(4) Symptoms

Unexpected

(4) Symptoms


"It's been a week Sinb," Yuju started as soon as she slammed her hands on top of their boss' table. "May I remind you that you can't just cancel two meetings in a row?"


It has been a week since breaking up with Eunseo and having that one-night stand with Yerin, and still Sinb was stuck on that night. She could not help but think about her feelings towards Eunseo. She still loves her. No doubt about that, and what Eunseo did to her even though she has every right to get mad at her, does not seem to be the case now. 


She would forgive her. She always has. Sinb just needs to hear it from Eunseo. She just needs to hear her 'sorry' and she would forget everything that happened that night. That is just how she loves Eunseo so much. 


But she never heard a single 'sorry.' All she heard were excuses, lies, and pleas. Sinb does not need those, she needs a 'sorry' and maybe something between the lines of 'it will not happen again' or 'I'll try to be good for you.'


Eunseo was really a complicated woman. 


Sinb sighed, not minding Yuju in front of her. She was slumped against her humongous wooden desk with stacks of papers almost covering the entire table. It has only been a week and papers on her desk kept on piling up. Good Lord, can Friday finally come? 


"Sinb," Yuju called out on her bestfriend. She knew what happened on Sinb's date and she recalled going berserk when she heard Sinb's story. She wanted to give Eunseo some teaching and maybe give her a slap or two to wake up from what she did. But she did not, because when she was bursting fires and dragons while heading out of Sinb's house, Sinb stopped and asked her to just give up on 'lecturing' Eunseo. "I know today's still not a good day for you but you need to attend this meeting. I can no longer cover up for you. The director says I'm too weird in giving presentations. Can't blame him though, because I can't even understand a single thing in the presentation you made, I need to improvise." 


"But I don't feel like presenting last months sales Yuju," Sinb whined. "I will just lose focus on it. You could cover up for me like last time."


"Just what I said awhile ago I can't cover up for you any longer," Yuju answered as she massaged her temples. Sinb was so stubborn Yuju was having a headache. "Director wants to see you too."


"But I ca--" Sinb stopped midway in her sentence as she felt like throwing up. She immediately stood up and went to her own comfort room inside her office. Good thing, she was their division's chief and she got her own office plus what matters most to her, her own comfort room which she needed right now. 


Yuju followed Sinb as the latter went inside the comfort room, not minding to close the door behind her and throwed up in the sink. "Are you alright Sinb?"


"I-I'm fine, you do--" She did not managed to finish her sentence as she felt throwing up again. 


"I think you're sick Sinb," Yuju commented as she looked for some tissues to give her friend. "I'll talk to Director Jung about this and maybe she'll cancel the meeting or I would have to cover you up again." 


Yuju gave the tissues to Sinb as the latter cleaned herself after her small incident. Sinb dried herself and went to sit to the long couch facing her desk. She was feeling slightly ill since yesterday. Maybe because of work? Nah, Sinb thinks it was because of stressing out about her break up with Eunseo.


There's just no way it could be because of overwork. She practically skipped office hours and took a two day leave just to avoid working. Add to that was she was practically and literally zoning out. 


"I'll just go home Yuju," Sinb finally said as she stood up again. "I don't feel really well."

 

----

 

Yerin was stuck inside the house and was lazy browsing some magazines Eunha had bought the other day. She was not required to work today at the art gallery and flowershop, since Umji gave her a two days off from working past her shift just so she could be free last Saturday.


But it seemed that she was not enjoying her two days of being work-free because she was feeling rather unusual. She felt heavy and bloated. Like she does not want to do anything but just laze around the house. She was not even thinking of going out. What for? She has no one to accompany her. No Joy to be exact. 


Uh, she remembered Joy again. She need to stop thinking about her, it's been a week! But no matter how she convinced herself of not thinking about that woman, she just could not. The pain was just too much to be forgotten so easily, plus that five-year relationship. 


