(12) A Promise To Change

Unexpected

 

(11) A Promise to Change

 

"Yerin!" Sinb tried to pursue the brunette. Yerin was at the door already and she was not minding that she was leaving her company behind. "Yerin wait, please!"

 

How could Sinb's mother do that to her? But then, maybe that monster mom was right after all, she thought. Jessica told her how plain she was. Joy left her because she was boring. It seemed people around her knew that she was one. Why hadn't she noticed it before? 

 

And there was another thing clouding her mind at the same moment. If they knew how plain and boring she was, does Sinb already know it too? Was that the reason why she was trying to teach her how Jessica could accept her? 

 

Yerin was hurt. It felt like a pity play for her and she could not do a thing about it because she had no other choice. If only she did not accept Sinb's situation, she wouldn't end up squaring Jessica face to face. 

 

If only...

 

If only nothing came about on that one night stand. 

 

Sinb managed to grab Yerin by the hand and turned the brunette to face her. She was surprised to see Yerin with an unreadable expression. Sinb was wondering what was running inside the brunette's mind. She does not know, but how she wished she knew. 

 

"I-I'm sorry. I'm sorry for what my mom did to you. You don't deserve it Yerin. I-I'm sorry, so sorry that you have to--"

 

"Hush," Yerin softly said to Sinb. Even if she was regretting that night, seeing Sinb with a red face, tears slowly running down her cheeks, and was a stuttering mess, Yerin was reminded that Sinb took most of what happened to them. If any, her suffering was less than what Sinb was going through. "Stop saying sorry already." 

 

Sinb felt guilty. She knew Yerin would be hurt but she still pushed the idea of them being girlfriends in front of her mother. And yet, she didn't even cared to know how Yerin might be feeling about this. How could she?

 

Sinb then felt soft hands caressing her cheeks and when she opened her eyes, she saw Yerin smiling at her. How could she even managed to smile like that? How can she be so kind despite all things? 

 

Yerin gently wiped Sinb's tears away. "You did nothing wrong Sinb, You were just thinking of a way on how we could say your situation to your mom. Please stop saying sorry."

 

Sinb kept shaking her head like she does not want to accept Yerin's forgiving nature. It makes her feel more guilty. She wants to blame someone else, but there was only one to blame here, and Sinb thought it was herself. "I-I'm going to sue her one day!"

 

Yerin chuckled at what she heard. It was her first time to see Sinb being childish. "I told you, stop it. She just..."

 

"I-I won't accept it!" Sinb said as she started to cry again. Why can't she stop crying? She closed her eyes as if doing so would stop her tears from falling.

 

Just then something moist and soft touched her lips. And Sinb did not dare to open her eyes when she felt that. It was sudden, but it made Sinb not to forget about that simple gesture. 

 

It was brief but Sinb felt everything at that moment. She felt how Yerin cared. How afraid she was. And how hurt she was maybe. 

 

She felt how Yerin's lips gently touched hers. How her lips quivered when their lips met. And how Yerin seemed hesitant to kiss her like that. 

 

It was too real, Sinb thought. How could she forget about that? No one kissed her like that. The kiss was not fireworks itself. It was short. It was simple. It was Sinb's first. 

 

Yerin pulled herself and looked warily at Sinb. She does not know what kind of expression would Sinb wear on her face after that but it felt like she needs to do it. She does not know how to comfort Sinb anymore when the latter started to cry. Then she remembered how her mother would kiss them when she and Eunha would not stop whining or simply hurt. 

 

And when she saw Sinb in front of her, maybe blaming herself, she felt the urge to do it.

 

"Stop crying now," Yerin whispered to Sinb as the latter hugged her tight. You know, monster mom just...doesn't like me. "Let's just go home."

 

----

 

"Let's talk Jess," Tiffany called to her wife seriously. They were now driving back to their house after what Jessica did at the restaurant. "I don't know why are you like that to all Sinb's girlfriends. Why do you always go on the wrong side of the boat?"

 

"Because they don't suit her Tiff," Jessica simply answered. "I know our daughter. I know what she likes."

 

"But she liked that woman," Tiffany reminded her wife. "You told me how serious she was about her right? And to tell you, I find that girl different. She was by far the most different to all that Sinb dated. I could already tell on the first look."

 

"You don't need to tell me how different that girl is," Jessica reiterated. "I know she's different." 

 

It was a red light and Tiffany stopped the car. She looked at her wife. What does she mean that she knew that that girl was different? Then why does she even lashed out on the poor girl? 

 

"Then why did you even do that?" Tiffany asked, more like begged for Jessica to spill the beans already.

 

"Because that girl doesn't deserve our daughter Tiff," Jessica answered. "I want her to back out as early as she can."

 

"What? Why would you even do that?" 

 

Jessica looked at Tiffany seriously. "Tiff, that girl was not her at the restaurant. Trust me, if we want to see how different that girl can be, there are only two things to do."

 

"And what are those?"

