The Substitute - Chapter 5

The Substitute

"Alright everyone," said Mr Kim as he stepped into the classroom.  "The morning bell has gone.  Please take your seats."  He stood at the front of the room and waited several moments for the students to be seated.  He glanced at the back of the room and saw the group of boys but noticed that two of the seats were empty.  "I'll be taking the roll call now."

When he got halfway down the list, the door opened and in stepped two late boys.  He turned his head to the side and was surprised to see Myungsoo and Woohyun at the door.  He could see the bruises on Woohyun's face and a small white bandage on his forehead.  It wasn't hard to tell that the boy had been beaten to such a state.

A slight frown appeared on Mr Kim's face but it quickly disappeared before anyone noticed.  He let out a disappointed sigh and then checked the time on his watch.  "Nam Woohyun, Kim Myungsoo, you boys are five minutes late."

"Sorry, we're late, Mr Kim," Woohyun quickly apologised.  "We-"

"We had a rough night," Myungsoo interjected before Woohyun could stop him.

Mr Kim's eyes lingered on Woohyun for a second longer before turning his attention to Myungsoo.  "I can see that."

Myungsoo frowned and tsked at the teacher.

Mr Kim caught the glare in Myungsoo's eyes but he did not seem bothered by it.  "Five minutes late is still late," he declared sternly as he pushed back his glasses.  "I'm marking you two down as late.  You and your three friends back there, come and see me after school today."

Groans could be heard from the three boys in the back row.


"Such a jerk!" Myungsoo cursed as they gathered on the rooftop at lunchtime.  "Doesn't he have anything better to do?"

"It's your fault, you know?" Dongwoo reminded him.  "You kissed him."

Myungsoo frowned.  "I have no recollection of doing such a thing."

Dongwoo chuckled mischievously.  "That's okay, I have proof," he said showing them his phone.

Myungsoo grabbed the phone from Dongwoo's hand and looked at it.  His eyes widened in disbelief.  There, displayed on the screen was the photo of him kissing the older man.  His eyes fixated on the screen for a moment longer before he tap on the keys.

"Hey, what are you doing?" Dongwoo asked, trying to take his phone back.  "Don't erase it."  He managed to grab his phone back and wa relieved to see that the photo was still there.

"It's Sungjong's fault for wanting to play that stupid game," said Myungsoo.

"What do you mean, my fault?" Sungjong retorted.  "All I said was, I dare you to kiss the next person that walks though that door.  Who knew it would be him?"

Hoya who had been quiet during their banter, let out a sigh.  "So what are we going to do today?  It's the second time he's called for us."

"We should just go see him," Woohyun suggested.  "We can't avoid him forever."

"Not going," Myungsoo declared.  "My head still hurts."

"Hey, Woohyun, are you sure you should be here today?" Sungjong asked.  "I mean, you have a great excuse not to come to school.  Did the doctor say you could leave?"

"I don't like hospitals," Woohyun replied.

Their conversation was interrupted when the bell rang at the end of lunch break.  The boys groaned as they reluctantly made their way down from the rooftop.


While making their way across the yard to the classroom, Woohyun caught sight of something in the distance.  He stopped in his pace and stood and watched.

"Hey, kitty," said Mr Kim as he picked up the kitten and held it in his arms.  "Aren't you a cute little one?  Where did you come from?  Are you lost?"  He gently the kitten with a smile upon his face.

Woohyun could not help but smile when he saw the sight in front of him.  He could not believe that the man standing there, smiling ever so warmly with the kitten in his arms was the same man who had scolded them earlier.

"Woohyun!" Myungsoo called when he glanced back to find his friend standing there.

Woohyun jolted when he heard his name.  He turned away from the scene and rushed to catch up to the rest of the group.

"What were you looking at?" Myungsoo asked.

"Nothing," he replied.  "Let's hurry or we'll be late."