Your Residence

Distance

 

 

 

“You must be hungry now. Let’s grab something to eat before we go home.”

Home? Yes, home. This word came naturally. I thought to myself.

“Come, give me your haversack.”

You looked stunned. I took your hand, while I threw your haversack on my back.

It was heavy, but I felt good with your hand in mine.

I ordered bread, kebab and pasta at a local place. A place where I usually go on good days. The food is good, and the Turkish coffee is even better.

You looked weary after the flights. I’ll let you try the coffee tomorrow. You should rest first, after the sun sets. That will help you set your body clock back to local time.

 

 

The security counter was empty when we walked into my apartment building. Never mind, I’ll introduce you to the guards tomorrow.

I pressed the lift button with one hand and still holding your hand with the other.

You yawned a little.

“Persist a while more. You can sleep around 8pm.” I touched your nose lightly and you smiled.

I pressed the “15” button after we entered the lift.

“There are B1 to B3 here”, you said.

“Yes. B1 is the coin launderette while B2 and B3 are the carpark.”

“This is a large and deep lift.”

“Yes, the design is similar to that in the hospital, where the health workers can push the patient right in the lift and into the awaiting ambulance.”

“They put in indepth consideration into the building design. Not many buildings are equipped with such designs.”

 

 

The lights flashed a few times, followed by a loud shatter.

The lift stopped abruptly. The lights continued to blinker for a while before going off.

Moments later, I felt your trembles. I could almost hear your upper and lower jaw hitting each other in the silence.

Immediately, I pressed the emergency button couple of times.

I tried to call the security to inform them of lift malfunction and assistance. Noticing that there is no immediate reply from the phone, you shivered and hitted the door a few times, cried for help, in the process.

I quickly sent the security officers a text as they could be away from their station temporarily.

I switched on the torchlight from my phone. Drips of sweat appeared on your forehead. I wiped them off with my long sleeves. Although the lift is not air conditioned now, there is still some ventilation. With only us inside the lift, it shouldn’t make you sweat so fast.

Could it be? Yes, you can’t stay within a closed room for too long. Claustrophobia?

I chucked your haversack aside and pulled you into my arms. I hugged you tightly. I patted your back, whispering into your ears, comforting you. “Don’t be scared. It’s just the lift that broke down. I am with you. LISTEN, I am WITH YOU. The fear will pass. Breathe.” I can feel that your heart is beating fast, and you are shivering. I kept talking to you, distracting your attention from the enclosed space. I wasn’t thinking of anything to tell you in particular. Just to give you some voice, to tell you I am accompanying you. When you are relatively calmer, I led you to sit down, and I kept talking, kept going… focus on positive thoughts, happier times, the worst would pass..

Help came, after 30 minutes. You were calmer, but soaked with sweat.

I thanked the lift maintenance workers, and walked you to my door.

I never realised the stacks of books and hills of paper documentation which occupied almost every piece of furniture in the living area of this bachelor apartment aside, “I am sorry.”

I quickly moved some stacks to the floor and offered you the sofa. I ran into the kitchen and emerged with a glass of iced water and towel. “Have a drink. You want to take a warm bath to calm down?”

While you freshen up, I changed the sheets for you.

You were yawning after the shower. Jetlag is catching up on your system.

“Have a rest first.” I hugged you lightly, and planted a soft kiss on your forehead.

“Don’t worry.”

“It’s my honour to care for you.”

“I..”

“You are tired. Rest first.”

You fell asleep in no time.

 

 

Early next morning, I prepared breakfast as gently as possible. Quickly packed the living room so it’ll be more comfortable for you.

Seated at the breakfast table, I wrote you a note,

“Yeong, hope you rested well. I have two scheduled presentations in office this morning. Will fly home by 2 pm or earlier (earliest that I can be). Have more rest this morning. I’ll do the breakfast dishes when I am back. 😊

I took a peep at you. You are still sleeping peacefully.

I rubbed my eyes a little. I stayed awoke half the night looking at you, coupled with much amazement, gratitude and ache racing in my mind, all for you.

 

 

It seemed like a long time since I last slept, and woke up properly. The room was mostly dark. Some rays of light seeped through the heavy curtains and landed on my blanket.

“Hyun?”

There was no response.

I stepped out of bed. Following the coffee aroma, I found a big breakfast of eggs, sausages and bread on the dining table. I smiled upon reading the note. This is so you.

I started to feel how hungry I was after I started on the coffee.

A good rest.

A great cuppa.

A fabulous home cooked breakfast.

I smiled and savoured the food.

I took care of the dishes in a rested mind, and good mood.

So, this is where you reside .. I walked around. Bedroom, kitchen, living room, a relatively large balcony.

Briny breeze blew my fringe sideways once I opened the balcony door. A hammock in the balcony. How often do you lay and observe the stars at night? A bluish and calming view from 15th floor.

A small room by the corner of the kitchen. What could it be? The safelight came on after I flipped the light switch. Enlarger, negatives, paper, hanging pictures of  Petra, Blue Mosque, random landscapes of sunrise (yes, that sunrise), sea and mountains. Viewing, touching each piece of work, … Impressive.

“I see that you are browsing my work”, I felt your hug from my back as I hear your voice.

“When did you come in?”

