The make up

Naughty Kiss

Knock! Knock! Knock!

This was the 3rd time we knocked on the door but no one had answered.

“She’s in there”, Lu Han said. He knocked again and the door opened abruptly.

“What?” Alice asked. She was clad in a cute blue lace dress and her red hair looked redder than ever in the big locks she had styled them in. Her eyes remained on me for a while and then on Kris who was standing next to me. “If you’ve come to apologise you can leave.” She motioned to close the door, but Kris stopped her.

“Alice”, he said, “the least you can do is listen to our apology.”

“I don’t want to”, she rolled her eyes. “You can’t force me.” I stared at her and kept at it for so long, she began switching position due to being uncomfortable.

“You want to behave like a rude little ?” I asked. The gasp she let out indicated I might have taken it too far, but I didn’t care. “Fine, do so. I’ll do the same.”

“Ya”, Lime said. “Ji Eun ah I don’t think you should d-” I pushed open Alice’s front door and grabbed Kris’s hand.

“Oppa”, I said. “Let’s go in.” I pushed him inside the apartment and turned to the others. “You guys wait here. We’ll be out in 10.” I pushed Alice inside.

“What do you think you’re doing?” She asked. I closed the door behind, and led both Alice and Kris to the kitchen I knew so well. The two sat down in front of each other and I stood arms crossed.

“Don’t waste your breath”, Alice said. “I won’t listen to your apology.”

“I’m not here to apologise”, I said. “I’m here to straighten you up.”

“Straighten me up?” She asked. “Straighten me up????” A chilling laugh came out . “I haven’t done anything to be straightened up.”

“You haven’t?!?” I shouted. “Ya, Song Joo Hee! Do you need me to spill cold water on your face so you’ll wake up? Cause I’ll do it if that’s what it takes.”

“Who are you calling Song Joo Hee?” She snarled. “My name is Alice!” She continued to stare at the fridge.

“Seriously”, I shook my head. “You know you started this so don’t even be angry at me. I should be the one angry at you!”

“I haven’t done you anything wrong”, she held.

 

“Yes you have”, I said. “Now that I think of it you’ve always had a problem with me. I used to notice how your face would change whenever Tao oppa joked around with so I tried to make him notice you because I thought you liked him. But then it turned out you didn’t, you liked Lu Han and you were just miserable that both Tao and Lu Han were paying attention to me and not you.” I saw her cheeks turn red and knew I was right. 

“Not to forget you hid the fact that you made out with Lu Han and the fact that you had a problem with my interest in Chen.  Why did you do that? You thought I wouldn’t want to be your friend anymore if I knew you liked the guys who liked me? Was I such a horrible friend that you’d think that of me?” She didn’t answer so I continued. “I’m not that selfish a person even if I may come out as selfish.” I waited for her to talk but she kept her lips tight. 

“And I can’t believe you thought Kris liked me when he was obviously all over you that day. I mean he was flirting with you all the time so what made you think that? And don’t even get me started about you spilling out everything I have told you confidentially.” She kept silent. “Joo Hee ah. Answer me!”

“Go Ji Eun”, she said after a while. “You don’t know do you?”

“Don’t know what?” I asked clueless.

“The effect you have on other people”, she said. “You don’t know the reason everyone always hates on you at school is because they envy you. You don’t know how all the girls always talk in secret about how gorgeous and nice you are or how everyone thinks you sing beautifully. You don’t know how all the boys wish they could be your boyfriends do you?”

“What are you talking about?” I frowned. Nothing she said made sense. Almost everyone at school hated me.

“I’m talking about how wherever you go you always seem to shine”, she yelled while looking at me. Alice shut her eyes and turned elsewhere. “At night I’ll be in bed and suddenly imagine how my school life would be like if I wasn’t your friend. People wouldn’t address me as Go Ji Eun’s friend, but by my own name. I wouldn’t need to think about how you always overshadow me in anyway.” 

