Distance

Distance

 

 

“I know you have some coordination work to do. You go ahead. I’ll pick up something and catch up with you later,” I said.

I caught your hand before you headed into the building, “Love you, dear”

“You are really cheesy,” you messed up my hair a little.

I exhibited a frown, “No, I am not." You massaged my cheek lovingly (that's nice) and we broke into a broad beam together at the building entrance where the studio is located.

 

 

I found you in the studio and gave you cup of the hot chocolate, “Here, dear.”

You jumped at the surprise, “From my favourite joint!” You removed the cover and sniffed the fabulous hot chocolate. "It is at least 20 minutes away from here!"

“You told me before that you like their beverage... I ordered in advance and arranged to collect it from Ray nearby." I arranged your hair, simply having difficulties keeping my hands off my angel. "Sorry that you rested late.”

You suddenly put down the takeaway cup and hugged me, cosily. I held you back, tightly.

 

 

“Mr Oh, here you are! Here!” as I handed the last cup of caffeine to him, after distributing the other cuppas personally to the rest of the crew.

Mr Oh, glanced at me, I could feel his cold gaze, as he eyed on me, up, down and up again, studying, scrutinizing, evaluating, “She is smiling.” Mr Oh commented.

“Yes”, I nodded, smiling. “So dazzling and bright!”, slipped out of my lips.

“Yes, I am glad.” twinkles danced in Oh’s eyes. “That is a viable difference from a couple of days ago.”

I looked up at Mr Oh. We exchanged a look. I waited as he seemed to be waiting to say something.

Our gaze involuntarily returned to where you are located, looking at you talking to co-workers, discussing .. laughing… “You know why I worked with her?”, Oh suddenly popped out.

I have read about Oh in magazines and should say that am rather impressed by his works, “Yes, but not in detail yet.”

“A lot of people lined up for my work, or work with me,” Oh is proud of his talent, but not conceited, and definitely not a bully. “I don’t like to babysit. I prefer to work by myself. Yeong, a girl, petite and all, but vivacious, full of energy,.. she fought very hard, tried multiple times, never stepped over others to get what she requires. Strong, amazing willpower. ... That little girl, despite her humble background, her .. her resilience, gumptions won me over. Now, I am here whenever she needs.“

“She is appreciative, grateful, gracious, thoughtful and puts in 120% effort, always”, this is you.

“I am more than aware too," Oh knows you too.

Oh held his cuppa, while noting my (longing) expression. Oh took another long sip, “One night last week, I sent some pictures to her office,” he eyed at me, who returned the glance, “I witnessed her on the floor, clasping onto her phone, crying her heart out. She was exceptionally happy when she returned from Europe and then? .. I was stumped. I stood and waited for her storm to blow over. Puffy eyed, nose red, and her hair was in a mess. I made her a hot chocolate from the pantry, offered to accompany her for a meal but she declined. She sat up, brushed away the hair that covered her face, and took the cup. Took a long sniff and drank. She uttered some things. Her true feelings.", Oh paused and continued, "She had accepted her background stoically, plainly, with stride. Did she ever quit? No. A strong façade. But I could see her trembling in the moonlight. I asked her. She replied, that she ... I haven’t seen her like that. No matter under whatever circumstances.”

I fell into thoughts.

“After that, I tried to drop by her office every evening, just checking on how she is,” Oh continued, “I am glad by the change that I saw yesterday. That light is back in her life.”

Words floated around. I was still deep in thoughts.

I felt Oh’s tap on my shoulder and his voice in a much casual tone, “She is like a sister to me. Don’t bully her."

Words came from me, “Thank you, Oh.,” She is my life.

“I couldn’t help but teased you guys yesterday.”

“Oh, did you?” I replied.

“It’s good to be young, isn’t it?” Oh added.

Oh looked straight at me again, “Frankly, you are too good looking, complimented the other models while still shining so brightly. This is a very rare characteristic in models, hardly seen in veterans too. There are a lot of temptations in this world. Don’t be mobbed by wild butterflies.”

I laughed and shook my head, “I’ll take that as a compliment. Really, Yeong is the gorgeous one here.  She is kind, gracious and is always able to bring out the best of all.” Oh nodded while I continued, “Anyway, I know what I need, searched and is holding now. It came hard. We'll treasure it," I only have eyes for you. I returned Oh’s tap on his shoulder, “and … Thank you for comforting Yeong.” I am elated that you have a great friend.

