The Substitute - Chapter 22

The Substitute

The video showed three figures, each tied to a tree.  Their bloodied bodies were slumped and their heads were down.  It seemed that the only thing keeping them standing were the ropes which bound them.  It was hard to tell if they were alive or not.  The video was accompanied by a message.

"Come save your friends or they'll die."

Myungsoo immediately climbed out of bed and headed for the door but was stopped by Sunggyu.

"Myungsoo, you're in no condition to go anywhere," said Sunggyu, blocking his path.

Myungsoo smirked and glanced at the bandages on Sunggyu's body before looking up at the older man.  "Mr Kim, I don't think you're in any condition to stop me."
"I have a responsibility as your teacher," Sunggyu declared.  "I'm not going to let you go like this."

Myungsoo ignored Sunggyu's words and pushed him aside.  Sunggyu stumbled back a step but quickly regained his balance.  He grabbed Myungsoo's arm, attempting to pull him back but Myungsoo broke free from the hold and turned the tables.  Myungsoo grabbed Sunggyu's arm and twisted it behind the older man's back, locking him in a hold.

"You're just a substitute teacher," said Myungsoo before he knocked Sunggyu unconscious.

The scene unfolded in front of the doctor who simply stood and watched.  "What are a troublesome lot."

Myungsoo placed the unconscious Sunggyu back on the bed.  "I'm sorry," he said as he looked at Sunggyu.  "Woohyun would be sad if anything happened to you."  He then turned his attention to the doctor.

The doctor raised his hands out in front of him.  "I'm not going to stop you.  I can't even if I wanted to."

"I'm sorry for all the trouble and thank you," said Myungsoo before heading for the door.

"Hey kid," the doctor called out, causing Myungsoo to stop.  "You know it's a trap and you're still going?"

Myungsoo smiled.  Of course he knew but they were his friends.  "Can I ask a favour?  Can you thank Sungyeol for me?  I'm afraid I might not get the chance to do so later."


Woohyun arrived at the deserted forest and glanced around until he saw the three figures up ahead.  Though there was no one else in sight, he knew they were not alone  He carefully approached the figures but before he could get close, a large group of armed men emerged from the shadows and surrounded him.

"Brave one, aren't you?" said one of the men.  "Kill him!"

Woohyun reached for his sword which was strapped to his back.  As the men approached him, he drew out his blade, in time to block their attacks.  The sound of metals clashing against each other echoed in the night sky.

"Truly a monster," said one of the men after seeing Woohyun striking down his enemies, one after another.  It seemed they had underestimated him.

Woohyun slashed his sword left and right but no matter how many he knocked down, his enemies remained endless as more and more men emerged.  It seemed that they were determined to kill him by all means.

Woohyun took deep breaths as he looked at his enemies.  Even the greatest fighter, no matter how strong, would eventually succumb to tiredness when having to face with endless opponents.

They only allowed him a few seconds to catch his breath before the onslaught of attacks continued.  Woohyun forced himself to stay focus as he raised his sword to block their attacks and counter strike.  He struck down the two men in front of him and sensed someone from behind.  He quickly turned around and swung his sword, attempting to slash his enemy but the two blades clashed as his enemy from behind blocked.

Woohyun was surprised to see that unlike the rest of the men, this person was cladded in black and his face was covered in a black demon mask.  Their swords were locked together fora moment until his enemy gained the upper hand in a battle of strength.  His enemy knocked his sword out of his hand and before he knew it, it was too late.

Woohyun felt his enemy's blade plunge into his stomach.  His enemy pushed the blade deeper.  Woohyun grabbed the blade with both hands to try and stop it from plunging deeper as blood trickled down the side of his mouth.

"Who are you?" Woohyun asked.

A muffled voice from behind the mask replied, "The executioner."