(26) Friends to the Rescue

Unexpected

 

(26) Friends to the Rescue

 
"Will you stop sulking now?" Sowon complained at Yerin. Sowon was irritated at the sudden call she received. Well, who would be? She was in the middle of her photo shoot! She got an earful from her manager after that but Sowon just let those words of sermon pass through her ears. 
 
 
Yerin needs her. 
 
 
And that strained voice and sobs she heard on the other line made Sowon worried. Yerin was like a little sister to her. And just like Eunha, she vowed to take care of the sensitive duck. 
 
 
"C'mon, I did't bring you here to sulk," Sowon said as she led the still crying Yerin towards the bump cars. Sowon paid for the cars and dragged the unwilling Yerin behind.
 
 
"To a kid's park? Yeah, right." Yerin deadpanned. She was having a hard time containing her feelings and there they were inside the amusement park. Just what was running through Sowon's mind?! She needs someone who will listen, no scratch that she needs someone to lend a shoulder. 
 
 
Not ride to some kid's car for Pete's sake!
 
 
"You'll love it here duckie," Sowon teased as she buckled herself in one of the bump cars. Yerin followed suit though still unwilling. But it was free, Yerin thought, while cleaning her face free from her tears. Free things should be maximized to the fullest! 
 
 
In the end, both were catching their breaths and laughing. Sowon made Yerin laugh which was a relief for the tall one. The brunette did not stop crying since she met her that day. It was really a relief then. 
 
 
"Thank goodness I was able to make you stop looking so miserable," Sowon fanned herself. They were eating at a local food store inside the amusement park. "I was ready to call Eunha about you whining over that brat." 
 
 
"Yah! Don't ever tell Eunha. I don't want her to get worried," Yerin reminded as she readied her chopsticks. "And no, I'm not whining!" 
 
 
Sowon rolled her eyes. She was used to Yerin denying when she has a crush. "Whatever, you can't change my mind." 
 
 
"But I'm really not," Yerin pouted. She somehow forgotten how broken she was awhile ago. Thanks to Sowon for lifting her spirits up though pain was still there. "I don--" 
 
"You're jealous," Sowon cut her off. "It's oh so obvious, you duck." 
 
Yerin blushed. Was she really? Was that the reason behind all those chest clenching and stomach churning?  
 
Yerin was silent. She suddenly got no appetite. Words of Sowon just stucked with her head and has been repeating like a broken record. 
 
Sowon just observed her friend and smirked. "Oh my. Don't tell me you don't know what it feels like to be jealous?!" 
 
Yerin stared back innocently at the make-out machine. "Uhm, yeah? Well I didn't felt this way when I'm with my past relatonships before. And why would I be jealous over Sinb's ex? I don't get it." 
 
To say Sowon was dumfounded was very lowkey. Her jaw dropped the moment Yerin told her that the latter does not get the concept of being jealous over someone else's past. Holy canoodles! Was what she heard really true?! 
 
"You're weird Yerin," Sowon finally found her voice back. "Of course getting jealous over Sinb's ex is normal! And you have every right since you're practically Sinb's current girlfriend! Oh my, just where are your braincells in this?!"
 
Yerin quirked an eyebrow. "Are you calling me dumb about this?" Sowon just rolled her eyes at that and Yerin slapped the taller one's shoulder.
 
To tell the truth, Yerin knows the word but she have not felt it yet. Because Joy blurted that she has another on the same day she broke up with her. So Yerin have not had the chance to introduce herself to that disgusting feeling. And that was why she was at a loss on how she would describe it since she started feeling it with Sinb.  
 
And those words kept Yerin's boat shaking. It was normal for Sowon to say that she and Sinb were in some 'normal' relationship. She does not know the truth about how was this arranged just to tell Sinb's condition to everyone. It was all for the sake of both parties to accept the pregnancy situation. 
 
Just then, Sowon tapped Yerin's shoulder and the latter snapped out from her thoughts. "Just as I predicted. Yours were not real right?" 
 
