(24) Her Or Me?

Unexpected

(24) Her Or Me?

 

"I need to go to work," Yerin mumbled as she struggled to get out of the bed. Her body felt weak and so does her eyes felt heavy when she tried to open them. She also felt cold despite the blanket still covering most of her body. And when she tried to get up, it felt like her world was spinning.

 

But still, that didn't stop Yerin from going to work. She has to if she does not want to get yelled by Umji for not taking care of their business. She would be flying solo for the rest of the year since her partner would be focusing in her exhibit. And not only that, she was super aware of the coming Christmas season, meaning, there are more occasions happening at the end of the year.

 

So there are no excuses for the duckie to even lag even a day behind.

But when she was about to bring herself up from the much inviting bed, she was pushed back again from it. "You're not going to work today, Yerin."

 

Yerin tiredly looked at Sinb who was donning a flowered dress. Yerin does not have any idea nor a clue that Sinb has dresses inside her closet. And a flowery dress at that! Wow. If her world was not spinning, Yerin swore that she would go gaga over Sinb's looks right now. 

 

"I need to go to work Sinb. And you need too," Yerin answered weakly. Truth be told she does not want to get out from the bed and from Sinb, but she really need to go.

 

"I said no, alright," Sinb scolded her. She was using the infamous Jessica glare to shut Yerin up and pushed her again into the bed. She tucked the blankets again with Yerin just looking at her. "And I already talked to Umji about you not going to work. She said she could take care of the shop so you don't need to worry."

 

"B-but I--" Yerin was stopped from arguing her case when Sinb managed to put a thermometer in . Just what the heck?! Was she sick?

 

"No more squirming," Sinb ordered.

 

If it were a movie, Yerin could describe Sinb as Mary Poppins right now. Caring like a mother, she thought. Yerin suppressed a smile while observing Aphrodite's daughter. But she really need to get to work. Yerin tried once more to get up despite the Jessica glare she has been receiving from Sinb.

 

"Jung Yerin," Sinb's voice graved. It was stern and on the verge of being strict that Yerin stopped midway. She was not used to this kind of voice Sinb was giving her. "You don't want me to get angry at you."

 

But Yerin still squirmed, and Sinb's eyebrow could not help but twitch. "Lie. Back. Down." It was almost a growl and Yerin immediately pressed her back again into the bed.

 

"B-but why?" Yerin asked though her voice was strained. But still, it felt like Yerin was begging her mother to let her have a chocolate.

 

Sinb got out the thermometer from Yerin's mouth and she was right. Her cute reckless being was practically burning. So that was the reason why she was having trouble sleeping last night. Sinb looked at the pouting Yerin in front of her and... Mama Mary, Yerin was so cute with those puffy cheeks!

 

Sinb gulped at the sight. Damn, Yerin coud still look cute while having a forty degrees fever! It was so unfair for her racing heart! 

 

"Y-you're practically burning and you still want to go to work? C'mon, give yourself a break Yerin." Sinb managed to say despite stuttering on her first sentence. 

 

"I'll just take some medicine along the way," Yerin still argued her case. She does not want to take Sinb's time in the morning especially when the other still has to go to work too. Yerin abruptly went out of bed and got herself a towel. But before she could open the door, Sinb had grabbed her by the hem of her shirt. 

Yerin was a lot stronger than Sinb. But on that particular day where she was not feeling normal, Sinb managed to bring her back into the bed in the most cartoonish way Yerin may have imagined. That's just how weak she was. 

 

"Jung Yerin," Sinb called out to her. 

 

Gosh, that was the second time she called her name. And instead of feeling scared, Yerin was basically imagining some weird scenarios in her head. Yeah, something along the lines of...eyy, we know it already.

 

Sinb quirked an eyebrow when Yerin just stared at her. Sinb's heart was racing again because of the stare. It seemed Sinb will not get used to that Yerin stare anytime soon. "W-why are you staring?" 

 

But no response. Yerin just stared back. Sinb waved a hand in front of her cute reckless being as she was beginnning to think that her fever may have caused Yerin to go blank. "Jung Yerin hey!"

