The Substitute - Chapter 13

The Substitute

He slowly released his grip on his attacker's throat and let out a sigh.  "Hey kid, what do you think you're doing, sneaking up on me like that?"

Myungsoo coughed and gasped for breath as he dropped to his knees.  For a moment, he thought he was going to die.  He did not expect such a reaction from the man.

Seeing the boy struggling to breathe, the bartender felt a tinge of guilt.  Perhaps he had over reacted.  "Are you okay?" he asked, holding out his hand.

Myungsoo looked at the hand offered in front of him and contemplated a moment before he accepted it.  Holding onto the bartender's hand, he was pulled up onto his feet.

"What are you doing here at this time of the night?" the bartender asked.  "Isn't it way past your bed time?"

"I was waiting for you," Myungsoo replied.

"Waiting for me?" the bartender asked.  "What for?"

"I..." Myungsoo was hesitant to answer.  "I just wanted to see you."

The bartender looked at the boy.  He knew what the boy meant but he feigned ignorance.  An awkward silence hung between them.

"Alright then," said the bartender, finally letting out a sigh.  "Where do you live?  I'll take you home."

Myungsoo was surprised to hear those words which brought a smile upon his face.


While driving on the road, the bartender glanced at his passenger in the seat beside him.  Myungsoo tilted to one side and he seemed to be sleeping.

"Hey, kid," the bartender called out, trying to wake him.  "Where exactly do you live?"

There was silence from the sleeping boy.

"Hey," he called again, wondering if the boy was toying with him.  "If you don't tell me, I'm just going to drop you off on some deserted road and leave you there."

The bartender stopped the car and waited, hoping that his threat would entice the boy to wake up if he was feigning sleep.  The bartender tapped his fingers on the steering wheel as the minutes passed.  Still no movement from Myungsoo.

The bartender let out a sigh.  "Alright," he said as he leaned over.  "If you don't wake up, I'm going to kiss you."  He inched closer until their lips slightly brushed against each other.  He stopped and waited for the boy's reaction.  At such close proximity, he could hear Myungsoo's calm breathing and realised that the boy was in a deep sleep.  He almost seemed amused as he let out a sigh.


By the time Woohyun arrived at the club, it was already closed.  Though Myungsoo had told him to go home, he could not help but worry about his friend.  In the end, he had decided to go look for him but Myungsoo was nowhere to be found.  If the club was closed then where was Myungsoo?  Woohyun glanced about the empty streets and sighed when the first drops of rain began to fall.

He had no other choice but to head back home on foot.  He picked up his pace as the rain grew into a downpour.  He covered his head with his hands as he ran.  He was drenched from head to toe.

Too busy fighting against the rain, he did not notice the car pulling up beside him.  He jerked in surprise when he heard the car's horn beeped.  He stopped and glanced to the side of the road as the car's window rolled down.

"Get in," said the driver.

Woohyun looked at the driver and was surprised when he recognised the face.  What was the man doing at this time of the night?  Woohyun seemed hesitant.  After a brief moment, he decided that it was best to decline the offer.  "It's okay.  I don't want to get your car wet," he replied and quickly walked on ahead.

He had only taken several steps when he felt someone grab onto his arm and pulled him back.  Startled, he turned his head and looked back to find Sunggyu drenched in the rain as he was.  Why was the older man doing this?  Why did he come after him?  Why was he still giving him false hope?  Why?  After being rejected, he had already decided to give up.

Woohyun tried to pull his hand away from Sunggyu's grip but the older man refused to let go.  "Please," Woohyun begged.  "It hurts."  You broke my heart.

Upon hearing Woohyun's words, Sunggyu released his grip on the boy, thinking that his grip was hurting him.

Woohyun seemed relieved for a few seconds before he felt arms embracing him, holding him tight.  He looked up at Sunggyu in surprise.

"I've tried so hard," Sunggyu whispered.

Before Woohyun could ponder the meaning of Sunggyu's words, he felt Sunggyu's lips pressed against his.