Prelude to the Battle

Distance

 

 

 

 

Dear Hyun

Their fight last week told a lot. It meant they are principled, respect while not afraid of each other, willing to go all out to protect each other.

 

Dear Yeong

In love, there is not only sweetness, there is bitterness and frustration as well.

Yes, that was a turning point, a realisation. With all those as foundation, their relationship will continue, and strengthen.

 

 

Episode 14 – Prelude to the Battle

 

I opened my eyes.

It was dark.

I am on a couch. I watch you, eyes closed, breathing deeply, right in front of me.

I realised where I am.

You have been so good to me. Knowing who I am and not treat me like a freak. You have accepted me so wholeheartedly, almost unconditionally. But I? & this is the nth time that you have saved me. I hope you were not injured by KIM just now.

Those mean words that I said must have hurt you so much. I am sorry.

I wanted to touch your face. My fingers trembled above your face but retreated. I shall not wake you. Let you rest.

I tried to sit up. At that moment, I felt your hold and I fell backwards, right into your arms, facing your soulful eyes.

I looked at you.

I am so in love with you. You are so in my heart. The realisation shook me instantly.

Holding you dear, hence hoping that you be safe and well. 

To convince you, I touched your chest, where your heart resided, I added, “You are in my heart.”  I empty my heart, being totally bare and honest with myself, with you.

“Saranghanda.” You confessed.

The tensions and fighting evaporated.

That night, we held our love tight.

 

Faint light shone on me.

I woke up after two long naps.

 

You are finally asleep.

I watched you for a while. Touched your features tenderly, hands shook in that process.

I covered you with the same blanket that you covered me with and left for the kitchen.

I stared at my hands, “Did I really lose it?”

I took an apple and glass. I tried making my hand squeezed apple juice but to no avail.

It’s final. I just confirmed that.

You walked in.

I tried to be normal.

You acted normal too. You just juiced the apple from the juicer (and didn’t ask me why I am not juicing it) and gave it to me (reminding me that I was the one who told you an apple each morning makes one healthy. That was months ago and you remembered), sent me home to meet KS as I wished to, take care of the innocent man whom I had injured… everything as I wish, not yelling me at me for not listening, for running away from you; just helping me, saving me, caring for me…

If there is anyone I could thank, I thank you, for being here, for loving me, as me.

 

Yes, I’ll take care of you too.

 

I am elated to see KS again, that she is safe again. We had breakfast together and I sent her home. Called her mum to inform her that KS is going home.

Omma. I didn’t recall speaking to Omma on such a serious topic for such a long time, and the insights that she had shared with me. So, she cared more for Bong Ki as he is weaker, not because I am the potential trouble maker. Why didn’t you tell me earlier?

Yes, I’ll pick myself up from here. Now, finally, I am a normal person, like I have always wished to be. I am not used to it yet, and is not feeling right yet. Uncomfortable. But I’ll try.

First, I’ll do what a normal person will, changing and leaving for work. Taking a baby step a time. With time, I’ll get accustomed to it.

Being knocked down at the bus stop, bullied by Team Leader Bok, are the usual stuff. Things will get better, will be normalised. I told myself.

Seeing you, is like seeing a safe haven. I admitted that I am not well yet, but I’ll take a step at a time. I am no longer spectacular but only normal now. We can now date like what the rest do. That got you so happy. I love that goofy smile on your handsome face, especially when that smile is for me.

That smile, is reflected and mirrored as radiantly on my face. I can feel that.

I had a suspicion for a long time. This is one of the few things that you have been so evasive about. Something seemed iffy, not right .... You bragged about many good things about yourself but never mentioned this. “Are you my Oppa? We are of the same age.” I throw a bait, waiting for the fish to be take the bite an d get hooked.

You were all worked up and complained, “That’s why I said the police can’t be trusted!...”

OmmO! I caught you!  So, I am correct. You let the cat’s tail out of the bag while you were in the hospital. You have finally confirmed it now. What’s so wrong of being the same age? Yes, you are mentally more matured than me… But I am still going to use banmal with you.