 

Shifting pancakes! That's the third time, Yerin screamed inside her head. I wonder how will my name sound like if we we--

 

Sinb slapped Yerin to wake her up in her trance. Not the kind it could hurt Yerin, just the right amount to wake her senses up. Yerin was shocked when she was slapped and Sinb felt relieved. 

 

"That hurts you know," Yerin told her as she caressed her cheek from the slap. "Was looking at you a crime now?"

 

"W-Why are you even looking at me? Just rest will you?" Sinb said as she tucked the blankets. Yerin was not retaliating against her but just looking at her. Again.

 

Sinb was even thinking to give Yerin one of her selcas to stare at just so the latter could stop looking at her. 

 

"How will I stop when you're being gorgeous without even trying?" Yerin reasoned out. It was true though. Sinb was in her bare face, her hair in a pony tail, and she was in a freaking dress! Not to mention the dress with flowers as its design. "If you want me to stop looking at you then make yourself ugly, Sinb. But no, I think you're definition of ugly would still be beautiful in my eyes so...just get used to me staring at you." 

 

Sinb blushed at the longest form of tease Yerin just thrown that she pouted. Oh my, since when did she feel elated by such words? "Y-you really need to rest. You're spouting nonsense already." 

 

Yerin smiled though it did not reached her eyes. She was so weak, she just want to sleep at that moment but complimenting and teasing Sinb all at once was fun. "You think I'm saying it just to be polite?"

 

"J-just stop it already okay?" Sinb ordered her. She covered her ears to make a message that she does not want to teased at anymore and Yerin just laughed at her.

 

"Alright I'll stop. I'll just stay here in the house," Yerin said to her. "You need to go to work now. You wouldn't want to be late." 

 

"Who said I'm going to work too? How can I when you're sick?" Sinb said as a matter-of-fact. 

 

"You're going to stay here?"

 

"Yup! I'm going to take care of you," Sinb answered her enthusiastically. It would be her chance to return all those times that Yerin took care of her.

 

Yerin frowned. She does not want to trouble Sinb in taking care of her. She was sure she could manage herself. "You don't have to. Monster Mom might scold you if you won't go to the office."

 

Oh shoot. Did she just blurt out that Jessica was Monster Mom to Sinb?! Crap! That nickname was supposed to stay inside her head and imagination only!

 

"Monster Mom?" Sinb inquired. Who the hell is Monster Mom? Oh...don't tell me... "Are you calling Jessica that?"

 

Uh-oh.

 

Yerin waved her hands in a crossing manner. "N-no, t-that's not what I meant!" She was now sure Sinb would hate her for calling her mom the worst nickname she could ever come up with. But instead of Sinb getting angry at her, she was surprised to hear Sinb's loud laugh. 

 

O-kay? 

 

"Why are you laughing?"

 

Sinb wiped the tears as she looked at Yerin who was asking innocently. "That was a good name! I approve Yerin hahahaha!"

 

"Y-you're not angry at me?" 

 

"Why would I when I think of mom like that too?" Sinb answered her in between her laughs. "I already told Yuju to file a leave for me. And mom Tiffany already knew about it too so don't worry." 

 

"But how about you? You and the baby might get sick because of me," Yerin said while looking at Sinb's womb. 

 

"We always have vitamins remember? We won't get sick," Sinb replied. "You still have questions to ask?"

 

Yerin smiled and nodded at Sinb. Sinb seemed contented at Yerin's answer that she stood up from the bed and placed the thermometer over the side table. 

 

Okay, so maybe having Aphrodite's daughter taking care of her would not be such a bad idea. She was lowkey wanting to be taken care of too. It has been a long time since her parents has taken care of her when she was sick. And she was looking forward to more Sinb interaction to amuse her day.

 

"Should I give myself a point against Eugene?" Yerin asked cutely to which Sinb stopped in her tracks. Sinb looked at her confused. "Oh you know, Eugene has been taking most of your time since I got it for you. He has been garnering point by point against me while I'm still zero."

