The Substitute - Chapter 25

The Substitute

The pain from the blade in his chest was nothing compared to the betrayal of one of their own.  "How could you do this?" Myungsoo asked in anger and frustration.  "How could you betray us?"

Sungjong smiled.  "Don't look at me like I'm some kind of heartless monster," he said.  "I'll admit, it was fun going to those rave parties with you all.  After all, killing is my favorite past time but I wouldn't call it a betrayal.  I did help you and Woohyun deal with those scumbags that night, though by the time I found them, they were already beaten pretty bad."

Myungsoo frowned, wondering what Sungjong was talking about until he recalled the night when he was drunk and Woohyun was beaten up and the pair ended up in hospital.  By the sounds of Sungjong's words, it seemed someone else beat up those punks before he got to them.  

"Did you kill them?" Myungsoo asked.

Sungjong flashed him a smile.  "And those punks too," he said, seemingly pleased with himself.

"It's against the rules to kill anyone without orders," said Myungsoo.

Sungjong smiled.  "Those rules don't apply to me.  Plus I was bored."

Myungsoo looked at Sungjong, trying to recognise the friend he thought he knew.

"I am the executioner," Sungjong announced.  "My only mission is to watch over you all and kill you when the time came.  The last rave party was also your final mission."

Myungsoo smiled bitterly when he realised the truth.  "He wants to silence us all after everything that we've done for him?"

"He didn't pick you all off the streets out of the kindness of his heart," said Sungjong.  "He likes to tie loose ends and you're a loose end."

Myungsoo glared at him.  "And who will execute the executioner?"

"Me!" a voice replied much to their surprise.

Sungjong immediately pulled his sword out from Myungsoo's chest and turned around to block the blade from behind him.  The clanging sound of metal against metal echoed the night sky as the swords clashed, producing sparks.  Sungjong looked at his attacker and was surprised to see a masked figure cladded in black.  What startled him most was the mask on his attacker's face.  It was the same black demon mask that he had.  A mask for those branded with the title of executioner.

Myungsoo dropped to the ground, bleeding from the wound in his chest.  He looked at the two figures engaged in a deadlock.  Was this masked figure a friend or foe?  The masked figure had the same mask as Sungjong.  If they're were a team then it didn't make sense for them to be fighting against one another.  Or perhaps this masked figure was sent to tie all loose ends.

After a moment's battle of strength, the two unlocked their swords and separated.

Sungjong stared at the masked figure before him.  "That's impossible," he said in disbelief.  "They said that you were killed ten years ago after you disobeyed orders to kill.  Though it took a thousand men to take you down, they were sure you were dead, witnessed by the few remaining men." 

The masked figure glanced at Myungsoo before turning his attention to Sungjong.  "So you're my substitute."