The Substitute - Chapter 17

The Substitute

In a corner of the darkened cinema, the pair sat away from the rest of the audience.  Woohyun had let Sunggyu decide on the movie, which he discovered, was probably not a good idea.  He had no idea what the movie was about nor was he interested for that matter.  All he wanted was to spend some time with Sunggyu.

Halfway through the movie, Sunggyu felt something against his shoulder.  He turned his head and saw that it was Woohyun's head that he felt against his shoulder.  The boy seemed to be fast asleep.  Perhaps he should have let the Woohyun picked the movie.  Sunggyu could not help but smile to himself as he looked at Woohyun's sleeping face.  The boy was frowning in his sleep.  Was he having a bad dream?  Not wanting to wake Woohyun, Sunggyu sat as still as he could, allowing the boy to use his shoulder as a pillow.

Some time later, Woohyun awoke to see the ending credits rolling up on screen.  He quickly glanced around and realised that they were the only two people left in the cinema.  He had missed the entire movie.  The thought hit him with a pang of guilt.  He did not mean to sleep through it but he was very tired.  

"Feeling better?" Sunggyu asked.

Woohyun looked over and Sunggyu, worried that the older man might be angry with him but to his relief he saw Sunggyu smiling at him.  "I'm sorry," said Woohyun, trying to explain himself.  "I-"

"It's alright," Sunggyu assured him.  "It was a rather long movie."

A moment of silence hung between them.

"Are you hungry?" Sunggyu asked.

Woohyun looked at Sunggyu in surprise.  Here, he thought that Sunggyu was going to end their date.

"Shall we go grab a late night snack?  There's a nice little place still opened at this time," Sunggyu suggested much to Woohyun's delight.

Woohyun nodded happily in response.


Myungsoo let out a deep sigh as he sat at a table in the club, thinking he would rather be somewhere else.  He had a club in mind but he doubted that he would be allowed to enter since the owner had banned them.  He glanced around the place.  Dongwoo and Hoya were over at the bar ordering drinks while Sungjong was on the dance floor having the time of his life.

"What's with the long face?" a voice asked.

Myungsoo looked up and saw Dongwoo and Hoya returning to the table, carrying a tray of tequila shots.

"Missing Woohyun?" Dongwoo teased as he placed the tray down on the table.  "This is the first time he hasn't been out celebrating with us.  He's missing out and so will Sungjong if he keeps hanging on that dance floor."

As if his senses were tingling, Sungjong looked over at the table.  His eyes lit up when he saw the the group taking shots.  He immediately ran over and picked up the remaining glass and joined in the fun.  

"Really guys, why didn't you call me?" said Sungjong as he gulped down the glass in his hand.  "Anymore?"

Dongwoo grinned.  "Plenty more coming."

After several more rounds, Myungsoo decided that he had had enough.  "Think I'm going to head out now."

"What?  Why?"  Dongwoo exclaimed.  "It's still early."

"Woohyun's not here but we'll take care of you if you get hammered," said Sungjong.

"Or we could all end up lying in the gutter," Dongwoo joked before bursting out with laughter.

"Speak for yourself," said Hoya.

Myungsoo sighed.  "I'm tired.  I'll see you guys tomorrow."


Myungsoo walked out onto the deserted street.  At this late hour of the night, there were barely any taxis in sight.  He decided to walk while keeping a look out for any approaching taxis.

Passing through a small alley, Myungsoo noticed a group of rowdy drunken men approaching from the other direction.  It was a small path and he tried his best not to get in their way.  He walked to one side of the alley, allowing the group enough room to pass through however one man stumbled forward and bumped into him.

Myungsoo glanced down and saw the knife embedded in his stomach.


The three drunken boys staggered out of the club and found themselves confronted by a group of men.  They were too drunk to realise anything until it was too late.


After enjoying a nice meal at a late night food stall, the pair made their to their parked car.  Walking along the street, Woohyun glanced around and found that the street was empty.  He looked down at Sunggyu's hand.  He wanted to hold it but was afraid to do so.  While contemplating his thoughts, his was caught off guard when Sunggyu's hand reached for his and held it tight.  He looked up at the older man in surprise.

Sunggyu smiled at him.  "It's alright, isn't it?  There's no one around."

Before Woohyun could respond, Sunggyu leaned in and kissed him softly.

"You're too cute," said Sunggyu.  "I've been wanting to do that all night."

They continued down the street, hand in hand.  As they neared the parked car, Sunggyu noticed that his tyres were slashed.  Sunggyu frowned while Woohyun looked concerned, wondering who had done this and why?

As they stood contemplating, Woohyun's phone buzzed in pocket.  Who could be calling him at this hour.  He glanced at the name and answered it.

"Woohyun...where...where are you?" the voice asked in between gasps as if they were struggling to breathe.

"Sungjong?  Are you okay?" Woohyun asked with concern.

"Run...they're..."  The line abruptly cut off.

"Sungjong!" Woohyun called out but to no avail.

"What's wrong?" Sunggyu asked when he saw Woohyun in distress.

Before Woohyun could answer, they heard footsteps approaching from behind.  They turned around and found themselves surrounded.