YA! Min Hyuk! Haha..

The big smile on your face. Incredibly charming!

 

We created a villain that looked exactly like Sec Gong. Amazing!

We strolled, ate, talked, giggled like what a normal couple would. All those were simple, daily, almost routine.

So this is what ‘normal’ felt, a notion, a luxury, that I never had, wanted to have and is adjusting to now.

I observed you. The way you looked at me, held my hand, touched my face, the way you made me feel, is no different from the past. You are telling me that - I am still me, you are still you, we are still us. The emotions that are connecting us together are the same, with or without my strength.

I got the lovely chocolates that I had always wanted to try. I teased you and got the first piece. You adorably stole a kiss and the second piece of chocolate from me right in front of that Chocolate shop. You did it on purpose, didn’t you? What am I going to do with you?

 

Back home, I kept away the Strength Journals which I didn’t get to write much on.

I lost spectacularity and found ordinariness. Something which I had I craved for, something I am learning to embrace.

This is a weird feeling, after so many years of being different, being overly strong, and now, I am typical, just like everyone else.  

The people who are dear to me are around. KS is safe. I have you. I smiled at that thought.

I beamed at your message reminder of our picnic tomorrow. I smiled in happiness. You, my happy pill, clears the grey clouds away instantly. What should I do without this brilliant sunshine?

I woke up especially early the next day - cut, cooked and prepared an elaborate lunchbox for us. Took time to sift through my wardrobe for the perfect outfit.

Our gazes locked at my gate. You looked dreamy. “Shall we go?” You stood for a while before we walked to your car. You switched on the car radio, and even hummed in the car on the way to the picnic ground. Min, do you know? You are really adorable.

Again, I tasted the sweetness of being in love. Talking, laughing, eating, caring, little gestures for each other, ..

I have never been so happy and contented in my life.

 

Life is gradually getting back to routine. Working, dating, .. When I see the needy who needed help which I couldn’t now, I still try to assist (with much less effectiveness though) .. If only.. I can’t have everything, I know.

 

I dropped my glass after putting down the phone. That.. No, it wouldn’t be a bad omen.  I am just being clumsy.

The alarms sounded. There is a suspicious character in the building? Would it be?

You ran in. Kim is alive? ALIVE? Shivers shook my nerves instantly.

Min, be careful. I watched you left but couldn’t stop you. The only thing I could do now is not to burden you or get in your way. I am going to left the building now.

And I was.. knocked out..

And tied to the pipes.. and ..

“Bong Soon! Are you in there? Answer me if you are in there.” I heard your cries.

I heard you shouting for me. I woke and saw a time bomb tied on me.

“You shouldn’t stay here. Please leave.” Else you will be killed.

“Please leave. There is a time bomb here. It is igniting soon! Please leave!” I am tied here. You are outside. Don’t die here.  “PLEASE LEAVE!”

I still hear your voice. Why are you still outside? Leave now when there is still some time. I don’t want you to die. Is there anything that could help me get out of this now, at this moment? I can’t (let you) die. Just like this.

I hear you banging, knocking and hacking the door.

“Leave now, please!”  I screamed. There isn’t much time left now, Min. Leave me now. Else, you will die.

I kept pulling the duck tape, dragging it, hoping it will break. Angry and anxious tears fell. Why are you still outside? “Min, please leave. There isn’t much time left. Please leave! LEAVE!” I plead with you. So this is how it feels when I refused to listen to you? How anxious you were? I am sorry, so sorry.

“Where would I go?”

I continued to hear knocks on the door.

If only, I have enough strength, or some means to break off the chains…

“Please leave. Please!”

“I am not going to leave you alone! Let’s leave together.”

I kept looking, looking for something, anything.. that could stop you (us) from the impending perishment. 

“You really don’t listen to me.“

“There isn’t much time left. Please leave! Please! I beg you. Please. “

I shake my head. Please leave here, okay? I beg you, Min. I beg you.

