The Substitute - Chapter 4

The Substitute

He slowly opened his eyes and was greeted with the white ceiling above.  Where am I? he thought as he tried to recall what had happened.  A quick glance around the room told him that he was in a hospital room.  He turned his head to the side and caught a glimpse of the back of a person as they walked out the door and closed it gently.  Who was that? he thought as he tried to get up out of the bed.

As he did, a woman entered the room.  He figured she was a nurse from the uniform she was wearing.  "Oh no, don't get up," she said as she ushered him back on the bed.

"I have to find my friend," he replied.

"Your friend is fine," she assured him.  "He's sleeping soundly a few rooms down.  He's just had too much to drink.  You, on the other hand, are a different story."

"How did I get here?" he asked.  He vaguely remembered that someone was assuring him that he was okay but he could not be sure if he was dreaming or not.

"A passerby brought you two in," informed the nurse.  "He said he found you two in an alley."

"Passerby?" His mind flickered back to the image of the person walking out just as he awoke.  "Is that person still here?  I would like to thank him."

The nurse seemed surprise.  "You didn't see him?  He came out to tell me that you were awake.  I figured that he would have been the first person you saw.  He sat here with you the whole time you were unconscious.  He wanted to make sure you were okay.  Such a kind man.  He even paid for all your hospital expenses."

He could not believe that someone was kind enough to do all that for a stranger.  Nevertheless, a debt needs to be paid.  "Do you know his name?"

The nurse shook her head.  "He didn't leave his name," she replied.  "Now, Woohyun..."

He looked at her in surprise.  "How did you know my name?"

"We found your ID card on you."

"Oh."  He remembered the fake ID card which he had used to enter the club.

"Is there a family member we can call to let them know you're here?"

A solemn look appeared on his face.  "No."

They were interrupted when the door to the room opened abruptly and a young man rushed inside.

"Woohyun!" his friend exclaimed as he rushed over and pulled him into a hug.

The nurse stood aside and watched with a smile on her face when she saw how close the boys were.

"Myungsoo, can't breathe," said Woohyun after his friend refused to release him from the embrace.

"I'm so sorry," his friend cried, still holding him tight.  "If I wasn't so drunk, this wouldn't have happened.  It's all my fault."

"It's not your fault," said Woohyun, trying to calm his friend down.  "I'm fine but you're going to cut my blood circulation soon if you keep squeezing me like this."

Only after hearing those words did his friend let go. "Sorry," said Myungsoo before he reached out a hand to gently touch the bruises on Woohyun's face.  "Does it hurt?"

Woohyun assured him with a smile.  "Not anymore."

Myungsoo's hand trailed to Woohyun's lips where one finger brushed across his bottom lip.  For a moment they seemed to have forgotten the nurse standing there watching them with eyes wide and a blush upon her face.

"Myungsoo," Woohyun called out softly as if to remind him where they were.

Myungsoo retracted his hand.  "Let's go home."


"Please don't kill us," they begged.  "We're sorry."

"It's too late for that."

The shots rang out.  Their bodies fell over the edge and the heavy weights dragged them down into the deep dark waters below.