The Long Wait

Distance

 

This is already the fifth arrival flight since I landed on this European airport.

With every arrival flight, I tip-toed to attempt to be placed at a higher level than the rest of the waiting crowd, who are mostly foreign, at the arrival gate, searched ardently for your height, your face, your look, YOU, with each and every being who appeared at the arrival gate.

Each time, every time, till the last passenger from each arriving flight exited from the gate.

I was left disappointed once and again.

I buried my head in my hands, trying to make some sense of it. Upon arrival, I saw from the airline announcement board that your connecting flight has been cancelled. I presumed either you waited for the next available direct connecting flight or take multiple connections to reach here (so you could be flying in via any available flight). I couldn’t be sure of which as there has been no comms from you. Guessed that you are not able to locate a means to contact me. Like what we had agreed, I kept my bearings, and waited at the arrival hall.  I browsed through arriving passengers from all arrival flights, hoping, wishing, you are among them.

But more than half a day has passed, and you weren’t in any of those arrival flights. Exhaustion, jet-lag and fidgety creeped into my system. I enquired but the airline absolutely refused to reveal passenger manifest, citing passenger confidentiality. Can't exceptions be made for special circumstances like this, like now? This is really stupidily, crazily and pushing me off the edge!

The passing time gobbled mercilessly into the collective composedness that I had tried to gather together, pathetically.

Where? WHERE are you?

 

“Hello, dear!”

 

“Are you at the airport?” We will be meeting in Europe soon, for the summer holidays.

“Yes, I am checking in and received some latest news.”

“Yes?” you sounded especially alert.

“There is some airline and infocomm strikes, which led to higher level of security in the airlines and airports. I have to check-in everything including my phone.”

“Are you boarding?”

I halted for a while, “I think these heightened security are just extra precautions. I’ll be boarding. I’ll get an international phone card, in case I need it to call you during the transit.”

“In addition to your wallet and travel documents, keep your medication and jacket at hand. We'll stick to our original plan, I’ll meet you at the airport arrival hall.”

“Will do. Don’t need to worry.”

“No matter what, be extra cautious. I love you.”

I paused in the midst of checking in, “I love you too.”

Unfortunately, my connecting flight was indeed cancelled. After getting through the queue of stranded passengers, the airline offered me two options, either take two connecting budget flights to my destination or wait till the next direct connecting flight, which they are not sure when it will take off. In view of the probability, I grabbed the earlier choice.

The internet kisoks were too crowded. I tried to call you at a public phone when queueing at the departure gate, but couldn’t get through. I guess you could be in the air now.

The timing in between my connecting flights were tight, and I was made to exit from the arrival hall, get through multiple security checks and check in through the departure hall for each connecting flight that I take. That were really some mad rush.

Finally, I boarded the last connecting flight which was a budget airline with no complimentary amenities. Regardless, calculating the potential risks and delays involved, these rush and mild discomfort are still better than an indefinite wait.

I finally landed at the destinated airport. Feeling warm in the summer heat, weary from the overnight flights, runnings and multiple transfers, (seriously needing a bath to refreshen up), .. To my horror, my luggage did not follow me to the destinated airport, as promised by the airline earlier. Must be due to the strikes.

I reported the loss and left your contact number with the counter. While waiting for the counter staff to finish the paper work, I found a public phone to call you. The phone rang for a long time.

 

Buzz… Vibration.. What? What? That’s my phone.

A foreign number appeared on my phone. I answered immediately, “Hello. Yes, this is Hyun.”

"Dear.."

“DEAR! WHERE ARE YOU! Are you okay?” you sounded seriously anxious.

“I just touched down. Doing paperwork to report loss of luggage.”

“Never mind about the luggage. How are you?”

“I am fine. Just tired.”

“I am outside the arrival hall.”

“I will be going out soon, just need to get the lost luggage reported. I’ll leave your mobile number for them to call us if they are able to locate my luggage.”

 

Wearing the Vib. cap that you gave me, I queued to exit from the arrival gate.

In the sea of people, I only searched and yearned for your eyes….

I felt a pull and found myself wrapped right in your arms, once I stepped out of the arrival gate. The barrage of packed and much self-contained emotions immediately reached its limits and overflowed.