The Escapade

Distance

 

The Escapade is written entirely from Hyun’s POV :

 

The 2,000 years old Roman aquaduct that brought water and beauty to the area for centuries still span majestically across the small town. With those stacks and stacks of perfectly cut and arranged stones, and the huge structure still faces the sun now... It is hard to imagine how the massive project was designed and constructed in that era. Standing below it rendered us insignificant. We breezed though the castle that inspired Disney animation, walked through a Cathedral that is so massive, deep, which coupled with unusually high and impressive ceiling. Although this is not the first time I walked into a Cathedral with you, this time, you are relaxed, this place far more serene, you are in my arms, we are happily on vacation, .. it felt entirely different.

There were more more signs of Moorish influence across the small town. Dinner was the pride of the town - roasted ling pig. Oh mine… The skin just cracked, the meat unimaginably tender and just melted in my mouth… I have your great recommendation to thank .. Looking at how heartedly you enjoyed the food added brownie points to the already great cuisine.

After touring olive plantations and tasted some really tasty olive related cuisine, we tried our hands on horse riding. When the horse you were riding suddenly switched from strolling to galloping mode, you were able to take the cowboy's instructions, while the other cowboy calmed the horse down. I was on another stallion, over-looking the situation, with cold sweat frizzled down my spine. After you dismounted from your horse, you exclaimed that galloping was thrilling, and asked the cowboy to explain in detail on animals’ temperament and also teach you in how to handle the horse when it is galloping. I guessed many who had gone through what you had experienced would be biting fingers, but you weren’t! You were undaunted! I have almost never seen anyone like you! Riding was fun BUT I’ll research for courses and all the essential safety equipment that I could get you.

We enrolled ourselves in a crash course to learn the traditional flamenco. As you do zumba and yoga and me on some gumdo and basic waltz, we guessed flamenco would be interesting to learn! The steps weren’t really hard but your steps were somehow, somewhat, either not in right place or sequence. The trainer invited us to try out flamenco at her restaurant over dinner that night, in order to put our newly acquired skills into practice. In the end, you apologised profusely (I really don’t mind your steps on me …) and giggled endlessly to your long list of hiccups. Being able to laugh off one’s hitches is a skill, is sanguineness. When life gives one lemons, one should laugh over it… yes, I know...

When I walked out of the bathroom that night, I saw your back facing me… I leaned against the bathroom door observing you practised flamenco. I pulled the neckline of my crew-neck tee to my lips, pondering.. I didn’t make a sound, just took my time studying you. You are determined and industrious, always putting in your best. You used record time to learn the functionalities and operations of my camera. You can almost handle it as well as me now… A smile spread on my lips. I inched close, held you from behind (“Sorry for startling you”), hummed the tune, and guided you to the correct steps at the correct timings. You could coordinate your eyes-hands-legs movements so well when you drive, so I am sure that it is just a matter of time that you master flamenco 101.

“You are very good. How could you dance and sing so brilliantly?”, you asked.

“Just happens that my memory is good.. dance steps can’t deter me…” I explained “AND, not forgetting that I have a great partner, whom I could put the dance steps into great use..” How I love the pinkish hue that glow so instantly on your cheeks, with whatever, however teensy the teasings you get.. you are just lovable. I have almost never seen anyone like you.

 

At a vineyard, we saw how wine was made, tried various wines at relaxing tasting rooms and had idyllic meals. This vineyard also offered comfortable and homely cabin facilities for visitors.  

We walked past a fenced national park and saw a great lake inside (from our vantage point) … but heard from Daniel (the guide and vineyard owner) that it will be closed for the day soon.

“The night view should be impressive..”, you sighed.

“Yes, and very much different from what you see in the day.” I replied. “Is there any wild animal attacks here at night”, I asked Daniel.

“Oh, no. Not at all.  Maybe just a few rabbits and deers”, was Daniel's answer. “Here, this is your cabin key. Let me bring you to your cabin, its just at that corner. Tomorrow is your free and easy day. You can roam around the area. Meals are served at the restaurant – where you had lunch just now. Just go in anytime after you wake up.”

“Thanks! Did you manage to stock up our fridge?” We shared a knowing smile and Daniel gave me a pat on the back. “Oh yes! Of course, enjoy!” Then I noticed some children running out from a corner of the bushes, along the fence of the adjacent national park.

Once we out down our things at the cabin and refreshened up, I pulled you out .. “Come, let’s go!”

“Really?”, your eyes widened.

“Of course!” I concurred, “How many times do we live?”

It was evening. We surveyed parts of the circumference of the park and you whispered, “Love, here. These is a hole in the fence… “

“There are many precedents, I guess.”

“In such a beautiful place.. I wouldn’t be surprised.”

We tried to curb our laughter and kept our voice low as we strolled along the semi-dried muddy path which was carelessly formed mostly by human footprints. The path gradually widened and led us to the shoreline .. facing the lake. It was humid and a light grey mist hung over an edge of the lake like a veil, adding some elements of mystic over the area.

