The First Time

Distance

I quickly packed my stuff into the suitcase according to my travel checklist. Luckily, there isn't a lot to pack since it’s only a 5 days trip. I saw something sparkling in the ledge between the sofa and ottoman. I shifted the ottoman. “Oh, you are here!” I finally found my external hard disc (of pictures that I have taken over the last 2 years). I threw it into my backpack, together with my wallet, air-ticket, passport, jacket, change of clothing ….

I checked in early and strolled within the restricted area.  I bought a pair of hiking shoes as mine has worn out months ago and I didn’t take much time off to do shopping for the replacement.

"Here is your receipt, Sir. I placed some recently launched cologne samples in your bag too. Enjoy your flight!"

Cologne samples for shoes purchase? Then I note that the cashier is still waiting for me. I took my bag of purchase, "Oh, thank you."

There isn’t much else to stroll in the restricted area but there is still an hour to boarding. I booted up my laptop, checked emails from various accounts, and browsed through my vault of pictures. Every set of pictures brings back memory of where it was taken, what happened then…  Hmmm, this set of pictures suits the requirement of the email requestor from Seoul. I quickly replied to inform I’ll deliver the pictures on Monday.

My phone vibrated. I reach for my phone to read the new message that has just arrived ...

I smile. Really happy that I'll finally get to meet you.

“Passengers whose seats are from rows 50 to 57, please proceed to board now. Passengers whose seats are in the remaining rows, please wait for further announcement. Thank you.” I located my window seat, put my immediate belongings into my jacket pockets, and my haversack into the overhead cabin. Clipped on my seat beat, I browsed through the inflight entertainment, had some red wine and slept. This will be a long flight.

...

Was it due to excitement? I wake up early on Monday morning, bath, shave, pull on my faded blue jeans, white tee and a hooded top. I look into the mirror and see the happy looking reflection in the informal dress code – that is one of the perks of being an engineer in this firm, the dress code is informal most of the time. I spend extra time fixing my hair before setting off. I look at the cologne samples from the airport. Should I use them? Am I overdoing this? I wonder. I pick up my laptop and haversack, and close the hotel room door behind me.

It’s still early, and the streets are still rather deserted. The sounds and sights in Seoul have changed from the last I remembered. It’s not surprising as I have been away for over 2 years. 

I manage to deliver the pictures to the requestor’s office, then proceed to my HQ where the first briefing starts at 1000 hours.

 

1930 hours. “Am I too early?” I wonder. The sky is overcast. It may rain soon. I run into café where we are supposed to meet. A small cosy place near Jongno sam ga station. Welcomed by the aroma of coffee and pastry, I take the secluded table at the corner, that is beside the full height windows. My favourite table. I plan to order hot chocolate, sweet and thick concoction, which soothes my throat and warms me up in such a weather. At the same time, I am debating whether to have another dose of caffeine today… as I put my bag and laptop down on the chairs.

“Hi, Yeong!”

“Hi, Ray! You are on duty tonight.” I greet the part time waiter, who is taking the same part time degree course which I graduated from years ago. I know he needs a part time job, and introduced him here as they are short of part timers. Ray is a good kid, talented in design stuff too.

“Ready to order?”

I paused and answered, “Please give me a hot chocolate first.”

“Any pizza to go along?”

“I’ll order the food after my friend is here.”

“Sure!”

I sat down. Hands involuntarily shaking. I am tortured by an irrational nervous breakdown. I think I know your Ahn-antansic way and probably you have guessed Do-imilar too. So, there is no way we will miss each other. We have so many and frequent email exchanges, so chatting wouldn’t be a problem. So, what cause the nervousness? I shook my head, can’t find a reason for my weird mind.

I fired up my laptop as it’s still early. I got some really good and appropriate pictures that meet my design needs. I started to add slogans and refinements on the screen.

Boom.. sounded at a distance. I look up. I see droplets on the full height windows. The glass panes beside me feel cold. I look down into the streets, that is decorated with fast moving and colourful mushroom looking creatures. It’s almost 15 minutes past 2000 hours. Wonder where are you now.