 

"The first one is to persuade her to stop pursuing Sinb. And the second one, was up to her. I'll help her become a woman for who she really is. Someone Sinb will take very seriously." 

 

 

----

 

 

"You know, my friend considers herself as the top of the crop," Yuju snickered to Umji. Since Sinb and Yerin went off to meet the director, Yuju decided to pay a visit at the flowershop. And since it's a friday, a little drink won't hurt right? "But she's really a freaking idiot!"

 

"And why is that?" Umji asked while making sure Yuju doesn not fall off the stool. 

 

"Because she's dumb about even loving that cheating Eunseo! I don't even know what she sees in her." Yuju complained. They were chugging down four hard liquors and it was evident that Yuju was far too drunk to care what she's babbling about.

 

Umji noticed how Yuju cares for her bestfriend which put the latter in a smile. So they were treading in the same water, she thought. Umji was also that bestfriend to her good-natured, childish unnie. 

 

"But you know what?" Yuju said as she looked at Umji. "I didn't know she would hit the bottom pit of being an idiot when she decided to make Yerin her fake girlfriend."

 

Umji raised a brow. "What do you mean?" 

 

Yuju scrunched her face in annoyance because Umji does not understand. But it was Umji, and for Yuju, she could not be annoyed at her. "Look, why make Yerin a fake girlfriend when they could be as real as a freaking couple?! They will have a baby soon! Tell me how will they raise the child?"

 

"Well for some reality check, there are some single parents out there," Umji informed the drunk Yuju. "But sure, being a whole family is the best." 

 

Then while still discussing about the tragic fate of their bestfriends, Yuju suddenly had a lightbulb idea. "Hey! Why don't we help the two get close and then maybe they could scratch this fake relationship they set themselves up?" 

 

"I don't think so Yuju," Umji said. "I think the best way to let them fall is to just let them, don't you think?"

 

"We're not going to force them," Yuju answered back after chugging down another bottle for herself. "We would just merely lay out situations where they could be together. If they don't fall for each other then maybe their chemistry as good mothers will." 

 

Umji thought for a second. Yuju got a point in there. "Hey, I think you're right on that one Yuju. And I think I know a perfect set-up for the two." 

 

----

 

The older decided to hail a cab instead of going to Sinb's car. She deemed it necessary since Sinb could not stop crying and she was not a driver herself. Sinb didn't mind the commute, maybe because of the overwhelming feeling of defeat she has. 

 

It was a quiet ride. Yerin refused to talk with Sinb, partly because she doesn't know how to comfort the crying woman, and mainly because she also has her own thoughts regarding what happened. Sinb, on the other hand, could not be more grateful for the silence since she also has some conflicting thoughts of her own. 

 

Sinb was too immersed in her own thoughts she hadn't noticed that Yerin was instructing the cab driver to take a different route. 

 

And when the cab driver put into a discreet halt, did Sinb only noticed that Yerin didn't take her back to her house. 

 

"Where are we?" Sinb asked but Yerin didn't answered her. Instead, Yerin paid the driver and motioned for Sinb to get out of the car. 

 

When Sinb got out, she realised that they were out of the busy city and were actually facing an ice cream shop situated on the hill side. She took a minute to gawk at the sight she was seeing. Golden lights are lighting the vast sea of velvety black underneath where they were located. And up above were stars like strobe lights dancing with the wind.

 

But wait, didn't Yerin told her that they will go home? What are they doing in this place?

 

"Let's grab some ice cream?" Yerin offered her along with the smile Sinb could never get tired of. "They say sweet things always make things better." 

 

Sinb didn't budge though. She just remained in her position. It was not like she does not want to eat ice cream but because of something else.

 

It was because of Yerin. She knew that Yerin was hurt but still, the brunette was making every effort to make her smile. Sinb was puzzled about this Yerin being selfless and gentle to her. 

 

"Uhm, we could just sit here outside and enjoy the view if you don't want," Yerin suddenly backtracked. I messed up again. "I should've asked you before hand if you like sweet things."

 

Guess I only thought about myself wanting to eat ice cream right now.

 

Sinb noticed the hesitation from Yerin and she knew that it was the effect of her mother's words to the brunette. And she does not want that. She abruptly took hold of Yerin's hand in hers and they went inside the ice cream shop. 

 

Okay, I think, everytime she'll hold my hand like this I would really like you author to stop for a minute. Can I atleast savor this moment with her? I don't know but being held up by Aphrodite's daughter seemed like a privilege? Gosh, I think I forgot I have a problem here. Can you author? Can you please?

 

Sinb was busily looking at the menu displayed at the counter while Yerin, well she was still stuck at the hand-holding moment. How could she? Sinb was still holding her hand. 

 

"I would like one scoop of rocky road, one scoop of strawberry, and one scoop of double dutch please," Sinb ordered without waiting for Yerin's order. "The scoops should be in separate cups, alright. Oh! and one banana split too. Thanks!" 

 

"T-that many?" Yerin asked warily. "Would you mind sharing some with me then?"