“Like I said, don’t bully her. Else…” Oh repeated as we broke into a laugh together.

 

 

We took a short trip to the seaside, enjoyed the dusk, fed the sea gulls and danced on the sand.

The pieces of life seem to be falling back neatly into its puzzle. Everything just apt, fits.

I  woke up for some water and realised that your feet are cold and outside the blanket, "Your feet are still outside the covers!" I murmured and covered them nicely. A while later, they are out in the air again. "YA, keep your feet covered. Else, you'll catch a cold!"

You giggled.

"Let me think of something," as I rolled over, anchored my head with my arm, and touched your cheeks affectionally.

"Yes?" you blinked, "Not covering my feet?"

"No, I thought of something much better, warmer.." as I covered you completely.

We nestled comfily under the covers. "Better now?"

“Yes.” you asked, "Are you sleeping?"

“No, not yet…”

“You know.”, as you laid snugly on my chest, my fingers moving rhythmically on my skin, “I am scared. I was scared, never been so scared. I was lonely, lost and I suppressed or don’t know it. Till I find it, know you, that I realise how much I missed and how sacred everything we have. The leap is worth it. Like you said, distance, distance is not the continents that are separating us. It is, it is when I know how I feel, and yet didn’t come near you enough… I am glad, we broke that barrier and here we are. We are tied together by the invisible and invincible thread, that rides over the tangibles,” I held your hand, felt incredibly touched, glanced at your eyes affectionally.

“I know…” I nodded. “Tell you something, my dear..."

"Yes? I am at all ears" you smiled your smile, that’s the sweetest sight in my life.

"Mr Oh spoke to me this morning. He told me what he seen and knew... I am sorry I made you worried, and cried … Through these days, especially last week.. I realised that you are my everything. I can’t, can’t survive without you.”

“Me too,” tears glimmered in your loveliness. “I wish, I want to have more days, good and bad, with you. You are a good man, deserve to be happy. Through all I, we been through, I realise how much, how deep, I love you.”

“You are the great lady, perfect in my eyes. Truly deserve to be happy. Let’s be together.”

“We are.”

“Please be mine, I’m…“

“I’m yours.”

“Always?” I sought confirmation.

“Yes, a 100 Yes!”, you promised.

A promise etched in our hearts, that was sealed with our lips.  

 


"Shall we eat out tonight instead of cooking?" I asked, greeting you as you slipped into your pink slippers.

"Sure. Shall we try the grilled meat that is say 3 streets away? I think a new stall just opened there!" you answered.

"Bingo! I am going to propose that! " I asked. "Did you just peep into my mind?"

 


"Dear, did you see my letter?" you asked while digging through the stack of letters.

"Which letter? The one on this year's tax returns?"

"Yes" you replied.

"You left it under your keyboard!"

"Thanks, dear. You are the best!", you gave me a bear hug!

 


“Still looking for my white strands?” I teased you as I rested my head comfortably on your thighs.

You stared closer. “No. There isn’t any.”

I zeroed in and stole a kiss.

 


“Dear, where is my specs?” I wanted to glance through the movie catalogue to check if there is anything interesting to watch with you.

You put on your round-framed specs and glanced around, then looked at me. “On your head, dear!”

I laughed. You joined in. That warm, booming and deep sound echoed in our living room, sounded much better than the TV stereo.

 


 

We watched a drama finale together, not via the internet in different parts of the world, but really together, in our living room.

This JTBC drama1 is the second one which casted PHS and PBY as leads, years after they first jointed hands in SWDBS. A military drama. We are really glad that they have worked together once more, as it is rare to cast the same pair of leads together, unless for sequels or prequels. That chemistry re-initiated, their undeniable harmonious, unfaultable reunion amazed fans, non-fans as well as newly converted ones, all around the globe.