 

Sinb chuckled. "You sure you're not on fluctuating hormones like me? I get it, give yourself five points ahead of Eugene." 

 

"Really? Five points ahead of him?" Yerin wanted to confirm. "Why so many points?"

 

Sinb raised an eyebrow. "You don't want to win against him? I think you deserve it more than that plush toy. And besides, you'll be getting more points since I will only focus on you." 

 

Yerin just stared at her because of how she heard the emphasis on 'you.' Sinb left the room with a wink and a smirk to the frozen Yerin inside the room. 

 

----

 

Sinb felt guilty when she opened the door to see how awfully sick Yerin was. If only she was not craving for some stupid ice cream. But these cravings are so hard to repress! Sinb had tried different things to forget that she was having some cravings but nothing worked. 

 

She has with her a basin of warm water and a towel and she quietly busted inside the room. She found Yerin having some beads of sweat while sleeping. Damn, Sinb cursed inside her head. She placed the basin over the side table and dipped the towel and placed it on top of Yerin's forehead. 

 

Yuju must not be wrong about this, Sinb thought. Actually, she had no idea how to take care a sick Yerin let alone a person with a fever. She was used in her mothers taking care of her and that meant going to the doctor. Yup. Sinb's mothers way of taking care of her when she was sick was to drive her to the pedia and leave her at the nursery room. 

 

Such caring parents she has.

 

But she does not blame them since they are career-oriented people. They were just too much on that note though. 

 

"That's should be alright," Sinb muttered. "If her fever's not going down, I'll call Dr. Kang to the rescue." 

 

Sinb was about to stand up from the side of the bed when Yerin shifted her weight for a better position. The towel got off from her forehead and Sinb went to arrange it again. And Sinb found herself staring at the sleeping figure in front of her. 

 

Yerin, while sleeping, was not cute. 

 

To Sinb, Yerin's sleeping form was Yerin being unconsciously beautiful. No scratch that, she was beyond that. Ethereal might be the best word to describe her right now. 

 

Sinb took off the towel and wiped Yerin's face off the sweat. She also arranged the stray hairs for her to see Yerin in that beautiful and peaceful state. Sinb was staring for quite awhile and by the duration she has been staring, she might have memorized every detail and feature of Yerin's face. 

 

She noticed how big her forehead was but it does not look ugly to Sinb. For her, Yerin's forehead was just right, full even, and the bangs was giving more depth to her cute reckless being's face. She was wishing that Yerin would let her forehead rest from all those bangs even for one time only or even for her only. She promised she would not laugh simply because there was nothing to laugh about, but to keep something from herself from which Yerin does not want other people to see. 

 

Sinb also noticed that there was a small mole on Yerin's left eye. She chuckled when she saw that and she does not know why. Maybe she find it cute? Well Sinb could not deny that Yerin's eyes were among the prettiest she has ever seen when she first met her. But now that they have been practically living together in the same roof did she only realise that her eyes were not among the prettiest. 

 

Sinb was sure that it was the most beautiful eyes the world has created. And she would fight anyone who dares try to argue with her on that. Not because she has a crush on the sleeping beauty that everything seemed so magical in her eyes, no, it was for the simple fact that when Yerin's eyes smile it felt like she was bringing the sun with her. It was bright and cheerful.

 

She also remembered how Yerin's side profile made her gawk. She thought it was perfect, and she was not wrong. She carefully trailed her finger across Yerin's nose bridge and stopped upon reaching the tip of it. She stopped not to give us a description on how pointed it was but because her eyes drifted from that part a long time ago. 

 

She was now staring at the brunette's lips. Sinb unconsciously her lips when she noticed how soft and moist Yerin's were. She was reminded of the countless times Yerin had kissed her and she blushed knowing that most of them were given in the middle of their make-outs. But if she were to pick one of those, that would be that time when Yerin met Jessica formally. Sinb swore she would never forget that moment. 

 

Sinb her lips once more as she felt a sudden urge to kiss the brunette while she still has the chance. It really looked so soft. Sinb was starting lean closer to kiss...

