The Substitute - Chapter 6

The Substitute

The moment the final bell rang at the end of the day, the boys grabbed their bags and made their way out the door, without a second thought to the fact that they were supposed to report to the teacher's office.  When they almost reached the front gates of the school, Woohyun stopped.

"You guys go ahead.  I'll catch up later," said Woohyun as he started to head back.  "I left my phone in the classroom."

"I'll come with you," said Myungsoo.

"No, it's okay," Woohyun insisted.  "I'll be quick."


Woohyun rushed through the hallways until he reached the classroom.  He wa surprised to find that it was empty.  He had expected Mr Kim to be waiting for them.  Perhaps the teacher was busy.  Rather than stand there and wonder, Woohyun decided to head to the teacher's office.

The door was opened and he stepped inside.  The office was empty.  There was no sign of Mr Kim.  Perhaps it wasn't just the students who wanted to leave on time.

He was about to turn and walk out when he heard some rustling noise in the far back of the room.  Curious, he walked towards the back of the room and was unprepared for what he saw.  There, crouched on the floor on his hands and knees was Mr Kim, trying to reach for something under a desk.  Too concentrated on what he was doing, Mr Kim was oblivious to Woohyun's presence as the boy stood there and watched with an amused smile on his face.

"There you are, kitty," said Mr Kim as he reached for the kitten.  "You had me so worried."  He cuddled the kitten in his arms as he got back up on his feet.  His eyes widened in surprise when he saw Woohyun standing there, staring at him.  How long had he been standing there?  For a moment, he didn't know how to react.  The boy had caught him off guard.  "Woohyun, what are you doing here?" he asked as he pushed his glasses back and regained his composure.

Woohyun looked at the man in front of him and smiled.  "You wanted to see us after school."

"Right," said Mr Kim.  "Why is it just you?  Where are the others?"

"They're..." Woohyun didn't know what to say.  "I came to apologise to you for what happened that night.  For the trouble we caused.  I just hope that you'll forgive us and not report us to the principal and if you want to punish anyone then you can just punish me."

There was a moment of silence. 

Mr Kim looked at the boy as if contemplating something then he let out a sigh.  "I'm not going to punish you," he said.  "That night, I was not your teacher and you were not my student so what you did was none of my business."

Woohyun seemed relieved to hear that.

"But," Mr kim added.  "The reason I wanted to see you boys was to tell you that now that I am your teacher, if I catch you at any of those clubs again, I will definitely do something about it.  Besides, you boys shouldn't be there in the first place."

Woohyun stood and listened in silence.

"Also," Mr Kim continued.  "I would tell him myself but since he's not here, please tell Myungsoo that too much alcohol is bad for his health.  It's best if he stops drinking."

Woohyun waited until he was sure that Mr Kim was finished lecturing before he smiled.

Mr Kim frowned.  "What are you smiling about?"

"You seem like a really strict teacher but you're actually very kind and caring," said Woohyun.  "Plus, you were very adorable playing with that kitten."

Mr Kim seemed flustered at Woohyun's words.  "Calling your teacher adorable is hardly appropriate."

"Is that your kitten?" Woohyun asked.

Mr Kim looked at the kitten still in his arms.  "No, I found him in the yard.  He must be lost."

Woohyun took a few steps forward, close enough for him to reach out and gently pet the kitten in Mr Kim's arms.  For a moment, the pair seemed to have forgotten where they were until Mr Kim looked up and found himself staring at Woohyun's face.  At such close proximity, he could see the extent of the bruises on Woohyun's face.  Without a thought, he raised a hand and touched at the side of Woohyun's face.

His touch startled Woohyun, who had been petting the kitten, but he did not pull away.  Woohyun raised his eyes and looked at the older man.

When he realised that Woohyun was looking at him, Mr Kim quickly retracted his hand.  "I'm sorry," he apologised.  "I just wanted to check your injuries.  You look like you got hurt rather seriously."

Woohyun smiled.  "I'm fine.  It looks worse than it is."

"What happened?" Mr Kim asked.

"It's nothing," Woohyun replied.

Mr Kim let out a worried sigh.  "Please look after yourself.  You're always taking care of your friends but how can you look after anyone when you can't even look after yourself properly?"

Woohyun looked at the teacher but did not respond.

Their moment was interrupted when another teacher stepped in the door.  Mr Kim quickly hid the kitten behind his back, away from the other teacher's sight.

"Well, off you go then, Woohyun," said Mr Kim.  "Your friends are probably waiting."

Woohyun nodded and headed out the door.  At the end of the hallway, he found Myungsoo waiting for him.