She paused. “The reason I didn’t tell you about Lu Han was because I wanted to hold on to a little happiness of my own for even a little while, before something big would happen to you and that little thing that happened to me would be forgotten. And the Chen thing?” She jeered. “Why did I have to tell you about it? What would have been the point? He liked you, you liked him. Where would I fit in that perfect little picture?”

 

“The point would have been me trying not to hurt your feelings”, I argued.

“I don’t want you to pity me!” She yelled. “I don’t want to feel anymore worthless than I already feel like!”

“But Alice”, I said. “You’re not! And people do know your name.”

“I think I’m gonna g-” Kris stood up.

“Sit down!” Alice and I choired. Kris slumped in his chair and busied himself.

“Anyway you did warn me about Kris so it’s my fault”, Alice admitted, “But still. You should not have danced with him at all.”

 

“I can dance with whoever I want Alice”, I said. “I stopped him when he tried to kiss me because I knew you liked him, but other than that I did nothing wrong. We were drunk and got carried away so you need to accept that things like that do happen just like it happened between you and Lu Han.”

“It’s not the same”, Alice said.

“It might not be”, I agreed. “But we’re young and we make mistakes. The only way to deal with it is to get over it and move on with our lives. I understand that you have some kind of inferiority complex towards me and that it’s something you can’t help and-”

“Inferiority complex?” She laughed.

“And”, I repeated. “Although we’re on bad terms and found out heartbreaking things about each other, I still like you and I have always viewed you as a close friend. I hope you too feel the same and wish to put this thing behind us, if not for our friendship than at least for Lime, Se Hun, Lu Han and Tao oppa. We wouldn’t want to be selfish with our friends. That’s just not right, and it’s not fair to them. So if you decide you don’t want to rebuild our friendship, at least slowly, I suggest we stop hanging with the others and get new friends. 

Otherwise you can up the dignity you threw away at the camping trip and join the group for lunch for there is no way I’m not hanging out with my friends because of this bull you call a problem.” With those words said, I looked at Kris haughtily. “I give you 5 minutes to bring her out.” Kris winked and I left the apartment. Outside everyone was still waiting.

“How did it go?” Tao asked after I closed the door.

“I was a rude little ”, I smiled. Tao ruffled my hair.

“Good job”, he said. “She needs a taste of her own medicine.”

 

I nodded and focused on the door hoping and praying Kris would convince her to come out with us. As I waited, I grew more anxious by the second and began regretting some of the things I said. What if I was too mean? I was way too hard on her and now she probably felt insult-? The door opened and I immediate got up. Kris stepped out first. I eagerly waited and when he stepped aside to reveal the dooropening, I was relieved. Alice was standing there with her eyes glued on the floor. I wanted to hug her, but I kept my cool and stood up.

“How did you manage to convince her?” I quietly asked Kris who was standing next to me.

“I didn’t”, he said. “You did. I just apologised, sat there and let her yell at me.”

“It’s good to have you back”, Tao said.

“I’m sorry for- for the camping trip”, she said. “It won’t happen again.”

“Apology accepted”, Se Hun said. “Now please, let’s go eat.”

As everyone left in a haste, Kai held out his hand to me. I took it without hesitation.

 

 

 

Later

“You should have seen her”, Kris said. “Waaa, she showed true charisma.” He cleared his throat. “I give you 5 minutes to bring her out.” The entire table burst out in laughter.

“What kind of imitation is that?” I asked. “If you want to do it, then do it right!”

“But it’s true isn’t it?” Su Ho asked. “Ji Eun’s leader material.”

“Speaking of material”, Lime said. “You know… material, school, school material… What college is everyone applying to?”

”Already did my time” Su Ho grimaced. ”Never going back.”

“It’s a no for me”, Chen smiled. “Not for now anyway.”

“I’m going to art school”, Lu Han announced. “I sent my portfolio to several schools already and two want me to come for an interview.” 

“Really?” Chen asked. “That’s amazing. You’ve finally decided to do something with your talent.”

“Thanks, man!” Lu Han smiled at him. ”How about you, Lime?”

“Musical”, she smiled. “I’m going to study theatre and Broadway.” Wow! Lime had talent and I was positive she was going to make it but-

“English”, I said. “You need to work harder.”