Yerin tried to shake her head. Nope, she promised herself not to mope about this. She closed the magazine she was reading as she has trouble reading it from the start with thoughts about Joy. She went to turn on the tv and browse some channels. 


"There should be something good in one of these." 


She stopped browsing when she saw some show of that caught her interest. It was a story between two underage couple who eloped together. When their families went to search for them, they found one of the couples pregnant, which in dramas, the other family does not accept. 


Okay, that was boring after all.


She browsed again and stopped to watch a news channel. She was not paticularly fond of watching the news as she would rather spend time at the flowershop. She was only watching it because of the news regarding stock market exhange. She needs to be up to date on that matter since she has a flowershop business. 


"Now, for tonight's hot news!" The anchor said. "Global superstar Yuna announced that she was four weeks pregnant with the songstress Eunbi. They talked about having pregnancy symptoms and their reactions when they found who was pregnant between them. Eunbi told the press that she was expecting for the both of them to be pregnant since they were equally forward and dominant when they made the deed but turns out Yuna would be carrying their baby. They al--"


Yerin switched channels again. She was a fan of Yuna but watching news of her getting pregnant seemed off to Yerin. Not that she does not want Yuna to have her family (she was a super supporting fan), she was just not in the mood to hear that particular news. She scratched her head as she browsed again. 


"There's not even a single channel that would make this day worthwhile huh," She said in an irritated tone. She stood up and went to the kitchen to pour herself some orange juice and went back to the living room with a glass in hand. Shows on tv was boring in Yerin's eyes and she decided to just turn off the particular device. But just when she was about to turn off the tv, her phone rang. "Yes Umji, you need something?"


"Nope, but I just want to share this piece of news with you." Umji said on the other line. 


"What is it?" Yerin asked and then took a gulp of her drink.


"Sejeong and Nayoung are having a baby!"  


Yerin was surprised and splattered the liquid from . "What?!"


"Are you okay?" Umji suddenly asked as she heard something from the other line. 


What's with these pregnancies?!


Yerin coughed. "I was just surprised. Anyways, who's carrying the baby?"


"Thought you wouldn't ask," Umji said. "It was Sejeong! What a great surprise huh?"


Yerin could not believe it. All this time she was thinking that Sejeong was a pretty dominant being. When they heard that their friend got a girlfriend by the name of Nayoung, she was pretty sure that Sejeoung would lead the relationship and she was proven on most part of the relationship. Yerin was surprised that there was something Sejeong would succumbed to and would be submisive about. Oh well, seems like Nayoung was the dominant one between them. "Yeah, Nayoung must be that good Sejeong became submissive all of a sudden."


"I know right," Umji agreed as she chuckled. "Well, she could overturn the tables once she's free to do it again."


"Yeah," Yerin just agreed. 

 

----

 

Sinb was permitted by the director to rest and now found herself going to the parking lot. Her head was throbbing and there was that slight feeling of nausea within her. She thought of not having to drive and just commute but she was reminded of the last time she did it, and it was terrible. 


Scratch commuting, she might as well drive than to be squished in between inside the train. 


Though not feeling well, Sinb managed to drive safely and she even took a different route on her way home. She thought that going against on what she was accustomed to could drift her mind to something else and not just Eunseo here and Eunseo that. While going a different road, she somehow passed a flowershop and she was caught with its display of various reds and other colors. 


The flowershop was rather nice and striking. The shop was painted in white with american-style wooden fences, giving it a homey look. Well, the shop was designed to look like a house, and its display, placed to what look like a front lawn. It does not need to be colorful since the different floras on display gave the shop its striking shades.   


Those are beautiful. 


She parked her car in front and went inside. 


Wait. She's not even fond of flowers, what the heck is she even doing inside? 


"What can I do for you?" A cute being asked her. Sinb looked at the woman and saw her id. Umji huh? What a unique name she has. "We have different variaties of flowers as you can see." 