"Wh-what?" Yerin said surprised. What does she meant by that? Surely, Sowon did not noticed that, right? Right?!
 
"Your relationship with Ms. Hwang Sinb. It's all for show right?" Sowon cleared her statement. "Because though you get attracted a lot, you would never jump that fast to a relationship after a what? A week from your break-up?" 
 
"H-how do you know?" Yerin inquired. She never thought that Sowon was also part of the eagle-eyed team that was Eunha and Umji. Damn...so they were really obvious? Does Eunha know about this too?
 
"It does not take a single look to not know that you weren't," Sowon flatly said. "One of the reasons was what I told you before. Second, and please don't get offended by this, but you and Sinb are polar opposites. Both of your personalities just screams of extremes. You are loyal, the other a player. You are too good-natured and the other a brat. What else? Ah! Third, you're not Sinb's type." 
 
Ouch!
 
So much for this giraffe to slap her with those reasons! 
 
"Out of all that you said, the third one's pissed me off," Yerin remarked. Now she really lost all her appetite. 
 
"Oh why thank you!" Sowon sarcastically answered back. "And please Yerin, I'm your personal guidance counselor right? I'm just doing my job." 
 
"Yeah right." Yerin said with so must distaste. How could she not know that this unnie of hers know it from the start? She was really dumb about thinking her relationship was believable. But now that Sowon mentioned it, she wanted to know something. "Does Eunha know about this?" 
 
Sowon finished her carbonated drink. "Thought you wouldn't ask. Don't worry she doesn't know about this. She truly believes you're Sinb's 'real' girlfriend." 
 
Yerin heaved a sigh of relief. Thank goodness if it were true. She was sure that Eunha would really be mad at her for lying and would likely get them separated. 
 
"But you can't hide that truth forever Yerin," Sowon seriously said. "Sooner or later  you need to tell Eunha that you made a mistake on that very night and you're just taking on responsibility." 
 
"But I don't want to," Yerin muttered as she stared at her samgyeopsal. "You know the reasons Sowon. I told you already."
 
Sowon was reminded of that time she asked Yerin if the latter would drop the relationship for Eunha. That was also the time Sowon noticed that Yerin may have been having feelings towards the brat. Because never did Yerin said those words for a passing attraction only. 
 
"So that justifies the whole jealousy thing," Sowon finished the discussion. "You're jealous and maybe feeling threatened now that Sinb's ex is back, because you know that your relationship's for a show only and you know the gravity of emotions Sinb still has for her ex. And lastly, you are afraid that if they really had come back together, Sinb may find a reason to let you go of having to take responsibility over the baby."
 
Yerin just stared at the uneaten meat. Sowon was really good at piecing things and clarifying ones that she have trouble knowing off. And to think that she has not yet told the tall one her version of the story. God...if only Sowon was not a walking make-out machine, she thought Sowon would garner a lot of respect from her. 
 
"Did I hit the jackpot there?" Sowon asked amused that Yerin was silent. "If so, then you girls at the back come here. Now you know the story." 
 
Wait. What? 
 
Yerin turned around to see Umji and Yuju seated behind them. Just what are those two doing? "S-since when are the two of you here?" 
 
Umji took a seat beside her partner and tasted the samgyeopsal Yerin has been staring for quite a while. "Uhm, since the both of you entered?" 
 
"How did you know that we were here?" Yerin further inquired. Then it hit her. She looked at Sowon for an answer and all she got was Sowon looking everywhere but not her. "Don't tell me you called them?" 
 
"I didn't call them. They're the ones worried over you and called me. Tsk, they know who you're going to ask for help and bugged me to let them hear your side of the story." Sowon explained.
 
 Yerin was baffled. Well, more than baffled to be exact. 
 
"I'm sorry partner for eavesdropping but I just can't sit at the shop knowing that something happened to you." Umji told her. "How I wish you could confide to me all these troubles you have." 
 
Yerin felt sorry that Umji has been worrying about her. She has been selfish to her partner. "I'm sorry too." 
 
