The Substitute - Final

The Substitute

Substitute? thought Myungsoo, surprised to hear that word from the masked figure.  That would mean that he was also an executioner and definitely not a friend.

"Were they that desperate that they would get a brat like you to replace me?" the masked figure asked mockingly.

Sungjong frowned in anger.  "Even if you once were the executioner but your time is over now!  There can only be one executioner."

Before the masked figure could ponder the meaning of those words, more armed men appeared from the shadows.  Sungjong smirked and stepped aside, allowing those men to advance on the masked figure. 

The masked figure knew he was outnumbered against a vast number of enemies.  He glanced back at Myungsoo and approached the boy.

"Hey kid, can you still move?" the masked figure asked.

Myungsoo was wary when the masked figure came near but upon hearing those words, he looked at him in confusion.  "Kid?" said Myungsoo, remembering someone that used to call him that.  "You're-"

"If you can, get your friend and teacher out of here," said the masked figure, indicating to the other side.

Myungsoo looked into the distance and saw two figures, one cradling the other in his arms.  Woohyun!  It only hit him now that Woohyun was wounded.  He had expected to finish things quickly but the situation was did not play out that way.

"I'll hold them back," the masked figure declared as he faced his enemies.  "Go!"

"Wait!" said Myungsoo.  "You're outnumbered.  There's no way you can beat them all."

"Stop complaining!" scolded the masked figure.  "Now scram!"

Myungsoo managed a weak smile when he was finally sure of who was beneath the mask.  "Don't die."

Myungsoo gathered up his strength and made his way over to Woohyun with a group of men giving chase.  However the men were blocked by the masked figure who stood in their way, striking down all those that dared to follow.


"Woohyun!" Myungsoo called out as he rushed over to Woohyun's side, gasping for breath.

Sunggyu looked up upon hearing Myungsoo's voice and was shocked to see the front of Myungsoo's shirt covered in blood from the wound in his chest.  Despite this, Myungsoo was still standing.

"He's going to be okay," said Sunggyu.  "I've stopped the bleeding for now but he needs proper treatment urgently and so do you.  If you follow this path, you'll find a car waiting.  The doctor will drive you boys back.  Go now."

"What about you?" Myungsoo asked with concern.

"Just go," said Sunggyu, handing Woohyun over to Myungsoo.

Myungsoo hesitated a moment as he weighed his options.  Woohyun's life was on the line.  Finally, he gave in.  "I'll tell Woohyun that you'll be back soon," said Myungsoo as he held onto Woohyun.  "Promise me that you won't make him wait too long."

Sunggyu was quiet for a moment before he nodded his head.  Only then, did Myungsoo turn to walk away.  Sunggyu stood and watched as the boys headed down the path.  That might be a promise that I can't keep.

After seeing Myungsoo and Woohyun disappear into the distance, Sunggyu turned around and headed in the direction of where the battle was taking place.  When he passed by a body on the ground, he stopped and picked up the sword beside the fallen body.  He continued on until he came to a another body where again, he picked up a second sword.  With a sword in each hand, he approached the scene.

Seeing his approaching figure, several men charged towards him.  Without stopping in his pace, he swung his swords and struck them all down as he passed through swift as the wind.

The masked figure turned to look at the commotion and was shocked at what he saw.  Sunggyu, no!

Too concerned with Sunggyu, the masked figure did not notice the gun aimed at him.  Sungjong smirked and fired the shot.  By the time the masked figure realised it, the bullet had embedded itself in his chest.

"You're not so tough after all," Sungjong mocked.  "As the number one executioner, I had expected much more from you.  I guess the rumours of you being a unbeatable monster that not even bullets can stop was just a rumour."  Sungjong aimed his gun at the masked figure once again.  "It's time to die," he said as he pulled the trigger.

Surprisingly, a sword cut across the air and intercepted the bullet.  Sungjong frowned in anger and turned to see who had interfered.  There stood Sunggyu with a sword in his hand and the fallen bodies of enemies at his feet.  Sungjong glared at the man and aimed his gun at him, firing continuous shots.  To his surprise, Sunggyu was able to deflect each bullet with his blade.  Sungjong continued firing until his bullets ran out, yet his target was still standing.