The sun’s radiance scintillated and beamed on the lake’s surface as it gradually dip behind the horizon, not forgetting to splash a brilliant spectrum of colours across the sky. As the orange rays slowly lose its daily battle against darkness, twilight cordially resumed her position. In another ten hours or so, the tables will be turned.

Singings of the birds and crickets were accompanied by the wind’s chorus, dragonflies hovered on the surface of the waters, ducks waddled and quaked their way home, with her ducklings chatting and trailing at her tail … but with one (really small one) fell really behind. You scooped it up tenderly and placed it next to its commander ... mummy stopped at its tracks and pecked nosily at its offspring, like giving it an impromptu lecture on punctuality…

“They are so cute”, you said.

Helping the small and relatively more helpless...  I know you always do ... “Yes, they are cute, the penguins you drew are cute, but you have far more aegyo”, I added. Suddenly, I realised what was the missing piece from the card that I have prepared... what was THE personal touch to add... 

As darkness gained strength, starlight and moonlight gleamed on the dark surface of the lake. The trees which were grown in a haphazard manner along the shoreline casted long shadows on the water surface.

Looking through the crystal clear waters was like peering though a huge piece of clean glass, one which was untouched and unsmudged by humans' sticky prints. We hanged our shoes over our shoulders with the tied shoelaces and paced along the edges of the lake. The lake waters was cool on touch and cascaded over our feet like a premium oil-free moisturiser, instantly cooling and removing the heat. You sprayed some water on me naughtily, causing my instant retreat of a couple of steps.

I caught on to your hand and led you to the shallower ends, preventing you from any accidential fall into the deep waters..

The sparkling surface contined to glisten in the pale light, reflected the dazzling constellation of stars and illuminated the quiet charm of the moon. The replication of the trees on the water surface was interrupted by ripples caused by visiting breezes. The singings of the insects added base to the subtle and harmonious symphony of nature.

Our feet remained soaked in the lake waters… Sneaking into the vicinity of the national park in the cover of dusk was an adventure, an impy one… but no harm done as we would not cause damage to the place .. we just wanted to take a look of the lake, after night falls. “It is so comfortable here”, you exclaimed.

After being in the dim light for a while, my eyes have adjusted to seeing you in the low level of illumination. “Yes”, I smiled as I gradually lose myself in your loveliness in the wan light. No matter from which angle or how I look at you… you glowed with loveliness, so much so that it is hard for me to bear without actually running my hands on it, touching and feeling it. To my surprise, the more I feed my addiction, the more addicted I feel. This has totally contradicted with the fundamental rule of diminishing marginal utility in Economics.

“A penny for your thoughts, dear?”

I have been caught. “Oh.. this…” I looked around. “You see that stub near to the waters?” pointing east… It is like a silhouette of a person facing the waters.

“Yes, very much like Munch’s Young Girl on the Beach.”

You caught up with me, “Did you just peep into my mind?”

“That’s a well-known painting. A melancholic one.”

“There are some iterations to it. In general, the painting with the lone girl facing the beach is a façade of solitude. The fragile girl, lost in reverie, looked blankly out into the sea. Dressed in her shimmering white dress, long hair gently floating in the wind, back facing the audience… she seemed rather composed.”

“What our eyes captured may not what was running beneath the surface.. The absence of an apparent horizon in that painting indicated that the world out there is much bigger than her, intensifying her loneliness, fragility as well as magnifiying the uncertaininties of life.”

“Being alone and lonely are different. Alone is a choice. Lonely can be viewed as a forced upon option."

“I am the child that was tucked in a corner. I am the child that no one sees. I am the child that no one loves. … Lonely is a vice, it feeds on and kills the mind slowly.” You narrated. I saw that you were holding onto yourself, with flickerings in your eyes.

We shared a buried pain that was the result of unerasable abandonment issues in the past. “But we have a choice now.” I rubbed your shoulders, “You are not lonely anymore. We have each other now. Lean on me.” I instructed. “Try. Learn to.” if you are still getting used to it… I bent my head and rubbed the tip of your nose against mine..

There was a time that I thought I could not get used to darkness. Gradually, I realise, it takes time, a lot of time, patience, thinking and self-help... to see .. It is only  in the pitch darkness, at the lowest trough, that one can spot and appreciate the spray of sparkling star dust over the velvety skyline - That shine of hope and promise. I am no longer a child. I am no longer afraid. Darkness is not as grim anymore, it is just a natural path of life.

“..”  Before we could ponder further…

“Hey, who is there?”, we heard a shout and flashlights flashing in a random manner in our direction from a distance.

Instantly, we slided down from the rocks, pulled on our shoes, “Let’s run!” I grabbed your hand. Whenever you slowed down, I held on to you tighter and encouraged you. We didn’t stop till we reached the safe haven of our cabin in the lodge.

