The Substitute - Chapter 15

The Substitute

"Woohyun, what are you doing here at school?" Sunggyu asked with a frown upon his face.  "Didn't I tell you to stay home today?"

"I'd rather be here with you," Woohyun replied quietly.

Sunggyu had intended to scold the boy for not listening to him but upon hearing Woohyun's reply, he could not bring himself to do so.  He took a step closer towards Woohyun but still maintained a distance since he was well aware of their surroundings.


"So, what's going on with you and that bartender?" Dongwoo asked Myungsoo point-blank while they were having lunch on the rooftop.

Myungsoo hardly surprised nor fazed by the question.  "Nothing yet, but I'm working on it," he replied with a smirk.

His reply made the rest of the group laugh.

"You're shameless," Hoya remarked.

Myungsoo shrugged nonchalantly in response.

Their conversation was interrupted when Sungjong's phone buzzed.  He glanced at the message that appeared on his screen.

"Rave party tonight," he read aloud with a grin on his face.

"Well, someone better tell Woohyun," said Dongwoo.  "Where is he anyway?"


In an empty classroom, Sunggyu was busy marking some tests when glanced up at the desk in front of him.  There, sat Woohyun, playing with the kitten and feeding it his lunch.  It brought a smile to Sunggyu's face to see Woohyun smiling happily.

"You should go enjoy lunch with your friends," said Sunggyu.  "There's no reason for you to be here."

"You're here," Woohyun replied before he heard his phone buzz.  He glanced at the message and almost seemed disappointed.

"See?  They're already looking for you."

Woohyun looked at Sunggyu for a moment as if contemplating something.  "Then..." Woohyun began with slight hesitation.  "Can I see you tonight?"

Sunggyu contemplated his answer.  "What do you have in mind?"


Woohyun glanced at his phone to check the time.  7:15pm.  He had arrived fifteen minutes early because he was anxious and excited.  He never thought that Sunggyu would agree to meet up with him for dinner and a movie but he was glad he did.  He wondered if it was too forward of him to count this as their first date.

Time passed as he stood waiting anxiously in front of the shopping complex.  He watched as people came and went but still no sign of Sunggyu.  Maybe Sunggyu was just running late.

After awhile, his anxiousness turned to worry.  He wondered if Sunggyu was in some sort of accident.  He finally decided to call him.  The phone rang and rang but there was no answer.

As the hours passed, Woohyun could not help but wonder if perhaps Sunggyu had simply forgotten.  The thought made him feel disheartened until he heard footsteps approaching.  He looked up excitedly only to be disappointed when he saw who it was.

"Where is he?" Myungsoo asked, glancing about.

Woohyun managed a half hearted smile.

Myungsoo frowned in anger.  "That jerk!"

"Maybe something important came up," said Woohyun, still trying to defend the older man, despite being stood up.

"He could have at least called," said Myungsoo, angrily.  "It's been hours.  He's not going to show up."

Woohyun lowered his head in silence.  He wanted to remain positive but deep down he knew that Myungsoo was right.

Myungsoo let out a sigh.  He hated seeing his friend hurt like this.  "Come on, we have a party to go to."


Without hesitation, he ran his sword through his victim's body, plunging it deeper until the tip of the blade protruded from his victim's back.  In a swift movement, he pulled his sword out and watched as his victim fell to the ground, lifeless, along with the rest of his bodyguards.


In the late hours of the night, he arrived at the meeting place but was too late.