The Substitute - Chapter 2

The Substitute

"You'll be pleased to know that Mr Park marked your tests before he left," Mr Kim announced, holding the stack of paper in his hands.  "Most of you did well.  Unfortunately, some of you need to study a little more.  Those of you whose name I call out, please come see me at the end of the day."

The teacher's words elicited soft groans from the students dreading to hear their names being called out.

"Jang Dongwoo, Kim Myungsoo, Lee Howon, Lee Sungjong and Nam Woohyun," Mr Kim called out.  "Please see me after school."

The group of boys frowned upon hearing their names.


At lunchtime, the group of boys gathered up on the rooftop, attempting to avoid the new teacher.  Failing their tests was nothing new but being called out and having to see the teacher after school was a first.

"What are we going to do?" one of the boys asked.  "Why does he want us to go see him?"

"It's probably payback for last night," another boy replied.  "Who would have thought that he's our substitute teacher?"

"It's your fault Sungjong, you and your great ideas."

"Hey, I'm not the one who can't hold his liquor."

The boys stopped bickering and cast their eyes on the boy lying on the concrete with his head resting on his friend's lap.  Despite the conversation about him, he was too busy sleeping to care.

"Look at him, sleeping like that."

"He's still got a hangover," said the boy glancing down at the boy on his lap.  "Just let him be."

The other boys sighed.  "You spoil him too much."


When the final bell rang at the end of the day, Mr Kim made his way to the classroom.  He hardly seemed surprised to find that the five students who were supposed to meet him were not present.

Of course they wouldn't be here, he thought to himself.


It was busy in the fast food restaurant.  The four boys carried their trays of food and returned to their table where the fifth boy sat waiting restlessly.  One of the boys carrying two trays of food placed one of the trays in front of the waiting boy.

"Here you go," he said.  "Eat up."

"Thanks," replied his friend.  "I'm starving."

"You should be.  You slept during lunch," one of the other boys remarked.  "Actually, you've been sleeping all day.  Are you alright?"

The restless boy frowned.  "My head hurts."

"That's because you drank so much last night," another boy remarked.

"What do you think Mr Substitute is going to do when he finds out we're not there?" one boy asked.

"Probably give us detention," another boy replied.

"He can't give us detention if we're not there," stated the third boy.

The boys laughed.

"So, which club are we going to tonight?" Sungjong chimed in excitedly.

"What if we run into Mr Substitute again?"

"You're such a worrywart, Dongwoo," said Sungjong.  "We'll be fine as long as we don't go to that club last night.  I heard Vortex is pretty cool.  We should go there tonight."


He sat back and watched as his best friend joined the other boys on the dance floor, despite having complained about a headache all day long.  Yet, there his friend was once again, partying with the rest of them.  The loud music and crowded atmosphere was really not his type of thing but he couldn't leave his friend alone with those party animals.

On the dance floor, the four boys were laughing and dancing to their hearts content, so much so that they were not aware of their surroundings until one of them bumped into someone.  They apologised half-heartedly and continued on, too busy to notice the glare in the man's eyes.

Back at the table, he witnessed the scene and was ready to run over and prevent any trouble, but he stopped when he saw the man walk away.  He didn't think anything of it until they left the club and was confronted by a group of rough looking men.