I kept a lookout while you fumbled with our cabin’s lock.

“Calm down. There is no ranger coming after us.”

Ascertained that we have fled from the claws of the park rangers, we burst into a childish and uncontrollable laugh as we entered our cabin.

That night, we chatted and started sipping the wine that we purchased that morning, paired with chips and tapas which Daniel has kindly prepared for us. I note that Daniel also left some samples of the other wines from his vineyard for us to try. Cosiness of the county, friendliness of the people coupled with laid-back culture, has doubled the attractiveness of this place.

Between the white, red and dessert wine, you decided to start with white and end with dessert… 

As soon as you walked into the bathroom, I picked up a pencil and tried to sketch on the blank side of the card that I have prepared earlier. Somehow, I don't seem to get right.. It is much more technical than I thought...

"What are you doing, dear?", I suddenly heard your voice from behind ... I have been caught. You saw what I was doing and smiled... "Here..." You held my hand and added some additional lines... the whole drawing became more animated instantly ... This is your forte ...

Took a quick glance at my watch and started the countdown internally.

The clock striked twelve.

Tomorrow has arrived ... "Happy Birthday, Love!"

I lighted a candle on the cake (which was hidden in the fridge), and sang you a birthday song. I hugged you and presented you with a birthday gift.

Yes, you guessed it tight. I know you caught me missing at the palace. I had placed order but they took a long while to retrieve my order in their massive amount of orders… that resulted in a delay. From the day you told me about the palace, I read up much on it. I decided to get the four-leaf clover rose-gold ring from the palace, as that memento was inspired by the Moorish architecture found literally everywhere in the palace, and it is simple in its design and decorated with various stones. I  specified specifically about the engraving of H&Y on the inside of the round band. Accompanying that is a necklace wihich share the same motif - a necklace which can be looped around your wrist as a bracelet, weave in your long luxurious hair as an accessory, or act a belt. Beautiful. Flexible. Versatile. Just like you. I wanted to get this set for you, the one and only set, from the jewel shop of the palace that you wanted to see so much, for you.

You read my thoughts that I have scribbed on the reverse side of the card...

“Thank you, dear. This is very romantic..” you comment with teary eyes.

“Am I? I don’t know. I thought my romance cells have disappeared. Maybe you have revived them? (I pulled you close.) But I wanted you to know that I penned down my true thoughts, Love. I just revealed my real self to you. I am not being cheesy. “

“I know. I don’t need handwriting analysis to tell how true you are.”

You stood up unexpectedly when we were halfway through our dessert wine. You smiled brightly and invited me to flamenco.

“Have I improved?”, you asked while grinning.

Tonight, you are much more relaxed and swayed more readily to the rhythm ... “You are amazing.”

“I have a good mentor and partner”, your right eye-brow lifted slightly. I laughed. I saw that the liquid courage you consumed brought you a long way. No harm done, as we are in the safety of our cabin.

We did some rounds of flamenco and you insisted that I take the last glass of wine. I listened to you, not only because this is your birthday.

All of a sudden, you leaped onto my lap and pressed a sensual kiss on my lips. I stifled a surprised gasp, fell backwards and we rolled a little. I held you close, returned your passionate kisses, mouths opened, feeling your tongue brushing against mine, feeling my body igniting…

I am the present for you, or is it the other way around?

A rush of ecstasy washed through me, made my heart sang with joy. High on endorphins was my desire to touch you, to feel the softness beneath the smooth layer of cotton. My hands roamed instinctively, explored your heated, damp and bare fresh... moving.. searching for more … I felt my body stiffened as I savoured more of your honey lips. I smiled mentally as your accelerated breath matched up with mine. A kiss like this, coinceded with the exchange of dessert wine, was a promising beginning of much more ... as I continued to be swept away .. my growing primitive desire catalysed the innate urge, pushing it higher, further... my mind being totally intoxicated… 

An abrupt stab of pain pierced through me when my body hit the wooden bed as we had rolled towards it unconsciously. That rude but timely hit knived some much needed logicality into me. I almost lost it just now. I trembled. Though my vision slightly blurry, my insides still in flames, one thing is absolutely clear - You are here with me. In the dazzling moonlight, I read you - that you were incredibly beautiful. No, even the word beautiful couldn't do justice to you, who is the incarnation of inner and outer beauty... however, tonight, you are obviously tipsy too. My lips grazed over your eyelids lightly, felt your lashes fluttered, inhaled you in in proximity.

I sighed out loud.

Gulped multiple shaky and shallow breaths before being able to grab enough will to drag my body away from yours.

I placed you on the bed, covered you up and curled up beside you… gazing at you, in a close range.

Dear Love, I would only take you, when you permit me to wholeheartedly, and definitely not when you are under the influence, irregardless of how hard I need to control myself. Only then, you’ll know, how much I treasure you.