“Never. Bong Soon, I have something to say. “ Min, don’t talk anymore. Please leave now, else you can’t even get to the door and the bomb will go off.

I really cannot see or reach anything that can get me out of these chains now. I am screaming hysterically internally, hands shaking… I can only ask you to leave, now. There’s really not much time left. Please leave! Okay! (I am begging you now). If you drag any longer, you may not have time to reach the exit.

“I am not leaving. I’ll stay next to you. Don’t be scared. Do you understand?”  Why wouldn’t you leave? Min, please don’t die.

I pulled. I dragged. I continued to struggle, but nothing budge. NOTHING! That’s seriously frustrating. Why can’t I do something, anything? Anything!

I cried, continued crying, crying for you, a love whom I can’t save.

“Please.. Please save me. Please help me save that person! PLEASE!” I cried frantically, in a desperate and possibly final call to save you. I cried to my Ancestors, God, Almighty, who-ever is listening. I’ll give up anything, everything, if only you help me save the person, the person at the door. PLEASE. I’ll do anything you want me to, just tell me. Save him first. PLEASE. I plead. NOW.

 

Unexpectedly, I feel some new energy infused in my limbs.

Have I gotten my immense strength back? Have I?

In the nick of time, I torn the duck tape, cracked the locked chains, broke open the door and threw the bomb high and far into the endless space.

I saw you again.

This is the man. My man. A man who will not leave me, never leave me alone, regardless of circumstances.

I hugged you, thankful for your life, while the bomb exploded in the dark sky.

I poured out my tears in your arms, cried like there is no tomorrow.

We hugged each other tight, relieved to be together again.

How I treasure you. How silly am I, only to realise the intensity now.

 

 

 

 

I screamed hysterically.

 

I checked your pulse, which seemed stable. No apparent injuries. No broken bones. I sat and calmed down a short moment. I checked the vitals of the injured and called the ambulance.

I carried you into my car. Dialled for a familiar doctor to meet at my house.

Waited for the paramedics and police to arrive at the construction site before I drove off.

 

We reached home. The doctor is already waiting at the gate.

I placed you on the living room couch. Upon her preliminary check, she advised that you have suffered some bruises and knocks, and fortunately there was no fractures or serious injuries. Currently, you are just in a deep slumber. Her words confirmed that my diagnosis is right. Why did you suddenly fall asleep?  If you feel uncomfortable after waking up, she’ll drop by to check on you again. I thanked her and sent her out.

 

You are sleeping so soundly.

Light as a feather.

Small as a peanut.

I can just carry you into my playground, placed you right on my favourite couch, covered you with a blanket, the one that you have used before.

Was it that long ago that you were here, utilised this blanket, talked about ghost, overtook and won me in my VR game..  So much had happened in a span of months. Now, you occupied the entire me. You had made that happen, only you could.

Watching you rest, I didn’t even blink, seeing you are really here, listening to your even breathings, proved that you are really here. That shelved my days of torment aside. I’ll wait for you to open your eyes, talk to you, to be doubly sure that you are well.

I suddenly recalled that it is late and your Dad must be worried. I called to assure Dad that you are okay. I’ll send you home tomorrow. Trust me, Dad. I know he trusted us.

I called the hospital to check the condition of KS and the injured construction site guard.

 

Knelt in front of you and felt your forehead again. Thankfully, your temperature is normal.

It has been a long day. My body is weary too. As you are not occupying the entire couch, I lie down on the couch, facing you. Looking at your face so closely, in such close range and drinking in all the fine details. How terrified you must have felt just now. How hard you fight to protect who you love. How strong and resilient you are. This is you. The tiny peanut who is so passionate and loyal to who and what you treasure.

Tiny peanut, don’t leave me again. I touched your fringe tenderely. Stay with me. I don’t want to wake up to not see you here.

