Surprise

Distance

 

 

I woke to the delicious smell of warm bread that wafted through the aisles of the cabin; loud and excited conversations of fellow passengers echoed all around me, in English and a foreign language that I don’t comprehend.

I held on to my ticket and beamed.

I’ll be reaching in a couple of hours.

Finally, I said to myself.

In the vast world out there, with zillions of accounts, billions of people, millions of photographers and viewers, our parallel universe crossed at this time point, not once, but twice.

Like the originally covered parts of the warcraft map, the black patches are gradually lifted, unveiling the entire world map, showing the locations of the of the human inhabitants of Azeroth, and also the stronghold of the enemies (Orcs).

“I am telling you now so we will not miss this precious moment, this timing, this special feel about you, about us.”

You voice still ringed in my ears, resulting in much warmth on my cheeks.

“Can you come to me? Please?”

I thought about it. I pulled up my biggest courage. I decided.

Yes, I am walking (flying) towards to you now.

I crossed continents, oceans, engaged multiple transits, crossed various checkpoints, traced the way you took when you came to me. My heart packed to the brim with the hope and love that you showered me with. Finally, I told myself. At last. Falling towards you.

 

“How much more time do we have to spend looking, finding, bridging?”

Like being into a whirlpool of emotions that I have yearned for, I was not able to deny you, or us.

My hands held yours tight.

I felt my tears fell, with eyes still in line with yours.

You pulled me close. I hid in your neck with your chin just resting above my head, with my eyes closed, breathing you in. My hands trembling, gradually moved to hold your waist.

A deadlock hug. Shuddering. Warm.

Words didn’t come, needn’t come.

 

I shoke my head, trying to shake some senses into myself again.

I looked at the hot and fluffy bread served, the thought about honey and thin slices of butter came into my mind.

“Any beverage to go along with your breakfast?” asked the air stewardess cheerfully.

“Can I have a coffee, please?” I replied cheerfully.

 

 

I walked into a modern-looking arrival hall, with classy marble floor-to-ceiling finish, where I queued to get my passport stamped. The Customs officers asked some random questions while checking the passports. The queues were cleared at a pretty fast speed.

I have to walk downslope towards the exit, before I could make my way out. Along the way, I imagined your expression, when you saw me, (How bright will your smile be? How surprised will you be?) and we could spend your birthday together.

Sweltering heat, scorching sunshine, welcomed and accompanied me, all the way from the Arrival Hall to your residence.

That was a rather long ride. I breathed in the warm and utterly dry air while admiring the hectares of yellow, barren, and powdery landscape. Looked wild, deserted, yet warm and unique.

 

I viewed and admired the tall apartment building that is facing the Mediterranean Sea as I alighted from the vehicle. This is where you stay. There are a couple of other buildings and a mall nearby. Guessed it provided the convenience that you needed.

I hopped up the stairs with the huge haversack hanging on my back. I pressed on the intercom device but there was no reply from your unit.

There was a security counter beside the lifts. “May I check if Mr Lee from unit #15-01 is at home?”, I asked the security guard.

“He has gone out. Should be back soon. Take a seat there to wait.” He pointed at the sofa behind some ornamental plants, which is on the opposite side of the lifts. There was some magazines there too.

 

 

“Thank you.” Another guard joined him, seems like their discussion is on some lift maintainance issue.

 

'You asked me why I suddenly returned? To be true, I have been asking myself that too. Till now, I realised. I am back as I need to.. I want to .. see you."

 

Fond memories flooded my entire mind. I fanned my cheeks.

I shivered, still quivered at the memory of your words.

Hope this is a pleasant surprise for you.

 

“Yeong, I saved this last pair of watches for you. From your longing look then, I know you will be back to get them. You have returned sooner than I have expected. Please check the engraving on the watch too.”

 

I felt the gift box in the corner of my haversack. Utterly satisfied that I got the exact present that I thought you will like.

With nothing else that I could do, I took a seat and flipped through the magazines.

“Mr Lee. You are back! “ How many Lees could there be in a foreign land? I turned and saw you walked into view, through the leaves of the ornamental trees.

As my foot stepped forward, I heard the guard said, “Mrs Lee, Lee Junior, I see that you are back from shopping. Mrs Lee, how’s Lee junior today?” From the partial view, I can see that a pretty lady beside you, Mrs Lee, I supposed and a kid.

“He is fine. We are going up to put down our things first, before going out for some food.” The lady replied and exited from my view.

Dumbfounded.

Frozen.

There was only some décor plants and a sofa between us. But you already felt miles away.

What have I gotten myself into?

“Mr Lee, your friend is looking for you. She is at the visitors’ area.”

I stepped backwards and knocked into the sofa.

Our eyes met briefly through the leaves of the ornamental plants.

This was way beyond my expectations.

I didn’t see wrongly. That is you.

I didn’t hear wrongly too.

Hot tears were already looming and weighing heavily in my eyes. The entire doom of alienation feelings recurred and was about to avalanche. I have to hold it in now. I couldn’t let it go, I couldn’t fall .. I needed to exit before my vision blurred as my heart cracked..

