1/2 + 1/2 = 1

Distance

 

I strolled up to the third floor, where the lobby of my apartment is.

I saw a postman left the security counter and exit the floor via the other flight of steps that lead to the lobby (before exiting to the carpark).

"Good evening, Itay!"

“Mr Lee!” Itay, the security officer stopped me before I turned into the lift lobby.

“Yes?”

“A parcel for you.”

“Thanks!” I received the parcel from Itay and looked down the building. Through the railings, I saw that the postman was about to take the exit to the carpark. “Thank you, Mr Postman!” I shouted.

The postman turned and smiled.

I waved to him, with a thankful heart.

 

 

The sender’s mailing address – Seoul. So, this is from you.

I skipped back home in no time. I showered and ate in the speed of lightning. Placed the parcel on my laptop desk and opened it carefully. It’s the pyramid that I was looking at longingly at Ssamzigil but didn’t manage to get then. I assembled it cautiously and examined it wonder.

Wonder at how observant you were.

Wonder at how wonderful you are.

A wonder of the ancient world, the Great Pyramid at Giza, feeling, feeling pale in comparison to you, in my eyes.

Some thoughts run through my mind. I booted up my laptop and started to type furiously. I planned to do it last night. Now, I have much more inspiration.

 

Dear Yeong

I received a thoughtful gift in my mailbox from you.

I am sending one to you below too. I can imagine how happy DBS and MH are, and the similar smile on your face. This is my gift to you - Happiness. Welcome to add in your thoughts.

To keep the happy aura here, shall we defer “Help Me” to the next episode?

Hyun

 

Dear Hyun

I am happy that you received what you love to have 😊

They are lovely, aren’t they?

Regardless, they are pale in comparison to the lovely piece (gift) you wrote. I am elated to read it, fully immersed and influenced by their happiness, which is pen down by you.

I know the underlying meaning of your title : 1/2 + 1/2 = 1 Happiness

I have added some parts in purple, which I feel should be there since there is a missing window/afternoon. 

Hope you like it.

PS – I’ll make BiBimBap for you next time, if you like it.

 

Dear Yeong

I am looking forward to your BBB!

 

 

½ + ½ = 1

 

“Here is it, my favourite noodles shop!  Let’s take those window seats. I’ll place our orders.” I ordered almost all the best tasting items here.

I am not really hungry yet as I haven’t got into the habit of having dinner. I just want to come out with you, to enjoy us time together, and to see you.

Glanced around for you while the payment was in process.

I was here alone the last time.

Now, tonight, it is different.

Even I wow in wonder.

I like this, this moment, because you are here. I treasure you.

“Here is your receipt, Sir. We will serve your meal to you in a while. Thank you.”

 

Your noodles are lovely. Mine are great too.

I want to make sure that you try all of the best!

Let’s exchange!

I just want to let you try all the lovely food nice. Why are you whining?

I do not treat you like the girls whom I met in the States back in those days. I have not done this for them, with them. Such comparison kind of annoys me as they are not in the same league as you. They are not even close. Everyone has a thing or two in their past, don’t they? Must you rub on it? Anyway, come to think about it, I didn’t spend any effort on them, or did not need to. I didn’t intentionally go after the bees. Maybe I am just too appealing and attract them like magnets. Sigh. You don’t know how I need to escape and find a detour once in a while to escape from the bees.

 

By the way, what shall we call each other when we are alone? What? We aren’t dating? Then what are we doing now?

Yes, we still banter, but I am very happy that we are together now.

You know - The first meal, first time doesn’t really matter. What matters is that time you spend with the person who mattered. This is what that really matter. Now, really matters.

 

 

This noodle house is coincidentally near to your house.

I suggested after dinner, “Shall we walk home?” Actually, no matter how far it is, I'll still walk with you.