I closed my eyes, mind still processing, breathing you in, calming down, rewinding, waiting for you to open your eyes.

 

You moved. You shifted. You sat up. I felt all your movements.

I pulled you back onto the couch, settling your head cosily on my right arm.

I opened my eyes, “Please look at me.”

“I am looking at you.” Yes, please.

“Please love me.“

“I am in love with you.” Tear fell from your eyes.

“You are like a tiny peanut. I can keep you in my heart. But I don’t think I’m in your heart.” Am I? After these few days of stand-off, I am.. am no longer that certain.. Maybe I just need to hear it, rather than just reading it.

You gently touched my chest, where my heart is, and I heard your whispher, “You are in my heart.”

I am touched. I received my confirmation, certain and clear.

I feel tears falling from my eyes, “Saranghanda.” You are the one and only whom I hold so dear.

I pulled you close, hugged you tight, hearts beating against each other’s chest. The tension and pent up emotions from the past couple of days dissipated and vaporised as we cocooned in each other’s strength and warmth. Then, we feel, the love we have for each other.

The love to protect. So similar.

The love not to let each other be in harm’s way. So intense.

The love for each other. So robust.

We are so alike in so many ways.

We fell asleep.

Finally resting, after so many days.

 

I jolted awake.

ALONE.

You are not with me.

“Bong Soon!”

Did you leave? I searched around for you. I see that you can’t make your signature hand squeezed apple juice.

My hypothesis is right. You lost your strength last night. That put you into a deep sleep.

You didn’t mention. So, I didn’t bring that up too. That strength is not utmost important. You are. As long as you are alright, nothing else matters. Let me lighten and ease your mood a little.

If you want juice, I’ll make it from the juicer.

If you want jam, I’ll open the jam jug.

I’ll be your Oppa, your additional pair of hands.. I’ll help you.

I can see from your eyes that miss KS, and also need rest, I’ll check on the condition of the caretaker of the construction site for you. Go do what you need to now. Just remember to come back to me, take care of me too.

 

 

That chocolates must be lovely as you craved so much for it, even after a sumptous dinner.

Although you teased me and robbed me of the first piece of treat, I returned the favour with a treat (kiss) for you (or me?), as well as a piece of chocolate for myself. That’s so soft. You prepared it especially for me, didn’t you? Thank you for the double treats, Bong Bong.

I held your hand and walked on. Happily.

 

 

We worked, dated, and do what ordinary couples would do in the coming days.

Seeing you the first thing when I arrived at work..

Clipping and brainstorming ideas together to make BongSooni more interesting..

Sharing the extraordinary lunchboxes you made..

Spending time together, picnic, fishing, ..

Teasing you, seeing your laugh and smiles.. Being teased, but never annoyed..

When problems popped up at work, I work on solving them. Face them head on like usual. But I feel lighter now and I remember - when life give me lemons, I should laugh it off. Withholding any form of frustration and sadness will only drag me down, which is counter-effective. Why did I take so long to realise that simple fact?

Holding your hand, having dinner before walking you to your door… Slowly waving the evil shadow that was casted by the bride collector away..

Standing by your gate while you closed the front door, wondering what you be doing, paced around the vicinity for a while before leaving..

That’s how much longing I feel.  What should I do with myself?

 

You are resilient, passionate, kind, sweet, considerate, filled up all the intangible parts of me that made me feel complete, feel whole. It’s like I exist, as you do. You are already spectacular, even without the extraordinary strength which in some point in time, alienated you from the rest.

Seeing you brings an instant smile to my face, no matter how hard is my day could be.

You lifted me up so high and far, that I could reach the sky and touch the ocean.

My world is coloured in your scent, that is so warm and inviting. You colour my world with such brilliant colours and smiles. I’ll bring you those brilliant colours that you showered me with, to enhance your beauty, and add radiance to your brilliances.

My heart is full to the beam with you, with the glow and joy of being with you. I’ll give the same love to you.

I love you, just like this. Everyday. Every moment.