 

Holy freak! Why was she even thinking of kissing her?!

 

Yerin was sick and all the brunette needs right now was not some smooching! Sinb mentally slapped herself from closely losing her mind. Goodness gracious, getting Yerin's virus was so not into her plan!

 

She leaned away and just bit her inner lip as she settled herself into staring at the sleeping beauty once more. She was grateful to have met Yerin. If she had not seen Eunseo making out with someone, she does not know if she would be able to meet this walking sunshine. Sinb was even thinking if she would ever develop this kind of crush towards other people or even Eunseo. Because the feeling she was having now was a first for her and may not even be comparable if it was someone else. 

 

"Thank you for coming to that old rusty bar and lending your ear to my rants that night," Sinb whispered. "You never know how much I'm so grateful of meeting you." 

 

"Welcome."

 

Oh . 

 

Sinb's heart went leaping out of its original place in her chest. That reply scared the wits out of her! When was she awake?! Sinb could not help but blush as she tried to remember the thing she has just said awhile ago. Damn...

 

"D-don't tell me you're awake this whole time?" Sinb asked in horror. She would be mortified if Yerin would answer her that she was. Oh girl.

 

Yerin smiled as she nodded. Actually she was awake when Sinb put the towel in her forehead for the second time as she shifted weight. She just decided to play asleep when Sinb started to gaze at her. 

 

"Y-you!" Sinb could not believe it! She should not have stared at her! Now what would Yerin think of her? For sure she might really think that she has a crush on her...crap! She was wishing for the bed to collapse on her so Yerin would not see her in her most embarrassing state but instead of the bed collapsing, a pair of arms enveloped her. And our dear pregnant protagonist froze on her spot.

 

"I didn't know that you're really grateful for us to meet. Can we call it destiny now?" Yerin teased. 

 

Oh right.

 

"You're on your flirt mode again," Sinb groaned. She did not considered their meeting as some crossing of destiny or fate, that was so corny. But meeting and getting to where they are right now might be really destiny's work? "Guess you're not sick anymore?"

 

"Still feeling a little weary but your staring made me feel a whole lot better," Yerin answered her in the most cheesiest way possible. Sinb cringed but she did not bother to untangle herself from Yerin's hug. "You're like a walking medicine! I'm not feeling dizzy anymore, see?" 

 

"Yeah, yeah," Sinb dismissed with poker face on. But she was literally dying inside she wanted to scream.

 

"You know Sinb, you appearing into my life made it worth another try for me," Yerin started, still not letting go of the hug. She heard Sinb's 'hmm' urging her to move on. "Remember what I told you last time when I was on the rooftop? Well, I'm just going to repeat what I've said on that night. I was grateful that I met you too. More than grateful Sinb..." Yerin trailed as she let go of the hug.

 

Sinb's heart was running on its dear life as it kept on pumping maybe eight times more than its normal speed. Why was Yerin telling it to her again? To serve as a response to her? But she perfectly understood that Yerin was grateful of meeting her alright, why does it seem so...different from last time? 

 

Sinb warily looked at Yerin who was now intently watching her every reaction. "Do you think I'm only saying this just to be polite again?" 

 

Sinb kept mum. She had her head hung low for Yerin not to see how much she was blushing right now. But Yerin knew it already. She knew how Sinb would blush to almost everything she says, and she finds it too cute and adorable. 

 

Yerin got a hold on Sinb's cheek for the latter to look at her. And she could not deny that Sinb blushing might just make her day perfect despite feeling weak. "Hey Sinb, I think it's time for you to know that everything I said or have done to you was not because I just want to tease you. All of it were true."

 

Sinb was looking into those beautiful eyes once again. She was drowning into that Yerin's stare as she saw herself being reflected by those brown orbs. She felt warm and secured just by looking at those. "A-alright, I believe you now."

 

But Yerin just stared back. Oh, here she goes again with the long staring. But something was off.