I picked up my haversack and stumbled down the exit, aiming to exit the apartment building in record time.

I heard calls and tumbling steps right behind me. My confused mind told my limbs to run. And I did.

 

 

I lost your back view at the turn of the street. How could I have lost you? How?

I continued to comb the nearby streets, asked around, trying to locate your whereabouts.

Sweat covered my brows, soaked my collar.

YEONG! YEONG, where are you?

Why didn’t I tell you about the Lees earlier. I cursed myself as I tried to find you.

I saw a petite figure, head down, walking towards me. Is it? Could that be? I took a second and better look. Yes, that’s you. You are still here. I still have a chance to explain myself. I heaved a sigh of partial relief.

“YEONG!“, I yelled.

 

 

I was shocked, urgently gathering my misplaced bearings.

I took a seat at the corner of a nearly empty café. I hugged myself, desperate to feel any residual warmth that I could still feel. But it was cold. Stabbing pain continued to attack my core.

I am clouded with doubt. What was those that I had just seen and heard clearly? How should I explain that? Think, think..

I had been armed with much conviction and determination. Looking so much to the day of departure, towards the day we meet.

I have had so much faith. Spending a quarter of my monthly salary just to be here.

I stood up, gathered my stuff, and retuned to the route where I came from.

We met in the middle of the street.

I inhaled deeply. “Congrats. Mr and Mrs Lee. " I said flatly.

I felt your hand on my arm.

“Please listen to me.“ Your hold was firm. There was no way to hide, and I didn’t plan to.

“I am glad to know this earlier, than later.”

 

 

Your voice trembled.

Tears welled in your eyes. You are crying. Because of me.

The raw pain that was so evident in your lovely-ness sliced through my heart.

“Listen to me. This is a misunderstanding. I can explain.” I felt near to collapsing. I cursed my surname and reprimanded myself for not telling you earlier. I hated myself for hurting you, even when that was unintentional, a misunderstanding.

I held on to your arm. “Let me finish what I need to say. Mrs Lee is not my wife. Hyeong, whose surname is also Lee, is occupied this morning. So, I drove his wife and kid to the supermarket as I was going there too. That was a misunderstanding.”

“That’s convincing.”

“That is the truth. What could I do to convince you? Have I ever lied to you? Have I?” I felt desperate for understanding.

You shivered. “No...”

No one has ever come so far for me before. Would I let go now? NO, I wouldn’t. I must explain and make you understand. I added in a softer tone, “You have always been logical, isn’t it? Think about it. If I am married with a kid, will go be replying emails so promptly, will I fly all the way back to Seoul just for you, will I have time to pen down thoughts, on top of all my work? Your rational mind will give you the answer.” I continued, “That was an unfortunate misunderstanding. Give me an hour, let me explain. If you really don’t believe me after that, I’ll see you home.”

“You have your hour.” You brushed past me. Eyes confused, filled with cold fury.

I brought you to the café where Hyeong and his family were having their meal. Hyeong’s eyes registered obvious surprise that I brought a lady to their table.

“This is Hyeong.” I introduced Hyeong to you.

“Hello. I am Lee Joon. This is my wife, Chun, and junior, Sun.”

The little family gathered right in front of you. I chatted with them randomly for a short while. Chun even volunteered to bring you around when I am working.

They invited us to join them but I declined. “Yeong just touched down after some long flights. I thought we just greet you guys first, before sending her to rest a while. We’ll make a move now.”

 

 

There aren’t that many Lees around in a non-Asian land and within the same apartment block? How big are the chances? I was frightened. I was taken aback by the roller-coaster ride that all happened within hours. I should be happy that I wasn’t jinxed. I lost my words for a while. Monotonously, I shook a few hands. Words floated around me but I neither listening nor registering to any. I felt a nudge on my arm. I raised my head.

You lead me out. I am somewhat grateful as I really need some time and air now.

Hot wind greeted my face once I stepped into the streets.

I don’t know how I should react now.

You led me to the beach.

“Miane”, was all I could say.

You patted my back. “I hope you understand now.”

I took a deep breath and looked up.

Our eyes met.

I muttered again, “Miane.”

“How many Lees could there be, especially in a foreign land? Anyone would have misunderstood. We got into such mixed identities a couple of times when we first got here and was immune to it by now. Your reaction is normal. I am glad that you stopped to listen to me.” You wiped away my tears and pulled me into your arms.

 

 

I started to see more colour and serenity returning to your face.

“You really matter to me, a lot. Do you know? I am happy to see you, and your reaction just now.”

“That’s not funny.”

“Not that. Your coming here… showed how much I am to you. Your thought of surprising me.. showed you would like to see me happy. You actually made your way here… you put your thoughts into action. That’s not only a thought, you implemented it. That showed a lot. Moreover, earlier, back there at the apartment lobby, if you don’t react to a Mrs Lee, you must not like me too much.”

“Don’t bloat.”

I pulled you back into my arms. “Don’t go.”

“Miane.”

“Accepted. I am sorry that I didn’t have any foresight to tell you about the Lees first. Miane, for making you cry.” I kicked myself mentally again.

“Accepted”, your teary eyes glittered with sparkles of relief.