“Sneaked in by decoding the … oh yes, I’ll give you my door password later. And sorry, hope I didn’t scare you. I am glad to find you here.” Your words ringed close to my ears. I feel your breath on my neck.

I turned to face you.

“Lovely pictures, really.”

“You like them?”

“Yes.”

“I can take better ones, with you as the subject!”

It is that cutish, boyish, and puppy-ish eyes again.  “Say yes, please?”

“Yes” I nodded. You have triumphed. I lost miserably but is unreasonably happy.

"How are you? Are you feeling better?"

I know you referred to yesterday. "Who am I?" (I mimic that signature DBS pose comically.) "I am made of tough stuff. Don't worry. I am feeling great."

 

 

“I have the rest of the week off. We need to pack and go now, so we can reach by evening. Come!”

“Where are we going?”

“Somewhere.” You touched my nose affectionally. “Will you go with me?”

“Somewhere. Anywhere.” I replied. Brushing my nose against yours.

 

 

You quickly packed our overnight bags, sleeping bags, some basic first aid and camping stuff. “Are we going camping?”

“You’ll see!”

You packed your photography equipment in another bag and we left the house.  We stopped by the supermarket at the lobby for some food and snacks.

“Ready?”

“Although I don’t know where we are going, but YES, I am ready! Kaja!”

My heart skipped a few beats when I feel you close. You are bucklering the seat belt for me. What am I thinking? Why is my heart reacting so erratically? You smiled and planted a kiss on my forehead.

Did you read it? Oh my goodness.  I really need to get a hold of myself.

 

 

There is more serenity on the roads once you manoeuvred the car out the city. We ventured on a long drive by the sea. Soulful music playing on the stereo. Your warm hand on mine on some straight stretches.

We stopped by a western restaurant with glass walls. “Wow!”

“Yes, wow!” you chuckled.

 

You placed our orders confidently as I took in the stunning sea view right in front of us. Our food was served in no time at all.

“Fried whole tilapia, served with lemon and french fries. This fish dish is bland. So they prepared lovely fresh dates to go along with it. This is the signature dish here, try it! “

Hmmm… Trying to figure out the taste at the al fresco section of the restaurant.

“Special?”

I nodded.

“Try the salad. It is on the sour side as it comes with an overly generous lemon sauce.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiVHDOsXCwA   

 

 

You brought me to a campsite later.

“This is?”

“Yes.”

You did the transaction at the office and led me to the ‘campsite’.

This is a clean ‘room’. No, it’s technically not a room, not considered one at least. There were only walls on three sides, with the empty side facing the sea. There is no roof. Inside the three walls, there are basic necessities of a room and washroom.

“Wash up first.” You pointed to the covered ‘en-suite’ washroom.

By the time I was out, I saw that you have bathed too, and set up the sleeping bags on the platform at the centre of the ‘room’.

“Oh, I used the common bathroom to save some time. Here.” I crawled into the sleeping bag, laid down and faced the broad, endless and unlimited velvet sky around, decorated with massive crystals and diamonds.

“Wow!”

You crawled into your sleeping bag, “Yes. I been here once and loved it. I wanted to bring you here, as its unique, and it’s the place where we can see the night sky properly. The Polaris!” I felt your breath on my neck again. You were close, very close-by. My face and body warmed instantly.

“How?.. How did you have two sleeping bags?” I stummered.

You laughed. Laughing at me? You mean you are totally not nervous? Your trembling fingers that touched my cheeks told me that you felt similar.

“Let’s enjoy. Wait, the night could be cold. Pull on the long sleeves shirt first.”

You helped to zip up my sleeping bag, then yours.

“What if it rains?”

“We run.” A smile lit up your handsome face. “It rains only a few times in a year here, don’t worry”, you assured me.

“I am not concerned.” You are here with me. “There are lots of stars in the sky.”

“Yes”, I feel your eyes on me, not at the sky, “The city is full of light pollution and we can’t see the real night sky that we see now. Lovely, isn’t it? Glittering diamonds in the velvety darkness, this is exactly it.“

My eyes closed after a while. Your hand briefly touched my cheeks lightly.

I opened my eyes when your touch left my face.

“I am sorry to wake you.”

I shuddered a little and moved closer to you. Immediately, your arm is around my sleeping bag.

“Thank you. No, I want to stay awake. This is not a view that I get to see every day… “

 

 

I stared deep into your eyes, up close. Recalling that time that I lost you yesterday, the panic I felt, the franticness I experienced. I have not been so scared in such a long while. Residual fear still jittering in my spine.

It was dark everywhere, except for the little kerosene lamp in our ‘room’.

Overwhelmed, I pulled your hand and placed that on my chest, right above my heart. You stared at me, with your memorising eyes.

“You are here to live, don’t leave.“

A big tear fell from your eye.

“Stay with me", I whispered, "I love you." I wiped off the tears from your eyes.  Your hands moved out from your sleeping bag and held me close.

Our eyes closed.

Much tinkering sensations coursed through the body.

Unusual and exciting rush and feel, paralysing the body, for I could only react, respond, willingly.

Synchronised beatings and thumperings under our ribs, echoing the equally mounting and bubbling emotions for each other.

Under the night sky.

Our breaths moved in tandem.

After our declaration.