I want to hold your hand, share 3 meals with you, have morning coffee with you, talk to you, see your face, drink you in, spend time with you, know more about you, listen to your voice… Look at your blushing, pretty, cute, funny expressions. I wish to imprint you in my mind. I feel sad every goodbye, and if I can’t recall your look and multiple expressions that when I am not with you. Pictures are not adequate. I want to see you, your face, in person and in my mind.

Police sirens sounded in your neighbourhood. I tighten my hold on to your hand. You have such small hands. Look, dear peanut. Even when you are strong and I know that, you are still someone I want to protect immensely. Don’t chase me home. Don’t wonder around the neighbourhood, will you? Your neighbourhood really bothers me since the bride collector is still at large. I am feeling unusually uneasy as your house is in this neighbourhood.

You are still you. I know that you still have to return home. I walked you right to your door, reminded you not to wonder out alone, see you walk inside, hoping seriously to keep you safe by putting you in my shirt pocket (I hope it’s possible), stood for a while, then walk back.

 

Still not in the mood to rest yet, I doddle your creation on my graphics tablet, polishing and adding some touches on the Bongsooni character, although I know graphics department can do this. I am doing as it is for you, your character. This is the cute miniature of you. How to make it as cute and innocent like you, yet graceful?.. I edit as I draw. .. Completed! Reviewing it.. you are my pride and joy, you really are.

You are consciously in my mind, consciously. Rolling on my bed, I sent you a good night message, “Good night, Bong Bong!”

Are you asleep yet? Will you be asleep yet? I waited anxiously for your reply and what would that be?

“Good night, Min Min!” You are cute! You are great! So good that you almost killed me with that killer cutie expression! I know I must rest now as it is late. Gosh. I can’t take it. I must re-play that expression again! & again.. & again…

That nightmare of you being strangled by that bride collector scared me. Terrified me. Cold sweat streamed down my back in the cold morning. It must not be true. I must ensure that that does not happen.

 

I rushed to office to show you the refreshed BongSooni. You are ecstatic. But why did you whine the size of the eyes and length of the legs? Those are in the perfect golden ratio. I know that I can't draw well but… I can see that you like the updated version. Let’s use it after incorporating the amendments that you had proposed. Yes, you are right. BoonSooni is a normal character. The imperfections in the character let the public empathise with her more readily. 

I go patrolling the premises which is part of my daily routine (timing differs daily, of course). 

I heard that you are looking for me. I called you and pulled you in. “This is our new seminar room. It’ll be empty today.” You are exceptionally beautiful today. Something got caught in my throat, trapped in my heart.

The morning nightmare would not haunt or deter me. I enclosed you at a corner and declared - I would protect you like this. So that the world can’t touch you. I’ll keep you safe. You said you needed time before. How is your considerations getting along? When will you give me your reply? How about .. Now?

I see your cheerful eyes and beaming smile.

Ah! You are too easy to read. I read your positive answer, instantly and clearly. That’s a YES! 100% YES!

My heart melted. Your sweet smile has just climbed in intensity. You are seriously driving me crazy. My heart flutters and works on overdrive when you smile (like this) to me.

You are dragging me out of the room. No, we are not done yet. I pull you back towards me instead. I feel like.. I want to.. I hope.. I swallowed.. (No, this is not the right venue) I switched location and kissed your forehead instead. Ka ja! Let’s go out today. It’s too bright a day to stay in office.  

I brought you to one of my favourite seaside places, using ‘first team building workshop’ as the excuse.

Brilliant view. Right person.

While I am lost in you, you are lost in work.

You repeatedly brought me back to present, but I kept getting lost in you. I am so distracted.

My mind is in pieces now…

Can we work here? Work now? Can you? I can’t. You are so appealing. You are killing me with your charm. I am going crazy. I don’t know where to put my hands. Gosh, I feel so hot. I can’t stand it. I need to take a breather to regain some self-control. Unbelievable, my supposedly ‘brilliant plan’ backfired again. I thought we can come out for a date, in the end, you really wanted to work. Darn me. I must be too convincing. Still, I need to go out.

