The Substitute - Chapter 20

The Substitute

While maintaining his focus on the road ahead, every now and then Sungyeol would glance at Myungsoo who was sitting in the passenger seat beside him.  Since the boy had refused to go to the hospital, Sungyeol had no choice but to take him to the only place he knew that could help him.

While speeding through the streets, his eyes caught sight of a shocking scene up ahead.  Countless bodies lay sprawled on the ground and amongst them he noticed two figures still standing.  He knew trouble when he saw it and was determined not to poke his nose in other people's business.  That was, until he recognised the boy and the man beside him.  He quickly slammed on the brakes and came to a stop.


Inside the small clinic, hidden away in an alley, Sungyeol and Woohyun waited outside the room while the doctor tended to Sunggyu and Myungsoo.  Woohyun was pacing anxiously back and forth in front of the door while Sungyeol stood leaning against the wall.

"Hey, calm down," said Sungyeol.  "They'll be fine.  He's a qualified doctor."

Woohyun finally stood still in front of the door.

"How about you tell me what's going on?" said Sungyeol.

Woohyun looked at Sungyeol with much hesitation.  "It's better if you don't know.  I don't want to get you involved."

Sungyeol frowned.  "Don't you think it's too late for that?  My idiot friend risked his life for you.  I think he deserves to know."

"I..." Woohyun was reluctant to speak.

Their conversation was interrupted when the the door to the room opened and an old man stepped out.

"How are they?" Woohyun asked anxiously.

"They'll survive," informed the old man.

"Can I go in and see them?" Woohyun asked.

The old man stepped aside to let Woohyun through before he turned to look at Sungyeol.  "The young one's tough.  He'll be right.  As for Sunggyu he lost a lot of blood which isn't helping his condition at all.  Does he want to die that much?"

"He never listens," said Sungyeol.  "I'll scold him for you."

"And you," said the old man, focusing his attention on Sungyeol.  "Did I not tell you last time to stay out of trouble?"

"I tried," Sungyeol replied.  "But trouble keeps finding me."

The old man let out an exasperated sigh.  "I need some supplies."

"Let me go get it for you."


The two guards looked at him and opened the double doors of the grand mansion.  He walked inside and approached the desk where a man in a robe sat waiting, despite the late hour of the night.

"Two of them escaped," said the man.

"You did create monsters after all," he said.  "If you had just let me take care of them all from the start."

"I'm letting you take care of them now.  I want them all dead!  Prove to me that you can live up to the title of Executioner."

He smirked.  "As you wish, Mr Vice President or should I say, Mr New President?"