The Substitute - Chapter 16

The Substitute

President Assassinated.

A slight frown appeared on his face when he read the headline on the front page news.  It only happened last night and already it was headline news the very next morning.  As he sat in his car reading the article, his phone rang.

"Where are you?" the voice asked on the other line.

"Where else would I be?" he replied, glancing around the school car park.

"You're at school?" said the voice, almost in disbelief.  "Trust you to be able to act as if nothing happened last night.  How do you still have the energy left?  Aren't you tired?"

"It's nothing new," he replied.

"I'm assuming you've read the paper?  How do you think the media found out so quickly?"

He opened his mouth to reply but changed his mind when his eyes caught sight of a familiar figure walking through the school gates.  "Talk later," he said.  "I have something I need to attend to right now."

"Just be careful."


"Are you okay, Woohyun?" Sungjong asked.  "I mean it was an awesome party last night but you didn't look like you wanted to be there.  You had Myungsoo so worried about you, he didn't even let loose like he normally does."

"I think you enjoyed it too much," said Dongwoo.

Sungjong made a face at him in response.  "What?  Can't I have fun at parties now?"

Hoya let out a sigh, not wanting to participate in the useless banter.


Sunggyu got out of the car and waited until Woohyun and his friends walked by.  He saw Myungsoo glare at him while Woohyun made eye contact but then looked away.  That was to be expected.  After all, he stood the boy up.  He let out a sigh before approaching the boy.

"Woohyun," he said.  "Can I talk to you?"

"No," Myungsoo replied before Woohyun could answer.  "We'll be late for class."  Myungsoo held onto Woohyun's arm and steered him away.

"Woohyun," Sunggyu called out as he grabbed Woohyun by the wrist and dragged him away, ignoring the surprised looks from the group of boys.


The grip on his wrist was tight as if Sunggyu was afraid he might run away.  Truth be told, he did want to run away but his body would not listen to him as he let himself be dragged away.  Sunggyu led him to a secluded area behind a school building but even then, Sunggyu's grip remained tight on his wrist.

"Mr Kim-" Woohyun began.

"You're calling me Mr Kim now?" Sunggyu asked bitterly.

"You're my teacher," Woohyun reminded him.  "What else am I supposed to call you?"

Sunggyu frowned in anger upon hearing Woohyun's words until he remembered that he was the one at fault.  He was the one who did not show up after promising to do so.  Woohyun must be angry and he had every right to be.

"I'm sorry," Sunggyu apologised in a soft voice.  "I'm sorry for breaking that promise to meet up last night."

"It's fine," said Woohyun but his distant tone was far from it.  "I'm sure you had more important things to do."

Sunggyu shook his head.  "It's not like that.  I..."

Woohyun looked at Sunggyu and waited for the explanation but Sunggyu seemed to struggle to even come up with one.

"Woohyun...I..."

"I waited for you," said Woohyun, slowly breaking down his wall of defence.

"I know," said Sunggyu.  "I'm sorry."

"I rang you too," Woohyun added.  "A lot of times but you didn't answer."

"I know."

"I was worried that something bad had happened to you."

"I'm sorry."

"And then I thought that maybe you had changed your mind," Woohyun continued, bitterly.  "After all, to you I'm probably just a kid and there's no way you would take a kid like me seriously.  But you know, I am serious about you.  I have never felt this way about anyone.  I have never been afraid of anything but for the first time ever in my life, I was afraid.  Afraid that I-"

Unable to control himself any longer, Sunggyu held onto the sides of Woohyun's head with both hands and claimed the boys lips in a passionate kiss, silencing the boy.  Woohyun was startled by Sunggyu's sudden action but he welcomed it, allowing his desire to take control.  He wrapped his arms around the older man as the pair indulged themselves in the heat of the moment.