(16) My One New Truth

Unexpected

 

(16) My One New Truth

 

"Take care of the flowershop for me, partner," Yerin told Umji. It was a Friday and Yerin decided to visit the farm house she and Umji had purchased for their flowershop business. She also decided to man the delivery on Sunday afternoon which means she will be gone for two days in the city. "I'll be back soon!"

 

"You're happy that you get to go out of the city huh?" Umji chimed back as she looked inside Sowon's jeepney. "Just make sure you're still doing business there and not vacation."

 

Yerin pouted. Umji's such a busybody, Can't she rest for a bit? My, so only the lovebirds in front of the car get to enjoy their two-day break huh? "Yes Ma'am," 

 

"Okay, we'll go now," Sowon informed. "See you later Umji!" 

 

Umji waved back at the fading car in the distance and turned her focus into closing the gallery. She was about to lock the door when suddenly someone from behind slung her arms across her shoulder.

 

"Oh, Yuju! What brings you here?" Umji asked. Well she needs to if she doesn't want to assume that Yuju wants to meet her. 

 

"Why still need to ask when there's only you here?" Yuju answered. "Of course, I want to see you! Let's hang out?"

 

Scratch the assuming part. Umji's cheeks were tinted pink at that. Gosh, why was Yuju so straightforward? 

 

Umji was yet to answer but Yuju doesn't seem to mind. Instead, she placed her head on Umji's shoulders but enough to graze her breath on the younger's ear. "I won't accept no for an answer."

 

----

 

Eunha might be talking to Yerin but they never discussed the whole ordeal of what happened days ago at the arcade. Yerin doesn't seem to mind but was sure to tell Eunha when they get to the farmhouse. Sowon acted as the mediator of the two telling both that they should not hurry each other's willingness to tell and listen.

 

The ride would be 5 hours long once they traverse the expressway. It would be a long ride and so Eunha made sure to bring lots of snacks and food for them. Yerin won't buy anything at any gasoline stop along the expressway, and Eunha thought that unless they will treat her, she would sure eat at the stop. Which, by the way, was the least thing Eunha wanted to do. And so she stuffed more snacks and food for the overly-thrifty sister they have on board. 

 

----

 

"What a boring day," Sinb remarked to herself. She just finished her steak and probably watched Harry Potter too many times that day that she felt something was lacking. "Hmm, what to do? What to do?."

 

She went upstairs and looked for something she could distract herself with. But it seemed being a homebody was not just her style. She propped her body on the edge of her bed and stared at the ceiling. "Does weekends supposed to be like this?"

 

How would she know? 

 

She was rarely home. 

 

She was either at the club partying and maybe drowning herself from different shots. She was an avid dancer then, it doesn't matter what kind of song, she will dance no matter what. Despite her cold facade, many people wanted to be with her, maybe they wanted to dance? Sinb doesn't care. All she wanted was to have the time of her life during weekends. We can't blame her. Her job was keeping her enjoy the youth she has.  

 

Well that was her life. That was her.

 

And maybe along the lines of party and night-outs did she met Eunseo. Sinb thought of her as only one of many people who frequented the club. And it just so happened that she was alone too on that particular night that they decided to chill and talk. It was a first for Sinb, having someone that could relate to her hellish life of a chief and soon they became more than just club buddies. And the rest they say is history.

 

But stories didn't always end in what they call a happily ever after. But Sinb wished how that one odd thing be in her favor. She knew Eunseo was the one. But then again, she didn't. 

 

Eunseo was like a wild fire, a hurricane and maybe, everything in between. She was never meant to be owned, and no one should own her. But Sinb wanted it to be. And once she had her, Sinb knew she was the one, only to be left deserted after the ravishing fire. 

 

What does she still want from her? Maybe she wants to tame her? Tell her that she was meant to be with her?

 

Sinb rolled over to her bed wanting to erase those thoughts she has been thinking. The thoughts are killing her. She was still not ready to let go yet.

 

Then as if the heavens took pity on her, they gave her something to distract herself with. And what could it be? A message it was. 

 

Got nothing to do. Are you still up? - myCRB

 

Wait. Why did she put 'my' there? Oh well, she won't know of this name. 

 

I thought I was supposed to go to bed at this hour? 

