The Substitute - Chapter 12

The Substitute

Woohyun walked away hastily.  It finally made sense to him now, the reason why he was rejected.  Though it hurt him to know the truth, Myungsoo was his best friend.  There was no way he would ever get in the way of his best friend.

"Woohyun!" a voice called out before he felt someone grab his arm and pulled him back.

He turned and saw Myungsoo holding onto his arm, stopping him from walking any further.  Why did Myungsoo come after him?

"Woohyun, I-" Myungsoo tried to explain.

Woohyun managed a forced smile.  "It's okay.  You don't have to explain.  I understand."

Myungsoo frowned in confusion.  "What do you understand?"

"You don't have to worry.  I won't get in your way," said Woohyun.  "Besides, he doesn't even like me."  He paused and pursed his lips as if trying to contain his heartbreak.  After a brief moment he smiled at Myungsoo.  "He seems to like you though."

"What are you talking about?" Myungsoo asked.  "Wait."  He paused a moment to think and then realisation hit him.  He almost seemed amused.  "You think that I like him?  Why would I like a boring old man like that?  Besides, why would that old man like someone who was about to punch him?"

Woohyun looked at Myungsoo in surprise and confusion.  Punch?  Did he hear correct?  "Why would you want to punch him?"

"Because he hurt you," Myungsoo replied without hesitant.

Woohyun took a moment to take in what he was hearing.  Was he mistaken after all?  "But, the photo, I saw it on your phone."

Myungsoo let out a sigh and took out his phone.  "You mean this photo?" he asked as he showed it to Woohyun.  "Look carefully, there's a third person in that photo."

Woohyun looked at the photo.  At first, all he saw was Myungsoo and Sunggyu until he looked past them and noticed a third person in the background.


"So you shut him down before he could even say anything?" the bartender asked before letting out a sigh.  "The poor thing.  It's his bad luck to meet such a cold hearted man like you."

"I'm only doing the right thing," said Sunggyu.

The bartender shook his head.  "Going around breaking young boys' hearts?" he teased.

Sunggyu let out a sigh.  "I'm heading back now," he said as he got up from his seat.

"So early?" said the bartender.  "You need to loosen up."

"You need to get back to work," said Sunggyu when he noticed some customers approaching the bar.

"Sunggyu," the bartender called out.

Sunggyu stopped and looked at him.

"Life is short," said the bartender.  "For people like us anyway, so you should at least try to enjoy it while you can."

Sunggyu was quiet for a moment as if contemplating the bartender's words before walking away.


At the end of a long night, when the last customer finally left, he cleaned up the place and locked up.  As he walked towards his car parked at the back alley of the club, he felt a presence behind him.  Without warning, he turned around, catching his attacker by surprise.  He grabbed his attacker by the throat and pushed him back against the wall until he realised who it was.

"You?"