I run. I know I am late. I run. The last meeting for the day took longer than usual. It’s evening peak hour and I have lost touch with the traffic conditions in Seoul. The downpour added woes to the already strained traffic situation. A cab is almost impossible to get and it’ll be worst if I am caught in the jam. Please do not be mad at me. I texted you.

I darted out of the subway station. Put on my wind breaker and dashed through the crowd. It took me a few turns but luckily the café was not so difficult to locate. I  ran up the flight of stairs that lead to the cafe, shook off the raindrops from my windbreaker before entering the cafe. I glance around. The café is almost half filled. The pizza smells really nice. Let’s see. Laptop, twirling pencil, pink hooded top… that MUST be you! As I approached your table, you dropped your pencil and bent down to pick it up. (It was my shaker pencil.) As you stand up, your head hit the bottom of the table with a loud ‘bong’.

 

“Ouch!” I heard you. That must hurt. I almost laughed. Maine.

I approached you with much apologies. “Is your head okay?”

“You have seen that? Ommo.” You quickly recovered.

You stand up straight. There is a good 20 cm height difference between us. You are sweet, no, more like a cheerful, demure and kind look.

“Hi, I am Ahn. Hyun, Lee Hyun.” I stretched out my hand and you took it immediately.

“Hello. I am Do. Yeong.”

I saw you working on your laptop. “So sorry. I am late. What are you working on?”

“Catching up on my work.” You explained, followed by a cheery smile.

“Oh, did you find the right pictures you wanted for your project the last time?” I asked.

"Yes, I received some really good pictures from a kind anonymous contributor. He (I think should be a he) takes really good pictures.” You added.

“From his anonymity, I guess he’ll not accept any royalty.”

“Yes, I’ll donate that to charity.” You really do read people.

“Here, this is your hazelnet latte.” You pointed. I took a sip, its outstanding! “It’s really good.”

“Can I boast that – I told you so?” you laughed and I followed. Your mood is kind of contagious.

“How’s your day?”

“Long, busy… and wet now.” I wiped the droplets off my windbreaker.

We looked outside. “I prefer a drizzle, rather than a downpour.”, you related.

“You have an innocent and romantic mind”. You look puzzled. “Oh, I associate drizzle with innocence, childlike, like children. Pure.”

“It’s cold. Would you like to order some food? Will spaghetti or pizza do? Their Hawaiian is to die for.”

“Sure! Do they have pepperoni or salami pizza too?”

“Those are great too.”

“You seem to know their menu inside out.”

“I am a frequent patron here & I know their boss. Ha, I can make pizza too.”

“You are good. I survive on ramen and spaghetti. Those are the 2 things that I can manage.”

“People who live by themselves will definitely know how to cook a few of their own comfort food. Wait a while. Make yourself comfortable.”

I take off my windbreaker and hang it on the chair beside me. You walk towards a waiter.  You are simply cool and comfortable to be with. I have not settle in and chat with anyone so casually and relax within minutes, like here I am with you now. You are somewhat, somehow, exceptionally natural. Maybe I already know your mind. Now, I am just adding a face to that. 

"I see that the Ahn hooded shirt fits you!" 

"You gave me different sizes. This one fits me really well. Thank you. ... Oh, btw, if you need any pictures in future, you can let me know too. I’ll see if I can be of any help? I take pictures during my free time. I am not a pro but my pictures are okay.”

“You are being modest, I guess. I’ll definitely let you know in future.“ You raise your left eye brow. It is a quick, brief moment but I did notice it. I anticipate what you are going to add. You ask, “What’s your rates like?” I didn’t see your little tease coming.

“My fees are high (of course)”, you look a little defeated, “A latte and pizza will cover all that.”

“Cheeky.”

I laughed. “What do you usually do during weekends?”

“Work, design, watch a little, write something..”

“Btw, how did episode 10 go? I haven’t caught it yet.”

“I .. (you suddenly move closer and stare at me, in a relatively more serious tone) .. I am not telling you! (You laughed as you notice that I have intuitively retreated a little ) You watch first. I don’t watch to spoil any surprises that is in store for you. You like the process, right?”