 

Oh right. I shouldn't be waking you up. - myCRB

 

No! I was just kidding! Do you want to talk? Actually I can't sleep.

 

Do you mind if I call you? I'm getting lazy typing messages. - myCRB

 

So you're really not that type to exchange messages huh? Okie.

 

Then her phone began ringing. It was a video call. "Hi Sinb!" 

 

Sinb unconsciously smiled in return when she saw a pair of eyesmiles greeting her. Wow

 

"To answer your message, I'm the videocall only type of girl. I prefer face to face," 

 

"Same here," Sinb agreed. "How's your farm?" 

 

Yerin, instead of answering, guided the camera for Sinb to see where she's at. 

 

"Where are you?"

 

"At the rooftop," Yerin answered as she focused the camera to herself. "I would say this is the perfect spot to chill." 

 

Sinb smiled when she knew Yerin was fine all by herself. Maybe not by herself, but with her sister. Wait, has she told Eunha yet? "So, guess you and your sister made up already?" 

 

Yerin pouted. "We talk but she still doesn't want to listen to me. Sowon told me to wait until Eunha's willing to listen. I'm just praying that it won't be too long." 

 

"Don't worry, she will listen to you eventually," Sinb tried to comfort the brunette. She remembered that Jessica still yet to know the truth. Oh jeepers creepers, how the hell would she say it? 

 

----

 

Yerin noticed how Sinb's face became unreadable. She knew the other was thinking something. "What are you thinking?" 

 

"N-nothing. Just some paperworks left to do. But I-I'm not ending the call okay?" 

 

Yerin chuckled though she doesn't buy it. But she decided that Sinb would open up to her once the latter feel like opening up. So she focused her stare at the full moon, with the phone's camera also focusing on the velvety black for Sinb to see. 

 

"You know this is the perfect time to think about things. The stars and the moon will be the only witnesses as you unravel the thoughts you have in your head," Yerin told her. "It makes you think of what happened yesterday, today and what could happen tomorrow. Maybe this is why people go to provinces to heal?" 

 

Yerin somehow wanted Sinb to open up to her but she knew Sinb won't. So one of them has got to open up first. And it seemed her introduction was getting into Sinb when the latter doesn't utter a word. Instead she heard a sigh. 

 

"What are you thinking right now, Yerin?" 

 

Yerin hummed in return. Maybe it was Sinb's way of opening up? Yerin doesn't know, but somehow she felt the weight of those words. It was like Sinb was searching for someone that she can relate with. Or someone that could relate to her. "You want to know?" 

 

"If it's okay with you," 

 

Yerin heaved a sigh before starting. "I'm currently thinking about how unexpected things came into my life lately. Like I wasn't born before and I'm only now beginning to see what my life has been."

 

Sinb hummed in return signalling Yerin to continue. She can't see the brunette because the camera was only focused on the full moon far away. She could only imagine what kind of face Yerin was making. 

 

"It's kind of silly really when I think of it," Yerin continued. "I should've been able to see what lies ahead of me right? But it seems the heavens has other plans. Something I don't have control over. Like my break-up with Joy."

 

Sinb heard the brunette let out something between a sob or a sigh. She doesn't know since she can't see Yerin's face. Was it alright for them to talk about it? Sinb thought, maybe Yerin wants to let it all out.

 

"Does it still hurt?" 

 

Does it? Yerin thought for a moment. "You know, she never failed to surprise me. She was always there, and it might sound cheesy to you, but we're like bees and its hive, the perfect partners. So leaving me out there inside the restaurant hurt a lot. She left me thinking about those five years that was flushed down like nothing ever happened. How could she? But then thinking back, I think it was better that way Sinb,"

 

"Why do you say that?" Sinb asked. "You love her, why would you even think that her leaving you is better?"

 

"Why Sinb?" Yerin returned a question. "Because we can't force someone to love us back when they don't anymore. We're only prolonging the pain it might cause us." 

 

Yerin didn't heard a reply but she knew Sinb was still on the line and so she continued. "Think of this thing like a butterfly alighting on a flower. When they're together, you can't help but to snap a picture right? Because the combination of the butterfly and the flower is the definition of beauty and being perfect. Also, it speaks of a rare encounter for the human eye. But when that butterfly flies away because it has fed itself from the flower, and maybe to search for another flower, does the flower try to stop the butterfly? Does the flower even wither after that?" 