‘Workshop, my foot!’ I cursed myself.

 

Strolling in the near winter weather, it is hot, still hot.

YA! Don’t scare me with the fishes. They are still jumping and alive.

We sauntered around. You looked so happy with the seagulls, seaside.. Why aren’t the seagulls coming near us, then at least I can take a picture of you feeding them.. What’s the charm with this place? I am still upset with myself.

You seem to be happy and playing.. This place is a very quiet sea town. I usually only come here to look at the sea, looking for inspirations, alone.

But today, now, (gone was the upset feel), I find myself smiling, taking selfies, .. as you are here.  Even small things like tying your shoelaces for you is doing funny things to my heart.

You are absolutely stunning, incredibly lovely…. I can’t take my eyes off you… I have to keep my hands in my pockets, close to myself..

 

 

We reached the beach, with the fine grains of sand massaging our soles.

The rhythmic waves are inviting, luring us to wet our feet in the cold waters!

We ambled along the coastline. Although the water was cold, you didn’t forget to play the splashing game.

Come nearer to me, dear. I hold you before you get too close to the waves and risk falling into the icy water. The water is way too cold, you’ll catch a serious flu if you fall in.

I looked around and saw some branches. I took one and doddle on the sand.

I drew half of a heart.

I stood at the end of the partial heart and invited you, “Bong Soon ah. I am standing here. Can you come to me?” My nervousness gathered speed. My anticipation gradually built up.

I knew that you heard me. You stood for a second. You approached, picked up another random branch, completed the other half of the heart on the sand, and reached me at the end of the completed heart, right in front of me.

You have finally come to me, by yourself.

I am touched.

We got closer. I looked into your eyes with clear intent. My head near you, forehead close, chest rose as I drew a deep breath before I close in, gently, and ... our lips met. My heart is pumping out of its range. That’s so sweet, warm, shattering... the world spinning...

I gazed at you in much wonder. The moment of absolute admiration. I thought I had forgotten to breathe, and my heart had stopped.

The world could be huge, but now, only you matter.

I closed in for a second time. This time, your hands wound round my neck. We breathed each other in, even closer, warmer, cosier.

Your face is like the rosiest of apples, when we finally let each other go.

 

We took a picture with our completed heart before it gets too cold.

"The heart is loopsided", you commented.

"The perfectness is here (I held both your hands), not on the sand." I replied.

 

We walked back to the retreat place.

“Are you hungry?”, you asked, “You haven’t had anything today.”

I nodded.

“What would you like to have?”

I thought for a while. “That food that I didn’t get to eat in the hospital.” I gave you a cute and pitiful look. That caused you to laugh instantly. “Come, let’s go.”

We bought ingredients from the shops.

You are making the famous BiBimBap in the kitchen. Frying the ingredients, mixing the sauces.. “Although we couldn’t get the usual brand of sesame oil and soya sauce that I use at home here, I think it will not taste too bad.”

I wound my arms round you from behind and placed my chin on your shoulder. “Everything by you is lovely.” I feel your shivers instantly.

“You are cheesy”, your stammers gave your true feelings away.

I removed the spatula which you were holding and turned you around. I searched deep into the depths of your eyes, “I am speaking the truth.”

“I .. I believe you.”

I stole a kiss that left both of us disorientated.

You teared from the rush of emotions. I shared that too. Tenderly, I dabbed the tear off your lovely eyes with my thumb.

“Let’s start eating”, you said, “Don’t go hungry.”

I looked at the spread. You are amazing, do you know?

 

Dinner was fun. We shared anecdotes and fun stories.

“Tell me about your friends.” I asked as you passed me a heap spoon of well-mixed BBB.

“I have more competitors and enemies than friends. Tell me about you, your bestie?”

