Promise

Distance

 

Buzz.. Buzz..

I staggered, moved gingerly towards my door. The short distance from my room to the door is enough to make me breathless. I slept in all day, after consuming the  combination of sedative drugs and antibotics for my bad flu. I should have ordered some food (or have I?), as I know I need to force some food down before the next round of medication.

 

Di Di..

Who knows my password?  I grabbed a brolly near the door .. while filtering through my groggy memory..

The door opened? That must be… I dropped what I am holding..

You pulled me into a hug, once you got in. How did you?

  

“How are you feeling exactly? You sounded so bad over the phone the last two times we talked. Got me so concerned.”

“How did you?... and you didn’t?.. I thought..”

“You, your voice sounded so coarse. I waited at your door.. So, I tried my door password on your door-lock, and it opened! To your last question, yes, I was supposed to be on a long weekend trip. Anyway, the pyramids have been there for centuries. They can wait. (You looked at me. Ommo, I must look terrible. I still feel horrendous from the serious flu that is in my body.) How are you feeling? (I only heard care, and nothing else.)”

“Uncomfortable. Hot on touch, cold in the inside. Stuffy nose and all.. “

“Have you eaten? Medication?”

“No.. Going to..”

You took a quick glance around. “I’ll get you some food in a while. Go back to bed to have some rest. I’ll be back.”

“My hair must be in a mess, I am in PJ..” You looked at me directly, unfaltered, telling me that you mind my appearance the least.

 

Irritated with myself who is having this illness, I ate in silence and distanced myself in order not to pass any unnecessary virus to you .. When swallowing and keeping the food down took much of my effort and energy, I vaguely saw you busied yourself around this small living space of mine, causing buzzing sounds that was comfortable, yet much unheard of here. How I miss you.. 

That night, I slept in much more comfort, on somehow... much crisper, nicer-smelling and softer sheets.  

My body felt like dead weight for my muscles, but my ears do capture the sounds around me. I do hear keyboard clickings, murmurings over the phone, soft buzzing from the hand held vaccum, door opening and closing..  soft snorings below my bed at times..

I know that you are around me. I feel instantly safe.

I think, after some rounds medication and drifting in and out of sleep …  There was some tappings on the back of my hand. “Love? Love.. “

Rays of the sun found their way into my eyes telling me that its daytime. The pouching hammer on my skull seemed to have lifted considerably.

“Let’s eat something, then you can go back to bed.”

I stretched and realised that the ache that had been bothering my body had mostly vanished too. I breathed more smoothly, and do not feel that cold anymore.

“Your temperature is back to normal this morning and you didn't cough as much last night, compared to the earlier 2 nights.”

“What?”

“Yes” you nodded. “I was wondering if I should call a doctor in to check on you again.” You related as your thumb caressed my cheek.

“Sorry. Because of me, you didn't get to see the pyramids, which you had looked forward to for so long."

“Don’t be silly. The pyramids will always be there, and have been there for so long. I..., we will get a chance to see it. ” I felt you patted my head.

You helped me up. Strangely, I feel good enough, much better in fact. My feet felt the strength that I haven't experienced in days. I bathed and changed. 

In the bathroom, I removed the pair of socks that I was wearing in wonder. Is this pair of socks mine?

 

“Let’s dig in. Bread or milk first?”

I found appetite and re-discovered some taste in food.

"What have you been doing, dear?"

"Cleaning, doing laundry, working, researching, planning for our trip next month.... "

"I should have helped.."

"No worries, it is almost done."

"You know.. for ho..."

"I know, you told me before, you like rooms with ensuite bathroom. Don't worry, it is all taken care of. Just get well really soon! The flight will be more than ten hours, you must get well within the next month!"

"I'll.. Don't worry. Thank you!" my eyes teary, while you dapped them lightly.

I sniff, sniff, “Oh, did you give me this pair of socks?”

“Yes.” You sat by me on the sofa after breakfast. “Your feet were icy cold but they kept sticking out of the blanket, no matter how many times I covered them. Thus, I wrapped them in socks to keep you warm.”

“Oh… that.. that was a habit. Not that I can control it.” I scratched my head.

“You are cute.” You added , “Remember, share with me, when you are happy, sad, even sick… you could have collapsed without anyone knowing.” You looked serious.

“I seen a doctor. I don’t want you to worry during your weekend trip, as you were looking so forward to it.”

“I know you are an adult, but we need each other, take care of each other. I can go on that trip any another time. You are more important.”

I almost cried. Or I did? As you passed me a handy and hugged me.

 

We spent the next two days at home, chatted and caught some recorded programmes, whenever I feel good enough.

“Shall we go to the park too? Get some fresh air?”  

You wrapped me up seriously, cautiously and so meticulously that amused me. We boarded the bus, welcomed the air through the opened windows on the way to the park.

“The scenery and air outside will do you good.”

“Thank you. I don’t know what to add. “

“No need to.” You held my hand tighter. “Just promise me, (hook fingers) tell me if you are unwell next time. (our thumbs met) Yagsog (Promise)."

“Yes. You too.”

“Sure.”

On the bus trip back,  I heard some deep and heavy breathings and felt a weight on my shoulder. I turned slightly to observe the cute puppy who is snoozing on my left. You must have tire yourself out over the past couple of days. I touched your hairline lovingly.

Gradually, the view blurred in front of me too, my hand still holding onto yours.

 

“Where are we now?” I hear your question when I open my eyes.

“I can’t bear to wake you up just now. Then, after that, I think I ...”

We broke into a laugh together.

Looking into each other’s eyes that are beaming in the misty clouds. Foreheads rubbed together, followed by a meeting of our lips (which almost progressed into a summit), on the last second row of the very much empty bus.

Simple, yet comfortable, warm and secure. That is how you made me feel.