What primarily and ultimately touched us is still their undeniable rapport and chemistry. One glance, even for those scenes where they were a distance apart, could contain and say so much. Do I need to elaborate further on their interactions? The solid fundamentals in this OTP remained. As much as we enjoyed SWDBS.. This time, there is something more. Subtle, brewing, but viewers can feel that its existence. That sensation and stir which they left much traces and displayed so naturally on reel - from the initial suppression of feelings to their declaration of intent and confession, are much more defined and poignant than ever. Maybe because years have passed, they have more experiences in life, matured in the minds? Or their feelings towards each other have grown and aged beautifully like wine? Regardless of the underlying reasons, it is an ultimate joy to watch them, and often, they put us in much thoughts and comfort.

“They are good as individuals and an item, aren’t they?” I asked, tapping your hand.

“Yes.” You nodded. “That’s what they are. They are both great respectively. But when they are together, their goodness reinforced and projected exponentially. With time, they grew and got even more compatible!"

My hair is back to the very short style with my fringe stick near to my forehead. Long time ago, I felt that such short hair made me feel vulnerable, like I am baring my feelings to the world, which you disagreed. You said that you love the short haircut on me, love feeling the small spikes at the slope on the back of my head... You always tell that I am brave and expressive. We open our minds and hearts to accept and love each other. Vulnerable? – Yes, maybe at times. But it is only through that, we became stronger as an item. That's us, you said. Over the years, we matured, and bettered ourselves. We know it.

“Just like us”, you added.

I smiled and met your waiting lips as your hand wondered to the back of my head.

 

 

The following month, we went over the moon after reading the headlines of the daily news at Chun's boutique (that custom-make dresses for ladies) :

Puppies' Love Attained Fruition!

A lot of people are elated, including us. “See, I told you so!” you are so proud that your forecast has materialised.

“Yes, you are very right, my dear.” as I cuddled you in my arms. “He has finally charmed her out of the closet.”

“They have braved through the odds.”, you added with true joy.

“What caused you guys to go into such a jubilant mood?” Hyeong asked. “The well-made dress by my wife? Yeong, thank you for being Chun's showcase/portfolio model again!” Hyeong said as he showed Chun the news headlines. Chun added, “When is it your turn?”

We glanced at each other, lovingly, affectionally. It has been a long time ago, when we first looked at each other like this. Just like being teleported through time via a time machine - This look, this affection, this emotion, is still similar now. It has not worn out in the passage of distance and time.

“This is our fruition”, we have reached this consensus long ago. You smiled sweetly while holding my hands.

Hyeong and Chun laughed.

 

 

Gentle rays fell on our bodies, sound of incoming waves in our ears, brine wind on our face, feet on the fine grains, hand in hand, we strolled towards that tall red lighthouse.

We are regulars here as this is the first place we visited after I returned years ago and you have a special liking for the view and homely inn nearby.

We ambled idly, smiling, giggled.. happy. We are. Endorphins in the blood, triggering much positive feelings. We beamed from ear to ear. The smiles are so real. I said my thanks again.

Holding your hand, waking up with you, enjoying the same view with you, sipping mocha with you, covering more miles with you, starting new chapters with you… Be it the sand under our feet in the middle east, cobble stone streets in Europe, concrete pathways in Seoul, regardless of location, one truth remains - you complete me. This should be life and is our life now. Happiness derived only with you. Dependence, yes, that made me vulnerable. However, that doesn't bother me for I know this happiness is what you longed for too. Because this is you, everything is worth it. We work hard together, for us. We are happy together. That’s all it matters.

Distance, your S.I. unit is not metre, it is the distance between our minds. Like you have said, distance is mightiest when we are facing each other but feel kilometres apart. It is quite an irony. Because of distance - we talked, thought, felt appreciation, experienced longing, and evolved strong enough to bridge over that physical limitation, hence reaching the altitude that we are now.

Distance, you wilted once our minds met. This is a treasure, an intangible and solemn one.

As you are here, tomorrow is promised. My lips felt the coolness on your finger. I am home, we are home now. We will hold on together and move on, and on ..

 

 

Two pairs of slippers, one bigger and masculine pair, and a smaller but sweeter pair settled comfortably behind our door.

Numerous pictures from our daily life and mementos from our various trips lined sie-by-side on top of the TV.

This is life.. our life together..

 

 

Source of pictures : From various websites  - Thank you.

 

1 When The Dawn Wind Rises, by my favourite author, myzyanya (https://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1299584/when-the-dawn-wind-rises)