You look dreamy and joyful. “KS, is the best of the bestie. (you laughed) She is my only friend since I was young. You know, I am very much stronger than others since infancy. All leave me alone, as I am not smart and too strange. Actually, I am not strange or peculiar, just that I need to hide my immense strength. For that, I dare not venture out too much, thus, I was very much isolated, alone on my one-man island with no/few to talk to. (I walked over and took the seat beside you. I pulled you into my arms while you continued.) Then, KS accidentally knew about me. She is not afraid and stayed with me. My family treat her as family too. In fact, she could be more like my mum’s daughter than me. She has been with me till now. Eat together, play together, sleep together, cry together (you seem to recall your saddest moments. I patted your back lightly. You have me now. I dried your tears with my sleeves.), know each other's strengths and secrets.."

"Secrets?"

"All of us have some."

"Yes, agree. Like your strength.."

"and your secret playground..."

"your heroic act at 18..."

"and the hooded angel who is guarding your playground.."

Yes, we know very much about each other.

"You said that the massive strength run in the female line of your family. Why don't I see your mother with such immense strength?"

"Omma... In her younger days, she used her strength not for justice but to gain an inappropriate amount of fame and valuables. Thus, her immense strength was taken away from her."

"Will that happen?"

"Apparently so. Halmoni said based on family history, our strength will also be taken away from us if we hurt the good. No one who had lost the strength got it reinstated, as far as I know. In my much younger days, when I felt so isloated, it had crossed my mind to just do this something, so that I could become a normal person."

"You didn't and wouldn't do that, as you are kind by nature." I know this kind nature of yours, which came from your Dad.

I patted your hand affectionately while you continued, "KS. She doesn't mind my strength and clumsyness - as I do hurt her and myself at times. With a confidant like her, things are not looking that gloomy anymore. I really treasure our friendship. We kept in close touch although she followed her family’s shift to Busan in our late teens. Teenage girls then, we cried the whole night. Her family business moved to Busan, so she had to shift to. Fortunately, she drops by Seoul every holiday.”

“Sorry, I don’t mean to make you cry.”

You shook your head. “KS is a friend, great friend. I treasure her.” You sniffed and cleared your tears.

You are only physically strong. Deep down, I can see that you still have an innocent and emotional mind.  

You turned to look at me. “I treasure you too.”

I smiled. My vision clouded instantaneously. “Me too. I’ll shield you from any harm that is coming your way, with all I can.”

 

I feel your thumb on the corner of my eye. “Come, let’s finish the food. It is getting late.”

I know, we need to head back soon. Time flies faster when one feels lighter.

I helped with the clean-up since you did the cooking.

 

I drove at a leisure speed.

I opened the car door for you with much fanfare. I want to do what all boyfriends will do. I want to do it all, give it all.

Is this the end of the workshop? You asked.

Oh yes, we didn’t complete the presentation. You’ll need to work through the night to finish the preparation. Sorry. I feel so guilty. Like a little boy. I sheepishly admitted that I had inadvertently distracted you and… Miane. Please forgive me.

 

Please go in..

You go in first..

No, you go in first.

Your smile is the sweetest. I stared at you within close range. Wanting to see and drink you in completely. I have no immediate plans to leave here ..

This is missing you. This is longing. This is love?

 

Bong Soon ah..

I feel serious and melancholic at the same time. Sometimes I want to see you so badly, but I can’t remember your face after I closed my eyes. I’ll feel blue when that happens.

Your eyes wide open, twinkling. You are taking in and also taken aback by my confession. Yes, a man, no matter how capable, has tender spots. I am not shy to reveal my shortcomings to you.

Let me look at you like this just a little more. Just a little while longer. We didn’t move. Just staring at each other. I feel you, my girl, right in front of me now.

I am incredibly touched, especially today. This is right off my mind. Thank you for appearing and walking into in my life. Thank you. I am eternally grateful.

 

It is really late now. You should go in now although I really hope that you don't need to..

Bye.

I watched you walked right through your door. Stood a little while more. There will be little sleep tonight.

 

보고싶어 (Bogoshipuh. I miss you), my dear peanut.