 

“I know”, she pouted. “I’m looking for a tutor but they’re all taken.” I immediately turned to Kris.

“He’s from Canada”, I said. “He knows English by heart.”

“Ya!” Kris sneered. “Go Ji Eun, I swear I’m going to kill-” He stopped and smiled robotically at Lime. “I’d love to tutor you, but it’s going to be a bit difficult. As you know I don’t have much time on my schedule a-”

“It’s okay”, Lime said. “Right, Se Hun said he was going to be a personal trainer or a-”

“I knew it”, Tao blurted out. “I saw the brochure to that gym school.”

“I just wanted to be accepted before telling people”, Se Hun scratched his head. “I didn’t want to get my hopes up.”

“Well, you’re good at sports”, Kai said. “It’ll probably go well.” Se Hun stared at Kai for a few seconds before shaking his head and smiling.

“Thank you.”

“You lovebirds”, Su Ho said. “Where you going to?”

“Of course Kai is going to Seoul National University”, I answered with pride. “Right?”

“Y-yes”, Kai answered. I worried when I heard him stutter and saw the uneasiness on his face and was about to question him but he looked away. This brought silence to the table.

“I’m going to intern in London”, Alice announced. “I’m interning as a fashion designers assistant.”

“Daebak!” Chen said. “London is such a beautiful city.”

“She’s going to learn from the best”, Lime said. “I know I already said this but congratulations.” Alice smiled through all the congratulations and everyone continued to eat in silence except for the few times Tao and Chen asked to take group photos. 

 

 

 

As we were walking the streets of Hongdae after leaving my dad’s restaurant, people – mostly young girls, would turn around to look at the three idols. Exo was indeed the trend these days. I didn’t pay too much heed to it as my mind was too preoccupied with feeling worthless. Everyone of my friends knew what they were going to be doing in a few months, after school. They knew what they were going to do. Me? I had no idea. I had been so preoccupied with being Kai’s girlfriend, anything regarding what was going to happen after high school had slipped my mind. I knew I wanted to work in a creative field but I didn’t know precisely which creative field I wanted to be a part of.

“You guys are so lucky”, I mumbled. “You all have plans after school. I have no clue.”

“I thought you said your goal in life was to be Kai’s wife”, Tao said. My face grew red when everyone turned their eyes on me. Kris’s mocking eyes weighed the most.

“Seriously?” Su Ho asked. I could hear the laughter he tried so hard to hide and it didn’t take long before everyone let theirs out.

“So embarrassing”, I face palmed myself. “Ya oppa!” Tao took a few steps back when he heard my scolding tone. “You wanna die? You know I won’t hear the end of this from that idiot over there!” I pointed my finger at Kris. He was currently laughing so hard he had to lean on Se Hun to stand on both his feet.

“I’m n-not an idiot” He struggled to say halfway in-between laughter. “And show some respect to your elder.”

“Whatever you say grandpa”, I jokingly bowed before walking off to look around for a coffee shop. “I’m going to buy something warm to drink, I’ll be right back.” I passed through our overly crowded group to the coffee shop. I entered the fifth shop I found and took my time to look over their menu. As I was struggling to chose something, I felt a hand wrap around my wrist. Realising it was Kris by his body shape and height, I eased up however when he pulled me along with him to the secluded backside of the shop, I got nervous. Kris, whose face was hidden by his baseball cap, pinned me against a wall and gave me sly look.

“What is going on?” I asked but he kept staring. “What are you doing?”

“Go Ji Eun”, he finally said. “You can’t get away with calling me a grandpa.” I frowned. He was doing all of this because I called him a grandpa?

“I just figured”, I began, ” I’d better come up with a nickname since you’re probably going to call me Kai’s wife for as long as I live.”

“You know me too well”, he smiled and let go of my hands. “But you’re wrong. My new nickname for you is simply Manura (wife). Look forward to it.” He did his infamous wink and left.

“The heck?” I asked while massaging my red wrist.  What the hell was going on with Kris lately? And why was everyone pinning me down today? Was this some kind of new trend? Like a pin Go Ji Eun day or event?