Now, normalcy is happiness at its best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BedGQvJruq4

 

 

I am busy. Why do you keep calling me, troublesome cop? Kim has sneaked into my kingdom? Damn it.

“A suspicious character got into Ainsoft. Close all exits, NOW!“ I yelled into the phone.

I went through the CCTV footage and confirmed that it is really Kim INDEED, and a very much alive one. Since he dares to sneak in, he’ll not leave as a free man. I’ll apprehend him at all costs, considering what he did to you. That BASTARD.

I dashed back to my office, ensuring that you are alright.

Yes, I knew you must be guessed it. Yes, KIM is not died and he has sneaked into Ainsoft.

We heard over the PA system - “Ahn Min Hyuk. You are a gamer, right? Now, play my game. I’ll not give you much time though. If you don’t catch me in 15 mins, I’ll blow up your building.”

Kim has just issued a personal challenge to me. A personal feud, I see. So that’s how that feels, when he challenged you, a personal feud.

I looked at you, on the tensed and concerned expression written all over your face.

You held my hand as I left. My fingers closed on yours.

I promise you, I’ll be careful. I gave you all the assurance I have. I’ll try to thwart his plans and also catch him alive, without getting hurt. Don’t worry about me but you must evacuate first. Help me, by keeping yourself safe.  I got Sec Gong, who is an ex-marine, to protect and you out.

This time, I’ll get KIM for the good of all.

I set my stop watch on the way out. 15 minutes.

 

First, I released the employees in the broadcast room.

Next, I need to get everyone out first. I announced through the PA system calmly, “This is Ahn Min Hyuk. We have a real situation here. Please save your work now and exit the server that you are using and leave the building orderly. I repeat… “

Third, “GD, Bong Soon is in my office. Go, keep her safe.” I’ll feel more assured with GD, in addition to Sec Gong, with you.

 

Now, the hunt starts.

Glanced at my stop watch, while formulating a plan in my mind. This is my turf, I know this place better than anyone else.  Yes, off the lights first. I’ll then get a comparative advantage. Every second KIM lost while searching in the dark is time gained for me.

 

“Control room, switch off all the lights in the building.” I know all the levels, rooms and exits even with my eyes closed, but not him. KIM, I am coming for you.

 

Time check - 10 more minutes.

Think. Where would KIM be, at this moment, while I checked every room.

 

6 minutes left. Where is KIM? Where?

My phone rang. What? Bong Soon is missing. Damn it. I lost you too.

It is a diversion, a trap, and I fell for it. Damn it.

I tracked down your location.  You are in the rooftop. “The rooftop. Let’s go save her.”

 

I dashed up to the roof top.

I shouted for you but didn’t get any reply.

“Bong Soon. BONG SOON!” I screamed at the top of my voice.

 

4 minutes left.

Bong Soon, where are you? There are not so many places in the roof to. Why is the equipment/machine room chained from the outside? That’s not usual.

“Bong Soon! Bong Soon ah! Answer me if you are in there.”

I knocked on the door and shouted loudly.

Are you there? Are you inside? Answer me.

I hear your voice and screaming from the other side of the door.

“You shouldn’t stay here. Leave!”

“Bong Soon ah! I’m right here. I’m here.”

I banged, knocked and kicked, attempting desperately to get through the metal doors and locked chains numerous times.

I continued banging the door. I fell and attempted again.

“Please just leave!”

“Bong Soon! Boon Soon ah!”

“There is a time bomb here.” Damn it. That bastard.

In this grave situation, I would just try anything.

More bangs and kicks later, I fell to the ground, drained.  My body shaking, my bones protesting and hurting from the impacts. Hand bleeding from pulling the chains. But nothing works. Think, Min Hyuk, think. What else can I do?

“Please leave!” you were crying. That pained me more than my bleeding hand.

Good times, sadly, really doesn’t last long. I been there decades ago, and now again. I smiled sadly, more resigned.

“Where would I go?”