 

Sinb was counting the second on when Yerin would back. Yerin would always do that, say something that will make heart go pounding inside her chest, only to as a way of retracting every word she said. But Yerin was not saying anything back to her. And Sinb noted how that gaze of Yerin was different from all those gazes she had thrown at her.

 

"Sinb, I..."

 

"What is it?"

 

"I..."

 

Sinb was cursing Yerin inside her head for making her erratic heart malfunction. Her heart was racing so fast no other description could be made. She swore she would go crazy if Yerin would still prolong her sentence. She wanted to know what her cute reckless being wanted to say to her. What was it?

 

Then Yerin slowly leaned closer to hers. Closer and closer...

 

Then a doorbell was heard. 

 

Sinb's heart seemed to stop beating as Yerin got distracted from the doorbell and tried to stand up to get to it. "No, you stay here. You're still sick and you need to rest. Let me be the one to open the door, okay?"

 

Yerin only hummed as she went back to bed. And as Sinb went out of the room, Yerin was left with her thoughts on what transpired earlier. Just how will she get another chance to say it? 

 

----

 

Yerin got tired from waiting for Sinb to get back in the room and decided to get down to the living room to see who was 'their' guest. She was still feeling a little bit dizzy but she managed to get out and look for Aphrodite's daughter. But there was no one in the living room. Where could they be? 

 

Yerin slowly went to open the door leading to the backyard and saw an unfamiliar face with whom Sinb was talking to. And it seemed they are in a heated conversation. Yerin wanted to interfere since Sinb must not get stressed due to the high-pitched voice the woman was using, but she was weak and she heard something that she might not want to hear. 

 

The woman was facing the back of the house and she saw Yerin coming out of the back door. Sinb could not see since the latter's back was facing Yerin. Good timing, the woman said to herself. She called Sinb's attention just to say, "This talk is getting nowhere with your reasoning Sinb. I made myself clear so just choose. Me or her?"

 

Yerin heard it. She clearly heard it, and she was waiting for Sinb's answer. A second turned into five, then into ten, and it seemed to Yerin that Sinb was having a hard time answering. Somehow, Yerin felt her heart beating hard and her stomach churning. She does not like what she was feeling. Why was Sinb having a hard time answering it?

 

Then it was clear for Yerin as she observed how the two figures seemed to be frozen in time in their spot. She knew the woman saw her, and just like her, she was waiting for an answer too. Just why can't Sinb choose? 

 

Oh.

 

Yerin back tracked and closed the back door behind her. She slowly went upstairs, tucked the blanket and closed her eyes. What kind of answer was she  expecting? Does she think Sinb will choose her? How could she be so foolish?

 

There were no options for Sinb, Yerin thought. 

 

Because she was not even a choice. 

 

Yerin opened her eyes. She had never felt this way when Joy broke up with her. It was a different kind of feeling. It clenches her chest from breathing and her heart giving warning signs that it would stop any moment. 

 

She knew how much Sinb loved her ex-girlfriend. Sinb had told her on their very first meeting that she was ready to marry that woman. To think that Aphrodite's daughter was considering to get married on that time they first met. Then suddenly, it was as if what Sinb thanked her for awhile does not mean anything at all. 

 

She just could not compete with a woman like that. Eunseo will always be that woman for Sinb. Yerin knows it and she knew, Sinb was sure of it too. 

 

So there was no point for that woman to make Sinb choose. Yerin was thinking she did that because she saw her. She did that to silently remind her of her place. 

 

There were no options.

 

Because Yerin was sure that Sinb will choose Eunseo over and over again no matter what. 

 

And that thinking finally led Yerin's tears run down her cheeks.

 

-oo0oo-

(25) Drifting Apart

 

-oo0oo-

I was about to post this yesterday but Yerin hitting Yuju's highnote and Mingyu's performance in their concert kept me oh so distracted. I'm still re-watching Yerin's highnote on yt and I'm just flailing over her! Uwuuu!!! So I'm very sorry for those who were waiting for an update (silently blaming my stans for keeping me busy hahahaha) but here it is! 

Thanks for reading! :)