"Uhm," Sinb started to look around. She was not fond with these types of things but she felt attracted to them though she does not know why. Then she saw a group of velvety reds at her right. They were small and rounded and its color was very striking. "What's the name of this one?"


"That's peonies," Umji said as she went near the woman who was asking. "You've got good taste I would say. These flowers really suit you."


"How could you say that?" Sinb asked. She was intrigued on how the particular set of flowers suits her. She once read in some books that florists are like tarot card readers, only they use flowers instead of some run down cards. They know one's character and personality just by the flowers a person would choose. 


"You seemed to be a career-minded woman to me, and you have this aura of passion and luxury. Peonies by the way symbolises honor and prosperity if you want to ask." Umji said enthusiastically.


"Really?" 


Sinb turned her attention at the flowers. They were really beautiful. Peonies would be a good addition in her coffee table or even in her dining table, she thought. Something to give life to her almost lifeless house. She looked at Umji and told the latter that she would buy a bouquet of peonies. 


Umji smiled and went to prepare Sinb's order but when she was about to go to her working table, she saw Sinb throwed up. Good thing, her flowers weren't damaged. She hurriedly went back to Sinb and assist her, offered her some stool to sit on and went to get some water. She went back almost immediately and gave Sinb the glass. "Are you okay?"


"Actually I think I'm feeling sick," Sinb weakly answered. "But I can manage."


"Are you allergic to flowers?" Umji asked out of precaution. 


"No, I'm not. I'm just feeling a little bit under the weather." Sinb assured the owner. She does not want this particular stranger to worry over her since it was not her shop and the flowers to blame on why she puked. 


"Tell me what are you feeling right now," Umji said as she took the empty glass from Sinb and placed it at the counter. "I want to help if there's something I can do."


Sinb hesitated in telling Umji how she feels right now since she does not really want to be a bother. But seeing those cat eyes looking at her intently, she knew it would be hard to sway the concerned owner. "Well, I've been puking up only recently and I have a terrible headache to come along with it. It makes me so tired to even focus at work actually. Maybe I should go see a doctor."


"I think so too," Umji added. "It's either you're just stressed or... maybe pregnant?" 


Sinb's eyes widen at the last word she heard. Did she heard it right? How come this woman came to the conclusion that she might be pregnant?! There's no way she could be.  


Umji noticed the change in Sinb's face and thought that maybe she said something wrong. "Sorry if that offended you, I just blabber without thinking. But seeing a doctor would be good for your health." 

 

----

 

"Where's my double dutch ice cream here?" Eunha asked her sister as she tried to look for the missing pint of ice cream. She just came home after her work as a kindergarten teacher, and while being with kids was fun to her, it was also challenging and tiring. And now that she was home, all she wanted to do was to eat her ice cream she bought for herself a day before and laze around watching tv. "Did you eat it unnie?"


"Uh-oh," Yerin said as she remembered eating it. She was on their couch with magazines in hand and chips on her side. "That was yours? I thought it was someone else."


"What?!" Eunha could not believe what she heard she went out of the kitchen and went straight in front of Yerin. "Hello?! Earth to unnie, were the only ones residing in this house. If that ice cream wasn't yours, then that's obviously mine!" 


"Eyy," Yerin said lazily, not even minding to look at her infuriated sister. "That was just some ice cream Eunha, you could buy again and eat it."


Eunha puffed. "Next time I'm going to buy ice cream, I'll make sure to have a passcode on our fridge." 


"What?" Yerin reacted. Her sister's in a bad mood today too huh? Yerin closed the magazine she was reading. She was just getting to the good part of the pregnancy article and here was Eunha in front of her whining about her missing ice cream. "You're going to desperate measures here bunny. Look, sorry for the ice cream okay? I was just feeling hungry and lazy and your ice cream screams of 'eat me' and so I did."


"Oh yeah?" Eunha challenged her sister. "You think I will forgive you just because you said sorry?"