I continued to bang the door, attempting to break through it.

“Please leave! Please leave!”  

I heard your continued cries and sobbing, so sad and bitter that my heart would heart would break. I know we felt the same. Facing the situation, engaging the same fate. “I’m not going to leave you alone. Let’s leave together. “

I (we) don’t submit readily.

Exhausted.

Tried every possibility and whatever I can and could.

However, if this is really it .. then, “Bong Soon ah! Don’t cry!” Although tears welled in my eyes.

“Please just leave..”

“You never listen to me.” I wouldn’t leave you. I sniffed. You never listen to me. Do you think I’ll listen to you now?  I know there isn’t much time left. I don’t need to glance at my stop watch to know. I still hear your voice now. Don’t beg me to leave, as I wouldn’t leave when you are still locked inside.

I shook my head. Where should I go? Where can I go? There is no where else that I want to be, don’t you see? As where you are is where I would be, where I want to be. Don’t you understand?  “I’m never going to leave you alone. Never.” You will never be isolated ever again.  Don’t cry, my love. I am here, right here with you.

“Bong Soon ah! I have something to say.”

“Please leave! I beg you. There isn’t much time left. Please leave! LEAVE! Okay?” You cried loudly, heart-broken.

I climbed up. Using the final bit of breath and energy, I climbed up. Although my bones seemed to be in different places from the numerous knocks to break through the metal doors and chains.

“I’m not leaving. I’ll stay next to you. Don’t be scared. Do you understand?”

I tried breaking the door open for the last time. I failed.

Dragged and pulled the stubbornly locked chains.

I collapsed onto the floor. Am I to accept the eventuality now?

I cried for you. 

Is this the end? Would that be? But at least, we still have each other.

“Please.. Please save me. Please help me save that person!” I heard you.

Don’t cry, my baby. I am here. I’ll wait for you.

 

“Get off!” Suddenly, the chains the metal doors broke, you dashed out and threw the bomb into the sky.

It exploded.

We hugged tight, relieved to be in your arms, and surrounded by your scent again. We shall never part again, Bong Bong. I can’t survive without you.

 

 

Dear Hyun

That was fast paced.

That was touching.

I love it.

In the end, was that a bomb? Or fireworks?

 

Dear Yeong

Yes, I agree with your sentiments.

From how I see it, that was fireworks. Maybe that was more readily available than a bomb? But to the person who is tied with it, being burnt could do far more damage than death as high degree burnt are hard to treat and recover.

 

Dear Hyun

Yes, I am glad that our protagonists did not have to go through that path.

 

I received your email and heard my phone rang.

“It’s me”

I know. I smiled in response.

You continued, “Min Hyuk did it before. Now, he is doing it again. He gave Bong Soon’s location to GD, so that they save her. He is not possessive per se. He is doing all he can to save her.”

“Yes, Min Hyuk is rational, almost whichever the situation he is being thrown in. “

“He is also no one-man show. He fights with his fists and mind. He is a knight who know his limitations, who thinks and formulates plan to increase his chances of winning. “

“That’s training. That’s also his nature.”

“Why? How could he be so calm? So composed?”

I heard that question from you before, and now again. “You asked me that before. I said I’ll think about it. I’ll tell you, when I figure it out.”

“Although it is dramatic for her to lose and regain her strength all in 1 hour, I am glad that’s how it was written.”

“We said about this Leucippus’s quote before - Nothing occurs at random, but everything for a reason and by necessity. Now, there is a valid reason for her to have her strength, and use it appropriately, that’s why she is regaining it.”

“This time, she finally realised the importance of it and had begged for it. She'll not be taking it for granted and will embrace it. The yearning to save him revive her strength. Agree that there is a purpose to everything. This is not a coincidence, just like saving him way in his much younger days. This is a message, it is the power to love and protect, to do that, you need the essential – strength, to do it. As she comprehended it, it was bestowed on her again. She would have to use it to help others from now.”

Our conservation continues, deep into the night…