The Substitute - Chapter 19

The Substitute

Sunggyu stared at Woohyun in disbelief as he tried to comprehend what he had just heard.  Who were these people?  Why were they after Woohyun?

"I'll hold them back," Woohyun whispered to him.  "You should run."

Sunggyu was astonished to hear Woohyun's words.  "You think I would leave you and run?" Sunggyu asked, sounding almost offended.  "Is that the type of person you think I am?"

"No, I don't mean it like that," said Woohyun, trying to explain himself.  "It's just, if you're here then I will be distracted."

Before Sunggyu could ask what Woohyun meant by those words, the men charged at them.

"Kill them!"

"Please run!" Woohyun said, almost pleadingly as he pushed Sunggyu away before turning back to face his attackers.

Despite Woohyun's pleas, Sunggyu could not bring himself to run.  He wanted to rush over to help Woohyun until he saw  Woohyun knock down one of his attackers and snatch his sword.  Sunggyu found himself frozen in shock as he stood and watched Woohyun wield the sword with ease and efficiency.  He watched as Woohyun struck down his attackers one after another.  Sunggyu could not believe what he was witnessing.

"You dare disobey orders?" one of the men asked as their swords locked together.

"Why does he want us dead?" Woohyun demanded.

"You've served your purpose."

Upon hearing the man's response, Woohyun broke free from the lock and struck his sword down at him.  He was about to deliver the finishing blow when he caught sight of several men running passed him.  He turned his head and realised that they were heading for Sunggyu.  Without a moment's thought, he rushed after the men and struck them down before they could reach Sunggyu.

"Are you okay?" Woohyun asked as he looked at the older man with concern.

"I-"  

Before Sunggyu could answer, his eyes caught sight of the men charging towards Woohyun from behind.  Without hesitation, Sunggyu pulled Woohyun forward into his embrace and spun their bodies around, leaving his back open.  Sunggyu clenched his teeth as the blade tore at the clothing on his back before ripping into his flesh.  

Realising what Sunggyu had done, Woohyun broke free from Sunggyu's embrace just in time to catch the older man as he fell forward.  Woohyun's eyes widened in horror when he saw the deep gash on Sunggyu's back.  He gently lay Sunggyu down before casting his eyes on the man responsible.  Gripping his sword, he rushed towards the man and ran his sword straight through him.

Woohyun quickly rushed back to Sunggyu's side.  Sunggyu's wound was deep and he was bleeding a lot.  He need to get Sunggyu to the hospital.  He helped Sunggyu up and attempted to leave but the few remaining men blocked his path.  He gripped his sword with one hand while supporting Sunggyu with the other.

"Leave me and run," Sunggyu whispered to him.  Sunggyu knew that in his current state he was just a burden to Woohyun.

Woohyun frowned in anger.  "No!" he replied sternly.

"We'll let you two die together!" the men declared and charged forward.

Refusing to let go of Sunggyu, Woohyun held out his sword and deflected the blades that struck at them.  With swift movements, he knocked struck down his attackers until the last one fell.  It was only then did he drop the sword in his hand and held onto Sunggyu.

"We have to get you to the hospital," said Woohyun as he glanced around the empty streets, looking for a car.

At that moment, a car came speeding down the road.  His eyes gleamed with hope when he recongised that flashy sports car.