“Forget it.” I shook my head and walked back to the main part of the shop to check the menu only to find both Kris and Kai there. Kris in the queue and Kai sitting at a table.

“Where did you go?” He asked raising his eyebrow.

“Grandpa tried to mess with me”, I answered while eying Kris who was focused on the menu. “Why are you guys here?”

“I’m getting drinks for Lu Han, Alice and Se Hun”, Kris said. “The others are buying bubble tea.”

“You don’t want anything?” I asked Kai who simply shook his head.

“What do you want?” Kris asked. “I’ll buy you something delicious since I have special discount.”

“Really?” I smiled but it quickly faded away. “You’re not going to ask me for a favour later are you?”

“Of course not”, he pouted. “Do you want chai latte or lemon tea?”

“What are you getting?” I asked.

“You know what I’m getting”, he answered enthusiastically. “The Kris special.”

I scoffed when a memory from summer came into mind. It was one late night at the Sm academy’s building when the guys were taking a break from their practice and wanted some beverages. Chen, Kris and I went to the little shop I had closed hours before to make simple non alcoholic drinks or, simply said, juices, for everyone.

Kris was very dehydrated and on the bridge of insanity, so when Chen and I made the different cold thirst-quenchers, he mixed 5 of them to make something unique.  Everyone who tasted it thought it was disgusting but Kris drank it one shot. He loved the taste he said, and about an hour later he had driven everyone around him to the same level of insanity he was on. 

The next morning, Kris didn’t come to practice because he was suffering from diarrhea and had us all going to Exo’s dorm to keep him company. That day he swore he was never going to drink something like that again, but he broke his promise barely a week later. This became a repetitive process and finally Baekhyun named the drink “the Kris Special”.

“You’re not”, I said. "I’m not letting you drink that.”

“I need energy”, he argued.

“I’ll throw it away if you buy it”, I warned him. “I’m speaking on behalf of everyone when I say you shouldn’t drink it.”

“Fine”, he gave up. “I won’t buy it.” I left Kris to make the order and then took a sit besides Kai. I leaned against the table and watched his every move with my chin resting in the palm of my hand. I was watching his eyes move as they focused on my hands and then his slightly pink nose and flushed cheeks and finally his plump lips that he was biting.

“Did I do this in the morning?” He asked. I followed his eyes and saw that my right wrist was still red. A circled line was visible around it. “I’m sorry.”

“It wasn’t you”, I said. “It was Kris.”

“Kris?” He narrowed his eyes.

“He was telling me something about nicknames”, I mumbled while focused on my wrists. Kai took a closer look at the mark. “It’s fine.”

“Go Ji Eun”, his voice was so cold I got goosbumps. “Are you telling me not to worry about someone who left bruises on my wife’s body right now?”

“Yeah do-“, I interrupted myself and gawked at him. “What did you just call me?” Kai bit his lip again. Was this a habit he had taken from me?

“Nothing”, he hastily answered. “I didn’t say anything. At all.” Kai turned his eyes to the back of the room and I turned into a laughing monster. “You didn’t hear anything.”

“You called me your wife”, I said laughing.

“I didn’t” He whined. “Stop it already.” Seeing this side of Kai was too much for me.

“I’m sorry”, I apologised. I managed to stop, but then he had to make eye contact with me and make me start all over again. Kai laid his head down on the table in defeat. A few minutes later my laughter died out and I joined him by putting my head next to his and holding his hand. “I said I’m sorry.” He opened his eyes and I slowly decreased the space between us. My heart was beating the closer we got and I planted a small peck on his lips. I was about to back away but Kai pulled me forward.

“You call that a kiss?” He asked. I saw his lips coming closer to mine but my sight of vision was blocked by a plastic takeaway mug that now stood in-between mine and Kai’s lips. I immediately got up and to scold the intruder but Kris had run out already.

Kai stopped me from rushing out after him by putting his arm around my shoulder and pulling me into a kiss. Forgetting about Kris, I eased into the kiss feeling like the luckiest girl in the world.