The Substitute - Chapter 21

The Substitute

Seeing the two most important people in his life, unconscious and covered in bandages, caused him such anguish.  Myungsoo seemed to be in a stable condition.  He knew Myungsoo would be alright.  After all, he knew how tough Myungsoo was and they have survived much worse.  On the other hand, Sunggyu worried him dearly.

Woohyun approached the bed where Sunggyu lay on his side.  He reached out a hand and ever so gently, ran his fingers along the bandages on Sunggyu's back.  It hurt him to see the older man in such a state.

"I'm so sorry," he whispered, softly.  "It's all my fault.  I never wanted for this to happen to you.  I would rather it was me lying on this bed now."

He carefully brushed back several strands of hair from Sunggyu's face as he continued to watch over over Sunggyu in silence.

His moment of peace was interrupted when he heard his phone buzz in his pocket.  He ignored it.  Sunggyu was his priority.  Besides Sunggyu, he could care less about everything else.  His phone buzzed again.  After a moment of contemplation, he took out the phone and read the message.  His eyes widened in horror.  He looked at Sunggyu and then back at the message.  He was conflicted.  He closed his eyes to gather his thoughts.  After a moment, he opened them with determination.  He had made up his mind.

He walked over to the other side of the bed where he could clearly see Sunggyu's face.  He bent down and gently placed a kiss on Sunggyu's lips.  His lips lingered for a few seconds longer before he slowly pulled away.

"I love you," he whispered, bitterly.  "You probably can't hear me right now but I just wanted you to know that I love you."  He smiled as his eyes brimmed with tears.  "Though it was short, I enjoyed every moment we spent together.  Thank you."  He paused a moment as the tears began to stroll down his cheeks.  "Goodbye."


When Sunggyu opened his eyes, he found himself in a familiar room, one which he would like to avoid if possible.  He tried to sit up and as he did so, the pain on his back jogged his memory of what happened earlier.  Despite the pain, his first thought was of Woohyun.  He sat up, ignoring the pain and looked around the room.  There was no sign of Woohyun.  Instead, he found Myungsoo lying on the other bed.

Sunggyu was about to climb off the bed when the door to the room opened and the doctor walked in.  The doctor hardly seemed surprised that Sunggyu was awake.

"What happened to him?" Sunggyu asked as he looked at Myungsoo.

"You'll have to ask Sungyeol.  He barges in at an ungodly hour and expects me to deal with it," said the doctor.  "He only ever brings me trouble and they must be trouble if the people that they're up against are so powerful that they're afraid to even go to the hospital."

"Where's Sungyeol?" Sunggyu asked.

"He volunteered to go get me some supplies which I thought was unlike him.  He never volunteers for anything," said the doctor as he glanced around the room as if searching for something.  "Where's the other boy?  I thought he was here with you the whole time."

Woohyun was here? thought Sunggyu as he quickly got off the bed.

"Where do you think you're going?" the doctor asked.

"I have to go find Woohyun," said Sunggyu.

"You should worry about yourself first," scolded the doctor.  "Besides, how will you find him?  Do you know where he went?"

Sunggyu was quiet.  He knew the doctor was right.

"I do," spoke a voice.

The two men looked across the room and saw Myungsoo looking at his phone.  He had received the same message as Woohyun.