Then Yuju interrupted the duo's drama. She has been itching to know what exactly does Yerin feel towards her friend. How will she help if she does not know the real deal here? 
 
"Did I heard it right Yerin?" Yuju asked. "Your jealous over Sinb and Eunseo's relationship? Because if that was true then you do have feelings for my chief." 
 
Everyone was silent and was looking intently at the brunette. Yerin suddenly became tensed at the attention she was getting. She was not used being interrogated about her feelings, maybe that's why she never told anyone what she's been feeling toward Sinb? Hmmm..
 
"C'mon, are you crushing over her?" Yuju pressed. She was dying for this moment. 
 
"I don't." Yerin answered.
 
"Eyy!!!" The trio chorused. They could not believe she would still deny it after all what Sowon said to her. 
 
"Just admit it you dumbwit," Sowon sneered. "After all those explanations I gave you, you still have the guts to deny it?!"
 
"Please partner, free yourself from what you've been truly feeling." Umji seconded to which Yuju nod in agreement. 
 
Yerin sighed. She was not trying to deny it. She never discloses what she feel towards Sinb to them, basically because of this moment. But she never hid what she has been feeling towards Aphrodite's daughter. They are just asking the wrong questions. "What should I free myself from? I'm not hiding anything." 
 
"Then why not admit that maybe you have a tiny bit of a crush towards her?" Sowon asked, intrigued. 
 
"Because I'm not crushing over her," Yerin told them. "I never started crushing on her because I just found and realize my feelings in the middle of knowing who Sinb is. And I've never been sure about it until recently." 
 
The trio just listened to her. They were trying to digest what Yerin told them. Umji cleared and asked, "And what did you find?" 
 
Yerin gulped. "That's...that's what I was about to tell her the day Eunseo came back. But it seemed that it doesn't matter now."
 
----
 
"I never thought your friend is her own definition of an idiot too," Yuju flatly told Umji. They were now walking towards Umji's gallery after that stint they had at the amusement park. "And much worse a coward to tell you frankly." 
 
"You know, if I only don't agree with you, I would really like to smack your face for insulting my partner." Umji commented. "But yeah, your friend too on that matter. Both are horrendously oblivious." 
 
"I know right?!" Yuju totally agreed. "They're totally helpless on this matter. You know, if this still continues, I doubt they're going to end up together." 
 
"You're still into that matchmaking thing?!" Umji said in surprise. She thought Yuju dropped the idea already. Guess not. 
 
Yuju looked ay Umji with sparkling eyes like it would be the best idea for the current situation. "They're totally into each other! Don't you think it's such a waste if we still let those two realize among themselves that they've been having the same feelings towards each other?" 
 
Umji was silent. She was considering it though she was still against the idea. It would be rude prying over something that they are not welcomed to. But if they don't, no one between Yerin and Sinb would open up to one another. And everything seemed to be bleak, now that Eunseo was back again. 
 
"C'mon, we need to help those two. Please?" Yuju pleaded. 
 
Umji looked at Yuju with those puppy eyes. Oh no. Not the puppy eyes! "Ugh, okay! Just for the sake of those two, fine, we'll do it."
 
Umji swore she needs to educate herself on courses not to give in to Yupup's eyes. She admits being weak-willed when she does that. 
 
"Uwahh! I know you'll agree!" Yuju exclaimed and kissed Umji by the cheek. 
 
Okay, so I take back getting courses. Getting kissed by surprise sure was amazing. 
 
----
 
"Why is unnie there? Something happened, tell me." Eunha demanded. Sowon called her saying that Yerin would stay the night at her unit. And Eunha quickly picked up that something happened. 
 
"Sowon tell me. If Sinb did something to unnie, I swear I--" 
 
"Chill cupcake," Sowon stopped Eunha from further babbling. "They didn't okay? Yerin just want to hang out with me since she's practically stoked taking care of a pregnant woman. Girls need to relax too, you know." 
 
"Oh. Why didn't you say earlier?" Eunha said. "Wait for me then, I'll accompany both of you!" 
 
"Yeah sure," Sowon told the other line while mouthing if it was okay for Yerin to let Eunha come. Yerin only nodded then continued to munch her favorite stress snack, her ultimate pringles. "There's still a lot of space in bed." 
 
Eunha does not like the sound of it. "Yerin's in your bed?!"
 
"Just kidding!" Sowon fastly taken back her statement. "Yerin's going to sleep on the floor tonight!" 
 
"Ahhh..just make sure Sowon, because I don't want unnie to be part of a nasty you have in mind." Eunha gravely threatened. 
 
Sowon gulped. "O-of course not! Who would've thought about that?" 
 
----
 
Yerin kept staring at her phone. She was outside Sowon's house and decided to jog for a bit. She did not bother to wake up the couple from their loving slumber since they need the much inviting sleep in their system. They should be, Yerin thought, the couple had been going at it for half of the night. 
 
God, she really does not understand why Eunha loves Sowon so much. Sowon was such a erted tease. Does her little sister really liked those type of girls? 
 
Enough thinking of the couple. So as I said, Yerin kept on staring at her phone. She was surprised and at the same time worried at how many missed calls and voice mails she received from Aphrodite's daughter. Why would Sinb do it anyways? she argued with her self. 
 
She tried opening and listening to the voice mails but all she heard was nothing. All she heard were some sighs here and there and probably a sob to which Yerin was not sure. Yerin was about to open and close another one since she was expecting to hear nothing again. 
 
But oh girl was she wrong.
 
She clearly heard Sinb stifling a sob and was having a poor job of talking on voice mail. Aphrodite's daughter was crying? Yerin still argued with her self that it might be Sinb craving for something again. 
 
But she was taken aback by the next words.
 
"Y-Yerin? I-I know I've been flooding you with calls and voice mails right now but... c-can I atleast know where you are? I-I'm worried you're not going home tonight. I'm still waiting for you t-to come home. Y-you will come home tonight right? Uhm... I honestly don't k-know what's happening to you b-but if it's something that I've done... I'm so sorry..." 
 
Yerin stopped for a moment and looked at which time did Sinb made the particular voice mail. 1:54 a.m. it read. So Sinb was still awake and waiting for her at that hour?! 
 
Yerin felt guilty to make Sinb worried about her whereabouts. She should atleast told Sinb to stop waiting for her. Just what kind of a person was she? She should be taking care of Sinb.
 
Wait, it was Eunseo's job now right? 
 
Yerin opened the last voice mail.
 
"It's been two hours since I last sent a voice mail. I guess you're not coming h-home? I-I can't force you if you d-don't want to right? Uhh... but y-you might think it's stubborn of me if I-I wish you could still m-make it home? Please... please Yerin, come home. T-the house's not the same without y-you... I-It's lonely here... alone... The baby needs you... at least for the b-baby if not f-for me... Just, just come back please..."
 
Sinb's voice was strained and Yerin could not help but to be washed by guilt and worry. She felt how lonely Sinb was at that moment and how hard must it be to wait for someone that did not went home that night. But then again, Yerin felt conflicted. 
 
Why still look for her when there was Eunseo back in her life?
 
"I really think you should go home now." 
 
Yerin was suprised to hear a familiar voice. She turned around to see Joy smiling back at her. Of all streets she could walk and meet her...
 
"That's Sinb right? Sorry, I just happen to pass by here and saw you. I was about to greet you but then you were listening to some voicemail so I kept quiet. Sorry to hear about it." Joy apologized. 
 
Yerin shook her head to say no. "It's okay." She was to add more but decided not to say any to Joy. She already talked to her didn't she? 
 
"I don't know what happened but I think she really needs you." Joy told her as she was about to jog her way around the block too. But before she do so, "You go to her, Yerin. Because the voicemail you just got, is your home calling you." 
 
----
 
Sinb squirmed in her sleep. She was uncomfortable sleeping in a bed where she was used having Yerin beside her. So to make herself lull to sleep and to make-believe that she has someone beside her, she placed all Yerin's pillow beside her, hugging and cuddling it. 
 
