The Substitute - Chapter 3

The Substitute

"This is our turf," stated one of the men.  "You need to show some respect."

Panic etched upon on their faces.  Though they had much too drink, the boys were sober enough to realise the situation they were in.  They were clearly outnumbered and the men did not look like the type that would let them go with just an apology.

"What are we going to do?" Sungjong whispered.  "They're going to kill us."

"I don't feel so good," said the boy who had been drinking the most.

Upon hearing those words, the only sober boy in the group glanced at his best friend, who was just as much of a party animal as the others yet could not hold his alcohol as well as them.  He was very concerned for his friend who looked like he would pass out any minute now.

"Let's split up," he suggested to the rest of the boys.

The other boys nodded in agreement. 

He grabbed hold of his friend's hand and on the count of three, the boys ran in different directions.

"Get them!" the leader of the group shouted.

The men separated into smaller groups and gave chase.


It seemed that the two boys running together had the worst luck.  The majority of the men were on their tail.  The boy kept a firm grip on his friend's hand as he dragged him along the dark and deserted streets.  They turned into several alleyways, attempting to lose their pursuers.  They continued running until one of them stopped.

"I can't run anymore," said his friend.

"We have to go now," he urged as he glanced behind them.

"I think I'm going to puke," said his friend as he proceeded to do so before passing out.

He shook his friend's shoulder to try and wake him up but to no avail.  This was not the time or place to be resting.

"There they are!" a voice shouted out.

Before he knew it, the men had caught up.  It was too late to run and he couldn't leave his friend behind.  With no other options, he stood to face them.  They had him surrounded.  He was outnumbered.  He knew that he was in for a beating.  He was only grateful that his friend was unconscious and not a target for the men.

He took a deep breath as the men advanced in him.  They pushed him around, delivering punches and kicks.  After several minutes he found himself on the ground in a fetal position.  All he could do was cover his head with his arms to protect himself as best he could while the men continued without mercy.  Just as he felt his consciousness slipping away, he caught a glimpse of a figure approaching them.  That was the last thing he saw before darkness took over.

The men finally came to a stop when the boy lost consciousness.  Their attention quickly turned to the approaching figure.

"Who the hell are you?" one of them asked menacingly.

The figure looked at the unconscious boy slumped against the wall.  At a glance, the boy did not look to be injured.  Upon seeing the puddle of vomit beside him, he figured that the boy must have passed out from drinking too much.  He turned his attention to the group of men ahead of him.  That was when he noticed a second unconscious boy on the ground.  He was battered, bruised and bloodied.  It seemed the second boy had suffered a brutal beating.

"Are you looking for a beating too?" one of the men threatened.

The figure let out a sigh as the group of men surrounded him.


In the midst of unconsciousness, he felt someone holding him in their arms.  He tried to open his eyes but his body would not listen to him.

"It's okay," he heard the voice whisper softly.  "I've got you."

"Myungsoo..." he murmured with worry for his friend.  "Is he okay?"

The figure looked at the boy in his arms.  Here he was beaten so badly yet his main concern was the well being of his friend.  The figure glanced at the drunken boy slumped against the wall.  "He's fine."

Only upon hearing the figure's words, did the boy finally surrendered to unconsciousness.