The bunny was sure mad at her right now, and all because she ate her precious ice cream! Yerin sighed once more, she was feeling unusual and Eunha's whining was not making it any better. "Uhh, I think so?"


"You," Eunha started as she slumped her body on the couch beside her. "Go buy me some ice cream. Any kind of ice cream right now."


"And then you'll forgive me?" Yerin asked. Truth be told, she does not want to get outside but she was guilty for eating her sister's ice cream. 


Eunha smiled then frowned in a split second. "If you want me to forgive you, then go buy it." 


"Ugh, okay."

 

----

 

Week 2, Saturday, 8:45 a.m.


Yuju went to visit Sinb in the latter's house and she had no trouble entering since she has a duplicate key. Sinb gave her one as a sign that the redhead could use her house anytime. Also, especially when Sinb would knock herself drunk and Yuju would be the designated driver of the drunk lady. 


"Hey Sinb!" Yuju greeted once she came inside. But there was no reply that greeted her back. "Is she not here? But she has no schedules for this day though." 


Yuju went to the living room and scanned the area. She was shocked to see how messy Sinb's living room was. There were stacks of tissues and papers scattered on the floor. She also noted that Sinb might have slept in the living room with the latter's blanket on the red couch and pillows not on their original places. "What happened here?"


Then as if to answer Yuju's question, she heard some grunts in the bathroom. Yuju went to the bathroom and knocked if Sinb was there. "Hey Sinb! Are you okay there?" 

 

----

 

Week 2, Saturday, 8:45 a.m.


"Are you okay Yerin?" Sowon asked as she noted how Yerin became pale after their jogging. "You shouldn't come with me if you're feeling sick." 


Yerin kept on huffing and puffing some air. This was a first for her. She does not get tired easily, why did she became so weak? "I think we've ran longer today than usual."


"Hey, drinks for the both of you." Eunha said while offering some Gatorade to the two panting women. She was just watching them jog along the oval while preapring their breakfast. It was their habit to jog and take morning exercises in the sports complex of their village. Well, more like it was Yerin and Sowon's habit. Eunha just wants to tag along with them and watch them ran out of breath. "You seem pale Yerin unnie? Are you okay?"


"Yeah, I'm fine." Yerin answered shortly. "I just feel so heavy today. You know, like bloated?" 


"Bloated?" Sowon asked before chugging her down her drink. "Are you still not on your period yet?" 


"That got me thinking too," Eunha said as she remembered that their stacks of tampons she bought for this month's visit was not even used. "Unnie, yours should be on the first week of this month right?"


Yerin was silent for a moment. Shoot. "Yeah, but I guess that happens sometimes." She answered and Eunha and Sowon talked about other things. Though they were talking a different topic, Yerin was stuck on the period thing. How come she has not realized that her period was supposed to arrive on the first week? But that happens, right? 


Yerin could not sit well with the idea that she excused herself from the lovey dovey couple in front of her and went to the rest room. Once she was inside, she dropped her undergarments to check if she has already been visited by the 'monthly visitor.'


What the heck? I should have been on my period last week.


Yerin thought hard on why she was still not on her period until she heard some footsteps entered the rest room. She heard them talking about...yes, about some pregnancy tips. She silently huffed as she was so tired listening, reading, and watching something that was related on that particular topic. Why was she hearing and watching those recently? 


Then it struck her.


Crap. That can not be the reason on why she was not on her period. She could not be. But she was feeling unusual with a terrible headache. She feels bloated and nauseated sometimes and she was not on her ing period that she should have a week ago for pete's sake! What could all those mean? But she can't. She just could not be. 


"Oh fudge, but what if I am?!"

 

-oo0oo-

(5) PT for Everyone

 

-oo0oo-

I squeezed in three drafts in this one because...I just can't seem to choose which is a better fitting for this story. Oh well, guess I have answered someone's question :), if not, then let's pray hard together again!