The Substitute - Chapter 9

The Substitute

As if on cue, the sound of police sirens echoing in the night could be heard.  The four youths looked at the figure and reluctantly left the scene.

The figure glanced over his shoulder and looked at Myungsoo, who was staring back at him in surprise.  "You okay, kid?"

Myungsoo frowned.  "Kid?"

The figure smiled upon seeing Myungsoo's reaction.

Myungsoo did not like being called a kid.  He opened his mouth about to protest but the figure quickly walked over to Sunggyu.

Woohyun looked at the figure approaching them and was surprised when he recognised the bartender of the club they used to visit. "You're..."

The bartender smiled.  "I'll take it from here," he declared as he took Sunggyu from Woohyun.

Woohyun wanted to protest but was unable to do so when the bartender quickly draped one of Sunggyu's arm across his shoulder.  "He's hurt," said Woohyun.  "We need to to take him to the hospital."

"Alright, I'll deal with it," said the bartender.

"I want to come with you," Woohyun said, almost pleadingly as he glanced over at Sunggyu who was barely conscious.

"There's no need.  You boys better go home before the cops arrive," said the bartender.  "I'm sure it's way past your bed time anyway."

"We're not-" Myungsoo started to protest but was cut off.

"You boys are his students which means you are underage," the bartender stated.  "Don't let me catch you in my club again."

The two boys stood and watched as the bartender helped Sunggyu into a flashy sports car and took off.  The two boys looked at each other before Woohyun hailed down a taxi.

"Where are you going?" Myungsoo asked.

"If he won't let us go with him, we can just go by ourselves," Woohyun replied.

Myungsoo looked at Woohyun as if trying to read his mind.  "You...are you that concerned about a substitute teacher?"

Woohyun was surprised by Myungsoo's question.  The truth was, he did not know why he was so concerned about this man.   "If it wasn't because he was protecting me then he wouldn't have been hurt like that," Woohyun replied.  "I just want to make sure he's alright."

Myungsoo let out a sigh.  "I'll come with you."


The two boys arrived at the hospital and rushed to emergency but they were surprised to find that it was awfully quiet.  There didn't seem to be anyone around at this time of the night except for the nurse at reception.

"Excuse me," said Woohyun.  "A man was brought in earlier with a head injury.  His surname is Kim.  Do you know where he is right now?"

The nurse looked at him with confusion on her face.  "It's been a quiet night," she replied.  "No one like that has been here."

Woohyun looked at Myungsoo in confusion.  Sunggyu was injured.  If the bartender didn't take him to the hospital then where did they go?


The youths ran for their lives but they soon found themselves at a dead end.  With no chance of escape, they pleaded for their lives.

"Where can you run to now?"

"We're sorry," they begged.  "Please forgive us.  We're sorry."

"It's too late for that."