The Substitute - Chapter 14

The Substitute

The rain continued as Sunggyu pulled up in front of a high rise building complex.  He was surprised to find that Woohyun was living in such a luxurious apartment.

Noticing Woohyun's flushed cheeks, Sunggyu grew worry with concern.  He wanted to make sure Woohyun was safe and sound so he accompanied the boy until they arrived at Woohyun's apartment.  Woohyun entered the code to unlock his door but he remained standing there.  After a moment, Woohyun turned to look at Sunggyu who stood waiting patiently beside him.

"Would...would you like to come in?" Woohyun asked with much hesitation.

Sunggyu looked at the boy's face which had turned bright red.  How was he supposed to answer this question?  If he said yes, would that be too forward?  If he said no, would that make Woohyun feel like bad?  "What about your parents?" Sunggyu asked after careful consideration.

Woohyun managed a brief smile, relieved that Sunggyu did not flat out reject his offer.  "It's just me," Woohyun replied.  "I..."

Before Woohyun could finish, he felt his head spin then darkness took over.  Sunggyu caught Woohyun as the boy collapsed into his arms.  He  placed a hand on Woohyun's forehead and found that the boy was burning with a fever.


When Woohyun opened his eyes early the next morning, he found himself tucked in his own bed.  He looked around the room and realised that he was alone.  He could not help but felt a little dejected until his bedroom door opened and in stepped Sunggyu.

"You're awake?"  Sunggyu asked as he placed a hand over Woohyun's forehead.  "Looks like your fever's gone down."

Woohyun could only stare in silence at Sunggyu.  "I..."

"What's wrong?" Sunggyu asked when Woohyun stopped mid sentence.

"I thought you had left," Woohyun replied.

"Do you think I'm that cold hearted to leave a sick person to fend for himself?"

"No," Woohyun quickly replied, not wanting Sunggyu to misunderstand him.  "I didn't mean that.  I-"

Sunggyu smiled and gently patted the boy on the head.  "It's alright," said Sunggyu.  "Your fever's gone down but I think you should stay home today.  I made breakfast.  You should have some and then rest."


He stood with a frown upon his face as he looked at the sleeping figure sprawled across his bed.  It was his apartment, his bed yet he had to sleep on the sofa.  How did things turn out this way?

"Hey kid," he called out.  "Get up!  You're going to be late for school if you don't get up now."

The sleeping figure grumbled something under his breath before turning to the side and pulling the covers over his head.

"That's it!" said the man as he pulled the covers off and threw it aside.

The sleeping figure finally opened his eyes and sat up with an angry frown upon his face.  "What did you do that for?  Can't I even sleep in peace?"

"If Sunggyu finds out that you ditched school and that you spent the night at my place, I will never hear the end of it," said the man as he dragged the sleeping figure off the bed.  "Hurry up, you've got 20 minutes."

The boy scrunched up his face.  "I'm not going to make it."


The sports car came to a screeching halt at the front of the school gates just as the bell rang.  It caught the attention of the students who all stopped to admire the flashy car.  Sungjong, Dongwoo and Hoya were headed for the gates when they too stopped to see what was causing all the commotion.

"Who comes to school in a car like that?" Sungjong remarked until he saw the person stepping out from the passenger side.  "Should have known."

They were even more surprised when they recognised the driver of the car.


After dropping Myungsoo off at the school, the driver took off as hastily as he had arrived.  He had only gotten as far as the end of the street when his phone rang.  He quickly glanced at the name of the caller and let out a long sigh.

"Yeah?" he answered.

"Sungyeol, what's going on with you and Kim Myungsoo?" questioned the voice on the other end.

"How did you find out so quick?" Sungyeol asked, glancing into his rearview mirror.

"It's hard not to notice when you caused such a scene at the front of the school."

"Nothing happened," Sungyeol stated nonchalantly.  He waited to hear the nagging from the other end, but was met with silence.  "Not going to lecture me?"

"I have no right," came the reply.

Sungyeol was surprised to hear those words.  "You..." he started to say before letting out a sigh.  "What are you going to do if he finds out?"

"I-"

"Mr Kim," a voice called out, interrupting their conversation.

Sunggyu jolted in surprise.  He quickly ended the call and turned around to find Woohyun standing there.