The goodbye

Naughty Kiss

When I woke up again, one month had passed just like a dream and it was time for me to say goodbye to the one person in my heart. We were now in March and the leaves were slow turning green again was. Kai and I had spent every second of the past month together as much as we could. The past month together had been amazing  it felt horrible that this day, right now, was the last one we were going to have together for a while. But I was hoping this day would somehow be special and so far it was going the way I wanted it to.

“Are you sure you want to continue this?” He asked me for the 100th time.

“Of course”, I said. “I’ll do it one last time.”

“That’s what you said 5 minutes ago”, he complained.

“You brought me here!”

“For a date,” He whined. “It’s not so you can get angry at a machine that’s eating all of my money.” I sighed in defeat.

“Fine”, I said. “I’ll stop.” He smiled. “But it’s only so I won’t have to hear your constant whining.” He laughed and pulled me into his arm.

“Let’s go for one more ride.” He lead me inside the ice rink and without letting go of my hand once, we skated and skated until our limbs couldn’t keep up anymore.

“Daebak!” I said when we left the ice rink. “I feel awesome!”

“You feel awesome when this is our last day together?” He asked. “Unbelievable.”

“Don’t say it like that. I mean this, us being together, feels awesome.”

“I know. I was just kidding.”

“The great Kim Jong In knows how to joke”, I laughed. “I’ll seriously miss this.”

I took off my ice skating shoes and put on my own. “Are you g-” Kai lifted me up bridal style to my surprise. “W-what are you doing?” I embarrassedly looked around. Few people were looking at us. He smirked and carried me all the way to the subway.

”Kai”, I said. ”Put me down.” of course he didn’t listen until the subway came.

“We’re going to our room”, he smirked.

“R-room?” I asked as he put me down. I suddenly felt uneasy. Why was he smirking? What did he mean by going to our room? I searched his eyes trying to get what was going on, when he kissed me and bit my lip. Kai pulled me inside the subway and we stood instead of sitting down. He kissed me again. Knowing no one was around us as it was late, I felt at ease and could enjoy him.

“Kai”, I ended the kiss. ”Tell me what’s going on.” Kai came closer, hunting for a kiss and I stepped away. He frowned, squinting his eyes and I did the same.

“What to do you think I’m about to do?” He asked.

“I don’t know.” I was still hiding. “You’re acting really weird.”

“I’m not,” Kai laughed. We had been drink earlier that night so maybe he was still under the influence?

”Then tell me where we’re going.”

”Since it’s my last night and we’re not going to be able to…” He looked me up and down with such intensity I felt funny inside. ”And since everyone’s home. I booked us a hotel room.” I gasped.

”You did not”, I scoffed. He nodded and felt my hand.

”5 star hotel”, he began, ”wine, food, a hot bath. It’s waiting for us.”

”We’re gonna have a whole room to ourselves?” I hugged him.

”The whole room”, he said. I was about to let him go but he held me tight and whispered in my ears, ”I booked it just to hear you scream all night.” With those words said, he let me go. Standing next to him, I felt my inside fire up. 

 

 

Next day

“They’re asleep”, Kai said when we sneaked in the Kim’s house early in the morning. He kissed me quick. You’d think with all the banging we did, he’d be tired of me already but it seemed it made him want me more than ever. “Go Ji Eun, come.” He reached out his hand and guided me upstairs to my bedroom. ”I guess this is goodnight.” I couldn’t help but blush. 

”Thank you for last night”, I smiled.

”I hope you enjoyed it”, his eyes were giving out little sparks. 

”I did”, I gave him a slow kiss and smiled before going into my bedroom. As soon as I closed the door, I let myself cry. Since I had woken up, it had dawned upon me that in a few hours Kai was going to be on a flight and I wasn’t going to see him everyday. Nor touch him. Nor be his girlfriend because we had decided it was best if we weren’t together while away from each other. I had tried not to think about last night or breakdown in front of him but now  that I was alone, I couldn’t ignore the fact, and it hurt. It hurt so much I didn’t know what to do but cry uncontrollably and as quietly as I could.

 

 

 

Later

We were all sitting in the dining room having breakfast. It was unusually quiet and everyone was wearing a dark face. I was still doing my best not to cry or show any sign that I had been crying.

”Mr. Sanders will be waiting for you at the airport to take you to your dorm”, Mrs. Kim said. ”Remember to call between your flight changes, alright? We need to know if you’re okay.”

”Mom”, Kai whined. ”We’ve been to Boston several times before, I know what to do.”

”I’m sorry I ju..” Mrs. Kim burst out in tears. I almost joined her but stopped myself. “I can’t believe you’re leaving us already.”

“Mom”, Kai’s face was red. “You’ve been crying for a week now.”

“Understand your mother”, my dad said. “It saddens her.” Kai nodded knowingly.

“I’ll call as much as I can”, he said to his mother. “And we’ll video chat, so don’t be too sad. Not in front of Min Ho. Be happy, for his sake.” Kai gave his mother a hug.

 

 

We were in the airport, walking to the gateway. There was a soft song playing which matched perfectly with the pouring rain outside. Kai had his arm around me and my short self was leaning against his chest. Hearing the sound of his heart beating made me feel at ease.

”You okay?” He asked.

”No”, I said. 

”I’m sorry Ji Eun”, he held me closer. ”Really.”

”Don’t be”, I looked at him. ”I’m going to miss you.”

”Ji Eun”, Kai stopped walking and made me stand before him. ”I want you to be happy when I’m not here. Have fun a-”

”To all passengers boarding Flight UEC5 to Massachussets, the gates will open in 10 minutes. 10 minutes.” Just hearing I only had 10 minutes left with Kai before he would leave made me disappointed. 

