family, especially her father. What face would she show to everyone? There wasn’t a choice to it, but to do as much as she can and resolve on to being a lawyer. One more year to the bar! One more year to grace and she will become a lawyer.

Her world became routinely. Reading here and there, watching mock trials and actual trials. Staying one more year in the university kind

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter