(19) The World Against Me

Unexpected

(19) The World Against Me

 

Yerin ran to the elevator and smashed the buttons hoping the elevator doors would open immediately. "C'mon, faster," She chanted. She was watching the sign that indicates the floor and cursed under breath when the elevator stopped on the 5th floor. "Just when you're in a hurry!" She blurted out of frustration. 

 

She gave up waiting for the elevator to open and rushed to the emergency exit. She was on the 11th floor of the building and the parking lot was situated on the basement floor. Going down the stairs would take her probably minutes, but she decided to do it anyway. Waiting for the elevator with different stops would take quite some time. 

 

She huffed while running down the staircase, her breath matching the pace her heart was creating. It felt like she was running a marathon, only that there were other things clouding her hammering heart. Every floor she ran down, felt like she was still far to the basement parking lot, and it gave more reason for her anxiety to grow. She doesn't know why she was feeling vexed over something that she still has yet to know whether if it was only a product of her wild imagination. But the more she questioned herself while running down, the more she felt worried about Sinb. 

 

Something must have happened, she thought. 

 

After what seemed like an eternity running through the staircase, she managed to head out of the basement parking. "Sinb's car must be here," She said while panting. She continued running and inspecting the place looking for a particular red car that was owned by Aphrodite's daughter. But she couldn't see any red car. 

 

'Where are you?" Yerin said frantically. Her anxiety level was at its highest by now and she was becoming more restless. She ran to the other side of the basement parking and sighed a relief when she saw Sinb's car parked. 

 

But that was short lived, when three or so meters away from the car, was Sinb lying on the ground.

 

"Sinb?" Yerin voice quivered. No that can't be, she checked Sinb just hours ago and the latter said she was fine. What happened?

 

Yerin ran all the way to the lying Sinb and held her in her arms. "Sinb wake up!" She pleaded. Then she touched something sticky and wet in Sinb's beige pants. It was red and it horrified Yerin.

 

"No," Yerin said. "No, no, no, no." She placed Sinb on the ground again and frantically looked for the latter's car keys. "I'm still not a good driver. ." 

 

When she found the car keys, thank goodness, a security came into view to check on her and Sinb. "What happened here Ma'am?" 

 

"Here," Yerin gave the keys and went back to Sinb, "drive to the nearest hospital now!" 

 

----

 

10:19 p.m.

 

The red car was speeding up along the highway even beating the blaring red lights along the way. The security was conscious they were breaking some laws but she can't afford to get yelled at by a frantic Yerin with the her boss' life against the latter's arms. It would only take minutes before the highway patrol could catch up to them, she thought.

 

"What's the nearest hospital?" Yerin frantically asked the security while trying to wake Sinb up. "Why are you even so slow?! C'mon, get faster!"

 

Yerin tried to call Yuju several times but the latter won't pick up, so instead of calling the redhead, she called Umji. She told Umji what happened and told her meet them at the hospital the security was planning to get them to. After that, she made a call to Eunha that she will be home late and that she was running an emergency. Eunha insisted that she tell her the details, and she gave the address of the hospital. 

 

She looked again at Sinb who was now pale and lifeless in her arms. Tears are b to fall down her cheeks as she tried to wake Sinb up. "Open your eyes Sinb, please," her voice faltering with each words that came from . "Wake up for me please. Don't die on me just yet."

 

Die. 

 

That's one word she promised never to say after experiencing it once. She hated that word and the idea that comes along with it. She hated having to be left behind again. Not when she promised herself to take care her newly found life with them. Yerin kept on repeating the same words 'don't die' and 'wake up,' begging the heavens to at least look down upon her and listen to her damned requests. 

 

And maybe the Gods took pity on her on that particular moment. Sinb's eyes fluttered open though in a pained way but it was enough for Yerin to be reminded that Sinb didn't left her just yet. Her tears welled up and started to flow down her cheeks and maybe some landed on Sinb's face, with Yerin still saying the same words from earlier. 

 

Sinb's world was going round when she opened her eyes. She heard Yerin's panicked requests and she wanted to make a signal that she was still alive at the moment. So she mustered every last bit of her strength to open at least her eyes to assure her cute reckless being that she won't die. "H-hey," She tried to say but Yerin put a finger on her lips. Sinb noted, how Yerin trembled but still managed to gently placed a finger on hers and shook her head. 

 

"Keep yourself awake Sinb, okay?" Yerin said as she looked directly at the waning orbs of Aphrodite's daughter. "I'll get you to the hospital real quick." 

 

Sinb closed her eyes as she couldn't keep them open but she held Yerin's hand in hers and tighten her grip. She felt the pulsating pain in her womb and she knew the blood was still dribbling down her thighs. "I-It hurts,"

 

"You'll be alright," Yerin whispered. "Just don't die on me Sinb. I can't lose the both of you." 

 

Sinb didn't replied, and her grip was slowly weakening. Yerin knew, they don't have much time left. She instructed the security to drive fast while restraining her sobs from . It hurts, but now was not the time to feel helpess, she thought. She looked once more to Sinb, then to the latter's womb and red pants, and whispered once more, "I can't lose you now." 

 

----

 

10:41 p.m.

 

Sinb was being rushed to the emergency room with Yerin trying to keep up with them. Her hands are covered with blood, same with the white blouse and skirt she has. She immediately carried Sinb in her arms and alerted the nurses to take Sinb in the ER. She doesn't mind the weight for all she cared was to get Sinb and her baby safe from harm. It was like her adrenaline was on it's high within Yerin that the latter was even thinking that if she could only save Sinb with her own hands and volition, she would do it alone.

 

"Sorry Ma'am, but you can't get inside," One of the nurses informed her. Yerin was ready to give a damn about the woman when she felt Sinb's grip on her hand tighten. 

 

"Sinb," Yerin said to the weak figure. She saw how Sinb tried to flutter open her eyes like she was assuring her that everything's going to be alright. Yerin looked at the nurse once again and pleaded that she wanted to accompany Sinb inside.

 

Sinb tried once more to tighten her hold on Yerin. "I-It's okay," Sinb weakly said, her voice quivering with every huff she let out. "J-just s-stay here." 

 

Yerin, still crying, understood what that meant. She slowly let go of Sinb's hand and motioned for the nurses to take Sinb inside. But before the doors closed, Sinb looked at her and Yerin told her that she will never leave. 

 

----

 

12:53 a.m.

 

Yerin paced back and forth in front of the emergency room of the hospital. Her hands are trembling while being clasped together and she didn't mind how tiring it was for her feet to pace back and forth for two hours already. She couldn't care less. Not until the red light in front of the emergency room was turned off. 

 

Yerin was thinking that it was her fault. It was entirely her fault. If she only had finished her workload, she should have been inside Sinb's office, making sure that Aphrodite's daughter was alright. She could've been the one to deliver the folders she needed. If something bad could happen on that dim lit parking lot, it wouldn't be Sinb. It would have been her. 

 

And Yerin doesn't care if it was her that was lying in the ground. As long as Sinb's safe, then everything would be fine. Yerin closed her eyes. Just how did this happen?

 

It was her damn fault. 

 

If something bad were to happen to Sinb and the baby, she would only have herself blame for it. 

 

And she would never forgive herself for that matter. 

 

She was feeling guilty all over. She should protect her at all costs. That's the least thing she could do for Sinb. She has the power to do that, but there she was, in another floor, in another office, away from the one she should be protecting.

 

"Calm down unnie," Umji comforted the brunette. She and Yuju were seated at the side stools in the hallway and terribly looking at the Yerin. They know how much stress and vexation Yerin was currently enduring but they couldn't stop the woman from pacing back and forth. "They will be fine. Don't worry."

 

"How could I not worry?" Yerin answered. "This is all my fault." 

 

"Don't blame yourself," Yuju tried her turn. "No one wanted this to happen." 

 

Just then, a familiar figure came to the scene with other nurses following her. "Hey Jung Yerin!" 

 

Yerin stopped and and looked for whoever called her. It was Dr. Kang. And the look from her face told everything she wanted to say to Yerin.

 

Ever since they came from the hospital, Yerin never stopped crying, and she didn't even bother to wipe clean her tear-stricken face when she went near the doctor. "Save her please," Her voice quivered as she pleaded her case. It was throaty, because of the sobs Yerin tried so bad to hide.

 

Dr. Kang wanted to sermon the brunette or maybe rip out as what she promised the first time they met. But seeing Yerin's tear-stricken face, bloodied blouse and those trembling hands, she couldn't help but pity the woman. Yerin might be having an anxiety attack, she thought. 

 

And all the more she felt worried for Yerin when the latter's eyes were begging for her to bring Sinb into safety. And when Dr. Kang saw that, there was a glint of happiness within her to see her client worrying over the welfare of the mother and child. She was a very personal doctor indeed.

 

"I just came here," Dr. Kang said to the already weakening Yerin. "But I'll inform you once I knew what happened. For now, let Dr. Bae save her and the baby, okay?" 

 

Yerin let go of her hand and went in front of the emergency room, ignoring the doctor's presence. Her mind was once again blurry and running in circles. Why was Sinb still inside? She was there for two hours! What was wrong? 

 

"I called Sinb's parents already," Dr. Kang informed Yuju. "They must be on their way right now." 

 

Yuju stiffened at the information. The Chairman and the Director would know that Sinb's pregnant. Yuju glanced at Yerin and then returned her gaze to the knowing doctor. Yuju felt pity to Yerin and her friend's situation. How bleak are the chances that Jessica would still approve the fake relationship. 

 

"I couldn't tell them any other way Yuju. They must know Sinb's condition. And if that woman has still yet to say that Sinb's pregnant, then it will be a problem. Actually, it will, since Jessica went ballistic to me when she heard  the news." Dr. Kang told her to which Yuju only nodded as a response. 

 

----

 

1:03 a.m.

 

A panting Eunha and Sowon went to the hallway to meet the tired Umji and Yuju who were seated at the side stools. "Where's unnie?" Eunha worriedly asked the two. Umji only pointed out the way to the emergency room and Eunha immediately left them out. 

 

"Unnie!" Eunha called her older sister as she went nearer. She hugged Yerin to give support to the lone girl who was pacing back and forth again. "What happened?"

 

Yerin just stared blankly at her. She couldn't even say another thing beside from what she always repeated inside the car. Eunha tried to the steady the already trembling and tired sister of hers. Eunha saw how pained Yerin was. It was like deja vu and there was nothing Eunha could do to make the pain go away but to hug her sister. 

 

"I-I can't lose them Eunha," Yerin said. "I just can't."

 

"I know unnie. Everything's going to be fine, alright?" Eunha comforted her sister. She rubbed the latter's back trying to ease the crying Yerin. 

 

"T-then how come she hasn't go out yet?" Yerin said with hitched breaths. 

 

"The doctors are doing their work unnie. Let's trust them."

 

----

 

1:15 a.m.

 

Jessica and Tiffany came and saw Yuju with two other women they don't know. They took flight once Dr. Kang called Jessica on the phone that their daughter was rushed to the hospital. Tiffany asked what's wrong and all Dr. Kang could inform them was that Sinb was bleeding but Dr. Bae was trying to stabilize both the mother and the child. 

 

And when Jessica heard that, she immediately went to book tickets with two things in mind: See her daughter alive, and maybe lash out on Yerin. 

 

"Where is she?" Jessica coldly asked the redhead. 

 

"Still in the emergency room Ma'am," Yuju informed her albeit she was trembling inside. She knew Yerin was not ready to face this mom of Sinb right now, but all was too late. 

 

Jessica stormed the hallway directing her to the ER and saw Yerin with a small woman hugging her. Tiffany, on the other hand, followed her with the worried eyes and concern. And when Tiffany saw the trio, she was shocked to see Jessica already slapping Yerin continuously. 

 

"Jess!" Tiffany pulled Jessica away from the crying Yerin. "Stop it already!" 

 

Jessica arranged her clothes and glared at Yerin. "Why haven't you told me?!"

 

Yerin just kept her head hung low. All words ran out from her head and mouth. She doesn't mind the slap on both her cheeks. She somehow doesn't feel it. 

 

How will she say it when all she could think about was Sinb and the baby?

 

"Stay away from Sinb." Jessica ordered despite Tiffany's refusal. "I want you out of the vicinity or I'll call the guards."

 

"You're being too harsh," Tiffany argued. "Let the girl stay here." 

 

"No." Jessica said sternly as she glared at the woman she once found different. "I don't want you in my daughter's life. Get out before I call the security." 

 

Eunha didn't waste time and dragged Yerin out, but the brunette won't budge. "Unnie,"

 

Yerin finally stared at Jessica's menacing orbs. They were pleading, hoping Jessica would get the message that she wanted to stay. She said to Sinb that she will never leave and leaving her was the last thing she would do. "P-please Ma'am, I-I want to stay." 

 

Tiffany tighten her hold onto Jessica to prevent the latter from lashing at the poor woman. She noted how tired Yerin was but it seemed the adrenaline was still working magic to Yerin's weakened body. "Yerin, take a break first. Rest for awhile and then come back when you're feeling better. Please it's our turn to wait for our daughter. You've done your job." 

 

----

 

2:30 a.m.

 

Yerin and the gang were outside the hospital. Only Yuju was permitted to go inside the premises but the latter has still yet to come back for them and tell news of Sinb's condition. Umji bought coffee for them while Sowon and Eunha tried to persuade Yerin in going home. 

 

"C'mon unnie," Eunha begged her sister. "We could come back tomorrow. There's nothing we could do here. Let the family be there for her first unnie." 

 

Instead of answering, she motioned for Sowon to come near her. "Sowon, take Eunha home for me okay?"

 

"Wha-you'll not come with us?" Sowon said. "At least go home and change clothes Yerin, please." 

 

Yerin shook her head. "I know I'm needed here. I-I can't leave Sinb."

 

"Unnie..." Eunha trailed. She tried to look at Yerin's eyes. They were tired and probably, she cried all her tears that she was not shedding them anymore. 

 

"I-I made a promise Eunha. I told her I will never leave and I so I shall stay here no matter what," Yerin explained. "I trust Sowon to take care of you home. I promise to be home once Sinb wakes up, okay?"

 

Sowon held Eunha's hand and signaled that Yerin was firm in her decision. "It should be alright," She told her girlfriend. And though Eunha doesn't want to leave, she had to. 

 

----

 

2:46 a.m.

 

Yerin was now left alone since Umji came to follow Sowon and Eunha shortly after. She understood, Umji was needed at the farmhouse. And it wasn't like she wants some company. 

 

Yuju messaged her that Sinb was now out of the ER and her condition was slightly better. Yerin asked if the baby was alright and Yuju affirmed her that the baby was well. Dr. Bae and Dr. Kang told them that Sinb was under great stress and her body just succumbed to it. Yerin couldn't go inside since Jessica informed the staffs to not let her in despite Tiffany arguing with her about it. 

 

"Thank goodness she's alright," Yerin said weakly. She just stayed outside the hospital building and was seated inside the waiting area. "Did she wake up?"

 

"Not yet," Yuju informed her. "Are you still outside?"

 

Yerin said she was and will never leave once Sinb wakes up. Yuju shook her head and glanced at Sinb's parents beside Sinb's bed. She wanted to do something for Yerin. She knew how badly Yerin wanted to see Sinb and her baby, but going against Jessica's order was a big risk. 

 

"I'll try to talk to them to let you in," Yuju said to the other line. 

 

Yerin nodded and ended the call. She was blaming herself. She wanted to say sorry and that she wasn't able to finish her work to help her. She wanted to see Sinb and her baby so bad but it seemed the world was against her. 

 

It was like they don't want to assure Yerin of having to see them again. She was fearing for that reality, and she was feeling it now. She knew just what Jessica's words meant. 

 

She wanted her out of her daughter's life. 

 

It was clear, but it was something Yerin couldn't just bring herself to do. How? She was beginning to embrace a possible family for her to build, regardless of the fake relationship they have. Yerin couldn't just give up. 

 

She cried again and the only comfort she had that moment, was her bloodied hands in her face. 

 

-oo0oo-

(20) I Will Never Leave

 

-oo0oo-