Kai let me go as he got ready to say his goodbyes.

“It was a pleasure to get to know you father”, Kai politely bowed to my father.

“You sound like you’re never going to see me again”, my father laughed and gave him a hug. “You’ll be here on vacation too. Make sure to take good care of yourself over there.” Kai bowed again. When my dad stepped aside, he turned to Min Ho who had been very saddened by Kai’s departure but tried not to show it.

“Min Ho ah”, Kai sounded gentle for once. “I’m sorry I won’t be here to see you become a big boy. I won’t be able to make it to your games and help you with your homework. Big brother is sorry.”

“It’s okay”, Min Ho pouted. “At least noona will pay attention more to me now and not you.” That was one of the things he’d been saying since he found out about Kai leaving.

“Don’t try to steal her while I’m absent”, Kai joked. “I won’t forgive you.” Min Ho stuck out his tongue and went to his father’s side. Kai turned to me. The way he looked at me almost brought me to tears, but I managed to hold it in. I held it in just like I’d been doing for the entire month. 

I had accepted his departure yet here I was standing at the airport and not willing to see the love of my life leave.

“Go Ji Eun”, he said. There was a silence. “You’ve been a pain in the since the first time we spoke”, he smiled and at that moment I hated that smile more than anything. “I’ve disliked you, cursed you, humiliated you and fought with you more times than I wish I did. But then I got to know you and ever since, you’ve been opening new doors to my locked heart.” 

I wanted to smile back, but it hurt too much. 

“Now here we are and part of me wishes none of it would have happened. Because then I’d be going with no second thoughts or regrets at all. Yet the other part will forever be grateful to you in ways you can’t imagine.” Kai opened his backpack and pulled a little navy blue box out. “I know this is asking for too much”, he said. I waited patiently to hear the rest when he suddenly went down on one knee. 

“I know that 4 years is too much, but if I ask you to wait for me”, he looked me in the eyes as he opened the box.  My legs grew weak and I thought I was going to faint at the sight of it. “Will you keep this and wait for me?”

Unbelievable! I couldn’t believe what I  was looking at. And as if to aggravate my close to become heart attack, a person to my far left started singing.

“Will you marry me?” the person sang the first line of Lee Seung Gi’s Will you marry me so loudly the entire airport probably heard. I turned to see who it was in shock only to find Chen walking to us and right behind him, Lu Han followed.

As if they were doing a flash mob, Lime showed up followed by Se Hun, Tao, Su Ho and each and every one of my friends. They stood like a choir and continued to sing. Goosebumps came all over me.

Was this even real? I turned to Kai who was still in the same position and who was wearing that same smile that made me hate him. I carefully poked his cheek just to check if he was real. The singing was growing louder and people around were watching making me more embarrassed than I already was by the minute. The singing eventually stopped and my focus was mainly on the person in front of me.

“Go Ji Eun”, Kai called after a moment of me just staring at him. “Are you going to make me miss flight?” I couldn’t look away from the necklace. There was a wedding ring dangling around it. Did I want to hold on to it? Yes, I did more than anything and that scared me.

My breathing quickened and tears welled up my eyes, but I held it in. Or at least I tried to for his sake. I didn’t want his last memory of me to be one where I cry.

“Ji Eun ah?” He sounded worried.

“Y-yes”, I answered. “I’ll hold on to it.” His eyes lit up and he removed the necklaced from his box and put it around my neck with care. Kai kissed my hand and got up. Everywhere applauses could be heard. He looked down on me with the happiest smile.

“Future wife”, he said maintaining my eye level. Then he put his lips against mine with the most care in the world as he kissed me to my heart’s content. I was overjoyed of this moment.  So overjoyed it was killing me.  Kai ended the kiss and we leaned foreheads against each-others.

“I’ll probably miss you the least out of everyone”, he said. I knew he meant the actual opposite.

“I love you Kim Jong In”, I spoke from my heart.

“I love you too”, he replied. He then kissed me again. When he let go of me to hug the family one last time, I let out a tear. Before I knew it, he was waving waving goodbye while furthering away from me. And then puff, he was gone. Just like that.

“Ji Eun ah!” My friends hurried to my side. “Can we see the ring?” I heard them, but my eyes and brain were still on the vacant spot Kai was only recently standing at. ”Ji E…”

I finally broke in two and let it all out.

 

 

I don’t remember how I was brought to my room that day. Only that I woke up in bed in the middle of the night with a terrible headache, but I did remember the airport. My eyes directly went to shining engagement ring around my neck. When Kai had asked me to hold onto it, it wasn’t asking me to still be his girlfriend while he was away. He wasn’t trying to keep me tied up to him. He was asking me to live my life like we had agreed to but that  he wanted me to know it would still be him and I when he came back. Him giving me that beautiful necklace instead of a direct ring was to symbolise our love. It was the ring that’d make me Kim Jong In’s one and only wife if the future willed it.

 

 

 

 


 

A/N:

 

Wow guys!!! I can't believe this is the last chapter of the story already. I want to thank you guys for subscribing, commenting and also upvoting my story . I know I slacked with the updates , but I hope you still managed to enjoy it.

I hadn't been writing for a while now and it was a joy to rediscover this story and rework on it. 

 

Like I said, I have plans of a sequel but I haven't decided anything yet and don't know when or if it will be up. I migtht decide not to go ahead with it, but it all depends. 

 

I wish you guys all the best and I will hopefully see you soon.