The Substitute - Chapter 8

The Substitute

Sunggyu placed his right hand over his arm, to try and stop the bleeding.  Despite his bleeding arm, he was still so calm and collected, so much so that it angered the youths.  They could not understand why this man was not like the rest of their victims.  Why was he not panicking and begging for his life like the rest of them?  Furthermore, he did not seem the least bit sacred for his life.

"Have you had enough?" Sunggyu asked calmly.

The youths were further enraged by Sunggyu's lack of reaction.  "Old man, you really don't know your place!  Let's teach him a lesson!"

One of the youths approached Sunggyu.  "Let's hear you beg for your life," he said as he raised the metal pole in his hand, ready to take a swing at Sunggyu.

"Mr Kim!" a voice shouted out, much to Sunggyu's dismay.

Sunggyu looked up and saw a familiar figure rushing towards him.   A worried look appeared on his face when he recognised who it was.  Woohyun.

The youth glared at the boy who appeared out of nowhere.  In anger, the youth took a swing at Woohyun.

"Woohyun!"  Sunggyu called out when he saw the metal pole lowered towards the boy.  "Watch out!"

Woohyun turned around and looked but it was too late.  The metal pole was inches from impacting with his body when he suddenly felt someone pull back.  He felt someone wrap their arms around his body as they swapped positions seconds before he heard a thud.  It was at that moment that Woohyun saw a little kitten poking it's head out from under the jacket of the person facing him.  Woohyun raised his head and saw Sunggyu looking at him.  It was then that Woohyun realised Sunggyu had used his own body to shield him from the blow.

"Are you okay?" Sunggyu asked.

Woohyun looked at the older man with concern.  "I'm fine," he replied.

Sunggyu smiled with relief.

"But you-" Woohyun started to say but stopped short when he saw blood trickling down the side of Sunggyu's head.  His eyes widened in shock.  "You're bleeding!"

"I'm okay," Sunggyu replied, wearily.  "I..."

"We have to get you to the hospital," Woohyun said, frantically.

However, his path was blocked by youths who refused to let them go.

"You think we're just going to let you go just like that?" one of the youths threatened.

"He's bleeding," Woohyun pleaded.

"I don't care!" stated the youth.

Woohyun was desperate to get Sunggyu to the hospital that he did not care anymore.  "What do you want then?"

"Hurry up and hand over your wallet!"

Woohyun reached into his pocket and pulled out his wallet.  He threw it over to the youths who were quick to check it.  Their eyes lit up when they saw the amount of money in it, along with the designer brand wallet.

"You must be some rich kid, huh?  What else you got on you?  Search him."

"Don't you dare touch him!" a voice warned.

The youths turned around and saw Myungsoo standing there, glaring at them.  They quickly turned their attention at him and surrounded him.

"Who the hell are you?" one of the youths asked.  "Looking for a beating too, are you?"

Myungsoo did not seemed threatened by them as he stood his ground, even as one of them approached him with the metal pole in his hand.  As the pole lowered towards him, Myungsoo raised his arm, attempting to defend himself.  He was surprised when a figure appeared out of nowhere and stood in front of him.

The figure caught the pole and snatched it from the attacker's hand.  With the metal pole in hand, the figure turned the weapon against it's previous owner.  Seeing this, the other youths attacked him with their weapons.  With several quick movements he was able to subdue them all.  The youths were left writhing in pain on the ground.

"I've called the cops," declared the figure.  "You punks better scram before someone dies here."