 

"You're speaking in the florist language," Sinb commented. It was not like she doesn't understand. She just thought that she was not ready to listen for the next part. Because she knew. She knew what would it be. 

 

Yerin smiled on the other end. "I think the flower just grows more beautifully Sinb. It does not wither, because the butterfly has left something for the flower too. Was it the butterfly's loss that it fled to the other flower? Only the butterfly can tell, but as far as the flower's concerned, she never needs to run to other places, she would still be there, waiting for another butterfly to come by."

 

"So you have let go of that love you have for her then?" Sinb warily asked. If Yerin did moved on, can she do it? 

 

"I don't know. I would be lying if I say I'm not affected just by remembering that event in my life. I still am and maybe time could only tell when I could continue with my life not flinching everytime I hear her name." Yerin answered. "But I just realized, despite the pain, I think I should thank her too for letting me go."

 

"Why?"

 

"Because of her, those unexpected things came to me like storm. Imagine if she didn't broke up with me, I wouldn't be running down on that lonely bar and maybe I wouldn't met you. Thinking now, I don't know what kind of life do I still have if those things didn't happen to me." 

 

Sinb was silent. She just stared at the full moon the screen was giving her. Was Yerin thankful that they met? She was hoping she was. Then the screen got adjusted and she could now see Yerin's face. 

 

Yerin was smiling to her, even her eyes giving those crescents. Sinb suddenly felt warm. She could feel how Yerin was radiating that soft feeling of warmth. It was like assuring her that Yerin was indeed thankful and not regretting the one thing they made. The feeling made Sinb go red. 

 

"Joy just gave me an opportunity to see other things beyond her. I met you, I met Yuju, I met your mom. And most of all, I will be welcoming a baby! Now just how unexpected is that?" Yerin said, her eye smiles never leaving her face. 

 

But she knew too, that even if she really had moved on from Joy, it would be different for Sinb. Sinb never told her what she thought about her break-up with Eunseo. And that was what Yerin wants Sinb to open up to her. She wanted to at least be a friend when Sinb needs one. 

 

"Maybe you're still thinking about her. I would say go on, think about her. Think about what you still want from her Sinb. Don't try to bury it at the back of your mind. Face it, and maybe the answer is just right in front of you." 

 

----

 

"You're going to catch a cold out here," Sowon scolded Yerin while getting on the roof as well. "Can't sleep?"

 

"Nah," Yerin only replied. "Is Eunha okay?" 

 

"Depends on her mood actually," Sowon answered. "Missing your girlfriend?"

 

"We just called each other about an hour ago." Yerin remembered their talk and shook her head slightly. "We just talked about certain things."

 

Sowon just observed her friend's face. She could hint Yerin shed a tear or two because of the brunette's eyes. But it seemed Yerin was not sad, her face exhbiting melancholy in it. "Say Yerin," 

 

"Hmm?"

 

"If I told you to stop liking your girlfriend for the sake of your sister, would you do it?" Sowon asked carefully. She looked at Yerin and was slightly surprised to see the latter smirk. 

 

Yerin looked at her friend's eyes. "No. I won't."

 

"And why is that?" Sowon asked further. 

 

"I just learned this now unnie," Yerin started. "But she is another reason and more for me to love the life I have." 

 

"You're being cryptic," Eunha went to join. "Be more specific."

 

Yerin stiffened when she saw Eunha took a seat beside her. Will she say it now? Is it even the right time? She looked at Sowon and the giant nodded. 

 

"If you want me to accept Sinb as your girlfriend then try to explain things to me specifically," Eunha said. 

 

Yerin gathered all courage she has, "She's a friend Eunha. She comforted me when Joy left me..."

 

"And how about that 'she is another reason and more to love the life you have?" Eunha further inquired.

 

"Well, to summarize everything," Yerin paused. Oh my. This is so nerve wracking. "We will become mothers Eunha. Sinb's carrying the other reason why I'm starting to love the life I have."

 

"What?!" Was all the lovebirds could say that night. 

 

--oo0oo--

(17) Devil's Lair