The Substitute - Chapter 7

The Substitute

Myungsoo stood leaning against the wall, waiting patiently while looking at his phone.  Upon hearing footsteps, he looked up and saw Woohyun approaching.  He quickly put his phone away in his back pocket but not before Woohyun had caught a glimpse of what he was looking at.  It was the photo that Dongwoo had taken of that night they met Mr Kim.  The photo of Myungsoo kissing Mr Kim.  Woohyun finally understood.  That time on the rooftop, Myungsoo didn't delete the photo, but rather, he had sent it to himself.  Woohyun could not help but wonder why Myungsoo would keep that photo.  Was Myungsoo going to use it against Mr Kim?

"Myungsoo, what are you doing here?" Woohyun asked, feigning ignorance.  "Didn't I say I'd catch up?"

Myungsoo frowned.  "You said you left your phone in the classroom and our classroom is that way," he said as he nodded in the opposite direction before turning back to look at Woohyun.  "The teacher's office is this way.  Why did you go see him?"

"I..." Woohyun didn't know what to say.  "Just thought I'd try to speak to him."

Myungsoo raised his eyebrows questioningly.  "And?"

"And he's not as bad as we think," Woohyun replied.  "He's actually-"

"I don't care what he is," Myungsoo interrupted abruptly.  "Come on, the others are waiting."  He grabbed Woohyun's hand and dragged him along.


"So, how's school?" the bartender asked as he placed a drink in front of his waiting customer.

Mr Kim let out a sigh.

"Oh, that good huh?" teased the bartender.  "What?  The kids picking on you?  Don't tell me a grown man like you can't even handle some kids."

Mr Kim frowned at the bartender's comment.  "They're not kids.  They're teenagers."

The bartender let out an exaggerated sigh.  "I can't believe that the Kim Sunggyu that I know can't even handle some teenagers," the bartender mocked while shaking his head in disappointment.  "You're twice their age.  You need to show them who's boss."

Mr Kim let out a deep sigh.  "Why do I come to you for advice?"

"Because I'm your only friend," the bartender replied with a proud smile.

"In that case, you can do me this favour," said Mr Kim as he picked up the box beside him and placed it on the bar counter.

"What is it?" the bartender asked as he peered into the box and heard a tiny meow.

"Can you look after him until I find his owner?" said Mr Kim.  "You said you liked taking care of kittens."

The bartender frowned.  "You know I didn't mean it literally."


After spending several hours inside a game parlour, the group of boys loitered out at the front of the place when they noticed a familiar person walking by on the other side of the street.

"Hey, isn't that Mr Substitute?" Dongwoo pointed out, alerting the others.

The group of boys looked and saw Mr Kim walking along down the street and then turning into an alley.  They didn't think anything of it until they noticed four rough looking youths following him from a short distance.

"Is it just me or is he being followed by those thugs?" Dongwoo asked aloud, what everyone else was thinking.

"He looks like an easy target," Hoya commented casually.  "If I was them, I'd target him too."

Woohyun grew worried and got up, about to follow them when Myungsoo grabbed his arm and stopped him.

"Where do you think you're going?" Myungsoo asked, refusing to let go.

"There are four of them.  There's no way he'll stand a chance against them," said Woohyun.  "We have to help him."

"Help him?" Myungsoo scoffed.  "How are you going to help him?"

"Mr Substitute is a grown man," said Sungjong.  "I'm sure he can take care of himself."


The moment Sunggyu turned into the alley, he heard hurried footsteps approaching from behind.  He stopped and turned around to see four youths approaching him.  They circled him, leaving him no room for escape.

"What's going on?" he asked calmly.  "What do you want?"

One of the youths brandished a pocket knife.  "Hand over your wallet."

Without hesitation, Sunggyu took out his wallet and handed it to them.  "Can I go now?"

The youths glared at him and noticed that he was holding onto the collar of his jacket as if hiding something.  "What are you hiding there?"

"Nothing of interest to you," Sunggyu replied.

"Let's see what you're hiding!"

The youth swiped the knife across Sunggyu's chest, thinking that Sunggyu would remove his hand to protect himself from the sharp blade but instead, Sunggyu used his arm to cover his chest.  The knife opened a gash along his left arm and blood gushed out.