The Substitute - Chapter 10

The Substitute

When the first bell rang the next morning, the students slowly made their way to their seats, expecting the teacher to arrive any minute now.  Woohyun sat eagerly in his seat with his eyes fixated on the door.  Minutes passed and there was still no sign of their teacher.  Woohyun grew worried with concern.  He could not help but think that something terrible had happened.  Unable to wait any longer, he got up from his seat just as the classroom door opened.  Woohyun breathed a sigh of relief to see Sunggyu step in the door.

"Nam Woohyun, are you planning on going somewhere?" Sunggyu asked when he saw Woohyun standing up.

"Ah, no," Woohyun replied as he quickly sat back down.

"Alright class, let's take the roll call."

Woohyun could not help but stare at Sunggyu who was acting as if nothing had happened.


"Thought you guys said he was hurt pretty bad last night," said Hoya as he looked questioningly at Myungsoo and Woohyun.

"He was," Myungsoo replied.

"Well, he looks perfectly fine to me," Dongwoo chimed in.  "And here I thought we weren't going to have a teacher today.  Got my hopes up for nothing."

"For a teacher, he's got some nerves," said Myungsoo.  "He wasn't even fazed when in that kind of situation."

"Maybe he's not really a teacher," Dongwoo joked.

"Then what is he?" Sungjong asked.

Dongwoo shrugged.  "I don't know.  Maybe a gangster?"

"You idiot," said Sungjong.  "Why would a gangster pretend to be a teacher for?  Does he have nothing better to do?"

The group laughed.

Woohyun was not in the mood for to participate in the conversation with his friends.  From the roof top, he stood staring aimlessly into the distance until his eyes caught sight of something down below.  His eyes lit up as he made his way down from the roof top.

"Hey, Woohyun! Where are you going?" Myungsoo called out but there was no reply.

"What's gotten into him these days?" Sungjong asked.  "He's always running off like that."

Rather than follow Woohyun, Myungsoo walked over to where Woohyun had been standing and looked down into the distance.  A frown etched upon his face when he saw what Woohyun had been looking at.


Woohyun slowly and quietly crouched down beside the kitten playing in the grass, not wanting to scare it.  He held out his hand and gently the kitten with a smile upon his face.  After a brief moment, he glanced at the figure sitting under the large tree, leaning against the trunk of the tree with eyes closed.

He must be tired, thought Woohyun to himself as he stared at Sunggyu's serene sleeping face.

Glancing down at Sunggyu's left arm, he could see the bandages peeking out from under the older man's shirt.  Woohyun remained beside Sunggyu for a moment in silence until he lost control of his body.  He had no idea what came over him.  It was as if his body had a mind of it's own.  He shifted closer to Sunggyu.  There was a moment's pause when his face was inches from Sunggyu's.  A moment of hesitation.  He knew it was wrong yet he could not help himself.  Closing his eyes, he leaned forward until their lips met.  A soft kiss.  So soft and gentle that he was sure Sunggyu would not feel  it, until the older man opened his eyes and stared at him.

Nearby, Myungsoo's eyes widened in surprise when he witnessed the scene.