Yes, you remember what I wrote. I nodded. I smiled right from the inside.

“Why do you need caffeine now? Trying to stay awake to combat jetlag?”

“Not really. I just like latte. The thick, milky, silky brew that warms my insides.”

We share pizzas and chat like old friends. There isn’t much quiet time. Time passes really fast. It is already 2300 and the café is closing.

“Shall we meet tomorrow evening, if you are available?”, I can’t resist asking. I only have a few nights here. I really want to meet and know more about you.

“Sure.” your answer is quick, prompt, non-pretentious.

“I am almost a tourist as I have not been back here for a while. Can you recommend a place?”

You think for a minute. “Sure. Let me check if I can reserve a table tomorrow morning first. I’ll text you the address and directions.”

“Where are you heading to now?”

“Company provided accommodation at a hotel, almost a subway stop away from here. It’s late. Can I see you home?” You nodded.

We stood up. "Bye, Ray!"

"Bye. Hope you enjoyed your meal!"

"We did!" you replied.

Ray bowed slightly to me, and I bowed slightly to him in return.

We walk out. The downpour has reduced to a drizzle but there are still some puddles on the streets. The air is crisp and the wind is cool.

The traffic lights changed and the cars looked ready to sprint. I quickly cover you by standing in front of you.. but is drenched by the splashes made by the vehicles that sped past us.

“Oh. Thank you.. but you are wet.” I see your genuine and anxious expression, fussing over the splashes on me. You are really apologetic although it was really no fault of yours. You pulled me to a shelter and tried to tap the water off me.

“Don’t worry. It’s the end of the day. I can change later. I'll send the clothing to the hotel laundry.” I assured you.

“So sorry.”

“There is nothing that you should apologise about. It’s the rain and inconsiderate drivers, not you.”

We shared an umbrella, crossed a few streets, made a couple of turns and reached your apartment building. You said goodbye and walked inside. I waited for you to walk up, your living room light switched on, before I turn to leave. I switched on the GPS on my phone, got the directions right, and walk towards my hotel.

I entered my hotel room, bathed, reviewed and packed the materials needed for the briefings tomorrow, channel surfed a while.

I stood in front of the windows. The rain has finally stopped. I turned to the direction where you are staying. I am still wide awake. Is it from the latte, jetlag or ...?

You, you are the personification of simplicity, making things easy, explaining, helping those around you to relax. Maybe this is why you glow, it is your inner self that lit your eyes and enhance your features. Whenever you smile and laugh, I can’t help but follow your lead, even if it is just on the inside. To be in your company is to feel that I too, is the focus of your attention and also someone special, that I am warmed up in summer sun regardless of the season. You have an understated manner of beauty, perhaps it is heightened and intensified as you are so unaware of your personal touch, your allure.

I take another sip of the warm water, pause at my laptop but decide against it although the temptation is strong. I quickly turn off the lights, lay on my bed and close my eyes… looking forward to tomorrow evening.

 

I am on my bed, hugged and bid my big Garfield-head plush toy that is beside me good night.

You are maybe 1.8m tall, almost towering over my petite 1.58m. Short and neat haircut, hair tousled from the wind and slightly damp from the rain. Dressed in simple blue jeans, white tee and the Ahn hooded top which I gave you.  Coupled with bright eyes, well-defined cheekbones, clear complexion, you looked like the slim model who has just walked out from the pages of a magazine.

Not sure if you know or have gotten used to it, that you have just the kind of face that stopped people in their tracks. That sudden pause in strangers’ natural expression when they looked in your direction, followed by an odd and overcompensating, somewhat embarrassing smile (from being detected that they stare). It didn't help that you are so discreet (or maybe oblivious) with it, it made them notice you more easily. I have seen dozens of male models in my line of work, and you stood out from them all. You are not just handsome alright, you are equipped with an unexplained charm.

When was the last time that I feel so comfortable with someone, or anyone, almost instantly? I can’t recall. With you, I am comfortable, too much at ease.

I fell asleep, wrapped in my thoughts.

Next morning, I realised that my room lights are still on.