"You..." said Sungjong in disbelief and anger.  His precision with the gun was top notch.  No one had ever been able to stop his bullets before.  Yet, this man, a substitute teacher was able to do so easily.  He glared in frustration until it finally dawned on him.  "So you're the real executioner.  You should be dead.  How did you survive?  Not that it matters since I'll kill you anyway."

With those words, Sungjong tossed his empty gun aside and raised his sword as he rushed at Sunggyu and attacked.  Sungjong smiled with delight when their swords crashed against each other but rather than locking their blades together, Sunggyu struck back with such force that it caused Sungjong to stumble several steps back.  Sungjong's eyes lit up as his blood boiled with excitement.  This was what he had been searching for, a worthy opponent.

Their swords clashed several more times and each time Sungjong was forced back.  He finally understood why his predecessor was deemed a monster.  Before Sungjong could regain himself, Sunggyu rushed forward and attacked, leaving no room for Sungjong to counter his moves.  With several swift successive swings of his blade, Sunggyu knocked Sungjong's sword away and struck him down.

Sunggyu stood in silence for a brief moment before he spat out a mouthful of blood and collapsed to the ground.  The masked figure took off his masked and rushed over to Sunggyu.

"Sunggyu!" Sungyeol called out in panic.  "I thought we agreed that I would handle this."

Sunggyu looked at Sungyeol and managed a weak smile before clutching at his heart while gritting his teeth in excruciating pain.  "Don't tell him," Sunggyu pleaded.  "I don't want him to be sad."

Sungyeol shook his head unable to bear the pain of seeing his friend in such a state.  If not because of saving him, Sunggyu wouldn't have been severely wounded.  The guilt had been haunting him for ten years though Sunggyu never blamed him.  "Sunggyu, please don't do this to me," Sungyeol cried in frantic anguish.

"Please, do me this last favour," said Sunggyu.


Woohyun opened his eyes and found himself back at the small clinic.  He sat up from the bed and saw Sungyeol sitting beside his bed as if waiting for him.  He glanced around the room but did not see anyone else.

"You're finally awake," said Sungyeol.

"How long was I unconscious for?" Woohyun asked.

"Three days."

"Where's Sunggyu?"

Sungyeol took a deep breath.  "There's something I have to tell you."

Woohyun waited with anticipation.

"The night you and Sunggyu were supposed to go on that date, it wasn't that he didn't want to come.  You see, he has a medical condition.  A weak heart.  That night, he suffered an attack.  By the time it settled down and he went to the meeting place, it was too late."

"Why didn't he tell me?"

"He didn't want to worry you."

"Where is he?"

There was a pause from Sungyeol as he looked at the boy.  "That night in the forest, he suffered another attack, a much more serious one."

Woohyun's eyes widened in surprise and worry.  "Is he alright?  Where is he?"

Another pause from Sungyeol.  "The doctor's taken him overseas for treatment."

Woohyun grew concerned upon seeing the solemn look on Sungyeol's face.  "Where?"


Sungyeol stood and watched as the plane took off into the air, carrying with it, Woohyun and his hope of finding Sunggyu.  He breathed out a sigh of relief before turning to walk away.

He made his way to the cemetery and stood in front of a grave where a kitten lay sleeping beside it.

"Why did you lie?" a voice asked.

Sungyeol was startled by the familiar voice and quickly turned around to find Woohyun and Myungsoo standing there.  "Why aren't you two on that plane?"
Woohyun slowly approached the grave, dreading each step until he read the name on the gravestone.  He shook his head in disbelief and dropped to his knees in tears.


On a starless night where the moon hid behind the clouds, a car drove along the road until it came to a sudden halt when it's path was blocked by three figures with demon masks.

 

 

The End.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's note:

Probably the longest chapter I've ever written.

Thanks for reading.