She also had her tears dried itself on Sinb face, indicating that the latter was crying. She looked helpless while asleep and kept on murmuring. 
 
Eunseo was inside the room, standing in one corner, observing Sinb sleeping. It was her first time to observe a sleeping Sinb. Why haven't she noticed it before? 
 
Sinb was beautiful while asleep. Though there were dried up tears making trails on her face, Eunseo swore Sinb still looked beautiful. She then suddenly felt a knot in her stomach. 
 
She does not know why but she was sure those tears meant a lot for Sinb. It was rare for Sinb to cry, she thought. And she was guessing that it might not be the hormonal imbalance at play here. 
 
And how she was right. 
 
Eunseo went beside Sinb to brush away those strands of hair on the latter. She was meaning to stay a little bit more since there was still no presence of the brunette. But it seemed Sinb unconsciously does not want her presence when she murmured someone's name to stay instead of hers.
 
"Yerin." 
 
Eunseo smirked a bitter one as she tried to get up. "Why didn't you say that on the first question I asked you? That should clear things by now." 
 
She looked one more time at Sinb before opening the door. "I'll still take chances Sinb. And I'm making sure that at the end of this race, it's my name you'll be calling." 
 
----
 
Sinb woke up when she felt something caressing her womb. It felt ticklish and at the same time, she felt secured. Did Yerin came home? 
 
Oh, she does not want to sound expecting since Yerin didn't even replied to her messages. But who else would do that to her? 
 
And so her eyes fluttered open, and she saw not Yerin's yellow pillow but her cute reckless being snuggled closely to her, her breath hitting her face. Sinb could not believe her eyes in what she was seeing. Was she still in dreamland? 
 
To make things sure, Sinb propped herself to look closely, eyes squinting and her right hand wanting to touch the sleeping Yerin. When did Yerin came home? Where did she even stay last night when she was awake and waiting? Was she still angry at her? There were so many questions playing in her head. 
 
Sinb was about to poke Yerin's cheek to make sure she was not hallucinating when Yerin's eyes fluttered open. Sinb just stared back at the tired orbs of the brunette. Did she even get enough sleep last night? 
 
Then Yerin smiled that bright smile to her and Sinb swore the sun came home with Yerin too. It has been days since she was deprived of Yerin's attention, and seeing that smile just made Sinb's day.
 
She was just hoping that Yerin would not retract again. 
 
"Get back to sleep," Yerin whispered like someone might hear them. "You and the baby pulled an all-nighter. Both of you must be tired." 
 
Sinb just stared back and Yerin poked her nose as she closed her eyes. "I didn't get enough sleep too, so let's sleep together?" 
 
"Since when did you came back?" Sinb's voice faltered. She was so close to crying again but she held it in. 
 
Yerin opened her eyes and locked hers to Sinb. She was really sleepy but still, Aphrodite's daughter was making her stare back. Shoot... Sinb really does look like a goddess. 
 
Yerin hugged her and Sinb just let her be. Sinb was not expecting an answer as she sensed that Yerin's body relaxed as she enveloped her left arm around her. All Sinb could sense was how her heart was beating erratically again. 
 
The feeling came back, she thought. But Sinb would not complain. Because while hers was beating twice its normal speed, she felt it warmly special, a feeling she would like to experience again and again. 
 
Soon, Sinb was falling into the hands of Sandman but before she went to sleep, she heard Yerin's voice, "You ask the wrong question, Sinb. You're both what makes me home." 
 
Sinb smiled upon the words. Both spent the day sleeping together leaving their respective works behind them. Who needs to work today anyways? Not them. 
 
Definitely not them.
 
-oo0oo-
(27) (---)
 
-oo0oo-
Hello sweetpeas! Just saying that I might (MIGHT) not update for the next three days or so because I'm on work travel. 
 
So I'll leave you guys with this chapter to suffice the sinrin drought we're having. Happy reading! :)