 

Sinb eyed at the dumbfounded Yerin and smirked. "Nope. I ordered what I want, of course it's all mine. And I take it that since you brought me here, you'll treat me right?"

 

Okay author, you can erase the fact that I want to hold hands with her. Because right now, I think I want to go back and hail a cab. 

 

She'll be the death of my wallet.

 

----

 

Because Yerin was a thrifty person, a trait most businesswomen have, she only ordered a mango-flavored ice cream for herself. Truth be told, she wanted a banana split too but since Sinb's order went maximum for what her daily expenses should be, she just ordered a plain looking mango-flavored ice cream. 

 

She doesn't mind though, because she saw for the first time that Sinb's smile. So the pink-haired girl was capable of smiling huh? All she know was that infamous playful smirk Sinb always give and that loud laugh of hers she only seen once.

 

"How can I know if you're truly enjoying this?" Yerin asked to herself, but girl did she spoke out loud. 

 

Sinb heard her and turned her focus on Yerin who was looking at her too. Was she looking at her for long? "Are you even serious about that question just now?"

 

"Huh?" Yerin asked. Oh shoot. "D-did I spoke too loud?" 

 

Sinb laughed at Yerin. She does not even realise she was saying her thought out loud? My, she was really a cute reckless being. "Well, what do you think?"

 

Yerin's cheeks became red from embarrassment. Why does she always screw up when she's with her? Can she be normal for once? "Uhm,"

 

"Are you even thinking that I'm faking it out of courtesy?" Sinb asked bluntly. She knew, with Yerin being too good-natured, would never say it in front of her. So she decided to bring it up herself. 

 

Yerin bowed her head. "Well, I screwed making kimchi for you one time and I don't have the slightest idea that you don't even eat it." 

 

Sinb finished her third cup of ice cream before looking back at Yerin. "I may not eat it but your cooking made me eat two spoonfuls. I think, if it were other people making me that kind of dish, I won't eat it. But you made that kimchi tolerable for me to eat, so I guess I became a little bit more Korean because of you." 

 

Yerin blushed at the compliment. Wow, did she just get a praise from Aphrodite's daughter? 

 

"And Yerin," Sinb said to get the blushing woman's attention. "I like ice cream. You think I would get this many if I don't like it?" 

 

"I honestly think that you did that because it's my treat," Yerin answered innocently. Sinb laughed at her again. What? What's wrong this time?

 

Sinb wiped the tears as she tried to regain her composure. "Well, that's one thing but I really like ice cream. It's my guilty pleasure."

 

"So I guess, I made you feel a little bit better?" Yerin asked. 

 

"Why little? Yerin, you just ended my day with a happy note. And that alone is something I'm very grateful for you." Sinb said sincerely.

 

----

 

Sinb was squirming, trying to find that spot so she could sleep already. But jeepers, she just can't. How could she? 

 

Yerin tried to lift her mood up and she admits that Yerin did so without even showing too much effort. Yerin does not need to take her to some ice cream shop overlooking the cityscape just to make her smile. How would she put it? Yerin lifted her mood up with that kiss though she can't stop crying because... actually she doesn't know. Maybe because of the hormones being pregnant? 

 

 

But going back, she didn't do anything for the brunette.

 

How could she repay the kindness and attention Yerin gave her?

 

She grabbed her phone and texted something to Yerin and after that, she smiled and went under covers to sleep. 

 

----

 

 

Yerin could not sleep that night. It was not because of the incident. She forgot entirely about that Jessica mayhem that happened about five hours ago. She couldn't sleep because of what Sinb messaged her. 

 

What she felt was entirely different. It was something warm. Something that put out the dread, pity, and confusion she has  accumulated throughout the day. And there was a voice that tells her to do the same. 

 

"I just realised something. What my mom said to you, they were all true. I'm really a picky person. But you know what? Though I might've hated doing those things, I didn't do it because I was obligated to. I think most of it was because I like to try doing it. I like to try eating that kimchi, I like to try going to the mall, I like to give a chance in commuting. I think I really want to change something within me that's why I'm trying to do things out of what I've been accustomed to.

 

"And I think it all happened not because I got myself heartbroken but instead, I got a new reason for doing that change. I think Yerin, I'm walking towards being a good mother little by little? I hope I am. 

 

"This is such a long message. Well, all I want to say is, I'm sorry for what my mom did to you and maybe explain my side on this. Also, thank you for lifting up my mood earlier though I didn't do much in comforting you. 

 

"So goodnight Yerin! The baby wants to say goodnight to you too :)" 

 

Yerin continued to smile while looking at the ceiling. Sinb was right. There was a reason they were doing these things. She should not let Sinb and the baby down. 

 

She closed her eyes as she felt Sandman's making his magic. But before she drifts off to where her dreams are, she promised to change too. She promised to take that first step like what Sinb did. And maybe little by little, she could match the pace Sinb was making. 

 

-oo0oo-

(13) A Drive For License